• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

New Space Combat System (I hope)

I tried the old vector based Mayday combat system on a gym floor years ago. Used 1" per G thrust with 30 degree turn per agility rating. Used different ship sizes and numbers. Had a bit of an audience watching missiles flying around and ships getting destroyed. ;) The demo helped to get several new players into the game. :D

----------------------------
In the end, Murphy will rule

I used to use tabloid or butcher paper and colored pencils for space combat. Did it all in vectored math using 1mm per G thrust. Each track had it's own color with simple symbols for ships and missiles, etc.

We thought it was close to what a tac-screen would look like on board the ship and liked it alot.

I used ships made from 1/4 inch thick foam board. Scale down the Sup 7 plans about half, Larger ships a bit more, used old Mayday counters for missiles. Cut out and color using felt tip or color pencil, bout works great. Put a dot in the center of the ship for actual location then go to war. Looked great, even from a distance. Cheap to, hard to beat that on a budget. When you can make a full fleet for the cost of a couple of lead minatures, how can you lose?

-----------------------------
In the end, Murphy will rule

I've never been overly happy with the starship combat systems. I dunno, probably realistic, but I like a little more turn-n-fire.

One fun approach is if you have a large table with a large piece of glass covering it, is to draw up space around the planet on butcher paper, slip that between the table and the glass, and then use both grease pencils and minis/counters. You can, with a little effort, then move the butcher paper around -UNDER- the glass as they start to move away from the planet/asteroid/sun, etc.

Has anyone here tried the GURPS space combat rules?

They seemed vector based. (you placed a marker on the board for where you ship would end up at the end of the turn. ) But also (to me anyway) more intuitive.

However, I've only READ the rules. Has anyone played them?

Gosh
I post something, then I don't think anyone's listening, so I stop posting, I come back a month later not only has someone hijacked the thread, but they've written A WHOLE PAGE it.

Whoa,
Hi-jacked is such a negetive word..........
I was under the impression that people contributed their thoughts on the subject of a space combat system BETTER than the one in T4.

hijacking isnt negative. cos once uve hijacked, other people will come along and rehijack it! and then u can rerehijack! and so on. and its not exactly *hard* to find a space combat system better than the T4 one.

Back