• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Real Stars in Charted Space

And, are the Pleiades identified anywhere in charted space? They should be, somewhere around -3,-1 or -3,-0 sectors from the earth's sector, depending on if you apply the anomalous rotation or not.

Someone in one of the earlier threads, or perhaps this one somewhere, called it a "Fool's Errand" to attempt to place real stars on the 2d traveller map. I'm starting to get a feel for why that is. Here is a slice of volume of our local space, stars as red points, black arrow to the (true) galactic core, blue arrow toward the true deneb. The green lines represent the boundaries of a subsector in the mapping plane. There is just no way to realistically reduce the map to fit in any remote kind of accuracy in 2 dimensions.

It's fun to tinker with, but a lot of the fundamentals of traveller are too contrary to physics and astronomy to try to fit the game into a realistic setting. I'll keep hopefully watching for more attempts to deal with the 2d mapping though.

Last edited:
Canonically, the Deneb of "Deneb Sector" in the 3rd Imperium is not actually the star known to 21st century Terrans as Deneb.

sudnadja, this is really interesting work!

When I zoom out on TravellerMap far enough, I do see the overlay of the galactic core straight up from charted space, but of course close in stars in so far as they are known are rotated. At what point does the rotation anomaly go away? Was it done this way intentionally or was there a mistake somewhere in someone's math?

My guess is that it was an oversight.

(And the large-scale galactic map on the TravellerMap website is a far more recent addition as compared to the original stellar data and "paper" Traveller Map of Charted Space, which go all the way back to about 1980).

And, are the Pleiades identified anywhere in charted space? They should be, somewhere around -3,-1 or -3,-0 sectors from the earth's sector, depending on if you apply the anomalous rotation or not.

They are not located canonically, to my knowledge.

It's more than a year since you posted this, but this is something I've taken a shot at a few times (never with any success).

With D&D and the OSR there are several example of people from back in the day like Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax using a 70s era reference as a template for some map or some other concept.

The problem it rare for somebody to remember what was exactly used. For example Dave Arneson used an old map (drawn in the 16th or 17th century) of holland inverted and flipped for the campaign map of his blackmoor campaign. Nobody knows which one he used .

For this issue, you would have to figure out the exact reference book the GDW folks were using when they came up with the map for the Solomani Rim. Once you have that then likely what they did to place things will make sense.

My guess is that it was an oversight.

(And the large-scale galactic map on the TravellerMap website is a far more recent addition as compared to the original stellar data and "paper" Traveller Map of Charted Space, which go all the way back to about 1980).

Well, it is heavily implied by the terms "Coreward" etc present on the earliest maps. You could imagine a point very early on when sectors were not strictly aligned with the cardinal directions, but I suspect it was simply not considered.

It would be interesting to know what resources (i.e. books) were used by GDW to even guess at star placements back in the dark ages. I've also been curious what the source of the star background for the Imperium poster was.

EDIT: Also interestingly, Spinward is specifically listed as 0.00h Right Ascension, Rimward is specifically listed as 6.00h Right Ascension, Trailing is specifically listed as 12.00h Right Ascension, and Coreward is specifically listed as 18.00h Right Ascension. I wonder if this is where the 45o Galactic-Coordinate axis-discrepancy (i.e. "Traveller"-Coreward versus "True"-Coreward) arose?

The galactic core is at very close to 18h right ascension, and so is Barnard's Star, which on traveller maps is placed more in the trailing direction - as if it were at 15h or so. Alpha Centauri is at 14h itself and placed as if if were 12h.

So that specific information is correct, at least as far as right ascension of the galactic core is concerned, the problem is they didn't really follow that. Also, using right ascension alone with no declination is misleading, right ascension of 0 and 12h is pointing more or less straight up and down out of the plane of the galaxy.

It's regrettable that in March the Earth is in the trailing position relative to the sun rather than spinward, otherwise we could celebrate that season as the Spinward Marches!

. . . Also, using right ascension alone with no declination is misleading, right ascension of 0 and 12h is pointing more or less straight up and down out of the plane of the galaxy.

IIRC, The hand-drawn map had a note in the margin saying that all stars shown were within +/- 10o Declination.

Deneb is at roughly what its correct position should be (relative to the positions of other stars) on the other side of the Consulate. Interestingly, the Pelican Nebula is noted as being in the lower claw of the Great Rift, whereas on the canonical maps it is located in the midst of the Zhodani Consulate (which is a much more correct position, BTW).

Kuzu (Kusyu) on both maps is roughly located in Subsector J of Dark Nebula (its current canonical position) as opposed to its previously debated position of it having been located in Subsector G.

Spica appears to be located in the Hinterworlds Sector in the middle of the Outcast of the Whispering Sky. "Kaitain" (also an alternate name of Alpha Piscium) is located in Subsector P of Dark Nebula. And "Kursa" (Beta Eridani) is located in Subsector P of Magyar Sector (is this the homeworld of the Kursae?).

Enif (Epsilon Pegasi) is marked as being located in Tsadra Sector, and Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti) is marked in a small "island" of the Great Rift at the Spinward extreme of the Aslan Hierate.

It is also interesting to note the world of Troy located on the border of Subsectors D & H in the Trojan Reach (though the world name did not survive on Traveller Map, it still went on to give the Sector its name).

Deneb is at +45 degrees Declination, Spica at -11 degrees, Alpha Piscium at 2.7 degrees, Cursa at -5.08 degrees, Enif at 9.87 degrees and Baten Kaitos at -10.3 degrees. The Pelican Nebula is at 44 degrees.

Of course, +45 degrees can help rather than hurt in terms of aligning it to the galactic plane depending on right ascension. Deneb is almost perfectly on the galactic plane, Spica has the majority of its spatial component out of the galactic plane, Alpha Piscium is also more in the Z axis than either x or y, let's see,

So for Deneb, Spica, Alpha Piscium, Cursa, Enif and Baten Kaitos they are 2,51,-56,-25, -31 and -68 degrees out of the plane of the galaxy, respectively.

It would be interesting to know the methodology for which stars were selected for the original map. If it were me, and I were drawing a map two dimensionally, I'd select bright stars that are in or very close to in the galactic plane relative to the Sun. Deneb is the best choice of those listed, but it seems to have its position distorted in the other two axis instead.

Perhaps Hadar, Deneb, Shaula, Mimosa, and Betelgeuse?

Code:
Acrux	0.77	-4.23	325.777ly	-0.363251
Rigel Kentaurus A	-0.01	4.34	4.38981ly	-0.685362
Rigel Kentaurus B	1.35	5.70	4.40009ly	-0.687905
Hadar	0.61	-4.82	397.448ly	1.25047
Deneb	1.25	-7.13	1547.44ly	1.99759
Shaula	1.62	-5.05	702.105ly	-2.215
Mimosa	1.25	-3.47	286.684ly	3.17911
Alnath	1.65	-1.37	130.887ly	-3.74409
Capella	0.08	-0.479	42.15ly	4.56795
Capella Ab	0.96	0.401	42.15ly	4.56992
Gacrux	1.59	-0.564	87.834ly	5.64982
Sirius	-1.44	1.45	8.59093ly	-8.88701
Altair	0.76	2.20	16.7546ly	-8.9094
Betelgeuse	0.45	-6.02	641.78ly	-8.95761
Adhara	1.5	-3.97	403.963ly	-11.3291

Last edited:
Several stars, mostly in the Solomani Rim, have canonical positions;

There are several places where I could have screwed up, so I would welcome any questions, thoughts, or corrections.

There appears to be a OTU Algol, with the same stellar configuration as the real Algol (A5, B8 and K2 IV stars).

Positioning is dramatically off, the Map Algol is at {-14.7224, -24.5} from Terra, and the real Algol should be more like {-27.5, -6.8}, but radial distance is approximately correct.

What does it take to be considered Canonical? Deneb appears to not be the real world Deneb, even though the stellar configuration is the same - is that the case with Algol as well?

For what it's worth, I put the star in Kursa subsector (H) of Aldebaran.

Oh. You mean Sagitarian sic Subsector? :)

I just mapped it to Aldebaran 3012.

(Having now looked at the map, considerng the 205° longitude, and a distance of 27.4 parsecs, I'd probably go with Aldebaran 3108 or possibly 3207, both in Firdausl Subsector.)

I also placed an unidentified minor race on a nearby world in subsector H, just in case.

FWIW, the "Little Guys" from 2300 would be from 3015.

Kinda out of the way if you're on your way to the Pleiades....

(I'd probably move these guys to Neworld 0110 or 0209. Even more out of the way.)

(Guess I should mention that "Littleendia" revolves around BD+05°1117/HD 42182)

Last edited:

Most of them should be located in Holowon (Tahahorol) Sector at (-1, -6) Imperial.

Just curious, are you folks factoring in 3600+ years of stellar movement? Not everything is moving at the same rates in the same directions....

Just curious, are you folks factoring in 3600+ years of stellar movement? Not everything is moving at the same rates in the same directions....

Uh, no. It's hard enough trying to figure out where they're supposed to be in J2000 ;)

We don't even know where they are now. The light left those stars hundreds or thousands of years ago. We're seeing now where they were then.

Back