• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

My 1st Traveller GM Experience!

I finally got a couple sessions completed and we are having a blast. My wife generated a merchant character and I whipped up a couple NPCs (an army shooter and a scout with a detached duty courier) to accompany her on a simple introductory adventure I had whipped up. The army shooter died in that session but they overcame the rest of the obstacles and finished the first mission.

The second session was basic playing off the cuff, my wife wanted to stretch her merchant role playing so she and the NPC scout decided to convert three of the ship's cabins into separate four ton holds for a total carrying capacity of 15 tons (plus another four if the air/raft was utilized) and they embarked on some basic speculation trading with a few random encounters I had whipped up in advance to utilize when the opportunity existed.

I'm sticking with the basic Books:1-3 for now until my GM legs grow, and will introduce Books:4-8 and the Supplements I own as I feel the need for them. I'm thinking of kicking off the next session with Introductory Adventure: Imperial Fringe just to engage in some more off the cuff gaming with that book. :cool:

Sound like a good start, and Hooray for getting your wife involved! :)

One question: was Army Guy wearing a red shirt? ;)

Traveller for everyone!

Dude... that's awesome!

There are several RPGs out there that, for one reason or another, more ladies seem to gravitate to. Vampire: the Masquerade was a perfect example. Women, both those in my personal circle of friends, and (especially) at conventions, embraced this game (no pun intended) whole-heartedly.

Certainly in the past few years, particularly with the release of 5th edition, Dungeons & Dragons has also caught the imagination of any number of women.

Sadly, however, I personally haven't seen significant number of ladies find Traveller particularly inspiring. If you don't mind me asking, what does your wife enjoy about your games? What inspires her to play? What does she think would make the game more appealing to women? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Last edited:
seen significant number of ladies find Traveller particularly inspiring. If you don't mind me asking, what does your wife enjoy about your games? What inspires her to play? What does she think would make the game more appealing to women? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I started her out with Moldvay/Cook D&D about the time Lord of the Rings was becoming a hot theatrical success. She likes the realm of magic and magical settings. I moved her onto Star Frontiers but she did not take to that at all. Fearing for the worst, I thought Traveller would be a repeat but she really took to it.

I think she liked the fact that the first adventure was one I penned whereas D&D and Star Frontiers were fired up with published modules...so the simple fact that it was my own brainstorm must have given it more meaning. She has always admired my creative nature when it comes to art and stories so that no doubt had some influence. That and the months I spent online reading up on the game, rendering (and re-rendering) ships in MS Paint, and acquiring books etc probably stoked her curiosity. ;)

I'll have to hit her up on what makes it appealing to women though.

Sounds like a fun time!

Are you playing Classic Traveller, or one of the Mongoose versions?

How much experience do you have playing Traveller before jumping into refereeing? :)

Are you playing Classic Traveller, or one of the Mongoose versions?

For now it's just CT Books 1-3, although I own 4-8 and a few supplements for when I'm ready to stretch my GM legs and expand the game. :cool:

How much experience do you have playing Traveller before jumping into refereeing? :)

I was a player in the mid 80's for a couple of years but never owned any of the books until now (with the exception of Supplement-7 that I acquired to house rule some ship rules for another sci fi game in the 80's).

Yay for more Traveller peeps! :)

I actually run with CT Books 1-3 and supplement 4.

I did end up introducing some Mongoose elements (mainly the skill task system, which ironically is what I had been doing since the mid-80's anyway) but I still have almost all the classic books so there's tons of content to go through.

We need more Travellers!

Congratulations on spreading the Bug. :)

My wife and I have been gaming together since the spring of 1978 when I got her involved with the gaming club at college. Little Black Books for Traveller and Little Brown Books for DnD (still have both sets).

The big Bug, when I started teaching her to brew after we got married in 1982. :)

Sounds like fun, and a good start!

I've been wanting to do something like that myself, for some time now, but still haven't done it. Hope to do so soon, either solo, or with other interested parties.

I'd like to do it with miniatures too, just for grins. Working on spacecraft, a spaceport, and other stuff to support that, just to make it a bit more interesting, and visually appealing.

My wife and I have been gaming together since the spring of 1978 when I got her involved with the gaming club at college. Little Black Books for Traveller and Little Brown Books for DnD (still have both sets).

I was a wee lad of 12 when I acquired my Moldvay Basic D&D hot off the press in 1981. I remember seeing those brown books at a hobby store back then and thinking what "old crap" they were...ah, sins of youth that lead to the constant kicking of one's self later in life.

The Moldvay book didn't have a brown cover. It has artwork on the front and was red. There was the red Basic rules and later the blue Expert rules.

The three little brown books were the original version of D&D which still looked a lot better presentation wise than the wargame rules I was buying at the time :)

The Moldvay book didn't have a brown cover. It has artwork on the front and was red. There was the red Basic rules and later the blue Expert rules.

The three little brown books were the original version of D&D which still looked a lot better presentation wise than the wargame rules I was buying at the time :)

Yep, what I was saying is I started with the Moldvay/Cook boxed sets and later found the brown books at a hobby shop, only to disregard said brown books not knowing anything about them. Sins of youth. :( :eek:o:

Back