• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Robot Characters/Robotics Institute

TKalbfus

SOC-14 1K
I've worked out the Stats for tech level 16 Humaniform Robot characters using the T20 Rules. There are two basic models, the Man-Form Robot and the Woman-Form Robot. The Man-Form Stand about 6 feet tall while the Woman-Form stands 5 feet 6 inches tall, they have external coverings that make them appear human. In TNE Setting and later they are produced by the Regency Robotics Institute-a secret organization similar in character to the Psionics institute. The Robots are made to appear human due to the prejudice against robots in the Regency after the Virus. The Regency Robotics Institute is a for-profit organization whose chairman is also a robot, their main goal is to produce AI Robots and sell them secretly, they also more openly produce artificial limbs for amputees and the factory that produces the prostetic limbs also produces entire robots themselves. These Robots follow Asmov's Three Laws of Robotic that state that:
1. A Robot cannot harm a human or through inaction allow a human to come to harm. (Vargrs and other aliens are fair game however)
2. A robot must follow instructions from a human unless countermanding a standing order by the robots owner.
3. A Robot must protect its own existance.

If the Virus attempts to infect the Robots Positronic Brain, the robot makes a Fortitude check and if it fails it suffers damage to its Data storage = to 1d6 x 1,000 xp, this represents the memory circuits the virus attempted to invade. The Three Laws Programming destroyed the memory circuits the virus has invaded to prevent it from taking over the Robot. The Robotics Institute was original set up by one of the programmers who helped create the Virus in the first place, he is now dead, by his robotic progeny continue the organization.
These Robots are basic models, they are capable of assuming any character class and can advance in those character classes up to a maximum of 1,000,000 XP.

Robots Models:

Man-form Robot: Medium-size Humaniform Robot; TL 16; Init +6; AC 16 (+6 Dex); AR 0; Spd 9m (6 sq); SI 12; Atk +6 melee (unarmed Attack 1d2+2); SV Fort +0, Ref +6, Will -5; SV M; Str 14, Dex 22, Con _, pInt 15, Wis 0, pCha 14, Edu 6, Soc 0.
Skills: Valet +3, Driving +7, P/Janitorial +1.
Feats: None
Equipment: Itself
Notes: This Robot adheres to the three laws of Robotics
Price: Cr 6,880,243.50

Woman-form Robot: Medium-size Humaniform Robot; TL 16; Init +6; AC 16 (+6 Dex); AR 0; Spd 9m (6 sq); SI 12; Atk +6 melee (unarmed Attack 1d2); SV Fort +0, Ref +6, Will -5; SV M; Str 10, Dex 22, Con _, pInt 15, Wis 0, pCha 14, Edu 6, Soc 0.
Skills: Valet +3, Driving +7, P/Cooking +1.
Feats: None
Equipment: Itself
Notes: This Robot adheres to the three laws of Robotics
Price: Cr 6,742,901.50

TL 16 Design Specifications Man-Form Robot
Installed Components Size Cost EP CPU/SP Range
100vl Chassis 100 100
Drive Train, Legged (2) -2.814 301.5 -0.067
High Tech Fusion -4.5 2,970 9
Fuel -21.6 72 mths
Holovideo Visual -1.5 2,000 -0.1
Auditory Sensors -0.2 200 -0.04 50 m
Olfactory Sensors -0.5 1,500 -0.05 1 km
Sensors, Normal Touch -4 12,000 -0.6
Voder -0.5 1,200 -0.03
Appendage Str 14, Dex 14 -7 19,600 -1.4
Model/M4 Robot Brain (Int 15) -48.735 705,000 -3.6
Subtotal 1.651 764,471.5 1.713
Humaniform Chassis 6,115,772
Total 1.651 Cr6,880,243.50 1.713

Software Installed PP Cost Notes
Personality Interface (Cha 10) 5 50,000 Cha 10
Library Data Interface 1 3,000 Edu +4
Valet 1 1,000
Driving 1 1,000 Driving-1 (Ground Car)
Cleaning 1 1,000 P/Janitorial-1

TL 16 Design Specifications Woman-Form Robot
Installed Components Size Cost EP CPU/SP Range
100vl Chassis 85 85
Drive Train, Legged (2) -2.3919 256.28 -0.05695
High Tech Fusion -4.5 2,970 9
Fuel -21.6 72 mths
Holovideo Visual -1.5 2,000 -0.1
Auditory Sensors -0.2 200 -0.04 50 m
Olfactory Sensors -0.5 1,500 -0.05 1 km
Sensors, Normal Touch -4 12,000 -0.6
Voder -0.5 1,200 -0.03
Model/M4 Robot Brain (Int 15) -48.735 705,000 -3.6
Subtotal 1.651 764,471.5 1.713
Humaniform Chassis 6,115,772
Total 1.651 Cr6,742,901.50 1.713

Software Installed PP Cost Notes
Personality Interface (Cha 10) 5 50,000 Cha 10
Library Data Interface 1 3,000 Edu +4
Valet 1 1,000
Driving 1 1,000 Driving-1 (Ground Car)
Cooking 1 1,000 P/Cooking-1

Model/M4 Robot Brain Base INT 5
Computer Core
Units: Positronic x90 (10% reduction due to miniturization)
Size: 48.6 vl
Cost: Cr 400,000
Total PP 49
Max PP 13
EP 3.6
CPU Output 10,000 (Model/4 Master Computer)

Data Storage
Units Holographic x 100
Storage Capacity 1,000,000 XP

Lord Tom, reprinted below is the machine that we have in service in our humble little system... as a comparison of conclusions... this is from August... I had the notion that the machine has a "cartridge" type programming, able to be switched for specific tasks, top save on programming space in the unit... bear in mind that this is a rough concept...

Morgan Harkness

SHDC Life Emulation Construct (Experimental Prototype)

Class: LEC
Cost: Cr 6,861,016
TL: 15
Size: Medium
Streamlining: No
Pressurized? NO Climate Control? NO
Drive Train: Legs
Passengers: None
Cargo Space: None
Range: 5 Weeks
Speed: 14kph
Acceleration: 1.4kph
EP Output: 20
Agility: 7
Initiative: +7
AC: 19
AR: 2
SI: 25
Visual: Holographic
Crew: None
Sensors: Olfactory, Auditory, Tactile
Fuel: 46.815vl
Comm: Voder
Other Equipment: SECAE Robotic Brain (see Below)

SHDC Life Emulation Construct
(Experimental Prototype)

Item/Size(vl)/Cost(Cr)/Ep/Note1/Note2
Humaniform Chassis
+150/150/X8 final cost .15/kph1.5 av
Armor 3 3027 AR 2
Legs DT 63 6750 1.5 14kph
Adv. Fusion Power 30 6600 +20
Fuel 46.815
Arm 7.5 22500 1.5 Str 15 Dex 15
Arm 7.5 22500 1.5 Str 15 Dex 15
Holovisual 3 30000 1.6 1600m
Voder .5 1200 .03
2 audio sensors .4 400 .02 50m
Olfactory .5 1500 .05 1km
Tactile 1 3000 .2
SECAE 9.585 305000 .63
Synaptic Emulative Control Assembly, Experimental (SECAE)
(A9)
Item VL Cr EP PP Note Note
Adv. Synaptic 9.45 7000 .63 Int 3
Low Artificial 80000 20 Int +6 Dex +6
Full Verbal Command 5000 10 Int +2
1000000xp Holo .135 50000
Library Data 3000 1
Liason 8000 8
Move Silently 8000 8
T/Computer 8000 8
Pilot Grav 8000 8
Swim 8000 8
Jump 8000 8
Spot 8000 8
Search 8000 8
Sense Motive 8000 8
Climb 8000 8
Gambling 8000 8
Broker 8000 8
Bluff 8000 8
Weapon Systems 4000 1
Aslan L Module 1000 5
Master 5000 5
Zhodani L Module 1000 5
Vilani L Module 1000 5
P/Admininstraton 8000 8
Trader 8000 8
Gather Information 8000 8
K/interstellar Law 8000 8
Appraise 8000 8
Personality Interface 50000 5 Cha 10
Protocol 500000 4 Soc 10 Edu: 13

Mr. Morgan Harkness

The machine known as Morgan Harkness was constructed in 1080 as an experimental concept robot. The initial implementation of the program was to create robotic duplicates of the State Family for use in areas of compromised security. It is unknown if this plan came to any merit.
Morgan Harkness serves as Sidur Haski’s Trade Advisor, and has occupied the post since 1085. Its primary role is that of a speculator of potential Trade Contracts and Resources. Its high degree of refined programming serves well in this capacity, and it has a formidable grasp on inter- system macroeconomics. The true nature of Mr. Harkness is one of Sidur Haski’s most classified state secrets. The general population views it as a valued and good-natured (though somewhat solitary) member of Sidur Haskian society, unaware that it is a machine. The success of this subterfuge reflects the sophistication of its programming. Harkness by all accounts is polite, direct, articulate, and quite humorous at times. It has even organized several State Functions entertaining outworld trade prospects.

TA9: Robots of Charted Space will also have a prototype of a humanoid AI for comparison. It'll be out some time shortly after TA8: Watercraft.

Looking forward to it,
Flynn

Just my two credits. You might want to modify them a bit to give them the construct type from D&D/D20 Modern, which makes them immune to crits etc. D20 Modern has a few write ups of robots. I suspect that d20 Future will have more. Otherwise good job.

Mike

I wouldn't do that myself. COnstructs in DnD are often that way because they are either pretty homogenous (eg Stone golems) or else held together by extreme magic if made of vulnerable parts - eg flesh golem

The exact bits vulnerable to criticals may be different in a robot, but then hearts may be in different places in vargr and humans and so on. Even vehicles have vulnerables to hit....

I'd stay with crits affecting them...possibly you might given them a robot type that means that crtis miss until their nature is revealed but that could apply to aliens of any nature - Huvers are more like aberrations than humanoids.

Maybe use feats to crit more than your type sort of ideas are useful here rather than giving one type special invulnerabilities.

Tim

The problem as I see it is crits are used to represent two very different types of damage. The random chance that a hit strikes something vital and the specific targeting of a vulnerability like in the Sniper Feat for example.

In the first case it should apply to all equally; vehicles, constructs, aliens, or whatever, its just luck (bad for the target, good for the attacker).

In the second case there should be a check (by the ref) to identify a vulnerability before you can even attempt the specified crit hit. Make the check and you are right and can attempt, fail the check (and probably automatic if you assume, for example, that the target is a human when in fact it is an android) and no specified crit is possible, though a random crit might still happen.

That'd be my take anyway.

I'd personally use Structural Integrety points as lifeblood points in AI Robots. Robot characters would also get stamina points with each level in character class they aquire. I'd use the vehicle rules for constructing the robot. As a vehicle the robot ignores the first 5 HD of damage it receives. I'd convert this Robot Vehicle into a Robot Character by giving it a built in AR of 5.
After so modifying this robot, you afterwards treat it just like any other character. Like a character, the robot can heal stamina points at a rate of 1 per day. A robot repair technician can accelerate this healing with a repair check. Sructural Integrity point damage requires a repair in order to heal as the later represents actual physical damage while the former represents exhaustion from attempts to avoid physical damage. A robot character will also need repair tools and a supply of spare parts in order to be fully repaired.

Tom,

I must admit that I respectfully do not share the same opinion, in regards to stamina. I don't think machines should get stamina. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure you've got your reasons for feeling that way, and I'd be interested in hearing them, if you are so inclined as to share.

Good luck,
Flynn

Well, people shouldn't get Stamina either. The amount of damage they can take before dying should be constant and not increase with experience. So people should only have Lifeblood and Robots only Structural Integrity. But since T20 gives character stamina. Robot characters should also get stamina to put them on an equal footing with characters who happen to be living creatures. What is your reasoning for not giving robot characters stamina? Do you want robots to be pushovers simply because they are not alive. Why should living characters have extra resistance to damage simply because they are alive? An AI robot is a kind of lifeform even if its made of different materials from biologicals. So if there is something about a lifeform's intelligence that gives it an added factor for avoiding damage (ie stamina), that factor should also apply to created lifeforms (ie robots).

Hehehe. I don't give robots stamina because they are vehicles, not aliens. It's a matter of how the T20 ruleset handles robots, nothing more than that. Vehicles don't get stamina, but racial characters do. That's just a matter of how I read the rules.

Change the premise that robots are vehicles to something else, such as just another alien race, and I don't have a problem with them having stamina. If I did that, however, I wouldn't build them using vehicle rules, but just design a racial description for them, and they become another racial option like Vargr, Aslan, etc. But if I use the vehicle rules to create them, they would be treated as vehicles in my game. That doesn't mean it has to be that way for everyone, but that is just my opinion.

[As an aside, not having Stamina is a good thing. Means you don't get knocked out, you don't take damage from effects that affect only stamina, you are immune to non-Brawling attacks in a bar-room fight, etc. In other D20 Systems, it's equivalent to not taking subdual damage. Personally, adding Stamina to Robots weakens them in my opinion. But then again, this is just my opinion.]

Hey, Tom, none of this is meant to be attacking or anything. Just expressing my opinion, and trying to do so respectfully. While I'm not sure if I am upsetting you or not, I figure I should at least let you know that such is not my intention. How you do things in your game is up to you, and I have no right to speak to that. I'm just saying my thoughts on how I handle this in my game, nothing more.

Take care, and Peace,
Flynn

I hope you don't mind me joining in, but I can see valid points to both sides of this discussion.
The problem exists because T20 chose to split D&D hit points into lifeblood and stamina, the latter of which more closely resembles classic hit points.
Hit points in D&D represent the damage a body can take, and the experience to dodge or roll with a blow in order to avoid more damage.
T20, in common with the house rules of many D&D groups I've seen over the years, chose to split hit points up into actual body damage and experience based hit points, called stamina. Vehicles only have SI because they can not learn how to avoid damage.
What about robots?
My answer is, it depends on the robot's programming. If it can be programmed with defence routines then it can dodge in combat, represented by the DEX bonus the operating system gives the robot. If the robot can actually learn how to avoid damage then it should be capable of earning experience points. This is only possible with AI robot brains, TL15 and above in T20.
It even states in the rule book that AIs can gain levels in the various classes.
So does an AI robot gain SI with levels? No.
Should an AI robot gain some sort of stamina equivalent? Yes, call it Structural Resiliance or anything you want to. It begins equal to the robots SI+the roll HDs for starting level, and then goes up with experience and levels just like any other character.
Assuming a human sized robot like the one in the book (and using 1vl=1litre for robots) that's a SI-12 and SR-12+HD(roll).
Problem is treating it as AR5 (or vehicle scale, which ever way you do it). Solution, the monster level requirement from D&D, i.e. an AI robot is treated as a level5 monster, so a "1st level" PC AI robot would be level6 for play balance.
Note, these numbers may change when I've thought about it a bit more, i.e. what other benefits/disadvantages do AI robot PCs have?

Hehehe. I don't give robots stamina because they are vehicles, not aliens. It's a matter of how the T20 ruleset handles robots, nothing more than that. Vehicles don't get stamina, but racial characters do. That's just a matter of how I read the rules.
The way I figure it, if it has a brain and is capable of making decisions, its a character. Vehicles don't think and can't learn, and so can't gain experience and levels in any class, it is effectively at zero level and has no stamina. Give it a positronic brain and an AI program, then it becomes a character with stamina. I still use the vehicle rules to construct its body, because its a construct. Its intelligence depends on what sort of computer I put inside the robot, his strength depends on what sort of arms I give him, his SI depends on his size. There are rules for putting together a robot. I follow those rules then I convert him into a character. It just doesn't seem right simply to roll 3d6s to generate the ability scores of the robot. For one thing the robot has a cost and the vehicle rules determines the robot's cost. The robot also has an owner, someone who paid for his construction. If a player wants to buy an AI robot, I have to tell him how much it costs. If I just roll 3d6s and generate a random robot, I don't have an answer for the player about how much of his money he's going to have to put up to get it constructed. Interestingly enough, a humaniform robot costs about Cr6 million according to the Vehicle rules, this is the price of an AI robot exported from a TL 17 civilization. I imagine that for the inhabitants of such a civilization the robots are free since robot labor would replace human labor and AI robots would man factories that constructed more AI robots. TL 17 is also the tech level in which large scale terraforming occurs. Such a society can literally build enough robots to get the job done. Another invention for an TL 17 society is a "holodeck", their are a number of ways to implement this, but basically a holodeck is controlled by a large positronic computer with multiple AI personalities running on it at the same time. One version of the holodeck has the computer manipulating force fields and holograms to mimick the illusion of reality. Another version is a VR facility that plugs directly into the human brain, this version resembles the Cold Sleep low berths of loser tech levels, but instead of freezing the human occupant, the computer plugs into the human brain and gives that human direct sensory stimulus creating a virtual world the human can experience while packed safely away in a starship's cargo hold. A virtual body is created for the human occupant and plenty of virtual characters and creatures are thrown his way. The experience is indistinguishable from reality. The nomber of personalities the positronic computer can hold determines the number of intelligent creatures that can be encountered. This gives the GM and excuses to have a D&D session during the interlude perhaps.

Holodecks are functionally available at TLs well below TL17. Holography is TL10, but I suspect the type you're really getting at involved neural connections, possible at TL12. Neural connections without direct connection become possible as early as TL15. VR Personalities of the type you describe are standard interstellar interpersonal communications at TL15, according to MT.

Tom, I think we can agree that we disagree on the Stamina issue, as we have different points of view, and just let it go at that. It's not a bad thing, it's just a different thing.
No worries.

Enjoy,
Flynn

Just to clarify...I suggested that robots have the construct type, because that's the way robots are done in D20 Modern. I suspect that D20 Future will have more on robots this summer.

I know the rules mechanics are a bit different in D20 Modern than D&D but I think they're done that way cause robots lack vital organs.

Mike

Robots have vital organs, not the squishy kind like we do, but their there nevertheless. A Robot needs a Brain, destroy this brain and the robot ceases to function, the brain might not be in the obvious place either. the robot I designed using the T20 rules would have to have its brain in its chest as it takes up half the volume of the robot. Robots have a central nervious system, joints and muscles as well. There is a mechanical/physical reason why a robot works and because ot that a robot has vital organs just like a living creature does. A zombie doesn't have vital organs, its heart doesn't beat, it brain rots and its muscles don't contract, the reason why it moves at all has to do with something outside of physics and as a result, it has no vital organs. The only way to destroy a zombie is to separate all it parts from each other so that there in no longer 1 body for the animated spirit to act on. A golem is a construct, that has no vital organs either. Like a robot, a golem is a made thing, but unlike a robot a golem has no vital organs as there is no physical reason why it should move, instead magic animates it. Robots don't have magic to move them, that is why they need vital organs to manipulate physical forces to make them function. I even think a robot should have a constitution score. A robot in good working order would have a high constitution score, while one in need or repair would have a low one.

Related Discussion

Depends on the purpose of the robot, the feel of the game and GM whim.

As a guideline

Robotic Ship Steward/Concierge
Examples: Buck Rodgers "Twikie" Red Dwarf "Kryten" "C3PO"
Single body, limited intelligence/abilities, roughly appropriate for a lower player level game would be arround 100KCr to build effectively. In fact the "personal services robot" in the standard design chapter is exactly of this type and cost.

Robotic Multipurpose Infantry
Examples: Battlestar Galactica "Cyclons"
Single Body. Combat Capable. Moderate Intelligence.
You can build a decent robotic infantryman by getting a suit of battledress with a small computer hammered into it. As such the cost would generally be in the order of 200-500KCr. Appropriate for a more combative game.

Robotic ship
Examples: Far too many to mention
Single inhabitation, needs additional bodies for interaction/repair purposes.
No problem plonking a high end computer into a ship, the standard ships computer (even a rating one) can run a fairly nifty machine intelligence. A couple of simple remote controlled maintenance droids gives the character more of a chance to interact on a human level. Fairly cheap, I'd look for arround 100KCr of programming and several droids arround the 30-100KCr mark as assistants. Not an option if the game isn't ship-centred.

Android
Examples: StarTrek "Data" and "Lore", DARYL "Daryl"
Single body. Difficult to tell apart from meat.
Surprisingly expensive. The requirement to be socially interactive imply needing both charisma and social class programs running. This requires a big machine (high M/low E) to do effectively. Also requires the humaniform chasis which is incredibly expensive. Personally I see no reason for building a robot like this except as a proof of concept. However it is a good choice for a PC. Likely cost would be in the order of 1-2 MCr maybe more.

RepairBot
Examples: "R2D2"
Single Body. Tools/Skills based
Basically just another ship steward type bot. Budget would probably be a little higher, requiring a slightly better machine, as well as a variety of tools inbuilt and a larger skill library to draw on. I would estimate a similar range to the combat robot (200-500KCr).

RoboWarrior Project
Example: The terminator "Skynet"
Multibodied. Highly intelligent. Militarised.
(Note. This is the machine intelligence out of one of my current games). Consists of an E7 computer running a low AI in a 20dTon (28,000Vl) modified armed APC, 2 M8 computers in 5dTon (7000Vl) attack craft similar to mini fast attack sleds, and 15 suits of modified 300Vl battledress holding M2 class computers. Everything built to a TL13 spec and designed for the battlefield. The trial machine has a Low AI (TL15) installed in the APC, the production model will have a HAL much like the two fast attack bikes. The APC has a reasonable top speed (480Kmph) and can carry all of the Battledress based robots, the fast attack bikes can go faster(2500Kmph). Endurance is arround 1 month with everything active continuously. Total cost is in the order of 36 MCr. Without any programming included or any discounts the APC costs 13.2MCr, the sleds 9.2MCr and the suits 280KCr.

I can think of some use for androids here is a list:

1) Reenactors, you can make an android of Abe Lincoln and George Washington, under T20 rules this is bound to be expensive, but the robot pays for itself through the sale of tickets to tourists. We have animatronics now, but a truly intelligent android would be more versitile in this role as he would be able to interact with the audience.

2) Espionage, androids could be spies or impostors. What you need to do is capture a person such as a terrorist or gangster, and then you make an android of that person while keeping the real thug in a secluded spot and his associates in the dark as to the fact that he's been captured. The Android will then try to betray the syndicate to the authorities. Bad guys can do this to PCs. The GM will have to pull the player aside and tell him that he's been replaced by an android, and the player will then have to play the android until such time as the android betrays the PCs or the real PC that has been captured escapes.

3) Then their are pleasure androids and servants. People will sometimes want to own robots that look human. Sometimes they will be used as sex toys, other times they are a status symbol (i.e. an attractive robot secretary in a reception room)

4) The forth use of an android is as a personal body guard. The owner might not wish for body guard robots to be obvious. The robot will pose as the protectee's companion or other functionary. The reasons for this are.

a) The protectee might refuse a bodyguard, however the owner of the robot would like to see him protected anyway, so he builds an attractive robot of the opposite sex so that robot can get close to him. the robot appears unarmed, but it has weapons built into its arms that pop out when needed. The robot is laso much stronger than it appears and has body armor under its skin.

b) The assassin would like to take out the body guards first before they can act, but if they don't know what the body guard looks like, they don't know who to shoot at first. Making a robot look human helps in this regard.

Back