• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Proto-High Guard

This is getting too much about my system not the OP's, which is certainly my fault and didn't expect the whole critique session since most of the time people blow off my posts on the matter.

So I'll take the travelling circus and move it out of here before we lose the OP altogether, but with this thought- that you want to simplify those rolls and maximize the choices and 'paths to victory'. A full maneuver system is probably not your desired end result, but more nuanced range bands or otherwise and less buckets o dice would probably fit most people's desires just fine.

Whip says gotta have a whole system.

I said no such thing. I said you currently have nothing, not even a partial system and you need to concentrate on getting at least one partial system part play-test ready. I wrote:

Concentrate on one system, something like one type of movement or combat involving one type of weapon, get that to a "beta" level, and post it here for comments.

From a pedantic standpoint I should have written sub-system, but the comment still stands.

Whip I have maneuver completely sussed out on it's own...

Completely sussed out except for...

... but the part that's not done yet is the interactions with damage and armor and maybe I want to go back and mess with it to get the full ranged effect to ensure real choice between full accel, agility and weapons, with again no one perfect solution set.

... which means you don't have a maneuver system. You have a grab bag of ideas you want a maneuver system to produce, but you don't have an actual maneuver system which will produce those results.

Which means you have nothing.

I'm not worried about the scale switch...

You should be. It may seem completely intuitive to you. What it seems like to someone else is what actually matters. Other people have to read you rules and get them to work. Other people aren't going to be able to read your mid to get the rules to work.

Let me share two maxims Rickover taught those is my profession:

Face facts brutally

If you cannot write something down, you do not understand it.

You can't or won't face the facts that you have more ideas than actual rules, that you have a wish list instead of actual sequence of play. The fact that you cannot yet write down your maneuver "system" means that you don't yet understand that system and the fact that you don't understand that system means the system doesn't actually exist.

While you know what you want the system to do, you don't know how a system could do it.

Again, you have nothing.

This is more like a Harpoon time/space zoom...

You're going to seamlessly accomplish the time/space "zoom" a computer program does with "pencil & paper" or "map & chit" methods? Okay.

I think I have already proven with things like the QND Medical system...

I'm the guy who asked you to put together a complete document and post it in the File Library, remember? That QND medical system is not a war game, however.

I'll continue to post for them and just have to live with your disappointment and critique.

Quit playing the martyr. :rolleyes:

I haven't told you to stop posting. I told you to stop teasing us with unsupported claims. I told you that, if you have something, show it to us. The fact that you can't or won't show us anything speaks more loudly than you various claims.

Remember. all this began when you claimed weapon ranges vary in your rules. Sadly, not enough of your rules actually exist as rules instead of as wishes to support that claim. You want weapon ranges to vary, but you haven't shown us how weapon ranges vary.

Good luck. There's a lot of work ahead, but your QND medical system shows you should be able to handle it.

You have further win the internet moments Whip, indulge yourself in my thread, Robject is too nice a guy for either one of us.

Back