• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Quirks for old ships

Of course, being a MacroSoft piece of software, over time it suffers from the phenomena known as 'bit rot'. Initially, it starts out pleasant, if a bit saucy. Then it moves into occasionally petulant and moody, some parts of the month. Then on to actively hostile. And finally into coldly dismissive, eventually ignoring all control inputs.

<No, not bitter... Me?! Never!> ;)

Primary
MacroSoft
Susceptibility
file_23.gif

Yet another one...
infested by undoctored Cymbeline chips. Worse than virus, as they can be PC's....

How about a Frankenstein ship made from the fusion of a Fat trader with a subsidised liner?

Total computer compartmentalization?

You can certainly see all sorts of issues with ships that are salvaged (refit) from other ships, like the conversion of old military ships into civilian ones or vice versa in TNE. The Admiral Bertil (Assignment Vigilante) might well be a good candidate as a refurbed liner... it may well have some quirks after having been rebuilt into a military ship.

Playing with galley equipment is always a worry in my games. Players know to panic whenever the galleys microwave is on the fritz.

Then how about everytime a particular person on the bridge touches a console all the displays roll and flicker, or no matter how well the maintenance goes or what parts are replaced a particular light always flickers.

We once got stuck with a ship whose computer randomly switched into combat simulation mode. We were pretty worried until we worked out that the attacking ships didn't actually exist.

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
We once got stuck with a ship whose computer randomly switched into combat simulation mode. We were pretty worried until we worked out that the attacking ships didn't actually exist.

Back