• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Nova Roma: consequences of sundiving and stutterwarp

I know not of this stutterwarp of which you speak, having no 2300 AD material, but if it is violating fundamental laws, someone should arrest it. :devil:

To make long explanation short, the stutterwarp in 2300AD is similar to the hackdrive, but allowing it to go to FTL pseudovelocities (but being microjumps, there's no speed/momentum change while using it).

Main differences are:
  1. They are affected by gravity, losing efficiency at 0.0001G and at 0.1G, point where they are less efficient than conventional reaction drives.
  2. No bouble needed
  3. Ships don't use to have auxiliary reaction drives, as Adam described, unless they are atmosphere capable

See that point 1 would forbid their use in those wormholes, as they are too close to the stars (and so too deep in their gravity wells). The lack of bouble would also represent a problem this way...

While not told about in 2300AD (neither classic nor MgT), my guess is that the lack of auxiliary conventional (reaction) drives should make difficult to dock ships, in most cases tugs being needed.

I believe that the MgT core rules also talk about it in the section for alternate ship designs.

the MGT core does not contain the 2300 Stutterwarp, though their are MgT 2300 books that do. the alternate drives in the core book are

Warp ( speed is drive number of parsecs/week, so a warp 1 ship goes 1 parsec a week. MgT warp 6 is something like 1000c, or about Warp 8 by Star Trek TNG reckoning.)

Teleport (basically, jump without the week in J space. or the J fuel costs. their is a unspecified "strain" on repeated jumping, which I take to mean "GM's decision"

Hyperspace. (ship enters hyperspace, then uses M drive to move in H space to destination. speed is M drive rating in parsecs/ day. a M6 drive gives a real space speed of about 7000c, about twice as fast as any trek ship can manage barring technobabble. the rating of the H drive determines the max size of ship that can pass though. it tops out at 5Kdt, so H drive traveller may be a small ship universe).

they also have rules for using Fission reactors for starships.

Last edited:
Back