• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules Only: Silhouette Hack For Traveller (Using MT)

Kilgs

SOC-14 1K
Baron
Being a Silhouette hack of Traveller. This uses the MT Extended Character Generation as a springboard. I set it up for a Hard Times idea but you could easily use it for any version of Traveller. This combines the fun of Traveller character generation with Silhouette as a system. You will find that the characters made are a little underpowered for Silhouette unless you’re using Gritty rules. Which is okay because MT on the whole is kind of gritty. But with the Skill Improvement rules, I think the characters will come off in a better place eventually.

By Jove, I think I’ve done it! I’ve been working on a 2300ish game using Silhouette for awhile off and on. Recently, I picked up Hard Times/Rebellion materials again and remembered how much fun the character generation was in MT. So I decided to hack it for Silhouette and see how it went. There are a number of changes with Silhouette including adapted tables, 0-level skill rules, and the addition/removal of different skills. I cleaned up the MT list and added more skills. Since Silhouette allows for improvement I figured more skills is not as big of a deal. I also made the tables more specific to the career. I have kept Cascades and Clusters. So far, I’ve completed all of the Extended Character Gen packages and will be expanding on them (Privateer/Pirate, Law Enforcer etc).

The goal is to use Mongoose Ship/Trade rules simply because they’re the easiest. Silhouette for mechanics, personal combat and vehicle combat. I love the Silhouette combat and vehicle combat rules so they’re a big draw for me in using this. Not to mention, the VCS is one of the best I’ve come across but their spaceships differ dramatically from Traveller’s. It’s easier to just use Traveller for space stuff and it keeps the economy afloat.

But here is a look with some commentary…

Quick System Overview

The Silhouette system uses d6. A skill roll is a number of d6’s equal to the skill. Modifiers are applied. Attributes act as modifiers. The goal is to beat a Threshold/Target Number. You use the highest number rolled. The number you beat it by is your Margin of Success (MoS). If a character rolls multiple 6’s (natural), they can add +1 to their result for every extra 6.
Betsy rolls 2d6 for a 3,5. Her attribute is +1. Her total roll is (5+1)=6.

In a Traveller/Silhouette hack, Thresholds translate pretty easily… Routine becomes Routine, Difficult to Difficult etc.

Silhouette XP (Simple/Complex)(Post-Character Generation)

The main issue with Silhouette (unlike Traveller) was character improvement resulted in major ability jumps. As with Traveller, increasing a skill above 3 means you’re an expert/master. Silhouette had a Simple/Complex skill sorting… some skills were Simple and cost less to improve. The Complex skills were more expensive…

All skills are considered Complex for XP Improvement. In addition, they require 10hrs of practice/training per XP required. Instructors can reduce the XP and time but it’s expensive/time-consuming. (Full rules another time). Suffice to say, the cost to increase skills is:
0 to 1=2xp (20hrs)
1 to 2=8xp (80hrs)
2 to 3=18xp (180hrs)

XP would be generated at about 3xp per session.

Character Generation System

For this chargen process, I am using Traveller rolling conventions (2D and 1D) with DM’s modified.

Attributes

All of the attributes remain the same except for Psyche which I traded out for Social. Because Silhouette uses a -3 to +3 system, the increase of an attribute represents much more than in MT. The bonus translates directly. To keep the potential for attribute improvement through skill lists, we are using 20pts for Attributes.

Average is +0.

This is different than in regular Traveller where the attribute is a number that gives a bonus such as:
-Megatraveller divides the stat in 1/3 to get the bonus
-MGT uses a table that grants +1 at 9, +2 at 12 and so on.

With Trav/Silhouette hack , I just gauged them by looking at the end bonus v. Silhouette’s system. It’s close enough in my opinion. You could easily frontload some attributes through judicious rolling but Silhouette has rules for that as discussed below.

General Skill Levels

Silhouette has a professional average of Skill Level-2. Traveller has that at Skill Level-1. Due to the Traveller mechanics, many of these characters have -1’s or less in career skills. But they do have more skills than in Silhouette. Considering that you can improve your character during play it evens out. It’s a little different but works.

I did try adding additional skills (2x per roll etc) but it broke down with the year-to-year system. Characters ended up with a disproportionate amount of 3’s and 4’s. And Attributes got crazy high also. I have an alternative system for doing 4yr terms at a time but I haven’t tested it all… I prefer this one.

0-Level Skills

A 0-level skill allows a character to roll d6-2.

Attribute and Skill Limits/Bonus Points

Standard Silhouette does not allow a skill to be 2 higher than its controlling Attribute. So if you have a +0 in an Attribute, the attached skill cannot be higher than /2.

I also added an Attribute Cap. No Attribute can be raised higher than 2 more than its starting. So if you had Knowledge +1, you can raise it to +3 through character generation. I’m considering an exception to SOC.

Any excess points from exceeding caps rolls over into Bonus Points.

Brownie Points/Bonus Points

I have maintained these and they are important to navigating character generation. They are allowed to be used on any roll as a +/- modifier. A character that ends generation with excess BP can use them to purchase Perks/Flaws. Also, you can convert them to Emergency Dice. These are bonus d6 that can be added to a roll. They are one-time uses and important to the system. They are a big part of Silhouette game mechanics. In-game, they cost 1xp per d6 so you’re getting a good deal on those excess points.

Combat Sense/Defense

These skills are core to Silhouette’s system. For that reason, they have been added to most combat clusters. If a character is not in a combat profession then they receive a 0-level skill in Combat Sense the first time it is received.

Enemies, Rivals, Contacts and Allies

Each Term a character rolls a d6 (1-Enemy, 2-Rival, 3 to 5-Contact, 6-Ally).

Knowledges

I am also incorporating Knowledges for each term but haven’t finished the tables. These include things like Extremist Groups, Criminal Organizations, Fleet Info, Sector/Subsector/System knowledge, Route/Main knowledge etc. These are not included at the moment.

Herein I build the first of the crew from the Lady Lorn, a Free Trader operating in 1122.

JULIAN THE FREE TRADER

Attributes
With 20CP for Attributes, I decide to go in the middle of the road.

AGILITY: 0 (average), APPEARANCE: 0, BUILD: 0, CREATIVITY/INT: +1, FITNESS: 0
INFLUENCE: +1, KNOWLEDGE/EDU: +1, PERCEPTION: 0, SOC: 0, WILL: 0

Our fellow is above-average in intelligence, education and his persuasiveness. Perfect for a Merchant! We only used 19 of 20CP so the leftover point becomes our first Bonus Point.

We’ll call him Julian and get into Character Gen proper…

Homeworld and Background Skills
The homeworld can provide a skill. These are generally received at -1 although exceptions exist. Background skills are the result of Tech Level and start at 0-level.

In rolling up our Homeworld, we learn that he is from a High Population, Early Stellar planet. The skill for High Population is Streetwise-1. In addition, our Background Skills are Grav Vehicle and Computer. Since these are Background, they start at 0-level.

Self-Defense
Per MT, all characters have some form of basic defense.

We’ll take Defense-0 instead of a weapon skill. Just to ensure that we can attempt to avoid harm in our direction.

JULIAN AT 18 YEARS OF AGE

SKILLS
Streetwise-1, Computer-0, Defense-0, Grav Vehicle-0

BONUS POINTS (BP): 1

JULIAN’S FIRST TERM
For starters, we’re going to apply to the University. This is similar to MT in that you roll to enter, succeed and get Honors. This is a 2D roll modified by our Knowledge (KNO), Creativity (CRE), and SOC. I have added different benefits. For example, you only get +1 Knowledge if you achieve honors.

The total modifier of Julian’s KNO, CRE, and SOC is +2. We roll an (8+2)=10. We’ve been accepted into the University! We pick our Major, which will be Economics since we want to be a rich merchant someday. As such, we automatically gain Economics-0. To graduate, we need a CRE+KNO, 2D roll of 7+ to graduate. Double 6’s! Dang, could have used that for the Honors roll. We’ll check for Honors now…CRE+WILL, 2D roll of 12+. With a result of 7, we simply gain our Economics Degree. This provides us with…
Economics-2, Research-0.

At the University, he crossed the path of another economics major, Sirya Thrin. They competed relentlessly while dancing around a hot/cold relationship. In the end, they parted as Rivals. (Roll of 2).

We also gain a Bonus Point (BP) for graduating from college.

JULIAN AT 22 YEARS OF AGE
B.A. Economics

SKILLS
Economics-2, Streetwise-1, Computer-0, Defense-0, Grav Vehicle-0, Research-0

BP: 2
Sirya Thrin, University Rival

SECOND TERM
Entering a career is very similar to MT. To enter the Merchant career, we need to try the various lines (Megacorp, Subsector). The DM modifiers require different attributes as well. MT Merchant’s do not receive additional training. This resulted in a bit of an imbalance so I have boosted this to include one Department skill (at -0) and Vacc Suit-0.

Julian gets his papers in order and presents at Tukera (Megacorp). He has +2 modifier for a CRE of +1. With a 10(+2), he is accepted into the Tukera Lines training academy. He is accepted as an Enlisted despite his college degree.

Term Two-Year One (2.1)- He is assigned to the Purser Department and receives (Department Skill Roll of 2) First Aid-0 and Vacc Suit-0.

Term Two-Year Two(2.2)-He sets out on his first voyage. He rolls a 7 and gains a Route assignment. This assignment has automatic survival, 6+ chance for a skill, no Bonus. In addition, he can test into the Purser Officer department. First, we roll an 8 and gain a skill. Consulting the tables, Julian decides to focus on his career and rolls on the Purser Table. He rolls Service. This is a Cluster skill that allows him a choice between (Interview, First Aid, Persuasion, Steward). So he takes Steward-1. Then we roll to test into the officer position…and fail.

Term Two-Year Three(2.3)-He is assigned to another Route. Again no bonus and automatic survival. He rolls an 8 and can get another skill. A little more comfortable, he spent some time mucking about on the ship and mixing with the others. Choosing Shipboard Life, he receives Hand Combat (cluster). An excellent skill… it allows a choice between a myriad of hand-to-hand skills. This includes Combat Sense and Defense! Julian apparently got into a few fistfights with the rest of the crew and takes Unarmed Combat-1. He also attempts to test into Officer again…and succeeds. He gains Rank O0 (Steward) and gains access to a few new skill tables. Since he tested into it from being Enlisted, he gets a bonus skill. He decides to roll on the new Officer table…gaining Gun Combat (cluster). He decides to take Pistol-1 as appropriate to an officer.

Term Two-Year Four (2.4)-He gains another Route assignment. This time, he needs to roll to see if he is serving in his appropriate rank/position. Rolling on the Position Availability… he needs a 7+, getting a bonus for his CRE. Unfortunately, he receives a 3(+1)=4 and has to serve as an Enlisted crewmember. He manages to achieve another skill roll and decides to go with the Merchant Life since it has some attribute bonuses. He gains Carousing for spending too much time drinking away his sorrows at being employed below his rank. Not being in a proper position, he cannot test for a higher rank.

He makes the acquaintance of a drive engineer on his second route, Bob Bobbin.

Julian rolls for re-enlistment which requires a 4+ and gets an easy 10.
He also receives +1 Bonus Point for a completed term.

JULIAN AT 26 YEARS OLD (2 terms)
Steward (O0)-Tukera Merchant Line (4yr), B.A. Economics

SKILLS
Economics-2, Carousing-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Computer-0, Defense-0, First Aid-0, Grav Vehicle-0, Research-0, Vacc Suit-0
COMBAT SKILLS:
Pistol-1, Unarmed Combat-1, Defense-0
BP: 3
Sirya Thrin, University-Rival
Bob Bobbins, Drive Engineer (Tukera Lines)-Contact

THIRD TERM
Term 3.1
Happily re-enlisted, Julian gets a position on another Route listing. This time he rolls an 11 and is serving in his proper position. He easily rolls to receive another skill and chooses Purser Table. With a 4, he gets Space Gunnery (cascade). Many Stewards serve as secondary gunners due to low crew expenses. As a cascade, he chooses Space Gunnery (Turrets/1) which allows him to shoot energy or ballistic turret weapons at -1. In addition, he can use Missiles, Bay, Spine and Defensive weaponry at -0 because it is a cascade. As he is on a Route, he can test into the next rank which requires Steward-1. He has the skill and needs a 5+. He rolls a 4 and decides to use a Bonus Point to increase it to 5. He gains the next rank which is Junior Purser (O1).

Term 3.2
He rolls another Route and, with a 7, is serving as an O1 for the first time. So exciting that he wrote his mother. He scored another skill and decides to roll on the Shipboard Life to pick up those skills needed to maintain a ship. He’s already thinking about breaking free from the megacorp with his own ship! He rolls a 2, which is Hand Combat again, but decides to spend another Bonus Point to raise it the roll to 3 (idiot). With a 3, he gets Vacc Suit-1.

Term 3.3
Another Route assignment… these are starting to bore him. He is serving in his position but lacks Steward-2 which is required for the next rank. As such, he gains a skill and takes Officer Table to alleviate his growing boredom with a steward’s life. With a 4, he gains Gun Combat and decides to learn to handle himself in a firefight, gaining Defense-1.

Term 3.4
Another Route assignment and he’s so bored that he misses the roll call for positions. Since he can’t test anyways, he doesn’t worry too much about it. He gets another skill roll and decides to try Merchant Life… Gambling. Apparently, his attitude is expressing itself in poor behavior.

He rolls to re-enlist…and easily is accepted back although he’s not too sure about this big liner thing anymore. Even so, he makes the acquaintance of an older officer and is convinced to stay in it for the experience that he will need as an independent.

He also gains +1 BP for a finished term. He spent 2 of his 3, so this helps!

JULIAN AT 30 YEARS OLD (3 terms)
Junior Purser (O1)-Tukera Merchant Line (8yr), B.A. Economics

SKILLS
Economics-2, Carousing-1, Gambling-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Vacc Suit-1, Computer-0, Defense-0, First Aid-0, Grav Vehicle-0, Research-0

COMBAT SKILLS:
Defense-1, Pistol-1, Space Gunnery (Turrets/1), Unarmed Combat-1
Purser Officer, Tukera Lines-Contact

FOURTH TERM
Term 4.1
Re-enlisted, he decides to start focusing on making his move to freelance work. He rolls a 10, for Speculative Trade, which would give him the opportunity for a bonus. But the chance in a Megacorp line is minute so he decides to go all-out. Spending two BP’s, he raises the roll to a 12 and gets Special Duty/Training. He is accepted into… rolls Engineering but spends a BP to change it to Helm School. After a year of Helm School, he gets to roll 5+ for Computer, Communications, Space Gunnery and Sensor Ops. Unfortunately, he only picks up qualifications in Communications-1. But he is transferred to the Deck Department which is where he wants to be.

Term 4.2
Appearing for duty in the Deck department, he is informed that his lackluster performance at Helm School has resulted in Tukera signing over his remaining term contract to a Sector Line Corporation. It is disappointing but Julian is sick of Tukera at this point anyways. A fresh start! He ends up on a Route again, in the Deck Department but a rank below while the Sector Line feels out his capabilities. Due to the scrutiny, he fails to learn anything worthwhile.

Term 4.3
This year, he buckles down but still didn’t impress enough to gain his O1 slot in the Deck Department. Still scrambling to get his feel for the new company, he doesn’t pick up anything useful here.

Term 4.4
Another Route, but this time in his proper position. He rolls to gain a Deck rating also (keeping his O1 rank regardless) and makes it on with an Apprentice-Deck rating. He rolls a 6, needing a 7 for a skill. He decides to spend a BP since he will gain one next year to get a Deck Skill roll! He gets Determination (Cluster)… this gives him a chance for Leadership, Instruction, or (more coveted) a Perception +1 or Willpower +1. While Leadership would be helpful, he goes with Willpower to have the grit to make it on his own!

He makes the acquaintance of an enlisted engineer apprentice and promises to stay in touch. Contact.

He easily re-enlists with an 11. Deciding to go one more term in a large line in the hope of a better severance package.
He gains +1 Bonus Point for completing a term.

AGING
Aging has been changed to follow Mongoose with rolls starting at 38 so he does not need to roll at this time.

JULIAN AT 34 YEARS OLD (4 terms)
Junior Purser (O1)/Deck Apprentice (O0, acting O1)-Old Expanses Sector Line (3yr) and Tukera Merchant Line (9yr); Helm School, B.A. Economics
INFLUENCE: +1, KNOWLEDGE/EDU: +1, PERCEPTION: 0, SOC: 0, WILL: +1

SKILLS
Economics-2, Carousing-1, Communications-1, Gambling-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Vacc Suit-1, Computer-0, Defense-0, First Aid-0, Grav Vehicle-0, Research-0

COMBAT SKILLS:
BP: 1
Apprentice Engineer, Sector Line-Contact

FIFTH TERM
With his eyes set on making his piece and going Free Trader, he hunkers down and starts applying himself with the end of corporate servitude nearing the end!

Term 5.1
He gains a Route assignment and manages to squeak a 9(needing 9+) for a Deck assignment. He gains a skill and rolls on Deck. He gets Astrogation-1. Which, coincidentally, he needs for his O1 rating. His wage/rank is already O1 but his Deck Rating is only O0. So he needs Astrogation-1 and a roll of 6+… he gets it easily. He is now rated O1 in Purser and Deck.

Term 5.2
Another Route assignment, he is forced to take a lower ranked posting this time. But with less responsibility, he rolls a skill and gets Economic (Cluster). This gives him a choice of Admin, Broker, Economics, Legal, or Trader. He takes Broker-1 as he has spent the year learning about speculative trade and the art of the hard deal.

Term 5.3
Another Route posting but he is given an O1 position! He does not have Admin-1, a requirement of O2 at the beginning of the year. He applies himself and gains a skill… Economic (cluster) again. This time he goes with Trader and learns to anticipate the market in speculative goods.

Term 5.4
Another Route posting and he gains an O1 slot. After almost a year, he achieves full competence with Jump plotting with Astrogation again. At the end of the year, he resigns his commission at a starport and goes seeking a position on a Free Trader to learn the ropes of being an independent. He reserves cashing in his severance at this time…

A growing rivalry with the ship’s Captain was no small part of his decision. He gains a Rival.

He gains +1 Bonus Point for a finished term.

Julian scours the listings for an independent berth while he haunts the starport bars. After getting into a bar fight, he realizes he’s not as spry as he used to be. For Aging, now that he’s 38, he rolls 2d6-(# of terms) for a total of 0. This means one of his physical attributes drops by one (Appearance, Agility, Fitness, Build). Lean times have resulted in his Build being reduced since he’s no longer on the fine diet of a corporate liner.

It’s unclear if you can willingly transfer down but I’m going to allow it for Julian here. For sake of making a fun guy, I’m going to let him drop down to a Free Trader. It would make sense to Muster Out due to dropping the corporate employment but I’ll ignore that for now since he’s staying in the career sort-of.

JULIAN AT 38 YEARS OLD (5 terms)
4th Officer (O1)/Junior Purser (O1) Old Expanses Sector Line (7yr) and Tukera Merchant Line (9yr); Helm School, B.A. Economics
AGILITY: 0 (average), APPEARANCE: 0, BUILD: -1, CREATIVITY/INT: +1, FITNESS: 0
INFLUENCE: +1, KNOWLEDGE/EDU: +1, PERCEPTION: 0, SOC: 0, WILL: +1

SKILLS
Astrogation-2, Economics-2, Broker-1, Carousing-1, Communications-1, Gambling-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Trader-1, Vacc Suit-1, Computer-0, Defense-0, First Aid-0, Grav Vehicle-0, Research-0

COMBAT SKILLS:
Merchant Captain, Sector Line-Rival

SIXTH TERM

Julian manages to sign on with the crew of the “Radical Kite,” a Free Trader under Captain/Owner Bartholomew Jurin. Pickings are slim so he is forced to serve as an Enlisted crewmember which suits him fine. Out from under the corporate line, he feels like a new man again and is eager to learn the independent life. He becomes a Free Trader O1 (4th Officer) subject to position availability.

Term 6.1
The Radical Kite is still contracted for a regular route and so Julian dives into his new duties on the Type A Free Trader. In a Free Trader, things are more precarious so he has to roll Survival… and beats a 3+ easily. He rolls a 6 for a new skill, needing a 7. He decides to spend a BP to get one since he’s learning so much on a smaller ship. A smaller and older ship! Julian learns the ropes of keeping an older model flying and picks up… Space Tech (cluster). He has the choice of Comms, Computer, Engineering (cascade), Gravitics or Vacc. He decides to spend quality time with the innards of the ship and its systems… taking Engineering (Power-1). As a cascade skill, he can now use 0-level for Engineering (Life Support, M-drive, and J-drive). Enough to keep the lights on, he figures!

As a Free Trader, he has a better chance of getting a bonus and rolls… a 12! He uses some personal cash to invest in some goods along the way and manages a bonus! He gets 5,000cr from his side trading.

BONUSES--I haven’t expanded on this yet so will just use the MT rules… half of 1 roll on the Mustering Out Cash table in credits. I would like to make this a bonus skill also… nothing complete at this time.

Term 6.2
He continues to serve as an enlisted crewmember and gets his hands dirty (no position). He survives the year with no mishaps. The Radical Kite holds onto their Route contract for another year. His hard work pays off and he gains another skill… He rolls Legal but spends a BP to add to the roll. This gets him Pilot (cascade). Trusted now by the Captain, he is slowly taught to fly Bartholomew’s baby and gains Pilot (Cascade). He takes Pilot (Spacecraft-1). He also gets Pilot (Small Craft, Fighter Pilot) at -0.

Term 6.3
This year, he was forced to bid adieu to the Radical Kite and Captain Jurin. He goes looking for an independent operation heading towards Daibei… He rolls an 8 for No Business as his assignment. Unfortunately, the economy is stressed from the war (it’s 1120) and he ends up spending the year working at odd jobs in a starport. He gains skill in Free Trader Life, apparently working in an orbital salvage yard. He receives Orbital (cluster) which gives him the choice of Agility +1, Acrobatics, Zero G or Vacc Suit. He decides to increase his Agility even though Zero G would be helpful.

Term 6.4
Another year in the salvage yard (No Business). Apparently things are getting worse since he only makes his Survival (3+) with a BP! He picks up a skill in Vice (Cluster). This gives him either Carouse, Deception, Gambling or Streetwise. He decides to go with Deception since he lurks about the yards looking for a good ship deal…

His time aboard the Radical Kite earned him the rivalry of one of the crewmembers, Toran. Julian’s trading success and rapport with the captain was a threat. Julian thinks that Toran may have been involved in dry-beaching him. (Rival)

At the age of 42, he rolls an 8 (-6, terms) and has no Aging effects.
He gains an additional BP.

I am also changing the Mustering Out tables to have more options (like Mongoose) and the possibility of skills. Some preliminary changes have been made but I’m using the MT tables for this writeup (with a few changes). My plan is to allow Ship Shares and some skills available through these tables. Still thinking about them right now.

In addition, BP leftover would be allowed to purchase Perks/Flaws from Silhouette such as Light Sleeper etc. I won’t get into those right now but it would also provide some extra BP and such for a character. I’ll showcase that in another crewmember…

MUSTERING OUT
Julian served 5 terms in the Merchants and gained Rank 1 at the highest. So he receives 6 rolls, with a +1 for retiring or Gambling-1 on the Cash Table. He rolls two dice on the material benefits… he rolls a 3, which gives him KNO +1. He also rolls a 6, which he spends a BP on to get him to 7 and a Free Trader: the Lady Lorn! Yay! Of course, he needed help which we’ll get to later… He rolls twice on the cash table (+1 to each) getting only 15,000cr total. He decides to roll on the cash table again to start his business…and gets an additional 20,000cr. This adds to the 5K from his bonus.

All that time looking for a good ship deal and it finally falls into his lap! (Thanks to some fudging…)

CAPTAIN JULIAN “M.T.”, Captain/Owner of the Lady Lorn Free Trader (6 terms)(as of 1122)
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATES
4th Officer-Deck (O1), Junior Purser (O1), Tukera Helm School certificate, B.A. Economics

AGILITY: +1 (above average), APPEARANCE: 0, BUILD: -1, CREATIVITY/INT: +1, FITNESS: 0
INFLUENCE: +1, KNOWLEDGE/EDU: +2, PERCEPTION: 0, SOC: 0, WILL: +1

SKILLS
Astrogation-2, Economics-2, Broker-1, Carousing-1, Communications-1, Deception-1, Engineering (Power-1) , Gambling-1, Pilot (Spacecraft-1), Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Trader-1, Vacc Suit-1, Computer-0, Defense-0, First Aid-0, Grav Vehicle-0, Research-0

COMBAT SKILLS:
Defense-1, Pistol-1, Space Gunnery (Turrets/1) , Unarmed Combat-1

OWNS
Lady Lorn Free Trader, 40,000cr

BP/ED: 0
ASSOCIATES
Merchant Captain, Sector Line-Rival
Toran, Free Trader Pilot-Rival

Any BP’s would convert to Emergency Dice or additional skill rolls but he spent them all.

So, if you’re familiar with MT, then that listing of skills and such didn’t surprise you much. It’s pretty much the same with a few bonus skills here and there. But for those of you who are wondering about the Silhouette side, by estimating skill costs (Simple v. Complex) and such, we can see that it would cost the following to build Julian…

ATTRIBUTES: 29CP (due to losing Build from Aging)
SKILLS: 37
In addition, the ship itself is worth 7pts…

Which puts us right in line for Adventure level character. Most of them come out lower but that’s okay because Traveller is a bit more gritty.

Interesting stuff. I'm still getting a grasp of your integration of Silhouette stats and MT career table rolls. Can you post an example of a formatted table with the combination of the stats that provide bonuses for the Merchant career. (I guess I'm more of a visual learner.)

I've been a fan of the Silhouette system for 15 years, running some Heavy Gear and Tribe 8 (10 years ago), and having a fondness for Jovian Chronicles over that time. There are times that I reread HG2e or JC1e and contemplate using the system with a CT generated subsector. Or using it for a homebrewed knockoff of Stargate.

It's all in Excel and rough at the moment. PM your email and I can send it... not very good at formatting on this site.

I have posted the rough drafts under House Rules in the File Library. I will keep them updated as I move through the various careers. Warning... documents are very rough draft.

FYI--Draft Character Generation documents now uploaded in the File Library/House Rules.

THE CREW TAKES SHAPE

Now with a trader ship, Captain Julian sets his eyes on a crew. While he recognizes his own skills as being adequate for back-ups in most areas and he could likely take the lead on the Navigator’s chair, it was essential that he get more crew. The Lady Lorn had four full crew staterooms, each capable of taking bunk beds or singles. At the moment, he ticked off what he needed to pass regulatory muster… A certified Pilot, Engineer, a Steward for the ten rooms in the lower decks set out for passengers. He was hoping to handle the trade aspect himself and learn the business. A Gunner for the single turret that he currently had installed and some general hands.

With all that in mind, he had hoped on the feelers he sent out to all of his contacts by X-message and hoped that, in spite of the chaos, they would hear and have some recommendations for him. Having sent them out weeks ago when he discovered the Lady Lorn, he still had not heard back from anyone. In the meantime, he scoured the lists maintained by the local starport for potential hires. Which is how he found himself sitting across the table from this scruffy young man who was sucking down beers as if he were dying of thirst. Several days of stubble and a crooked grin, this fellow was the last of several interviews that had taken place over the past week. Julian had been relying on their papers and getting a feel for them over drinks.

And so he learned all about the pilot who referred to himself as “Spiff the Spaceman.”

NOTE: I keep messing up and referring to Creativity (CRE) and Intelligence interchangeably since they are in this hack. Same as Education and Knowledge. And I changed color text to non-italics and mechanic text to all italics.

THE PILOT
Spiphiran “Spiff” Kisgaru

Spiff hailed from Lerun/Diaspora 1216, a backwater waterworld. With only an Early Stellar tech base, the planet had laborers aplenty but for Spiff, it also had a Scout base. He had not been 18 for more than three hours before he was applying for the Imperial Scout Service. Coming from a waterworld, he had a good familiarity with watercraft and the local groundcraft. He was also educated using common Imperial digital methods and was familiar with basic computer operations. He was slightly annoying due to his exuberance and tendency to express his dissatisfaction with things around him readily. His familiarity with a blade came from dockfront escapades.

His Homeworld skills are gained at -1 and consist only of Maritime Ops. This is a Cascade skill (Surface, Submersible) so he goes with Surface. He still has some familiarity with Submersible operations such as deep-sea diving and personal subs. He gains Ground Vehicles which comprises wheeled and tracked vehicles at -0 since it is a Background skill (tech base). Same with Computer-0. He’s lower class but the Scouts don’t care… He also starts with 2 BP since he only spent 18 on his attributes.

I am dissatisfied with Tracked/Wheeled vehicle differences. But I also don’t want far too many skills so instead of a Cascade I just switched it to a single skill. That should accomplish the same thing especially given that most ground travel is by grav in the 3I. ACV’s are likely included in that also for the same reason.

SPIFF AT AGE 18
AGILITY: 1, APPEARANCE: 0, BUILD: 0, CREATIVITY/INT: +1, FITNESS: 0
INFLUENCE: -1, KNOWLEDGE/EDU: 0, PERCEPTION: +1, SOC: -1, WILL: 0
SKILLS:
Maritime Ops (Surface-1), Computer-0, Ground Vehicle-0,
COMBAT SKILLS:
Blade-0

FIRST TERM
Spiff application sailed through and he found himself on an X-boat bunk headed for the next base over since the Scouts disapproved of folks training near home. Dumped into a far-away base, he was quickly hammered on the basics and necessities of being an IS-1 (Recruit) in the field office. He was the first to raise his hand to try dumb-flying a shuttle and the first to be lectured on proper collision avoidance regulations… it was love. By the end of the fourth year, Spiff had focused his love of flying into true skill and honed his instincts for trouble. He was still considering annoying by most of the old scouts but his skill was speaking for him.

Enlistment rolls for the Scouts, without a degree or Honors, is a 7+. He receives a +1 modifier for having a CRE of +1. He makes it with an easy 10+1. He is quickly assessed and rolls an 8 for Communications in the Field Office.

Term 1.1—
His initial training consists, as it does for all Field recruits, as the Pilot cascade. He takes Pilot (Spacecraft-1) and gains the others in the cascade (Small Craft, Fighter, Capital) at -0. He also gains Vacc Suit-0.

Term 1.2—
He has a Routine year in the Communications division. Spiff needs to roll 4+ for survival and 7+ for skill. He survives but gains no skills.

Term 1.3—
Another Routine year in Communications. He survives no problem but rolls a 6 for skills… Deciding he wants a skill, he burns a BP. He rolls under Communication and gains Pilot as a cascade. He takes Spacecraft again and is fully qualified by his first term!

Term 1.4—
He rolls a Mission. Now he needs a 5+ for survival and 7+ still for a skill. He rolls a 12 for survival and 9 for skills. Looking over the lists, he decides on Scout Life since it’s so varied…He receives Gun Combat (cluster). From that cluster, he goes with Defense-1 for some basic protection in scraps that he knows the Scouts are renowned for.

He gains 1 BP for finishing a term and reenlistment is easy at 3+.

SPIFF AT AGE 22 (1 term)
INFLUENCE: -1, KNOWLEDGE/EDU: 0, PERCEPTION: +1, SOC: -1, WILL: 0
SKILLS:
Maritime Ops (Surface-1), Pilot (Spacecraft-2), Computer-0, Ground Vehicle-0, Vacc Suit-0
COMBAT SKILLS:
Defense-1, Blade-0

SECOND TERM
Determined to get off the routine of the Xboat and communication routes, Spiff greases some palms in the time-honored way and gets reassigned to Survey. Where ends up in a routine Survey vessel for the next year. With his customary complaining, he finds himself stranded at a “temporary slot” at a remote Scout waystation. Left to his own devices, Spiff ends up taking and passing most of the basic training materials for the Survey branch. Little does he know that his test scores are automatically sent to Central and he receives dispatch orders for a sensitive mission which takes most of the next year. Having absorbed the basics of the Survey Office, he finds that his work is far smoother and more fulfilling. Upon his return, he is seconded to a navigation team on the bridge of a scout tender and learns the finer points of jump astrogation.

Spiff tries to change Assignments which any Scout can do at the beginning of a new term. He rolls a 6, putting him in Communications. Right below, at 5, is Survey which is more interesting and he spends a BP to reduce his roll. He does not get initial training again.

Term 2.1—
He receives Routine on the yearly duty table. This requires a 3+ survival or 7+ skill. He qualifies for no modifiers. He survives but gains no skills.

Term 2.2—
Gets stuck at Base. Easy survival roll again but needs an 8+ for skills… and gets it. He goes with the Survey table and gains Survey as a skill. This would be the surveying of systems and planets for cataloguing and exploration.

Term 2.3—
During the mission, he survives and gains a skill. He decides to broaden his skill base and rolls under the general Field Office table. He gains KNO (Knowledge) +1. A solid representation of his learning.

Term 2.4—
Spiff receives Training which means he has been sent to one of the Scout Schools. He receives Field Training in Astrogation.

He receives a BP for finishing a term. In addition, he easily makes reenlistment.

SPIFF AT AGE 26 (Scouts-2 term)
INFLUENCE: -1, KNOWLEDGE/EDU: +1, PERCEPTION: +1, SOC: -1, WILL: 0
SKILLS:
Astrogation-1, Maritime Ops (Surface-1), Pilot (Spacecraft-2), Survey-1, Computer-0, Ground Vehicle-0, Vacc Suit-0
COMBAT SKILLS:
Defense-1, Blade-0

THIRD TERM
Spiff’s third term with the Scouts was a whirlwind. He was taken right out of field training into a secret-special mission. After several hair-raising experiences, he learned to shoot back! Continuing his deployment with the military forces, he spends some quality time learning to operate gunnery turrets. A helpful skill when you’re the back-up pilot on a naval vessel! His growing competence results in two more missions both of which are successful. Though he learns a lot about helming a spacecraft, he is wounded in an deep-space ambush in the last one as he didn’t recognize the signals from sensors. He spent his convalescence mastering basic ship sensors.

Over the past six years since the Emperor was assassinated, the Scout service had become too political. With his attitude souring against the Emperor and his assigned base professing for Antares, he handed in his papers and became a civilian.

Term 3.1—
Receives a Special Mission! He gains an automatic BP for that. His survival roll is 5+ which he makes and he makes the skill roll (6+). He gains access to the Special Mission Skill table but does not like the choices. He goes with Scout Life and gains a weapon skill. This is singular and not as a cascade or cluster. So he chooses… Pistol-1. He can use snub rounds with it which is safer in space.

Term 3.2—
He receives Specialist training in Space Gunnery (Turrets-1) as a cascade. He decides that more BP are needed in order to get some Perks so Spiff develops Heavy Sleeper (Flaw)(-1) which grants him an additional BP.

Term 3.3—
He survives the Mission and gains a skill. He goes with the Survey table since he’s lacking some major space skills. He gets Space Ops which is the perfect Cluster… okay, so he burned a BP to get it. He can choose from Comms, Astrogation, Pilot, Sensor Ops, Vacc Suit and Zero G. While Vacc Suit would be smarter, he goes with Sensor Ops-1 to properly helm a vessel.

Term 3.4—
Another mission…he is wounded (4 on a 4+) but remains in the Scouts long enough to spend a BP and gain a skill. He gets Space Ops again and this time takes Vacc Suit-1.

He receives 1BP and decides not to reenlist. He ends with 4BP which he uses to spend 3 of them on gaining 3D Sense of Direction as a Perk.

MUSTERING OUT
He gets three rolls… first one is cash (50,000) and the next two are a Low Passage and +1 CRE.

Spiphiran “Spiff” Kisgaru, Pilot-Lady Lorn
Ex-Scout (Survey-8y, Comms-4y)
AGILITY: 1, APPEARANCE: 0, BUILD: 0, CREATIVITY/INT: +2, FITNESS: 0
INFLUENCE: -1, KNOWLEDGE/EDU: +1, PERCEPTION: +1, SOC: -1, WILL: 0
SKILLS:
Pilot (Spacecraft-2), Astrogation-1, Maritime Ops (Surface-1), Sensor Ops-1, Space Gunnery (Turrets-1), Survey-1, Vacc Suit-1, Computer-0, Ground Vehicle-0
COMBAT SKILLS:
Defense-1, Pistol-1, Blade-0
TRAITS: 3D Sense of Direction (Perk)
EMERGENCY DICE: 2
POSSESSIONS
50,000cr, Low Passage ticket

Back