• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

New Here

scott

SOC-10
Hello, all--

I just registered and thought I should say hello. My name's Scott (!), I'm 43, and I live in Virginia, USA. There's a lot to see in this forum, so I'll probably keep a low profile for a while--I'll just watch and learn.

I was an AD&D player in high school and college (80s). I always wanted to try Traveller (it was probably those great ads in Dragon magazine. :) ), but never knew anyone who had the game or wanted to play.

Just lately I've stared collecting some CT and GURPS Traveller books. I don't have a group to play with, or a lot of spare time, but I'm trying to learn more about the games. And reading the books is fun.

Just now, I'm stuck at home, recovering from sinus surgery, so I'm relaxing with some gaming stuff (and books and tv...) for distractions. This may be heresy, but I'm sort of cooking up some ideas for a simplified campaign combining GURPS Traveller and GURPS Space.

Anyway--far more than enough from me. Looking forward to meeting folks.

Welcome to our noisy little quadrant of the galaxy! :)
Good to see another Virginian in these parts. I was getting pretty lonely among the unruly heathens here. ;)
If you like GURPS go with it if you enjoy it. Personally I know naught about GURPS, but if it works...

Mind the grumpy grognards and their flurry of blaster-bolts whizzing overhead.

I'm a relative newb to Traveller (Classic to be exact), with only about 4 years under my belt.

Greetings:
If you have Classic Traveller, then "Roll 2D6, 8+ to succeed" is about as simple as it gets ;)
... and if you want a little more complexity, then GURPS is a well balanced, relatively error free version.

Either way, enjoy.
Arthur
(been playing since 1982).

Thanks for the welcome, guys--I think I'm going to try to learn both systems, just in case the opportunity comes along.

Hello, all--

I just registered and thought I should say hello. intro stuff

In the sticky thread part of this section is the thread "Who are we?".

This is the member introduction thread... you might want to make a post there... if you want to.

Greetings:
If you have Classic Traveller, then "Roll 2D6, 8+ to succeed" is about as simple as it gets ;)
... and if you want a little more complexity, then GURPS is a well balanced, relatively error free version.

Either way, enjoy.
Arthur
(been playing since 1982).

Hmmm - CT as I know it is mired by the myriad of different target rolls you need to know about, and even everytime you shoot someone you have a wealth of tables to look at - in fact CT is all about looking up things in the books. Now I for one love CT. I love the books, I played it years ago and I cannot force myself to get rid of the original box set of books 1-7. But in terms of play it is a nightmare.

Mongoose Traveller removes all of that - guns are based on simple range guidelines, everything else you need to know to do a task or combat roll is on the character sheet or given to you by the referee, who has simple guidelines for making up the task rolls. Its a brilliant system.

Mongoose books have had problems in the past (and still are having problems) I cannot deny that - problems with playtesting, presentation, errata etc to the point where I now give them months after a new release before I think of buying. But you cannot fault their customer management and the core rule book has to be the best Traveller book I have ever bought - it combines everything into one book. You simply don't need anything else (well maybe the Spinward Marches) in order to play it.

I never thought I would like something more than CT but I have to say Mongoose Traveller is a superb system. Now if only they would produce some good adventures along the lines of the CT ones. They say they have plans to do that but I don't see any on the horizon.

If you are getting into Traveller I would definitely recommend you look at the Mongoose stuff. I spent loads on CT books and when I played it again it seems so stale next to Mongoose Traveller that I dropped CT and have no plans to play it ever again (other than perhaps take out the books and look over them for sentimental reasons).

Hello, all--

I just registered and thought I should say hello. My name's Scott (!), I'm 43, and I live in Virginia, USA. There's a lot to see in this forum, so I'll probably keep a low profile for a while--I'll just watch and learn.

I was an AD&D player in high school and college (80s). I always wanted to try Traveller (it was probably those great ads in Dragon magazine. :) ), but never knew anyone who had the game or wanted to play.

Just lately I've stared collecting some CT and GURPS Traveller books. I don't have a group to play with, or a lot of spare time, but I'm trying to learn more about the games. And reading the books is fun.

Just now, I'm stuck at home, recovering from sinus surgery, so I'm relaxing with some gaming stuff (and books and tv...) for distractions. This may be heresy, but I'm sort of cooking up some ideas for a simplified campaign combining GURPS Traveller and GURPS Space.

Anyway--far more than enough from me. Looking forward to meeting folks.

Welcome, my name is Robert and I'm 43, seems you are in statistical pack of Traveller players: 40 somethings remembering the 80's. :D

Scott,

Welcome.

I am in Blacksburg, VA, and am pretty much CT only.

Hi, there--nice to see some nearby people on here; I'm in Charlottesville. And I saw some of your posts in the "Black Star Blue Water" game thread, which was fun to read.

BlackBat242 said:
In the sticky thread part of this section is the thread "Who are we?".

Thanks--I'll check it out.

dragoner said:
Welcome, my name is Robert and I'm 43, seems you are in statistical pack of Traveller players: 40 somethings remembering the 80's.

:D Thanks! (So is this what the New Wave generation does for nostalgia? :) )

Andrew Boulton said:
As you've seen, the national sport here is debating the merits (or lack thereof) of different editions

I see a lot of confusion in my future--so I should feel right at home. :)

Hi Scott. I sympathise with the sinus stuff after some probs this year. I started playing D&D, AD&D, Tunnels & Trolls and Runequest in '83, En Garde! some time later, but best of all was Traveller in '83/84 and been hooked ever since.

Great renewing my acquaintance with the original rules, and yes - the books are huge fun to read. You can feel your imagination sparkling.

Welcome to the Board !! We Grognards aren't all THAT grumpy! Or bashful ,or dopey for that matter! I've tried Gurps traveller , loved reading the materials and Gurps space is intersting too. But I went back to CT because it's easier, and I'm old.

Hi there--yeah, the Traveller books are definitely fun. In fact, I just ordered a printed copy of the first 8 (?) books from Far Future--paper copies will be much better than PDFs.

And FWIW--healing from the sinus surgery seems to be going fairly well, but apparently it'll take about 2 months to see what the final results are.

Hi, I am in Harrisonburg, VA. (I work in Waynesboro-- not far from Staunton and Charlottesville.)

I have run a CT game for a few sessions, a very Traveller-ish GURPS Prime Directive adventure by forum post (very useful for learning the system), and 4 GURPS Prime Directive sessions at Origins 2011.

If the Virginia Traveller contingent would like to get together for a game... I'd like in. (I'm surprised at how many VA gamers have piped in here.)

Hi, I am in Harrisonburg, VA. (I work in Waynesboro-- not far from Staunton and Charlottesville.)

Hey, that's pretty close!

a very Traveller-ish GURPS Prime Directive adventure

That's funny--I was trying to cook up a very Traveller-ish GURPS Space adventure. Essentially Traveller technology (and attitude) but in an alternate universe. I'm a long way from being ready to GM, though.

If the Virginia Traveller contingent would like to get together for a game... I'd like in.

Time and family permitting, I'd like that too--I'm a beginner at Traveller, but it'd fun to try it out and meet some forum members.

(I'm surprised at how many VA gamers have piped in here.)

Yeah, I didn't expect that, but it's nice to see.

Traveller's really ace. It got under my skin in 1982 and I've been scratching ever since. Welcome to the forum.

Scott, there's tons you can do solo. My group has just broken up so I'm creating my own 'universe' rolling up a subsector, building worlds, building a space navy, creating ships, rolling up key NPCs using the rules, mapping out trade routes, creating encounter tables it just goes on and on.

Its world building. Its fun and I love it.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I have some ideas for maps for my alternate Traveller reality, and I created a GURPS NPC the other day. I'll try CT, too, once my books arrive. Also some mental sketches for a ship design. All I need now is time. :)

Back