• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ships’ services IYTU

chipla

SOC-12
Having recently joined the hallowed ranks of WashEnjoy VIP and now currently washing my clothes after a visit to the DMZ in 33C weather. I was wondering how people handled ships’ services (laundry, food replenishment, general chandlery, and similar things) in their universes rather OTU or otherwise.

I know that many ships have various laundry facilities onboard but I suspect even in the far future there will be people (like me) who would rather have the big machine do all the laundry every fortnight rather than do it themselves (particularly if like me they don’t have a dryer and live in an apartment/stateroom).

Attachments

• IMG_4045.jpeg
    IMG_4045.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
The fresher in every stateroom includes laundry facilities.

Sanitary necessities are handled by the fresher, which includes a multi-function
shower, a toilet, a sink, and a small washerldryer (for the benefit of middle
passengers). All components fold unobtrusively out of the way when not in use.

The fresher in every stateroom includes laundry facilities.
Uh huh, and what about the other stuff I mentioned? Chandlery, meal replenishment etc etc.

Like do ships pick from a catalogue and have items delivered to them like is seen in the Lianden universe on occasion or do ships captains haggle for cheaper fresh provender amidst the stench of spice and rum.

(Yes it depends on world but what’s the average experience.)

Well, it should be the steward that does the haggling for food rather than the captain.

I'd see it as being a mix of transmitting an order during approach for the majority of supplies (including standard provisions determined by the steward, replacement parts/consumables determined by the engineer, medical supplies determined by the medic, requests from individual crew members), then the steward would go out to buy locally sourced fresh foodstuffs to supplement (and hopefully improve) the basic food supplies.

I just have the homeless guy run out on the Tarmac and begin washing the Starship Windshield with dirty water then demanding a TIP for services rendered. :cool:

If you leave the ship, dozens of unemployed locals swarm you offering to direct you to find WHATEVER you are looking for at the best price in town ... "'Cause you are my first customer of the day."

Here are some services over and above berthing that are available if chrome/drama requires it. Some are included in berthing & life support, some extra

Starport passenger elements:
Passenger terminal - final boarding, amenities, passenger bridge/stairs
Concourse (passenger svc) - ticketing, baggage, retail, hospitality, assistance
Public Customs/Immigration - extrality line for exit to planet; at terminal for in-system vessels

Starport cargo/commercial elements:
Cargo terminal - container & bulk cargo loading, crane/lifter, intra-facility cargo transport;
decontamination (fumigation, irradiation), bonded warehouse, quarantine warehouse
Forwarding services

The Exchange/Cargo Office bldg - brokers engaged in speculative cargo & freight; some physical inspection capability
Hiring hall - socialize, employer interview, qualification verification

Transporation hub - terrestrial & in-system transport, Parking, Truck parking

Flight support:
ship tow, berthing
Fueling, Water & Gas (O2 N2);
life support stores & provisions (chandlers)
galley & cabin janitorial/cleaning svcs;
hazmat, bio & medical waste svc - removal, spill containment & clean up, storage
inspection & certification

Shipyard
Repair shops esp power & drive, computer & electronics maintenance

Candle making?
That’s the origin yes but in this context means general ship’s goods, such that you’d find at a chandlers.

Why boat goods shops are named after the man in charge of candles in a stately home is a story that while short is also boring and not worth repeating while I’m on my phone.

I know that many ships have various laundry facilities onboard but I suspect even in the far future there will be people (like me) who would rather have the big machine do all the laundry every fortnight rather than do it themselves (particularly if like me they don’t have a dryer and live in an apartment/stateroom).
Ok, Generally we assume that there is laundry facilities as part of the fresher (i.e. like lots of real world boats), further note looking for Washers and galleys is one of favorite pastimes of my group.

As for chandlery and the like, it depends of the type/size of ship y'all are running. Small ships, provisions and the like generally someone on the crew wanders down to the Cash and Carry, with bigger quantities and the like being delivered at the dock/hanger. Larger ships it's all arranged delivery. Gaming note, this covered by the life-support cost in some editions, as such we have had a fair amount of Role-playing/haggling over said costs.

Ok, Generally we assume that there is laundry facilities as part of the fresher (i.e. like lots of real world boats), further note looking for Washers and galleys is one of favorite pastimes of my group.
Indeed part of why I ask is that my group likes the idea of the pantry on the drinaxi harrier so are very keen on the restocking of their ship supplies and finding interesting ingredients.

If it comes up I’ll probably give them a boon or a dice modifier if they have fancy guests on board and serve the good food and good wine.

I just have the homeless guy run out on the Tarmac and begin washing the Starship Windshield with dirty water then demanding a TIP for services rendered. :cool:

If you leave the ship, dozens of unemployed locals swarm you offering to direct you to find WHATEVER you are looking for at the best price in town ... "'Cause you are my first customer of the day."

Just don't let them pump your LHyd for you . . .

Candle making?
That’s the origin yes but in this context means general ship’s goods, such that you’d find at a chandlers.

Why boat goods shops are named after the man in charge of candles in a stately home is a story that while short is also boring and not worth repeating while I’m on my phone.

I have always wondered myself about how that term is used both for Candlemaker and Ship-supplier.
I'll take a guess and say (after taking a glance at the links I posted) that it has to do with the fact that the Ship's Chandler originally dealt (among other things) in supplying pitch, wax, tallow, tar, and resins (et al) in order to caulk & seal hulls and make things watertight.

I have always wondered myself about how that term is used both for Candlemaker and Ship-supplier.
I'll take a guess and say (after taking a glance at the links I posted) that it has to do with the fact that the Ship's Chandler originally dealt (among other things) in supplying pitch, wax, tallow, tar, and resins (et al) in order to caulk & seal hulls and make things watertight.
Basically yeah.

Chandleries originally were the offices in medieval households that dealt with wax and candles. As medieval households started to become more or less defunct the term came to mean a place where someone sold candles. Medieval chandleries were closely associated with the eweries (which were in turn associated with the laundries and naperies) and sculleries many early modern and 18th century chandleries (as in candle shops) also sold items related to those professions (mostly oils, soaps and paints but also occasionally linens).

Since oils, soaps, paints and linens are of particular use to ships enterprising chandleries in towns near the sea (i.e. most of Britain) started selling other ship's goods such as tools, tar, pitch, sail cloth etc. As the age of sail began in earnest you'd find chandlers also selling food, salt, and limes (to prevent scurvy).

From there they became a sort of nautical general store, a one stop shop for ship's goods including materials for maintenance, food and occasionally bunkerage - which is advantageous to commercial ships crews, because they don't want to have to look in multiple places for goods (meaning a quick turn around), and you could historically (and even somewhat today) extend credit (meaning currency exchange is less of an issue).

IMTU once you reach TL 9 (current day we are TL 7) there is no more human labor in this area. You toss your dirty clothes into a receptacle and a "bot" picks them up and delivers them to a machine that washes, dries and folds/hangs them. The bot them delivers them back to you. In large operations the bot places physically imperceptible RFID tags on each item so they all get delivered back to the right place if mixed with other clothes. Those tags are deactivated before the clothes are returned.

IMTU once you reach TL 9 (current day we are TL 7) there is no more human labor in this area. You toss your dirty clothes into a receptacle and a "bot" picks them up and delivers them to a machine that washes, dries and folds/hangs them. The bot them delivers them back to you. In large operations the bot places physically imperceptible RFID tags on each item so they all get delivered back to the right place if mixed with other clothes. Those tags are deactivated before the clothes are returned.
Sounds reasonable. We're already moving into an era in which people are less and less inclined to leave their homes to get what they want. Seems like only a short step from getting your groceries and meals delivered to your door to getting your laundry picked up and returned clean to your door.

Sounds reasonable. We're already moving into an era in which people are less and less inclined to leave their homes to get what they want. Seems like only a short step from getting your groceries and meals delivered to your door to getting your laundry picked up and returned clean to your door.
About 8 years ago I read one of those cloth diaper services had expanded to full service all laundry pick-up and deliver. But the cost was not cheap for sure. :)

Back