• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

P/Survey question on survey duration

Flynn

SOC-14 1K
Gentlemen,

I am without my book here at work today, and was wondering if someone could post the length/duration of the survey type(s) listed under the P/Survey skill? I vaguely remember reading the suggesting durations from the World Builder's Handbook (MT) and GT:First In, but don't remember the details.
I'm hoping they're listed in the T20 book. Even if you know the durations according to other systems, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks in advance,
Flynn

Okay, I went home last night and looked up the answer. According to the World Builder's Handbook (MT): Class I Surveys take 2d6 hours, Class II Surveys take 2d6 days, Class III Surveys take 2d6 weeks, Class IV Surveys take 2d6 months, and Class V Surveys take 2d6 years. Class I gives you the presence of a star system and of gas giants, as well as spectral class. Class II gives you the orbits of planetary bodies, including satellites, and planetoid belts, as well as the size of each. Class III gives you a general UWP for the mainworld, and size, atmosphere and hydrographics codes for the other worlds of the star system. Class IV gives you a lot of extensive data on the mainworld. Class V gives you a lot of extensive data on all worlds in the system, and is generally done before colonization.

The THB covers specific tasks used to accomplish these surveys, and I have yet to make sure that the time elements correspond. But it's enough to make some general assessments for exploration campaign purposes.

Thought someone else might appreciate the data, too,
Flynn

Thanks for the detail... I tried to dig out my World Builder's Hdbk, but of course nothing's ever where you leave it.

Do these correspond to the T20 tasks?

thom

In reviewing the tasks in T20, they do not. However, they are kinda close, depending on the size of the star system that is being surveyed, at least.
Effectively, it seems that the Class II and Class III are blurred, and initial surveys for UWP data run a bit longer, depending on the size and population digits of the world in question. (And there's no mention of what it takes if either are zero, but I'd imagine the first takes no additional time and the second takes 1d4 or 1d6 hours to appropriately assess.)

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Back