• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

New issues of Signal-GK the fanzine now available

Jae

SOC-9
Signal-GK was a primarily UK fanzine which set out to map a complete sector, Dagudashaag, and generate a complete set of Library Data. Each issue concentrated on at least one subsector - later issues covered two subsectors. Together with other articles on Dag and scenarios linked to the sector, it was hoped that S-GK would be the most comprehensive resource for any part of the Imperium. Issues were not meant to be version specific, with Classic, MegaTraveller and The New Era rules set covered at some point. Each author had their favourite version and it was hoped that the information would be easy enough to adapt to the readers' own preferences. That is why you will find a mix.
There were a number of contributors, with Jae Campbell, Duncan Law-Green, Stuart Machin, Nick Walker, Adie Stewart, David Burden and Leighton generating the largest share. The scans keep the original articles as they were published.
Copies can be downloaded from either:

http://scottmartin.ca/Space_RPG/Other_peoples_stuff/Signal_GK/Signal_GK_Info.html
or
http://www.dot-communications.org.uk/modx/index.php?id=234

and issues 1, 2, 3, 4, 12 and 13 are currently available with new ones being added.

Good Stuff!

Keep them commig.

Is there any chance Richard could do a slightly (only slightly) higher resolution scan of Issue 10?

Regards,

Ewan

How High would you like?

I did those scan's at 300 dpi.

I tried 400 and 600 dpi on the small print stuff, but the resolution improvement was not worth the increased file size.

Doesn't look like 300dpi.

Anyway, try it at 400dpi and see what the file size is like. You could probably afford to double it to 8MB.

Regards,

Ewan

I can try. Unfortuanately I'm limited to 10 meg file size for an email attachment.
Would you like new scan's of issues 10, 12 for posting, or just for personal use?
I'd need an email address to send them to you, if Jae doesn't mind.

Next question:

How many people have actually downloaded the new issues (10-13), I see 172 people have viewed this post.

Would you like to see more issues or are Ewan and I wasting our time scanning and posting?

What do you think of Signal GK the fanzine?

Next question:

How many people have actually downloaded the new issues (10-13), I see 172 people have viewed this post.

Would you like to see more issues or are Ewan and I wasting our time scanning and posting?

I have downloaded them all, would like to see the rest, and think Signal GK is great, I sadly missed these when they first came out. Keep up the good work and thanks.

I can try. Unfortuanately I'm limited to 10 meg file size for an email attachment.
Would you like new scan's of issues 10, 12 for posting, or just for personal use?
I'd need an email address to send them to you, if Jae doesn't mind.

Personal, but don't let that stop you shareing them with Jae!

To get over your email size limit try something like 4shared:

http://www.4shared.com

which has a file sizer limit of 200 MB. And then send the shared URL.

Best Regards,

Ewan

Last edited:
I'll just echo Grey Lensman - have downloaded them all, like them, and would love to see them all.

I have to say that in terms of layout, art, content, and quality Signal GK is top notch.

Next question:

I downloaded them and liked what I saw.

Next question:

"MOAR PLZ!"

(I've been downloading them all as I learn they're available.)

Leighton, I know that you cited the problems with infringement upon the copyright of Shadowrun for AZtech but surely one could change enough of it to make it work or at the very least ask WizKids for permission for using a similar concept.

Too much of this background needs to be put into print and I hope that Mongoose are watching. BTW, has anyone bothered to post the Signal GK updates over on the Mongoose boards...as the younglings need to see what fun Traveller was like in the heyday.

Update

Leighton is busy putting together a fully pdf'd version of issue 5 which will hopefully see the light of day in a few weeks and there is discussion about continuing with a fully pdf'd version of six.

I will release the missing issues over the next few months and there is a discussion ongoing to see if we can track down some of the old DDT gang (as well as some new victims) to complete the updated Sector library data and hopefully a sector species book and even (SHOCK, HORROR) the possibility of the occasional new issue if there is enough material to justify an annual.

Despite the quiet, there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

Yes! (I'm a sucker for old fanzines, though...)

It's much better quality and the density of each issue is much higher than I expected!

Me too, Big sucker for old fanzines. I'm still trying to find some if anyone can help locate certain ones.
Getting Third Imperium from Canada or Signal GK from the UK, or stuff from Australia was a real pain back in the day. I'm still trying to get as many as I can, that's why I gladly offered to help bring SGK to the web.

Finding AAB, Tiffany Star, TTT, and Third Imperium online has been a great thing. I eagerly await Stellar Reaches and Frontier Report, as well as Freelance Traveller. Still I want more....

Leighton, I know that you cited the problems with infringement upon the copyright of Shadowrun for AZtech but surely one could change enough of it to make it work or at the very least ask WizKids for permission for using a similar concept.

Too much of this background needs to be put into print and I hope that Mongoose are watching. BTW, has anyone bothered to post the Signal GK updates over on the Mongoose boards...as the younglings need to see what fun Traveller was like in the heyday.

Kafka,

We've been cross posting etc. but please feel free to add to getting the signal out there...

We've been down the road of trying to get this material officially published and I think we'll now just settle for freely distributing though having it receive a degree of official status would be nice, especially as the number of times we had to change info to try and match... Urgh!

Theo,

we used to have an agreement with Freelance Traveller to distribute in the UK (and they distributedthe signal in the US - bad deal for them given the size of the signal) so I have several of the earlier issues but not sure about breaching copyright.

Next time I'm down in the dungeon i'll check and see if I still have any spare copies and I'll post them on to you...

Re Aztech The only similarity is that name as far as I'm aware but as long as we're not charging for our stuff I doubt anyone would care, really...

For the moment, Free distribution seems to be the way to go.

Jae

Last edited:
Ummm... I don't recall any sort of agreement for cross distribution with SGK in any size, shape or color... Not that I'm averse to such! (I'm Freelance Traveller, and to the best of my knowledge, I always have been, and never was there anyone else who was.)

(I actually think that SGK had ceased publication before I got heavily involved in the Traveller community. Seeing it return is, IMO, not at all a bad thing. Thank you!)

Back