• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Shell hulls in T5 ? Half of what?

Book 2, P72, the chart at the top says Shell hulls have "Frameless alloy skin. Lighter (Half Tonnage)"

What does this mean?
How does is apply when building a ship?

Is it saying that you buy a hull based on the cost of a hull half that size?

Any explanations known?

Armour layers are half tonnage, see Scout B2 p43.
It's been a while since I've been in these pages. It took me a moment to work out the table. So the shell is effectively a frame-less design, hence the reduced armour value. If you want better protection, get something with a superstructure and heavier skin.

Yes, but for the same tonnage you get two layers of Shell armour, so effectively the same armour value. You also get two anti-layers, where the real magic happens, so Shell is actually better than frame-and-plate.

I like the concept of a shell: open office.

Bolting down the engines seems a little more problematic.
I suppose that comes down to the description of how it all happens, superstructure vs hull plate framework. At least I can now envisage a hull plate framework on some vessels versus large fabricated sections that fit over the superstructure, taking less volume and mass because they come in big shell-sections.

Punching a hole through the hull can be plugged.

Crushing it might make it shatter, so opposing pressure might be more dangerous.

Back