• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ship's Emergency Equipment

What? No portable fire extinguishers? I'd think a range of types would be acceptable depending on where on the ship they were located.

Depending on the type of ship, merchants being held to a lower standard as they are not expected to regularly get damaged / blasted in battle, you should include:

Shoring materials like strong backs, jacks, and portable bracing equipment.

Emergency power cabling.

A fan / blower and trunks to desmoke a compartment.

Entry / demolition tools for accessing damaged compartments along with basic tooling to carry out damage control.

Absorbent material that allows you to contain and "soak up" chemical spills.

I would also limit an "Emergency" / "Damage Control" locker to materials for that purpose. That is, controlling situations like a fire or hull breach and containing that damage. Repair would be a separate thing that the ship's engineers etc., would carry out afterwards. So, things like extensive tool kits and medical supplies (beyond basic first aid) would not be in them.
It also wouldn't contain things for controlling something like a hijacking. Would you really want crew or passengers to have access to weapons and weapon-like materials or equipment? After all, such a locker couldn't be locked as that would defeat the purpose of it being readily accessible in an emergency.

I'd also think the size of the vessel would be important. A far trader of 200 tons or a 100 ton scout or other small ship likely is not going to have the space or need for such extensive equipment. I would also bet if such were mandated you'd have a bunch of ships registered to the equivalent of Liberia, Mauritania, or Panama where the "standards" for such stuff are far lower or non-existent.
Bureaucrats can mandate all sorts of stuff only to see their efforts foiled by operators who unlike the bureaucrats, have to make a profit.

What? No portable fire extinguishers?

Good point. Maybe the OP expected Damage Control equipment to be in a different location; still, probably some minimums mandated by regs.

Is "strong backs" a technical term for some piece of damage control equipment, or do you just mean literally having some physically fit crewmen to do the work?

It also wouldn't contain things for controlling something like a hijacking. Would you really want crew or passengers to have access to weapons and weapon-like materials or equipment? After all, such a locker couldn't be locked as that would defeat the purpose of it being readily accessible in an emergency.

Agreed. The ship's weapons locker would not be the same as the emergency lockers. Probably one on the Bridge, plus security lockers at key locations, accessible by crew only.

EDIT: Plus, ship defense weapons would not likely be mandated by regs, but rather up to the preference of the individual ship owner or company.

What? No portable fire extinguishers? ...

I considered the halon system and the ability to control the environment adequate to smother fire. Shut off the O2 to a section and most fires will smother themselves if the system doesn't do it. I'm open to suggestions though. Thoughts?

... you should include:

Emergency power cabling.

A fan / blower and trunks to desmoke a compartment.

Entry / demolition tools for accessing damaged compartments along with basic tooling to carry out damage control.

Absorbent material that allows you to contain and "soak up" chemical spills. ...

I'm more familiar with building structural requirements than with ship requirements. What am I using shoring and bracing materials for in space? What am I using a fan for that I can't address by kicking the existing ventilation system into high gear? Absorbent chemicals are a good idea, but what spills are we expecting that would require them as part of mandated safety equipment, as opposed to just having them with the cleaning supplies and engine room supplies? Power cabling I'd consider to be among spare parts kept in engineering; should I mandate a level of spare parts generically? Entry/demolition tools - would those not be among the metalworking or mechanical kits, or is there a need for something quicker than a cutting torch?

...I would also limit an "Emergency" / "Damage Control" locker to materials for that purpose. That is, controlling situations like a fire or hull breach and containing that damage. Repair would be a separate thing that the ship's engineers etc., would carry out afterwards. So, things like extensive tool kits and medical supplies (beyond basic first aid) would not be in them.

We're extending now into the layout of the ship, which is a bit beyond what I was planning. It's not uncommon for emergency supplies to be in locked rooms when you have a concern about public access to them. Anything you want immediate access to is already on the walls in public areas, like those O2 masks, or maybe the proposed fire extinguishers. Anything needing to be closeted, the necessary parties - all crew, in this case - would have keys to; that's what they do in nursing homes and hospitals to prevent pilferage and to keep patients out of things that might be unsafe in the hands of the untrained. Or, in the far future you could have thumbprint locks or voice recognition or some such method.

Weapons are secured in a weapons locker in the locked compartment - double security, and the only required weapons there are snub pistols, and there are separate weapons lockers on the bridge and in the engine room. Those were mandated for their ability to quell problems nonlethally, and for that purpose I believe it is helpful for the crew not on bridge or in engineering to have the ability to arm themselves if needed without having to access the bridge or engine room to do so. I wouldn't keep anything heavier than a snub pistol in there for the reasons you cite. Hijackers, or crew trying to mutiny if you're worried about that, would still be faced with armed crew in a locked bridge and engine room. They might threaten passengers, but they themselves are essentially imprisoned unless they can force access to a boat or vehicle, and those are usually behind doors just as strong as the ones protecting bridge and engine room and likely controlled from the bridge. No rule covers where the captain puts his weapons locker for any other weapons he might buy; if he's wise, he'll have it on the bridge or, if the ship is large enough to warrant security troops, in a guarded security armory.

That is however an excellent reason to keep the tools in engineering: wouldn't want someone using those to get through the iris ports. I believe I will edit it to reflect that.

...I'd also think the size of the vessel would be important. A far trader of 200 tons or a 100 ton scout or other small ship likely is not going to have the space or need for such extensive equipment. I would also bet if such were mandated you'd have a bunch of ships registered to the equivalent of Liberia, Mauritania, or Panama where the "standards" for such stuff are far lower or non-existent.
Bureaucrats can mandate all sorts of stuff only to see their efforts foiled by operators who unlike the bureaucrats, have to make a profit.

I don't see anything there that's going to impact the bottom line. It's stocked at the outset by the builder, might be replaced come annual maintenance time to deal with expiration dates, but it doesn't add up to a terrible lot and - other than expiration dates at annual maintenance - it can be comfortably ignored until an emergency happens. And, the Imperium is not Earth, where a nation's laws (mostly) stop a couple hundred miles from its coasts: Imperial law governs the space between stars in Imperial space. You cannot register a ship on Arden and then expect to claim exemption from Imperial law as you traffic between Rhylanor and Porozlo.

Let me preface this by saying my experience is in naval damage control which I would think is similar to what you’d be doing on a starship. The objective of it is not to fix damage but rather stop it from spreading and keep the ship from sinking, burning, or whatever.
I considered the halon system and the ability to control the environment adequate to smother fire. Shut off the O2 to a section and most fires will smother themselves if the system doesn't do it. I'm open to suggestions though. Thoughts?
For many small fires having a portable extinguisher handy is both a cheap and effective solution. Halon may not be the best choice as in higher concentrations it, like CO2, can’t sustain live. That can be a problem…
I also would think it depends on what kind of fire you have. An Alpha class (solid organic stuff that burns like wood or clothing), can smolder for hours and reflash on you. Simply putting it out isn’t enough. You have to break it up to get the embers.
Then you might have things aboard that in an atmosphere will spontaneously ignite. Or, you could have a plasma fire. Burning metals is another possibility.
Installed suppression systems are bulky and expensive. Sprinklers like a building here would have aren’t an option. You don’t have a water source.
So, I’d think that portable extinguishers would be a good option. You can put out a small fire and keep it from spreading. They don’t take up a lot of room and aren’t going to be expensive.
I'm more familiar with building structural requirements than with ship requirements. What am I using shoring and bracing materials for in space? What am I using a fan for that I can't address by kicking the existing ventilation system into high gear? Absorbent chemicals are a good idea, but what spills are we expecting that would require them as part of mandated safety equipment, as opposed to just having them with the cleaning supplies and engine room supplies? Power cabling I'd consider to be among spare parts kept in engineering; should I mandate a level of spare parts generically? Entry/demolition tools - would those not be among the metalworking or mechanical kits, or is there a need for something quicker than a cutting torch?
On a ship, including a starship, you have nowhere to run. Letting the fire burn itself out generally isn’t an option. It might spread.
The shoring equipment is to brace up a failing bulkhead or deck. Let’s say the bulkhead is damaged and might collapse / fail. Shoring braces it up to keep it from doing so.
You need ventilation equipment to move things like fumes (possibly poisonous or hazardous) and smoke out of a compartment in a fire. You don’t want to send that through a ventilation system that isn’t designed to handle or clean it (why would it be when this condition is rare and limited to emergencies?). So, you have equipment on board to do this. You also risk spreading a fire through the ventilation system. That would be shut down immediately in the affected area to prevent that.
Absorbent materials would be used to contain say a hydraulic leak, leaking pipe with whatever in it, etc. They would be useful in containing liquids that are leaking from a damaged pipe or fitting.
The power cables I’m talking about are large ones to restore power to say an electrical panel that has had its normal cable supply lines damaged. This can happen in a fire or battle damage. You might have bulkhead risers to allow connecting them without having to leave hatches open etc., too.
So, you might have a 200 or 400 amp panel somewhere other than engineering on a ship that you desperately need power to and the cabling to it is damaged or destroyed.
Demolition tools are two things: Access and assisting in containing damage. Let’s say you have a hatch that won’t open and you have to get into the space to rescue crew or fight damage. Having something that will pry that hatch open would be very handy. What if you have a big jagged hole in a bulkhead or pipe that needs patching but all those sharp protrusions are making it difficult or impossible? Being able to cut them away would help greatly.
We're extending now into the layout of the ship, which is a bit beyond what I was planning. It's not uncommon for emergency supplies to be in locked rooms when you have a concern about public access to them. Anything you want immediate access to is already on the walls in public areas, like those O2 masks, or maybe the proposed fire extinguishers. Anything needing to be closeted, the necessary parties - all crew, in this case - would have keys to; that's what they do in nursing homes and hospitals to prevent pilferage and to keep patients out of things that might be unsafe in the hands of the untrained. Or, in the far future you could have thumbprint locks or voice recognition or some such method.
It depends on the kind of ship you have. A merchant might have just one locker somewhere with just crew access. A warship might have several scattered through the ship. They would expect the crew not to mess with the stuff in them.
Personal survival equipment would be placed separately. Escape balls might be in each stateroom or in a nearby common area (like life vests would be). In spaces like engineering there might be face masks and an installed O2 system for breathing in the event of a casualty (Navy talk for damage / emergency).
You likely wouldn’t want them on some sort of powered lock. What if the power fails?
Having emergency lighting is a good idea too. It could be luminescent paint to battery powered lights, etc.

Weapons are secured in a weapons locker in the locked compartment - double security, and the only required weapons there are snub pistols, and there are separate weapons lockers on the bridge and in the engine room. Those were mandated for their ability to quell problems nonlethally, and for that purpose I believe it is helpful for the crew not on bridge or in engineering to have the ability to arm themselves if needed without having to access the bridge or engine room to do so. I wouldn't keep anything heavier than a snub pistol in there for the reasons you cite. Hijackers, or crew trying to mutiny if you're worried about that, would still be faced with armed crew in a locked bridge and engine room. They might threaten passengers, but they themselves are essentially imprisoned unless they can force access to a boat or vehicle, and those are usually behind doors just as strong as the ones protecting bridge and engine room and likely controlled from the bridge. No rule covers where the captain puts his weapons locker for any other weapons he might buy; if he's wise, he'll have it on the bridge or, if the ship is large enough to warrant security troops, in a guarded security armory.
On a large ship it would make sense just to have the security crew and their weapons together in a berthing compartment they work out of. Sensitive areas of the ship could have remote controlled weapons or a manned guard station at them.
On a small ship the Captain might want the weapons where he personally has control of them.
All of this is completely separate from damage control however.

That is however an excellent reason to keep the tools in engineering: wouldn't want someone using those to get through the iris ports. I believe I will edit it to reflect that.
It also makes sense in that you need them for repairs not damage control. Remember, damage control on a ship is to stop the emergency and control the fire, vacuum, flooding, whatever because if you don’t it’s a very long walk home in a space suit…
I don't see anything there that's going to impact the bottom line. It's stocked at the outset by the builder, might be replaced come annual maintenance time to deal with expiration dates, but it doesn't add up to a terrible lot and - other than expiration dates at annual maintenance - it can be comfortably ignored until an emergency happens. And, the Imperium is not Earth, where a nation's laws (mostly) stop a couple hundred miles from its coasts: Imperial law governs the space between stars in Imperial space. You cannot register a ship on Arden and then expect to claim exemption from Imperial law as you traffic between Rhylanor and Porozlo.

Just as on Earth today, many merchants / corporations will cut corners. I really don’t think the Imperium could eliminate the presence of sub-standard and poorly maintained starships. This would be particularly true on the fringes and in areas that are backwaters. Core systems might be able to keep such ships down in number but it would be hard with the smaller ones.

...For many small fires having a portable extinguisher handy is both a cheap and effective solution. Halon may not be the best choice as in higher concentrations it, like CO2, can’t sustain live. That can be a problem…
I also would think it depends on what kind of fire you have. An Alpha class (solid organic stuff that burns like wood or clothing), can smolder for hours and reflash on you. Simply putting it out isn’t enough. You have to break it up to get the embers.
Then you might have things aboard that in an atmosphere will spontaneously ignite. Or, you could have a plasma fire. Burning metals is another possibility.
Installed suppression systems are bulky and expensive. Sprinklers like a building here would have aren’t an option. You don’t have a water source.
So, I’d think that portable extinguishers would be a good option. You can put out a small fire and keep it from spreading. They don’t take up a lot of room and aren’t going to be expensive. ...

I think you are right. I still consider halon the most effective solution. However, I can't have it go off for every little thing; even if I could make the system that sensitive, it would ruin Crepes Suzette Night. We need fire extinguishers.

As to the rest: plasma and burning metals and things that spontaneously combust are an engine room issue, or maybe the gun turret - I hope. That really depends on how you see your ship working and what kind of failures you imagine, which is up to the gamemaster. I'm not really dealing with specifics of how the machinery works; whatever compartment-specific fire suppression is needed will be part of the design.

...The shoring equipment is to brace up a failing bulkhead or deck. Let’s say the bulkhead is damaged and might collapse / fail. Shoring braces it up to keep it from doing so. ...

First, I don't want to get into a point-by-point. You are obviously very knowledgeable about shipboard engineering matters, and you have a lot of good ideas. However, it wasn't my intention to catalog all supplies a ship might carry. I only included the tools because they're an identified purchasable game item and I didn't want any question as to whether they were available or not, but they do seem to have created a "fuzzy border" situation. My main focus was the kind of emergency supplies and equipment that might be kept to keep people alive when the ship failed, or that might address a medical or psychiatric emergency among the passengers. This and several other interesting ideas that followed I'd count as damage control and repair equipment.

Second - and this is more me quibbling than anything else - collapse presumes a directional force. We're in space. If your ship can't bear her drives anymore, her back is broken; shut off the drives and call for help, or limp in as best you can on maneuvering thrusters. That's not a standard combat damage and, were I inclined to inflict it by fiat, I would not be inclined to say it could be fixed with the resources aboard ship, not to the extent that you could then apply 1 or more G's to the result. The inertial dampers ought to prevent any load issues on internal components; if the inertial dampers have failed, again shut off the drives or resort to maneuvering thrusters while you repair them, or call for help, or crawl in as best you can. That's an excellent reason why warships should have their decks aligned perpendicular to the drives. And, if some internal component can't handle the passengers' floor field, turn off the field in the affected area. There may well be situations where you might, for example, want to shore up a damaged interior bulkhead with a compartment in vacuum on the other side; again I think of that as damage control and repair supplies.

It might be useful to make a list of those things a large engine room would keep in supply for such shipboard needs, because players can be quite clever once they know what resources are available to them. It might even be something mandated by regulation to ensure a ship in space could take care of its needs while far from assistance. I wouldn't mind exploring that further here, but I think we'd work that as a separate list.

On a separate note: what does everyone think about significantly increasing the quantity of Fast drug aboard ship? Survival Margin talks about players possibly surviving the Fall with quantities of Fast drug. I've always been a little leery of Fast drug, in that it seemed to eliminate the need for ELBs - although it's not without its problems, not the least of which is the need to keep breathable atmosphere around the subject. However, a mandated minimum amount of Fast drug aboard to survive a misjump into deep space - say 12 doses per person - might be a useful thing. The drug is relatively inexpensive.

During WW2 the German Africa Corps were very frequently down to ONE canteen of water a day, often in the form of coffee, or a lemon drink. This for several days at a time.

It should be noted that fully one third, at any given time, suffered from jaundice and dehydration.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should.

If Carlo is adding all that other, "maybe we'll need it one day" stuff, surely we can have a little more water.

In the Vietnam War Australian infantry attempts were made to try and condition troops to drink less water during their lead-up training. I remember one old Sgt Maj telling me they were only permitted to have a cap-full of water at a time.

In-country they then acquired more water bottles for their kit to take on patrols.

Mind you, front line ammo for the M60 was meant to be 500c of link. Another old soldier I knew took that out the first time, then after that contact ensured he had a couple of thousand rounds (more if they could stuff it into their packs) each time after that.

If there were regulated emergency stock level requirements for ships lockers, and these were mandated by law, then there'd possibly (chance? likely?) be supporting studies or justifications for the amounts of things like water. We might have a little trouble working out how much is required per person in a survival ball, but I'm sure Imperial Authorities have a quantity and could find the reference that says why that much.

...if you want YTU to have this of course...

Back