• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Peace of Ftahalr and Borders

Garnfellow

SOC-13
Peer of the Realm
So the Peace of Ftahalr (380) established a 30-parsec border between the Imperium and the Aslan Hierate. This border can be seen clearly in the Reaver's Deep sector.

At the time of the Peace, Terra did not belong to the Imperium (it only joins in 588), and I assume it was not a signatory. A 30 parsec trailing border from Aslan holdings in the Dark Nebula and Ustral Quadrant sectors would have taken up large chunks of the Magyar and Canopus sectors: right in the heart of the Solomani Sphere.

So was there never a neutral zone in Magyar and Canopus? At the time of the Peace, how far spinward did Terra control? Was Terra involved in the Border Wars?

(The Solomani Autonomous Region, established in 704, defines a 50 parsec region originating with Terra, which would radiate through much of the Magyar Sector and be well within any 30 parsec border of the Hierate.)

When Terra joined the Imperium, it presumably took on all the obligations of the Peace. But would the Solomani Confederation (formed 871) feel any obligations for this treaty?

(We know that they have been encroaching on Aslan territory since the end of the Solomani Rim War in 1002.)

Where I'm going with all these questions: I'm trying to get a handle on who controlled what in the Magyar Sector between the end of the Long Night and the 1100.

Mostly opinion.

So the Peace of Ftahalr (380) established a 30-parsec border between the Imperium and the Aslan Hierate. This border can be seen clearly in the Reaver's Deep sector.

At the time of the Peace, Terra did not belong to the Imperium (it only joins in 588), and I assume it was not a signatory.
The Old Earth Union was an Imperial client state at the time. The Aslans challenged the Imperium to a war when they found that out. The Imperium was trying to mediate between the parties at the time. So the Union might or might not have been a signatory. It's a moot (albeit interesting) point, thuogh, since the government of the Autonomous Solomani Sphere wouldn't have felt bound to honor a 500 year old treaty signed by a predecessor government.

A 30 parsec trailing border from Aslan holdings in the Dark Nebula and Ustral Quadrant sectors would have taken up large chunks of the Magyar and Canopus sectors: right in the heart of the Solomani Sphere.
IMO the buffer zone would absolutely have continued all along the Hierate/Human border of the day.

So was there never a neutral zone in Magyar and Canopus? At the time of the Peace, how far spinward did Terra control? Was Terra involved in the Border Wars?
Yes. In itself the OEU only encompassed a score of systems, but it would have had trade interests in many or all of the Magyar pocket empires and high-population worlds. Yes; presumably as a result of those same trade interests.

(The Solomani Autonomous Region, established in 704, defines a 50 parsec region originating with Terra, which would radiate through much of the Magyar Sector and be well within any 30 parsec border of the Hierate.)
Margaret I either ignored the implications or specifically exempted the worlds in the border zone, upon which the Autonomous Region promptly ignored that bit.

When Terra joined the Imperium, it presumably took on all the obligations of the Peace. But would the Solomani Confederation (formed 871) feel any obligations for this treaty?

(We know that they have been encroaching on Aslan territory since the end of the Solomani Rim War in 1002.)
A hundred years would be more than enough for the Confederation to gobble up 30 parsecs' worth of systems, so there's no reason why the Autonomous Region shouldn't have obeyed an injunction to leave the buffer zone alone, at least at first. My suggestion would be that the Region kept thier hands off at first, then slowly began to encroach in a small way, keeping under the radar as it were, then became bolder as relations with the Imperium deteriorated anyway. And after the war, the Confederation took the rest, stopping only when they ran into Hierate worlds (Or being stopped; the Aslans can't cooperate for toffee when it comes to expansion, but they band together a treat when they're defending against outsiders)..

Hans

Ok... this all sounds interesting, and is for an area and a time (I think, if I deciphered you-all's comments correctly) I am interested.

So where is this info from? (source documents)

Ok... this all sounds interesting, and is for an area and a time (I think, if I deciphered you-all's comments correctly) I am interested.

So where is this info from? (source documents)
The sources I have access to are from the Classic Traveller Aslan and Solomani alien modules.

I believe DGP did some work on this area/era in Travellers Digest as well as their Solomani and Aslan sourcebook. But the odds of me ever getting my hands on any of that material are pretty darned long.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some useful references in the GURPS Traveller materials.

The sources I have access to are from the Classic Traveller Aslan and Solomani alien modules.

I believe DGP did some work on this area/era in Travellers Digest as well as their Solomani and Aslan sourcebook.
Mostly S&A. The TD articles didn't have a whole lot of history, mostly contempory stuff.

Hand

The Aslan Border Wars entry in Library Data (A-M) pg 14 states that the Solomani have violated portions of the buffer zone.

Back