• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Shadow of Saganami

Tekrat04

SOC-11
For thoes that cannot wait to get their hands on the new Honor Harrington book it's now available in the ebook format at Baen books.

I just stated to read it this morning.

The ebook is also much cheaper than the hardback version ($6 vs $18 at Amazon). Downside is that reading on the screen isn't as satisfying or as portable as a regular book. I tend to get the ebook and then the paperback down the road.

I keep a number of ebooks on my laptops in case I run out of books when I'm on the road. Comes in quite handy.

The first few books in the Harrington series are also available for free at the Baen website.

Ron

Originally posted by Tekrat04:
For thoes that cannot wait to get their hands on the new Honor Harrington book it's now available in the ebook format at Baen books.

Yeah, the first 5-8 chapters have been available online for a while now. It looks like it should be a pretty good book.

Originally posted by BrennanHawkwood:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tekrat04:

Yeah, the first 5-8 chapters have been available online for a while now. It looks like it should be a pretty good book. </font>[/QUOTE]The first 44 chapters (and more still coming):

http://jiltanith80.thefifthimperium.com/

Hans

I started it yesterday. But I find I much prefer to sit back and relax, insetad of sitting at a computer screen. I guess I will wait for my copy.

The book I downloaded is complete all the way to the epilogue. As for portability, I read my ebooks on my Palm Pilot.

I've been reading ebooks on one Pocket PC or another (started with a greyscale Aero 1550, moved to an iPAQ 3955 and finally a hx4700) for about 4 years now.

It's very convienient to have a half dozen or more books always ready for long bus rides, boring meetings, etc...

Of course, it helps that Baen has such a wonderful ebook service, I don't know that I would have gotten nearly as interested were it not for them.

Originally posted by rancke:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BrennanHawkwood:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tekrat04:

Yeah, the first 5-8 chapters have been available online for a while now. It looks like it should be a pretty good book. </font>[/QUOTE]The first 44 chapters (and more still coming):

http://jiltanith80.thefifthimperium.com/

Hans
</font>[/QUOTE]Um...that might not be a legal copy of those chapters. It was my understanding that the first 15 chanpters had been released free and that the rest of the ebook had to be purchased via a webscription. (Admittably, the book may well end up on one of Baen's wonderful little CDs that they include with some of their novels, but that usually doesn't happen until after the book is in print).

Originally posted by BrennanHawkwood:
Um...that might not be a legal copy of those chapters. It was my understanding that the first 15 chanpters had been released free and that the rest of the ebook had to be purchased via a webscription. (Admittably, the book may well end up on one of Baen's wonderful little CDs that they include with some of their novels, but that usually doesn't happen until after the book is in print).
Just got email back from Baen indicating that the site is legitimate and legal...time to go do some reading!

so does it take place after War of Honor?

and is Harrington the main character still?

im only just starting Honor of the Queen because I couldn't never pick On Baslisk Station back up untill now.

Originally posted by slyen2:
so does it take place after War of Honor?

and is Harrington the main character still?

im only just starting Honor of the Queen because I couldn't never pick On Baslisk Station back up untill now.
Shadow of Saganami takes place after War of Honor. Harrington only appears briefly (which is a good thing, IMHO).

Ron

Well just finished it. I liked it but it wasn't up to, IMHO, David Weber's usual work. The characters seemed flatter than the normal Honor Harrington books. It feels like he took a bunch of background characters, and put them in the book and left them as background characters. I only got a feel for two of the characters. And one of those was because they were better developed in earlier work.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but compared to the rest of the series, I just wasn't impressed.

Anyone else notice the name of one of the ships mentioned in the background? The SD Ad Astra.
I wonder where I have seen that name come up before.... Hmmmmmm.

Back