• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

My CT House Rules

Golan2072

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award
Marquis
WJP's excellent modifications to CT have made me feel that I should post a comprehensive, consolidated version of my own modifications to our beloved game.

---

Character Generation
My character generation method is based on the "basic" one (i.e. LBB1/S4), with a few elements borrowed from MT and T4. All of my rules regarging character generation could be found here (thanks to Neil Ford for converting them to PDF).

---

Task Resolution
(based on Paul Elliott's Task System for CT with Paul Elliott's permission).

2d6 roll required

Difficulties:
Easy 4+
Average 8+
Difficult 10+
Formidable 12+
Extreme 16+
Impossible 20+

DMs + relevent skill
+/- attribute derived bonus
+/- equipment derived midifier
+/- environmental/situational derived modifier

Note that a "natuarl" (i.e. regardless of DMs) roll of exactly 2 is ALWAYS a failure. Even the most gifted and talented expert sometimes fails. A "natural" (i.e. regardless of DMs) roll of exactly 12 is an automatic sucess, but not in Extreme and Impossible tasks.

Unskilled characters suffer from a -2 DM if the lacking skill is a common one (such as Ground Vehicle or Brawling) or a -4 DM if the skill is a more obscure or complex one (such as Medic or Gravitics); unskilled characters still receive Attribute DMs. A skill of 0 negates this penalty, but does not give a Skill DM.

Attribute DM is given on the following table:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Attribute DM
2 or lower -3
3-4 -2
5-6 -1
7 0
8-9 +1
10-11 +2
12-13 +3
14 or higher +4</pre>[/QUOTE]For example, Telina (UPP 879775, Mechanics-1), a belter, is trying to fix her Seeker's malfunctioning landing gear; the referee decides that repairing the malfunction would be an Avarage task, using the Mechanics skill and DEX. Since this is an avarage task, the Target Number is 8; since Telina's Dexterity is 7, she has no attribute DM ; she also recieves a +1 Skill DM. She rolls 9 on 2D, and thus succeeds (9+1=10; 10 is greater than 8). If she had DEX 4-, she'd still pass the check, (9+1-1=9; 9 is still greater than 8).

Each task has ONE relevant skill and ONE relevant attribute. Combat (whether personal, vehicle or naval) is based on tasks. Task system attribute DMs replace the LBB1/LBB4 favorable/minimal weapon DMs.

Tasks are listed in the following format: SKILL (ATTRIBUTE, DIFFICULTY, TIME). For example, fixing minor damage to a vehicle is a Mechanical (DEX, Easy, 1hour) task. Time is ommited if the task is immidiate or takes a non-defined period of time - for example, hitting someone in combat with an autopistol in Effective Range is essentially a Pistol (DEX, Avarage) task.

Attribute-only Tasks: When no skill is deemed relevant to the task at hand, ommit skill DMs alltogether but DOUBLE the Attribute DMs. For example, Telina (UPP 879775) tries to break open a locked wooden door (an Easy task) using her Strength alone. As her strength is equal to the Target Number (both are 8), she recieves a +2 DM (double than normal); she rolls 11 and succeeds (11+2=13; 13 is greater than 8).

Contest of Characteristics: When two characters directly contest their raw abilities (such as in arm wrestling, running, swimming etc) with no relevant skill involved, each character rolls 2d6 and adds that to her relevant characteristic; the character with the highest total wins. If another characteristic is deemed relevant, and one character has that characteristic at a double level than the other character, she adds a +1 DM to her roll. For example, Telina (UPP 879775) arms wrestles (that is, contests in STR) with Constantine (UPP A9C568); Telina rolls 5 and Constantin rolls 2; Telina wins (5+8=13; 10+2=12; 13 is greater than 12).

Contest of Skills: When two characters directly contest their skills (vehicle racing, gambling, trying to impress a noble with their programming skills and so on), each character rolls 2d6 and adds her relevant DMs (skill, attribute etc) to it. The character with the highest total wins. For example, Telina (UPP 879775, Air/Raft-1) races in an air/raft (that is, contests in the Air/Raft skill, which is a DEX-based task) against Constantine (UPP A9C568, Air/Raft-2); Telina rolls 6 and Constantine rolls 8; Constantine recieves a +1 DM for having DEX of 9, while Telina recieves no DM for having DEX of 7. Constantine wins (8+2+1=11; 6+1+0=7; 11 is greater than 7).

Opposed Tasks: When one character attempts to perform a task and another character tries to prevent her from doing so, first determine the Difficulty, and then roll 2d6 with the first character's skill and characteristic DMs (again, treat characteristic DMs as if the task has a difficulty of Average) as positive DMs and the opponent's skill and characteristic DMs as negative DMs; if the result is equal to or higher than the Target Number set by the Difficulty, the first character succeeds. For example, Telina (UPP 879775, Communications-2) tries to contact a ship in orbit by radio (Average (8) when being jammed; INT is relevant) while Constantine (UPP A9C568, Communications-1) tries to jam her transmission; Tellina rolls 5 and thus fails (5+2+0-1+1=7; 7 is less than 8).

Cooperating on a Task: Is more than one person is working on the same task (for example, a repair job), use the attribute DM of the participant with the most extreme (positive OR negative - clumsy people could hinder your work!) relevant attribute DMs, and the skill DM of the most skilled participant; apply a +1 DM per person involved beyond the first. Note that the Referee is encouraged to follow her or his common sense when determining the number of people who could cooperate in the same time on the same task - too many people might hinder the job or would lack physical access. When determining the effects of equipment on a cooperative task, and not all the participants use the same quality of equipment, use the avarage equipment DM (round down).

---

Psionics
Most psionic powers will automatically succeed once the psi points are invested; however, to succeed in penetrating a shield, an Opposed Task is required with a Difficulty of Average (8); instead of the skill/characteristic modifier, use the difference between the attackers' PSI attribute and the defender's one (Attacker-Defender=DM). An artificial shield gives a DM of -4 instead.

Unlike LBB3, I suggest that all telepathic powers may be able to penetrate shields (not only Assault); however, they still have to beat the shield.

A contest between two 'teeks' (i.e. 2 Telekenesis users pulling the same object in different directions) is resolved in the same manner.

Also, I suggest that psi users may be able to boost their apparent PSI attribute for the purpose of shielding/shield penetration (and for that purpose only) by expanding additional PSI points (one apparent PSI per point spent; influences one opposed check). So shielding could still be a tiring effort - especially if you're trying to block a very strong teep from taking a peep into your head.

WJP's excellent modifications to CT have made me feel that I should post a comprehensive, consolidated version of my own modifications to our beloved game.

---

Character Generation
My character generation method is based on the "basic" one (i.e. LBB1/S4), with a few elements borrowed from MT and T4. All of my rules regarging character generation could be found here (thanks to Neil Ford for converting them to PDF).

---

Task Resolution
(based on Paul Elliott's Task System for CT with Paul Elliott's permission).

2d6 roll required

Difficulties:
Easy 4+
Average 8+
Difficult 10+
Formidable 12+
Extreme 16+
Impossible 20+

DMs + relevent skill
+/- attribute derived bonus
+/- equipment derived midifier
+/- environmental/situational derived modifier

Note that a "natuarl" (i.e. regardless of DMs) roll of exactly 2 is ALWAYS a failure. Even the most gifted and talented expert sometimes fails. A "natural" (i.e. regardless of DMs) roll of exactly 12 is an automatic sucess, but not in Extreme and Impossible tasks.

Unskilled characters suffer from a -2 DM if the lacking skill is a common one (such as Ground Vehicle or Brawling) or a -4 DM if the skill is a more obscure or complex one (such as Medic or Gravitics); unskilled characters still receive Attribute DMs. A skill of 0 negates this penalty, but does not give a Skill DM.

Attribute DM is given on the following table:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Attribute DM
2 or lower -3
3-4 -2
5-6 -1
7 0
8-9 +1
10-11 +2
12-13 +3
14 or higher +4</pre>[/QUOTE]For example, Telina (UPP 879775, Mechanics-1), a belter, is trying to fix her Seeker's malfunctioning landing gear; the referee decides that repairing the malfunction would be an Avarage task, using the Mechanics skill and DEX. Since this is an avarage task, the Target Number is 8; since Telina's Dexterity is 7, she has no attribute DM ; she also recieves a +1 Skill DM. She rolls 9 on 2D, and thus succeeds (9+1=10; 10 is greater than 8). If she had DEX 4-, she'd still pass the check, (9+1-1=9; 9 is still greater than 8).

Each task has ONE relevant skill and ONE relevant attribute. Combat (whether personal, vehicle or naval) is based on tasks. Task system attribute DMs replace the LBB1/LBB4 favorable/minimal weapon DMs.

Tasks are listed in the following format: SKILL (ATTRIBUTE, DIFFICULTY, TIME). For example, fixing minor damage to a vehicle is a Mechanical (DEX, Easy, 1hour) task. Time is ommited if the task is immidiate or takes a non-defined period of time - for example, hitting someone in combat with an autopistol in Effective Range is essentially a Pistol (DEX, Avarage) task.

Attribute-only Tasks: When no skill is deemed relevant to the task at hand, ommit skill DMs alltogether but DOUBLE the Attribute DMs. For example, Telina (UPP 879775) tries to break open a locked wooden door (an Easy task) using her Strength alone. As her strength is equal to the Target Number (both are 8), she recieves a +2 DM (double than normal); she rolls 11 and succeeds (11+2=13; 13 is greater than 8).

Contest of Characteristics: When two characters directly contest their raw abilities (such as in arm wrestling, running, swimming etc) with no relevant skill involved, each character rolls 2d6 and adds that to her relevant characteristic; the character with the highest total wins. If another characteristic is deemed relevant, and one character has that characteristic at a double level than the other character, she adds a +1 DM to her roll. For example, Telina (UPP 879775) arms wrestles (that is, contests in STR) with Constantine (UPP A9C568); Telina rolls 5 and Constantin rolls 2; Telina wins (5+8=13; 10+2=12; 13 is greater than 12).

Contest of Skills: When two characters directly contest their skills (vehicle racing, gambling, trying to impress a noble with their programming skills and so on), each character rolls 2d6 and adds her relevant DMs (skill, attribute etc) to it. The character with the highest total wins. For example, Telina (UPP 879775, Air/Raft-1) races in an air/raft (that is, contests in the Air/Raft skill, which is a DEX-based task) against Constantine (UPP A9C568, Air/Raft-2); Telina rolls 6 and Constantine rolls 8; Constantine recieves a +1 DM for having DEX of 9, while Telina recieves no DM for having DEX of 7. Constantine wins (8+2+1=11; 6+1+0=7; 11 is greater than 7).

Opposed Tasks: When one character attempts to perform a task and another character tries to prevent her from doing so, first determine the Difficulty, and then roll 2d6 with the first character's skill and characteristic DMs (again, treat characteristic DMs as if the task has a difficulty of Average) as positive DMs and the opponent's skill and characteristic DMs as negative DMs; if the result is equal to or higher than the Target Number set by the Difficulty, the first character succeeds. For example, Telina (UPP 879775, Communications-2) tries to contact a ship in orbit by radio (Average (8) when being jammed; INT is relevant) while Constantine (UPP A9C568, Communications-1) tries to jam her transmission; Tellina rolls 5 and thus fails (5+2+0-1+1=7; 7 is less than 8).

Cooperating on a Task: Is more than one person is working on the same task (for example, a repair job), use the attribute DM of the participant with the most extreme (positive OR negative - clumsy people could hinder your work!) relevant attribute DMs, and the skill DM of the most skilled participant; apply a +1 DM per person involved beyond the first. Note that the Referee is encouraged to follow her or his common sense when determining the number of people who could cooperate in the same time on the same task - too many people might hinder the job or would lack physical access. When determining the effects of equipment on a cooperative task, and not all the participants use the same quality of equipment, use the avarage equipment DM (round down).

---

Psionics
Most psionic powers will automatically succeed once the psi points are invested; however, to succeed in penetrating a shield, an Opposed Task is required with a Difficulty of Average (8); instead of the skill/characteristic modifier, use the difference between the attackers' PSI attribute and the defender's one (Attacker-Defender=DM). An artificial shield gives a DM of -4 instead.

Unlike LBB3, I suggest that all telepathic powers may be able to penetrate shields (not only Assault); however, they still have to beat the shield.

A contest between two 'teeks' (i.e. 2 Telekenesis users pulling the same object in different directions) is resolved in the same manner.

Also, I suggest that psi users may be able to boost their apparent PSI attribute for the purpose of shielding/shield penetration (and for that purpose only) by expanding additional PSI points (one apparent PSI per point spent; influences one opposed check). So shielding could still be a tiring effort - especially if you're trying to block a very strong teep from taking a peep into your head.

Examples of my Task System

1) Valdimir, a Free Trader Captain (UPP 57887A, Admin-1) is attempting to convince the local starport authorities in an over-crowded Staport-D to grant him a better launch priority (he cheated a drunk ex-Marine in a pocker game and was found out, so he needs to make himself scarce, and fast, before that bozo gathers his ex-Marine friends to beat poor Vlad into submission). This is an Admin (SOC, Avarage) task. Vlad has a +1 DM due to his skill, and another +2 DM due to his SOC of A, for a total +3 DM. He rolls a 7 and succeeds (7+1+2=10; 9 is greater than 8).

2) Bashir, a Solar Triumvirate Marine (UPP 889767, Electronic-3) wants to bypass an electronic lock on a bulkhead in a seemingly abandoned colony (seems familiar, isn't it?
). He posseses a standard-issue electronic toolkit, so there are no equipment DMs. This is a Electronic (INT ,Easy, 1 minute) task. He does not gain any attribute DMs, but he has a +2 skill DM. He rolls a 5 and succeeds (5+2=7; 7 is greater than 4). By the way, in the case of locks, the Locksmith skill can substitute both Mechanical and Electronics when dealing with locks, but Mechanical could be used for openning mechanical locks, and Electronic could be used when opening electronic locks; Locksmith is the only skill that could be used for complex safecracking.

3) Irena, a Medic onboard an Alliance exploratory vessel exploring the extreme Spinward frontiers [of MTU] (UPP 596887, Medic-3) tries to remove an alien parasite from Anton's (another crewmember) braincase. Her ship's Medlab is quite sufficient for most frontier tasks, but brain surgery is quite hard to perform alone in such a facility, giving her a -1 Equipment DM. This is a Medic (DEX, Formidable, 3 hours) task. She has a +1 Attribute DM and a +3 Skill DM. She rolls 8 and fails (8+3+1-1=11; 11 is lower than 12).

Examples of my Task System

1) Valdimir, a Free Trader Captain (UPP 57887A, Admin-1) is attempting to convince the local starport authorities in an over-crowded Staport-D to grant him a better launch priority (he cheated a drunk ex-Marine in a pocker game and was found out, so he needs to make himself scarce, and fast, before that bozo gathers his ex-Marine friends to beat poor Vlad into submission). This is an Admin (SOC, Avarage) task. Vlad has a +1 DM due to his skill, and another +2 DM due to his SOC of A, for a total +3 DM. He rolls a 7 and succeeds (7+1+2=10; 9 is greater than 8).

2) Bashir, a Solar Triumvirate Marine (UPP 889767, Electronic-3) wants to bypass an electronic lock on a bulkhead in a seemingly abandoned colony (seems familiar, isn't it?
). He posseses a standard-issue electronic toolkit, so there are no equipment DMs. This is a Electronic (INT ,Easy, 1 minute) task. He does not gain any attribute DMs, but he has a +2 skill DM. He rolls a 5 and succeeds (5+2=7; 7 is greater than 4). By the way, in the case of locks, the Locksmith skill can substitute both Mechanical and Electronics when dealing with locks, but Mechanical could be used for openning mechanical locks, and Electronic could be used when opening electronic locks; Locksmith is the only skill that could be used for complex safecracking.

3) Irena, a Medic onboard an Alliance exploratory vessel exploring the extreme Spinward frontiers [of MTU] (UPP 596887, Medic-3) tries to remove an alien parasite from Anton's (another crewmember) braincase. Her ship's Medlab is quite sufficient for most frontier tasks, but brain surgery is quite hard to perform alone in such a facility, giving her a -1 Equipment DM. This is a Medic (DEX, Formidable, 3 hours) task. She has a +1 Attribute DM and a +3 Skill DM. She rolls 8 and fails (8+3+1-1=11; 11 is lower than 12).

A note on Probabilities

Skills help the avarage person more than attributes. Even a skill of 0. Remember that most characters would have attributes between 5 and 9, with DMs ranging from -1 to +1. DMs of -2 or +2 are uncommon; DMs of -3 or +3 (or more) are RARE.

Now, the pentalty for not having a skill is, at best (for a simple and common skill) a -2 DM and at worst (for a complex skill) a -4 DM. So an unskilled person should be quite gifted (attribute 10+) to overcome this penalty for a simple skill; only the truely exceptional talents (attribute 14+) could make an unskilled person perform at no penalty at a complex skill. A Skill-0 negates this penalty, but gives no favorable DM.

Note that the highest possible chance is 97% and not 100% as a roll of 2 is always an automatic failure. The lowest chance of success is 3%, since 12 is an automatic success, but not for Extreme and Impossible tasks.

For example, an avarage person (UPP 777777) tries to perform a task in a simple skill he's untrained in. He'll have the following chances of success:
Easy 72%
Avarage 17%
Difficult 3%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

If the skill was a complex one, the probabilities will be:
Easy 42%
Avarage 3%
Difficult 3%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

If that avarage person had a Skill-0, in both cases:
Easy 92%
Avarage 42%
Difficult 17%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

If that person was gifted in the relevant attribute (10+, giving a +2 DM), the chances will be for a simple skill:
Easy 92%
Avarage 42%
Difficult 17%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

for a complex skill:
Easy 72%
Avarage 17%
Difficult 3%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

So for simple and common skills, exceptional attributes could compensate for the lack of skills; for complex skills, training is irreplacable.

For an avarage character (UPP 777777) with Skill-1, the probabilities of success will be:
Easy 97%
Avarage 58%
Difficult 28%
Formidable 8%
Extreme N/A
Impossible NA

An avarage professional (UPP 777777, skill-3) will have the following chances of success:
Easy 97%
Avarage 83%
Difficult 58%
Formidable 28%
Extreme N/A
Impossible NA

A talented professional (relevant attribute 8 or 9; skill-3) will have the following chances of success:
Easy 97%
Avarage 92%
Difficult 72%
Formidable 42%
Extreme 3%
Impossible NA (you'd still need outstanding environmental/equipment DMs)

An expert with a slight aptitude (relevant attribute 8 or 9, Skill-5) will have the following chances of success:
Easy 97%
Avarage 97%
Difficult 92%
Formidable 72%
Extreme 17%

A genius (sp?) expert (relevant attribute 12-13, Skill-5) would have the following chances of success:
Easy 97%
Avarage 97%
Difficult 97%
Formidable 92%
Extreme 42%
Impossible 3%

A note on Probabilities

Skills help the avarage person more than attributes. Even a skill of 0. Remember that most characters would have attributes between 5 and 9, with DMs ranging from -1 to +1. DMs of -2 or +2 are uncommon; DMs of -3 or +3 (or more) are RARE.

Now, the pentalty for not having a skill is, at best (for a simple and common skill) a -2 DM and at worst (for a complex skill) a -4 DM. So an unskilled person should be quite gifted (attribute 10+) to overcome this penalty for a simple skill; only the truely exceptional talents (attribute 14+) could make an unskilled person perform at no penalty at a complex skill. A Skill-0 negates this penalty, but gives no favorable DM.

Note that the highest possible chance is 97% and not 100% as a roll of 2 is always an automatic failure. The lowest chance of success is 3%, since 12 is an automatic success, but not for Extreme and Impossible tasks.

For example, an avarage person (UPP 777777) tries to perform a task in a simple skill he's untrained in. He'll have the following chances of success:
Easy 72%
Avarage 17%
Difficult 3%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

If the skill was a complex one, the probabilities will be:
Easy 42%
Avarage 3%
Difficult 3%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

If that avarage person had a Skill-0, in both cases:
Easy 92%
Avarage 42%
Difficult 17%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

If that person was gifted in the relevant attribute (10+, giving a +2 DM), the chances will be for a simple skill:
Easy 92%
Avarage 42%
Difficult 17%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

for a complex skill:
Easy 72%
Avarage 17%
Difficult 3%
Formidable 3%
Extreme NA
Impossible NA

So for simple and common skills, exceptional attributes could compensate for the lack of skills; for complex skills, training is irreplacable.

For an avarage character (UPP 777777) with Skill-1, the probabilities of success will be:
Easy 97%
Avarage 58%
Difficult 28%
Formidable 8%
Extreme N/A
Impossible NA

An avarage professional (UPP 777777, skill-3) will have the following chances of success:
Easy 97%
Avarage 83%
Difficult 58%
Formidable 28%
Extreme N/A
Impossible NA

A talented professional (relevant attribute 8 or 9; skill-3) will have the following chances of success:
Easy 97%
Avarage 92%
Difficult 72%
Formidable 42%
Extreme 3%

An expert with a slight aptitude (relevant attribute 8 or 9, Skill-5) will have the following chances of success:
Easy 97%
Avarage 97%
Difficult 92%
Formidable 72%
Extreme 17%

A genius (sp?) expert (relevant attribute 12-13, Skill-5) would have the following chances of success:
Easy 97%
Avarage 97%
Difficult 97%
Formidable 92%
Extreme 42%
Impossible 3%

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
2d6 roll required

Difficulties:
Easy 4+
Average 8+
Difficult 10+
Formidable 12+
Extreme 16+
Impossible 20+
Hey, Emp,

Interesting system. Obviously you've put a lot of work into it.

One suggestion--

From looking at your difficulty steps and the probabilties you posted, your steps in your difficulty chart look a bit "too-much".

You probability jumps are decent sized jumps. You might want to consider tweaking the numbers a bit--give an average PC with Stat-7, Skill-2 a bit more of a break than what you're giving him.

I (and most system designers) consider this to be an idea breakdown for Traveller--

Very Easy - around 100%
Easy - around 100%
Average - around 80%
Difficult - around 60%
Formidable - around 40%
Staggering - around 20%
Impossible - around 0%

I tend to modify this bit as I like the really, really hard difficulties (Formidable+) to be very hard--so I like the drop off to be stiffer (more steep) than what I've show above.

Your Skill-3, Stat-7 probabilities look good--but for a Skill-2, Stat-7 character.

If it were me using this system, I'd try to tweak my difficulties a bit to get a better range of difficulty levels--I'd try to make it a little easier for a Stat-7, Skill-2 character to succeed.

--Just a constructive comment.

Best,

W.

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
2d6 roll required

Difficulties:
Easy 4+
Average 8+
Difficult 10+
Formidable 12+
Extreme 16+
Impossible 20+
Hey, Emp,

Interesting system. Obviously you've put a lot of work into it.

One suggestion--

From looking at your difficulty steps and the probabilties you posted, your steps in your difficulty chart look a bit "too-much".

You probability jumps are decent sized jumps. You might want to consider tweaking the numbers a bit--give an average PC with Stat-7, Skill-2 a bit more of a break than what you're giving him.

I (and most system designers) consider this to be an idea breakdown for Traveller--

Very Easy - around 100%
Easy - around 100%
Average - around 80%
Difficult - around 60%
Formidable - around 40%
Staggering - around 20%
Impossible - around 0%

I tend to modify this bit as I like the really, really hard difficulties (Formidable+) to be very hard--so I like the drop off to be stiffer (more steep) than what I've show above.

Your Skill-3, Stat-7 probabilities look good--but for a Skill-2, Stat-7 character.

If it were me using this system, I'd try to tweak my difficulties a bit to get a better range of difficulty levels--I'd try to make it a little easier for a Stat-7, Skill-2 character to succeed.

--Just a constructive comment.

Best,

W.

What if I "push" the entire system one step down, i.e. 2 becomes Easy, 4 becomes Avarage, 8 becomes Difficult and so on? Will it fix the odds?

What if I "push" the entire system one step down, i.e. 2 becomes Easy, 4 becomes Avarage, 8 becomes Difficult and so on? Will it fix the odds?

Just do what we did for CT+ - which uses the same target numbers ;)

Make the characteristic bonus equal to stat/4 round down.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:

So, it'll be that way:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Characteristic DM
1-3 0
4-7 +1
8-11 +2
12-15 +3
16-19 +4
20 or more +5</pre>[/QUOTE]A table, allowing the player to note bonouses on his/her char sheet, is easier to use IMHO than in-game calculations.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:

So, it'll be that way:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Characteristic DM
1-3 0
4-7 +1
8-11 +2
12-15 +3
16-19 +4
20 or more +5</pre>[/QUOTE]A table, allowing the player to note bonouses on his/her char sheet, is easier to use IMHO than in-game calculations.

Paul Elliot's was a variant of MT anyway..

so that att/4 is a move back towards MTism...

Paul Elliot's was a variant of MT anyway..

so that att/4 is a move back towards MTism...

The problem with att/4 is that it gives a bonus for less than average (4-7) attributes. That is counterintuitive (though simple). That's why i am leaning (att+1)/2 - 4. It makes the "average" 8 (most people will be 7, yes, but it's not the middle of the range) have a bonus of 0, with +-3 at the ends (and +4 for the absolute top).

2-4601, I will (sometime soon) add your bit to the spreadsheet I am doing for WJPs system. Then we can compare everybody's stuff.

The problem with att/4 is that it gives a bonus for less than average (4-7) attributes. That is counterintuitive (though simple). That's why i am leaning (att+1)/2 - 4. It makes the "average" 8 (most people will be 7, yes, but it's not the middle of the range) have a bonus of 0, with +-3 at the ends (and +4 for the absolute top).

2-4601, I will (sometime soon) add your bit to the spreadsheet I am doing for WJPs system. Then we can compare everybody's stuff.

Back