• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Noble question

Selandia

SOC-13
I know a fascinating Fief thread was going on not so long ago but got bugged in a controversy. Rather than bumping it I'll just ask my specific questions.

Sir Selandia Ballin, Soc B on the start-up roll, could start Baron, I presume ?

Actually, Fluff wise, he graduate from Law School and performed military service before entering the career of Noble 4 years before his Father (the Baron ) dies, so for his first 4 years in the Noble career he is a landless Baronet. When he is elevated to the Baronny there is no new land grant rolled for he gets the family Fief ?

Now he make his elevation to Marquis in the next term. Land Holding granted. For the Marquis, I flufed a new (small) holding on Exmin (Marquis of Anticosti) for plot purpose How do I work the offworld holding? My discretion or is there some kind of rule that prevent me to claim downtown New-York?

Could he be elevated straight from Marquis to Count to match the Card or do I need to fluff a Viscount plot?

Thanks

Selandia

Soc B is upper upper class and the equivalent Noble Title is Knight.

A Knight gets a Land Grant of one Hex on his homeworld and another hex on a world in the system.

The next rank is Soc c Baronet that gets another Land Grant which adds on to the original. If he inherits his father's title and Barony thats probably separate to any promotion to Baron (Soc C) he achieves as part of his term in the Noble Career. Having several titles is common enough, you might be Baron of X and Y.

If you're in the Noble Career I don't think you can skip a rank, but if you can increase your Soc to E you could fluff a special award from the Emperor of a Countacy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "off-world", if you mean the non-mainworld, those grants are paired with the mainworld hexes in the land grant and you get a hex on a non-mainworld in the same system.

thanks,

I made a mistake in the original post, 12 is C. Therefore, he is Baron/Baronet at the start

Still my mistake allow you to address the issue of the Knight card I got in the BBB. If He became a Knight by the card your answer is ok I believe.

Now because he is C before the card, I handled the Exmin world indicated on the card as homeworld as the "family" fief world where the Baron estate was. The Knight status was thus a fallout of his position in the family rather than a result of adventuring (after all he got his 12 on the roll before he got the Knight card). It was a landless honor title...but you are right he may have received his Knight title as a landed title earned on his own before he makes hereditary Baron.

For the Marquis, the question refered to: p. 93

"Nobles of the Imperium receive, as part of their grant of title and rank,
Noble Lands: Land Grants expressed as hexes on world geodesic maps.
The first hex in any grant is on the Noble’s homeworld. All subsequent hexes
are randomly allocated."

So my first hex in my Marquis grant will be on Exmin, my homeworld, with 7 hexes on main world(s) that are not my homeworld (off-world might have been bad form choice) There will also be 8 hex that are a match for the hex on main world(s) (one of which is on Exmin). To which extend I can pick and choose the 7 other ones to fit my whim?

I do not mind fluffing him a Viscount, and adding a Knight holding, after all he is a patron and may be obscenely rich without upsetting the play balance, just wondering a game mechanic point.

have fun

Selandia

Dangnabbit!

/snips/
Could he be elevated straight from Marquis to Count to match the Card or do I need to fluff a Viscount plot?

Thanks

Selandia
Sir, we do not, repeat not call that a "fluff Viscount plot", it is called a Term of Rewarding Intrigue.

Bah, new blood. :rolleyes:

I'm sure some Viscounts get "fluffed" all the time, in fact they might retain a staff of fluffers.

:rofl:

And no this has nothing to do with the Aslan and Vargr hair care thread ;)

thanks,

For the Marquis, the question refered to: p. 93

"Nobles of the Imperium receive, as part of their grant of title and rank,
Noble Lands: Land Grants expressed as hexes on world geodesic maps.
The first hex in any grant is on the Noble’s homeworld. All subsequent hexes
are randomly allocated."

So my first hex in my Marquis grant will be on Exmin, my homeworld, with 7 hexes on main world(s) that are not my homeworld (off-world might have been bad form choice) There will also be 8 hex that are a match for the hex on main world(s) (one of which is on Exmin). To which extend I can pick and choose the 7 other ones to fit my whim?

I think if your character already has a Noble Title before he becomes a Marquis (this would include his Knighthood) he doesn't have to take a hex of the Marquis's Land Grant on his homeworld. The rules say a marquis's hexes have to be in "one sector".

I think if your character already has a Noble Title before he becomes a Marquis (this would include his Knighthood) he doesn't have to take a hex of the Marquis's Land Grant on his homeworld. The rules say a marquis's hexes have to be in "one sector".

The text of p.93 is explicit about the first been on homeworld, and I have no problem with that since, as you pointed out about the off-mainworld hexes, things are stated (and the Count has alimonies to pay on his homeworld anyway). The text about the 7 others been part of a subsectorsector (p.93)is indeed one of the parameter. The other is the type of world: pre-Ind for Marquis. I guess the rest is indeed "Choix du chef" as the say at the local BBQ shack.

Thanks, have fun

Selandia

Back