• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Shuttle Loss

Uncle Bob writes:
I used tolive in Nacogdoches.
What is ironic for me is that I've been through the area. Back in 2001, after I recovered from my cancer surgery, I wanted to go to the Kennedy space center to watch a shuttle flight. We could'nt do the logistics for that trip, so we went to the Johnson Space Center instead. On the way we stopped off at Barksdale AFB to see an airshow there. Then south to Houston, passing through Lufkin and Nacogdoches. Irony of Ironies.

Originally posted by plop101:
Uncle Bob writes:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I used tolive in Nacogdoches.
What is ironic for me is that I've been through the area. </font>[/QUOTE]More ironies. In Nacogdoches I studied orbital mechanics and ... thermodynamics.

The news last night reported that debris was showing up on e-bay already. They then went on to state that law enforcement had just announced that it isa federal violation to sell such items and that e-bay was co-operating and turning over the name(s) of anyone attempting to sell such items.

They prosecuted someone just a couple of years ago for trying to sell a piece of Challenger. He'd apparently worked on a USCG cutter and pocketed a bolt or something during the recovery operations. He got 2 years probabtion and a 10K fine.

Anyone who sells debris is going to get thrown to the wall. And a good thing, too.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of- wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never Lark, or even Eagle flew –
And while with silent lifting mind, I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

AOL is having a chat about the Columbia accident. Quite a few Bible-thumpers have turned out (as usual, there are many in every chat) and said that we shouldn't go "in the name of God" (yes, I am paraphrasing and biased), though my feeling is (1.) if there is any diety, it would want us to go into space and (2.)a. if it didn't, we'd know (every mission would have failed spectacularly) and b. have even greater reason to defy god and go.

In another post, vegascat advocated writing our Congresspeople and telling them to not kill the space program. Now I'm finding out my representatives and telling them that (I'd include an injunction to read more sci-fi, but that may not be appropriate).

This was prompted by something my sister-in-law said after the loss of Columbia and her crew. I posted it to my online journal, but I hope it may provide ammunition for some of y'all.

Before anybody gets on me for being anti-military, please believe me when I say I'm not. I do think that our spending is out of line with current threat assessments; we're spending too much and (in many cases) buying the wrong things. And for what it's worth, the Joint Chiefs seem to agree.

And yes, I realize I'm preaching to the choir, here...

Why explore space?

I get this question from time to time. Why go? Why spend the money for rockets to space when there are problems here on Earth?

You might as well ask why the British government financed Captain Cook's circumnavigation of the world, or why Queen Isabella financed Columbus, or why our ancestors bothered to leave their nice, dry caves in the first place.

Without exploration, without frontiers, the Human species will turn in on itself like rats in a cage. It's already begun. With the closing of frontiers, the twentieth century was the most violent in world history.

Without frontiers, the hope for a better life elsewhere will die. Even the United States, the frontier hope of immigrants from three continents seeking freedom and fortune for two hundred years, is closing its borders.

Fact is, we aren't spending nearly enough. According to the Office of Management and Budget, for fiscal 2003 the US spent $6.131 billion on Human spaceflight. It sounds like a lot, but against the (on-budget) Defense Department budget of $364.847 billion, it's practically a rounding error. Hell, the US Air Force spent $18.451 billion on research, three billion dollars more than NASA's entire budget.

The B-2 Spirit "stealth" bombers cost $1.157 billion each in 1998 dollars. The USAF has 21 of these planes.

The most recent Space Shuttle, Endeavour, (named after Captain Cook's ship) cost about $2.0 billion. A total of six Space Shuttles were constructed, of which one (Enterprise) was an atmospheric test vehicle now in the Smithsonian. Two (Challenger and Columbia) have been lost. Three (Atlantis, Discovery, Endeavour) remain. Three.

And the benefits to those on Earth are tremendous. Forget Tang, the space program is responsible for the development of microcomputers, MRI scanners, wireless communications, improved baby foods, shock-absorbing helmets, home security systems, smoke detectors, flat panel televisions, high-density batteries, trash compactors, radiation insulation, digital imaging, laser angioplasty, teflon, programmable pacemakers, ultrasound scanners, automatic insulin pump, portable x-ray device, invisible braces, dental arch wire, palate surgery technology, clean room apparel, Doppler radar, firefighters' radios, lead poison detectors, fire detectors, flame detectors, and literally hundreds of other technologies.

And then there's the whole "all our eggs in one baskets" thing.

"Is it worth it? Should we just pull back, forget the whole thing as a bad idea and take care of our own problems at home?"

"No. We have to stay here and there's a simple reason why. Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe and Lao-Tzu and Einstein and ... Buddy Holly and Aristophanes ... and all of this ... all of this was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars." (J. Michael Straczynski)
So I don't wanna hear it anymore. Any one who thinks that one planet is more important than the exploration (and dare I say it, settlement) of space is just not paying attention.

"The earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind will not stay in the cradle forever." (Konstantin Tsiolkvosky)

Originally posted by Nurd_boy:
Next on Fox (or anyone of the alphabet networks)...

**TERROR AT THE EDGE OF SPACE***
The space shuttle Columbia story

on the 'movie of the week'....

:mad:
I was being sarcastic...the way the news just goes on and on when they don't have a clue, then comes up with some way to exploit a disaster for ratings gets me too angry to think straight....

Next, will be the politicoes that will use this to put themselves in a better light....I saw congressmen and senators (of both parties) after WTC blatantly using the situation for political gain WHILE talking about 'by-partisanism' and 'united blah, blah, blah' and the networks (ofcourse) just lapped it up like thirsty dogs....just wait and see, its coming, first will be an appropriate PC mourning period (usually little more than lip service) then the jockiing for position to make the best use of the situation.

I'd give it a week or two, THEN it begins...watch what comes out of DC, the blame game, who blames whome....

yes, I'm cynical, but just watch over the coming weeks and tell me who the real ghouls are, the guy that is willing to make a quick buck, or the ones that will use misery as a tool ?

file_28.gif

Before we all start bitching and moaning about cuts and blaming one group or another, I think we should all research the full details on budgetting and the decisions made. You all might find that non-monetary issues lead to the tragedy. Then again it could just be "Accidents do happen and things break".

One story this morning (Tue. 2/4) suggested a weaker glue was used, and reason for the changed was suspected environmental issues.

I'm not talking about budgets, resourses and blame...I'm talking political oportunism. It will happen, it happened with WTC, the Gulf War, Challenger, caifornias fires and the CDF loss of those planes...anytime there is a disaster....just keep watching, if not out of DC, then hollywood, or the media.....

damn ghouls...

I’m sorry but ultimately the NASA's budget will be the major underlining factor in the accident, or the reason for the limited options for repair or inspection in space. Now that’s a bold statement, but if you examine the program, budget cuts, age of the vehicles, replacement programs cut, and, yes, safety programs: you will find that the budget will be a major factor in the accident. NASA, congress and the White House will never admit this because of politics and NASA will take on for the team, so to speak. Space is a hard sell to congress, because let’s face it most of their constituency are stupid. Sorry to be blunt, but science isn’t in most Americans vocabulary. Those who want to spend the money else ware are often dealing with the lowest common denominator of the American people and could care less about space.

In the last few years there have been plenty of reports about the aging fleet of shuttles. How many of the part needed to keep it flying were no longer in production, how systems that were never designed to be replaced had to be, adding to turn around time because complexity and the fact systems are buried behind replaceable components. After all, the shuttle was designed in the 1970’s using the standard technology of the day, while a more technological exotic design was scraped. Of course, that technological exotic design is commonplace now. Why didn’t NASA have an extra long boom extension or camera to inspect the titles and why doesn’t every shuttle have a docking ring? I will wait patiently for the final report and my support will not waiver, accident happen.

If there is a fallacy in my argument: It’s that even if NASA had a huge budget with backups, the Columbia accident may have still occurred. I would just like encourage everyone to keep the budgeting concerns in their mind, no mater how many sacrificial lambs NASA may offer up to the political altar of sensationalism. Most of us here are of a common ilk; we want to increases our knowledge of space and explore that frontier. I support NASA, but I understand the need consistent funding and fiscal matters can reduce options. In science and life, we can learn for our greatest triumphs and our most horrendous tragedies, but we must recognize them for what they are, in order to truly learn from them both.

Tryin' to think of somethin' to say. Just can't. Mad at the idiots who point to this as a reason to not go into space. Suddenly I'm reminded of a lyric in _Lola rennt's_ (Run Lola Run's) soundtrack...

Tryin' to think of somethin' to say. Just can't. Mad at the idiots who point to this as a reason to not go into space. Suddenly I'm reminded of a lyric in _Lola rennt's_ (Run Lola Run's) soundtrack...

I'll tell you all one thing...

if NASA called me and asked if I'd go on the NEXT shuttle (atlantis is next isn't it?) you know what my answer would be?...

HELL YES !!! in a heartbeat I'd go with out a second thought....

:cool:

if NASA called me and asked if I'd go on the NEXT shuttle (atlantis is next isn't it?) you know what my answer would be?...

I second the motion!

Me too. Even if I had to walk to Florida!

It is starting to look like a combination of bureaucratic inertia and political correctness may have killed Columbia. The external tank insolation NASA has used for nearly twenty years was expanded by freon. In the last couple of years NASA has developed a new, enviromentally friendly foam without freon.

That foam has been used in the last year or so, and it has been seen peeling away on several launches. In at least one recent flight tile damage was ascribed to the foam hitting the orbiter. Yet NASA didn't even consider going back to the older, less expensive foam.

The EPA had already given NASA a waiver to use freon where necessary.

I think I got most of this from www.NASAwatch.com.

UncleBob, I can see your point about inertia, but by political corectness do you mean the use of freonless foam?

Back