• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Randomized construction results

Originally posted by Chucky the Hammer:
I disagree with the idea that mass production methods and precision automation create a next to nil chance of variation.
Great! In YTU, include a chance for random or improvised variances for all manufacturers. I agree that for interest's sake, their should be at least a small chance of such a result.

Maybe the robots' central AI had developed a glitch that day. Maybe the last on-site inspection failed to reveal a slight breakdown of an actuator in the autoservo system in Assembly Plant 4a. Maybe an Ancient-induced periodic stellar flare does funny things to the materials, slightly altering their subatomic interactions...

Originally posted by Tinker:

I like that simple mechanic for performance tinkering - but how do you stop the powergamers keeping on and on until they get 150% ?
Besides the fact that they don't know the rule exists, you mean?

Firstly, the time involved - each attempt may take a couple of hours or maybe a couple of months, depending what is being modified and how much difference it makes to the game.

Secondly, the cost/availability - maybe the tweak needs a part that can only be obtained from a world that has just entered a civil war. Something that uprates a M2 Drive to M3 will cost almost as much as an upgrade, and may require the ship to be dry docked for months. Where will they get that sort of money? They'll need to embark on a number of hazardous adventures to finance the operation.

Thirdly, each time a mod is attempted, the ship will have to be trialled to test its performance - more time and cost - and risk. Jury-rigged mods can break down at the most inopportune times, and remember, performance reduction cancels the Annual Maintenance Get Out Of Misjump Free Card. And they won't know performance has been reduced until they try it out...

Fourthly, all mods have to be carried out on-table, haggling for parts, blackmarketeering, theft from naval stores, etc. Parts that significantly enhance performance are going to be proportionally harder to locate or manufacture.

Fifthly, mods can easily be reset to standard performance by standard technicians during Annual Maintenance, even going as far as
"Oh, is that what it did? Sorry mate, I thought it was just a temporary repair so I replaced it with an original part - all the scrap went to the recycler yesterday!"

If all else fails - the GM may be a mild-mannered geek by day, but 'you wouldn't want to see me when I'm angry'. There isn't a powergamer alive who is more powerful than a powerGM.
file_23.gif

Ah, I missed the bit about using parts - that'll work much better. I had this vision of Scotty just tightening things, turning knobs to unusual settings & so on (like tuning a carburettor, changing engine timing etc), which is basically free. Putting in a different size of flux capacitor makes much more sense, and critically burns credits, which is enough to discourage abuse of the option.
And the reset-every-annual-maintenance is a gem. Now I've got to use this on my mates, if only for the wind-up value.

Straybow: That is my idea.

Minor stuff can be done with a well-equiped (Class C or better) starport. Stuff like fine tuning the jump regulator (Reducing jump variation) or adding some extra power for the drives (giving an extra 5-10 percent acceleration) All you need is the skill and the parts. It's like boosting an autocycles performance by replacing the pipes.

More complex stuff requires yard time and possibly opening the hull. Costly stuff but likely far more permanent and powerful.

After all if you can put F15E Strike Eagel engines and electronics in an F4E Phantom II or replace the engines of a Caio-Duilio Class battleship IRL than you should be abel to do similar feats in Traveller.

Ah, I missed the bit about using parts - that'll work much better. I had this vision of Scotty just tightening things, turning knobs to unusual settings & so on (like tuning a carburettor, changing engine timing etc), which is basically free. Putting in a different size of flux capacitor makes much more sense, and critically burns credits, which is enough to discourage abuse of the option.
And the reset-every-annual-maintenance is a gem. Now I've got to use this on my mates, if only for the wind-up value.
Don't forget that tinkering with the engines also needs:

+ A proper accent, even when using Morse Code
+ Regular supplies of brain-juice (aka Scotch)
+ A willingness to rip-appart non-essential systems (food synthesisers, captains shower etc) for spares
+ Occasionally mooning for the blonde archaeologist and trying to beat up a Greek God

in the back rules section of Starshp operator's Manual, there is a task setup for having skills make operations more or less efficient ( such as a great nav roll shaving some time off trip )

how about during ship construction, when not using an already designed off the shelf part, have the designer do a secret task roll to see if the naval architect did a decent job or a hack job...adjust part's mass or volume or output or something from the task roll, and THAT part's design is just stuck like that; even if that part design is used for another ship..

occasionally let an engineer 'try' to make the design better with newer versions.....yeah, like adding research tasks from Ref's handbook

make all the rolls secret too and let mechanics argue about which engine is better, etc too using anecdotes and manufacturer's press releases...great for barbrawls making!
--------------------------------------

I had this vision of Scotty just tightening things, turning knobs to unusual settings & so on (like tuning a carburettor, changing engine timing etc), which is basically free.
That too, a required roll every now and then to keep the mod running smoothly keeps 'em on their toes.
And you know that sinking feeling you get when you overtighten that vital component in the middle of an escape run and it suddenly goes slack...??
file_23.gif

Back