• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

No more UWP

Originally posted by robject the Confused:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kafka47:
I personally would not mind seeing the UWP standardized.
[...]
Not sure what standardization means really, but most of the systems need to be re-done with Malenfant's stellar gen system. 'Twould also be nice to comb over the UWPs, but that's Big Juju.

</font>[/QUOTE]Well, I know that MT underwent several interpetations on the placement of the numbers for Gas Giants & Asteroid Belts & Alien Resident populations...how does this fair with the other versions of Traveller and which generally accepted as the final word...if that could ever be employed with a sentence that has Traveller in it.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding proto-stars, I guess it would apply only to "young" stars whereas off main sequence could be T-Tauri or Flare Stars.

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by robject the Confused:
Economics is usually for solo players.
I wouldn't describe what I do as, "Solo-play."

I'd call it, "World-building without an end-purpose in mind."
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, in that case, maybe it's more like research. Or practice.

Originally posted by kafka47:

Well, I know that MT underwent several interpetations on the placement of the numbers for Gas Giants & Asteroid Belts & Alien Resident populations...how does this fair with the other versions of Traveller and which generally accepted as the final word...if that could ever be employed with a sentence that has Traveller in it.

Oh! I didn't know that. Then that's Bad Juju. Well, perhaps it gives someone more justification to re-define non-critical UWPs, too...

OK, who out there would be interested in revising the UWPs of the Imperium?

Originally posted by robject the Confused:
Please say more about what you mean here:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
Playable rules for using the map/UWP combination in Far-Trader/Imperium/Pocket Empires type games is the Holy Grail of space gaming in my book.
</font>[/QUOTE]robject,

I doubt there's any demand for this, but it's what I'd like to see....

There are three basic levels of gaming... strategic, tactical, and individual (or rpg.)

There are two basic types of wargames: Gigantic and Mini-Game. Mini-Games fit in a ziplock bag. Gigantic games take days to play and years to learn. IMO, the perfect game (in terms of complexity/playability) is Ogre. It's been thoroughly debugged and the two expansions (G.E.V. and Shockwave) are both logical and optional.

What I'd like to see for the Ultimate Space game is a set of fast-playing easy-to-learn minigames (with optional expansions) at all levels of play.

There's the Space Wars game (Ogre in space) played on an enlarged sector or subsector map. The production values and combat modifiers would be derived from the UWP's in some sort of consistent way.

Then there's the Corporate Wars game. I want to play as the CEO of Oberlinde Lindes and compete against other companies somehow. Again, key values are derived from the UWP.

Then there's the System Wars game. The playing board is big enough to show planets and moons in their orbits. Fleets jockey for position. This would be good for double blind play. Fleets resolve combat according to a simple system or the battle can be played out in detail in the...

The fleet combat game. As simple and fast playing as possible but still retaining as many tactical options as can be crammed into it.

There's also the Lone Trader game. Again, as simple and fast playing as possible but still retaining as many tactical options as can be crammed into it.

There's Planet wars covering the strategic level of surface warfare along with an Ogre-like game to (optionally) cover each engagement.

Finally... there should be a set of campaign rules that allow all of these mini-games to interlock. That way one club consisting of an Admiral, a CEO, a few Generals & captains & free traders could team up and play against the other side. (Do you follow me?)

That's the holy grail: Interlocking mini-games with distinct layers of optional expansions.

Just my wishlist. And yes I know, there's probably no market for it, yadda yadda yadda.

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
nbsp;I absolutely despise the GT World Info block (like that used in BTC). It's hideous. Looking at it makes my eyes hurt as I try to scan through the irregular presentation (I'm not joking or exagerating).
Well, SJG seems to agree, since they changed the format drastically in Rim of Fire (to a system in which you have a table, with labelled columns).

Which is basically a modestly expanded UWP, with additional columns for data they decided they wanted in the table which isn't in a classic UWP.

As a side point, why is having UWPs for an entire sector even all that useful? You're not going to be visiting any significant fractions of the worlds.

Aside from potential strategic information (for example, if you're going to fight a war across several sectors), it's not all that useful.

I wonder if Marc can be persuaded to retcon T5 to the "small Imperium variant"?
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Jeffr0:
That's the holy grail: Interlocking mini-games with distinct layers of optional expansions.

Just my wishlist. And yes I know, there's probably no market for it, yadda yadda yadda.
There's at least a market of two, I'd buy into it.

Originally posted by Jeffr0:

There are three basic levels of gaming... strategic, tactical, and individual (or rpg.)

[...]

What I'd like to see for the Ultimate Space game is a set of fast-playing easy-to-learn minigames (with optional expansions) at all levels of play.

There's the Space Wars game (Ogre in space) played on an enlarged sector or subsector map. The production values and combat modifiers would be derived from the UWP's in some sort of consistent way.
Totally strategic. Similar to Fifth Frontier War or Imperium, perhaps, with careful attention to consistency?

Then there's the Corporate Wars game. I want to play as the CEO of Oberlindes Lines and compete against other companies somehow. Again, key values are derived from the UWP.
Cutthroats and Cartels in Space. Interstellar MULE. Railroad Tycoon in Space. Or?

Then there's the System Wars game. The playing board is big enough to show planets and moons in their orbits. Fleets jockey for position. This would be good for double blind play. Fleets resolve combat according to a simple system or the battle can be played out in detail...
A high-level fleet combat system, more detailed than Fifth Frontier War, but more abstract than High Guard's combat system? Counters for individual capital ships, and conglomerate counters for things like fighter clouds, perhaps?

Probably no vector movement, but rather a localized, strategic game.

The fleet combat game. As simple and fast playing as possible but still retaining as many tactical options as can be crammed into it.
Probably High Guard-level of play, then. The movement tactics ( = very high-level ) are the main thing that makes the game playable.

There's also the Lone Trader game. Again, as simple and fast playing as possible but still retaining as many tactical options as can be crammed into it.
This type of game could re-use the sector or subsector map from the Space Wars game, or simply a normal map with a UWP list, pencil, paper, and dice. Traveller has had this type of thing from the beginning.

There's Planet wars covering the strategic level of surface warfare along with an Ogre-like game to (optionally) cover each engagement.
Risk and Ogre, respectively.

Book 4 has a good high-level ground unit combat system, but doesn't take orbital or air units into account. It is very nicely high, level, though. Something like it could work for surface war.

Strategic planet-taking could possibly be like a miniature version of Risk, using Traveller tasks.

Finally... there should be a set of campaign rules that allow all of these mini-games to interlock. That way one club consisting of an Admiral, a CEO, a few Generals & captains & free traders could team up and play against the other side. (Do you follow me?)
Actually, if just a few design elements are used, such as separating weapon penetration from damage, then creating conglomerate units of any type to any scale becomes possible -- the combat model becomes generic, more or less. Hence, you get combat at any level of abstraction for free, and the wargame scenarios you envision (sectorwide, systemwide, orbital, planetary, regional, local, single-ship, person-to-person) are simpler to define, learn, and run.

Ask aramis about it.

The part I don't know about is how to apply damage back to the individual ships; for example, if a squadron takes 50% damage, how is that distributed? This may require defining the total penetration of the damage inflicted; for instance, 20% damage with high penetration may kill 20% of the total unit tonnage, while 20% damage with low but effective penetration may simply cripple 20%, and a moderate pen would kill 10% and cripple the other 10%.

Or perhaps all attacks inflict kill damage, and defenses get a "defensive reaction" which inflict crippling damage. That sounds interesting...

Maybe there's a better way to do this. Anyway, applying damage is only needed after combat is done.

That's essentially what MT does.

Keep track of the unit damage until the units splits up or the combat is over, then divvy it out evenly, with a remainder applied to one element.

Not sure what standardization means really, but most of the systems need to be re-done with Malenfant's stellar gen system. 'Twould also be nice to comb over the UWPs, but that's Big Juju.
Where can Malefant's stellar gen system be found? Pardon the ignorance, my excuse is newness to this site.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jeffr0:

There's at least a market of two, I'd buy into it. </font>[/QUOTE]There's a market of three, thank you. To whom shall I make out this check? :D

I can give you a paypal address to send...

just kidding ;)

Welcome aboard Eric

Check out what rob has put together - it's free.

Back