• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Reavers Deep (Murph Style)

Murph

SOC-14 1K
In my Traveller Universe, I have a couple of planets not shown, which replace current ones.
Sutekh- replaces Brighton/EA
New Texas- replaces Germain/Caledon New Texas is TL G Sort of based on the New Texas from H. Beam Piper's Lone Star Planet short story.
Xanadu- replaces Yedidah/Hryaroaa Xanadu is TL F

Other than that it is pretty much as Canon. Describe your Universe and if you made changes to worlds from Canon maps/Canon sources.

Two main changes in mine so far:
Boughene/Regina (SM1904) (Wiki) became Brainstorming Boughene (CotI Thread).
Biggest change is that due to a glitch (my mistake) in looking it up (generating it) on TravellerWorlds, I shoved it into a hole. IMTU it's orbiting the gas giant Komesh in Orbit 0 of the red-dwarf (M1 V) primary, so it's inside not only Komesh's 100D limit, but also that of the star. In the OTU, Boughene may be close in, but it's not also in the gas giant's gravity well.

Canon sources understate just how freakin' big Boughene Station is. 600,000 inhabitants plus a Class A shipyard (even if it's just for maintenance, rather than construction) is going to come out somewhere around a half a million displacement tons -- or more.

Also, there's an Adventure with events that happen in the Boughene system. IMTU, they don't and can't happen, mostly because I don't feel like running that Adventure... (Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't fit with what I want to do with MTU.)

The other is Trexalon/District 268 (extended library data from my "Collace Between the Lines" thread). Canon says it's what would be an Earth-like world orbiting a gas giant, except it's outside the habitable zone and most of its atmosphere froze and settled as nitrogen and oxygen ices.

My take on it is that it's still Earth-like and in the habitable zone, but is mostly desert, lacks a magnetosphere, and is within the gas giant's radiation belts. The only reason it's habitable is due to orbital geomagnetic field generators (solar powered with fusion backups, multiply redundant with spares pre-staged). The reason it's relatively low-population is that the first set of field generators failed when the Sindalian Empire collapsed a couple of thousand years ago; a lot of the inhabitants are descendants of refugees from nearby Pavabid's revolution that turned it into the theocracy it is now.

Oh, one more: Collace/District 268 -- it's in the late stages of a terraforming project started by the Darrians about a thousand years ago. They also have what amounts to a Class A Starport on nearby Inchin, but it's only there for final assembly of ships out of components built on Collace. It does not affect that world's starport class, despite every effort by its soi-disant "Baron" to claim otherwise...

Last edited:
The Collace-Trexalon conflict is explicitly laid out in one of the Double Adventures (Divine Intervention/Night of Conquest) the "intervention" is on Pavabid, between those two worlds.

The overall conflict seems somewhat forced, as anti-Imperial Trexalon shouldn't be trying to dominate D268, but instead focus on expanding into Egyrn subsector. At first I thought it was because they hadn't yet detailed Egyrn and Pax Rulin when they wrote that one; but they had, in A4: Leviathan.

Perhaps they were not thinking in that direction? Now I agree with you that would have been the logical direction to go, but I think they got tired, and decided to do something else i.e. Megatraveller.

I tended in my later games to run in either Far Frontiers (the great FASA modules), or Reavers Deep (FASA and Gamelords). I liked both, I could never really get into the Solomani Rim, too settled, and not our cup of tea.

Also we have pretty much converted Character Gen, and combat to the Cyberpunk 2020/Friday Night Firefight rules with some mods. Combat is a lot cleaner and far more deadly than Classic Traveller.

Also we have pretty much converted Character Gen, and combat to the Cyberpunk 2020/Friday Night Firefight rules with some mods. Combat is a lot cleaner and far more deadly than Classic Traveller.
Color me intrigued - care to share more?

Pretty good choice. Gets about 80% of my CT Striker modded stuff done with fewer die rolls.

CP2020 should be remembered as the first built in life path process. Give Pondsmith his due.

Basically it is Cyberpunk 2020 char gen and combat. I added the Traveller skills, and such as Navy, Marines, Scouts, etc. When I got a skill, I give one skill point, and let them either roll or chose. I cut the offered skill points in Char Gen to the Minor hero level= 70 points on skills. They do a complete char gen for past such as the guy who did 4 terms in the scouts, and got out pretty well stocked in skills. For Char Gen is is 2D10 rejecting all scores below 5 except for SOC and ATTR
Characteristics are:
Intelligence
Reflexes
Cool
Luck
Technical Ability
Attractiveness ( this can be a hoot, if you get either a Korean Boy Band type, or someone who just went back for more whacks with the ugly stick)
Movement Allowance.
Empathy
Body (replaces Strength)
Social (2d10+5)

We use the Cyberpunk 2020 rule set for the most part. Some of the Traveller skills transfer 1:1 to Cyberpunk so no change there, others get added from books 4,5,6,7.
All characters start with the following skills:
Vacc Suit 2
Computer 1 (they can turn it on, and click on an icon)
Personal Grooming 1 (they know how to take a shower, sometimes)

We also use Cyberpunk Deep Space rules to make space extra deadly. Also some of the skills transfer to Traveller 1:1 so that is good. I cannot find the character sheet we made, but it basically has all the Cyberpunk skills and the front page has the Cyberware removed for more skills listed. I will have to dig through a bunch of old backup disks. It was pretty good, made in Word for the most part. Now I am annoyed that I cannot find that character sheet file. Pretty much 2d6 or 2d10 works on everything. Ship design is strictly High Guard and Book 2. World generation is a mix of World Designers Handbook, and 2300AD world gen.

Pretty good choice. Gets about 80% of my CT Striker modded stuff done with fewer die rolls.

CP2020 should be remembered as the first built in life path process. Give Pondsmith his due.
Pondsmith was and is freaking brilliant. Style over substance, unless you need substance....

Pretty sure that form of lifepath is Mike's, but it started with his earlier game, Mekton, and was present in the first edition of Cyberpunk as well.

Lifepath style processes started right here with Traveller, though. The BRP Ringworld RPG also featured a similar process. Mike & R.Tal were building on known foundations. Traveller doesn't ask about hair color or your relationship with your parents, though.

Lifepath style processes started right here with Traveller, though. The BRP Ringworld RPG also featured a similar process. Mike & R.Tal were building on known foundations. Traveller doesn't ask about hair color or your relationship with your parents, though.
Have you seen the process in the RPG "Bubblegum Crisis"? Another R.Tal game, but it takes it all further 😆

A good friend and I were joking about RPG systems where they are so complex that you have to have flow charts to determine the outcome of the action. Aftermath and Space Opera are great examples of this. That is why we have moved to Cyberpunk 2020 and such systems since the system does not get in the way of running the game. So much can be abstracted, I do not need to know how many kiloliters an engine is, or the gear head stuff.

I found some old character sheets, and I always allowed the characters to pick a totally random skill at level 5 (out of 10), and I found on this one sheet, the character had "Flower Arranging" as his level 5 random skill. The only caveat the guys had was the skill had to be something off the wall, another picked beer bottle labels of known space, and yet another picked obscure movie references. It added to the game. I would try and throw something in on occasions which allowed them to make a roll on their random skills.

Yeah, I did the same for years until CE came out and I was able to buy a Word-document version and edit the heck out of it. It's a great system that meshes very well with Traveller.

D.

Pretty sure that form of lifepath is Mike's, but it started with his earlier game, Mekton, and was present in the first edition of Cyberpunk as well.

I recall an interview with Pondsmith where he said that he was big Traveller player at one point. It certainly seems evident by the games he's written.

D.

I really, really tried to make a CP2020/2013 system work but the lack of Traveller-esque space stuff made it too much to convert. But I loved it and Interlock allows a lot of options. I am still in love with the original CP2013(lol!) (ie. original Friday Night Firefight) combat rules.

And I wrote a letter to Lisa Pondsmith in 9th grade and she wrote me back!!!

Back