• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Shadow of Saganami

At a guess, I'd say the name, Ad Astra, came from a reference in "Insurection", and was given to the company you reference. The oldest Copyright I could find for the game is 2000, and "Insurection" predates that by years.

But that's just a guess.

That was sort of my impression as well. I think that perhaps another book on these characters might make them less 2 dimensional, and more living, breathing characters.

Originally posted by Bhoins:
Well just finished it. I liked it but it wasn't up to, IMHO, David Weber's usual work. The characters seemed flatter than the normal Honor Harrington books. It feels like he took a bunch of background characters, and put them in the book and left them as background characters. I only got a feel for two of the characters. And one of those was because they were better developed in earlier work.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but compared to the rest of the series, I just wasn't impressed.

My impression of the book was quite good actually. I found it a nice read though some of the development could have been bolstered with less of the sitting around a table having to put everything into simple terms all the time.

One thing I did like though was the fact the book gave a guage for exactly how out of date Solly equipment really is.

Originally posted by Thomas Pope:
Actually, it is probably due to the (relatively little known) fact that Ad Astra Games is producing a licensed tactical starship combat simulation.

Tom (playtester)
Could be. But the fact that it was a Traveller SubLiner in the early 80s, is even more fun.

Hello, I kinda new around here, but since I am a HH fan, I thought I would toss my two cents in.

I finished reading my pre-Christmas present copy of Shadow of Saganami and enjoyed it a lot. I go out of my way now to get the hardcover editions of David Weber's work now. And whever a new HH novel comes out that replaces an earlier title that was a paperback in my collection, it gets replaced.

OK, Now i have a silly question. Based on Character development who is the Main character in the book? Is it the haunted Captain Aivars Terekhov, the young MidShipwoman Helen Zilwicki, The Grayson Steadholder's Daughter, Lt Abigail Hearns? Or some other character? (Wanderman and Lewis stick out but that is just because we already knew them.
)

Originally posted by Bhoins:
OK, Now i have a silly question. Based on Character development who is the Main character in the book? Is it the haunted Captain Aivars Terekhov, the young MidShipwoman Helen Zilwicki, The Grayson Steadholder's Daughter, Lt Abigail Hearns? Or some other character? (Wanderman and Lewis stick out but that is just because we already knew them.
)
I found that the book did lack a central character. The only one new to the setting was Captain Terekhov, Midshipwoman Zilwicki and Lt. Hearns are both returning characters.

My impression of the story was that this was a springboard for future stories with the doors being open for multiple characters and the closing of an arc that was the focus on HH.

Originally posted by Tekrat04:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bhoins:
)
I found that the book did lack a central character. The only one new to the setting was Captain Terekhov, Midshipwoman Zilwicki and Lt. Hearns are both returning characters.

My impression of the story was that this was a springboard for future stories with the doors being open for multiple characters and the closing of an arc that was the focus on HH.
</font>[/QUOTE]I didn't notice any of the characters getting a better write up, or developement than most of the background characters in his previous works. I could tell you more about Rafe Cardones, Scotty Tremaine or Horace Harkness after On Basilisk Station then any character in Shadow of Saganami, especially if I ignore the previous material on Midshipwoman Zilwicki, LT Hearns, CPO Wanderman, or LT Commander Lewis.

Even Mateo Gutierrez, who is now Abigail's bodyguard and should always be at her back only makes two appearences and he isn't someone you are likely to miss in a room. For some reason I don't think of him as a slacker. (Could it be from the "In the Service of the Sword" story?)

In a way, I think that it Shadow of Saganami had been written with from the perspective or focus on fewer characters, it would have been a better book and would have given time to flesh out the remaining characters more.

One of the things that I love about Lois Bujold's books is that the focus is on a few characters, and the novels/stories tend to be written from the perspective of just one character (Civil Campaign being a notable exception). As a result, the Bujold novels seem more character driven and the characterizations of the main character and the primary supporting characters feels better.

I do like Weber's writing, and he can write stories that are focussed on a relatively small number of characters. I just think that he does better when he doesn't try to cover as grand of a scope as Shadow of Saganami.

Ron

True the character development was very week overall compaired to some of his previous works.

The big part of the charater development for returnig characters occured in other stories.

For example Midshipwoman Zilwicki temperment and attituded was establish in "From the Highlands" by Eric Flint. Shawdow of Saganami only added to that foundation. If I had not read that storiy first there would have been huge holes in my understanding of her.

For Lt. Hearns and here armsman Gutierrez it's "The Service of the Sword".

If one had not read all the stories in the Honorverse before reading Shadow of Saganami they are setting themselves up for a dissapiontment.

Originally posted by Ron Vutpakdi:
In a way, I think that it Shadow of Saganami had been written with from the perspective or focus on fewer characters, it would have been a better book and would have given time to flesh out the remaining characters more.

One of the things that I love about Lois Bujold's books is that the focus is on a few characters, and the novels/stories tend to be written from the perspective of just one character (Civil Campaign being a notable exception). As a result, the Bujold novels seem more character driven and the characterizations of the main character and the primary supporting characters feels better.

I do like Weber's writing, and he can write stories that are focussed on a relatively small number of characters. I just think that he does better when he doesn't try to cover as grand of a scope as Shadow of Saganami.

Ron
Ron,
The problem wasn't that it focused on fewer characters. It didn't really focus on any characters, in terms of development. That is my main, but only gripe about it. Overall the plot was good, the characters were just flat. I don't expect another Honor, or Rafe or Alastair, Or Scottie, or Horace, or even Nimitz, but all those characters were better developed in On Basilisk Station then any character was in Shadow of Saganami and the first book was 419 pages and the newest one was 747 pages.

Hi Everyone

I am new to this site, but have read all of the books of the series, which I include this book in...for now. This is one of my favorite series of all time. I liked this book, but have not really sat down and analysed the book. Being a girl, I tend to identify with the female characters. I like David Weber's female characters. My first thought, is that I want to see more of Abigail Hearns in future books. I also tend to read books over and over so I may expand my opinions of this book the more I read it. Next I am going to reread War of Honor. Nice to meet all of you, I look forward to discussing many items of interest with everyone. Bye for now.

I female HH fan? You know, I expected more of them to exist...no insult or anything, its just surprising the lack of them.

Seeing more of Abigail Hearns would be nice. I suspect we'll get to see more of her in the future.

Then again, I want to see more female Grayson officers following in the shadow of the great Steadholder Harrington...yah, we're still a wee ways off from seeing the first female Grayson captain, but we can all hope right?

Back