• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Site shorthand

JAFARR

SOC-14 1K
How about a glossery of site shorthand for those of us who may not have all the canon materials refered to by this shorthand. I just found this site about Christmas and while I have been playing (and playing with) Traveller in several versions since about mid 1978, I sure don't reconigize all of the references. I have figured out several of the most comon like CT for Clasic Traveller and LBBx for Little Black Book # 1-8 (or the earliest rule sets). I also discovered a reference a set of rules that I never saw called F.F.& S. (Fire,Fusion & Steel if I remember correctly). A listing of the most common would be helpful to those of us who are relativly new to this site or who have found out about Traveller in it's many forms by discovering this site.

Here is my starter list:

CT - Classic Traveller: the origional version of the game.
LBB's - Little Black Book(s)# 1 - 8: the first rule books were # 1 - 3; so called because they were the size of a standard sheet of typing paper folded in half from top to bottom, and had a black cover. Each had 48 of these 1/2 sheet sized pages
#0: An Introduction to Traveller (added later)
#1: Charecters & Combat (origional 3 book set)
#2: Starships (origional 3 book set)
#3: Worlds and Adventures (origional 3 book set)
#4: Mercenary (expanded character generation for Army and Marine and upgraded combat rules)
#5: High Guard [also called HG] (expanded character generation for Navy characters and upgraded starship design rules
#6: Scouts (expanded character generation for scouts and upgraded world and star system generation rules)
#7: Merchant Prince (expanded character generation for Merchants and trade rules)
#8: Robots (robot design rules)

Then there are additional rules sets and or referee aids in the same size books, but with other colors
AM #1 - 8: Alien Modules details about different alien races (note 3 of these races are 100% human so these modules focused on the cultural differences between the cultures)
S #1 - 13: Supplements (2 Libary Data, 2 Sector data, 4 different types of pre-generated chacerters, 3 different ship related data, and 1 each animals and paperwork layouts
A #0 - 13 & D #1 - 8: Adventure /Double Adventure outlines
J #1 -24, BJ #1 - 4, C #25 - 34: a series of mimi-magazines of the same 1/2 page sized booklets. Started out as Journal, Best of Journal, and changed to Challenge
MT - Magatraveller: first major overhaul of the entire rule sets also a transformation to rule books with full sized pages Sets the stage for the breakup of the Imperium
MTIE - Imperial Encyclopedia (MT): Background info and libary data on the CT & MT universe Also details on equipment, combat, starhips, spacecraft, vehicles, and their operations. System data for the Spinward Marches
MTRC - Referee's Companion (MT): Combat, in system operations, technology data and how to make use of it, Alien races, and sector, subsector,and world mapping
MTSOM Vol 1 - Starship Operator's Manual (MT): just what the name says
MTFS - Fighting Ships (MT): details on military ships and how the Imperial Navy uses them
MTPM & MTRM - Player's Manual & Referee's Manual (MT): PM charecter generation and more combat/encounter/enteraction rules, RM background information for the rebellion, System generation, ship & vehicle design and ship combat rules

TNE - The New Era: Introduces Virus and the aftermath of the rebellion rules simplified from MT.
T4,T20,GT - later versions of Traveller with which I don't have much data to work from.

Please add those I have missed or correct my errors

Originally posted by Elliot:
By the way what does 'lol' mean?
You're pulling my leg right? Or not, it could happen, there's lots I don't know, so to answer the question it's shorthand for Laugh(ing) Out Loud, usually figuratively rather than literally. Then there's roflol (rolling on floor lol) and roflmao (rolling on floor laughing my ass off). And of course a whole ton more. Enjoy your expanded netcabulary :D

Well if you are a duplicate bridge player lol means "little old lady" - the kind who doesn't really get serious about competition, but still goes to the games and jinks the better players by nonchalantly making the one bid that ruins any chance of getting a good or even average result on that hand. Also called "getting fixed" on that hand. (In duplicate, everyone plays identical hands and gets scored on how well you played compared to the results everyone else achieved who was playing the same direction. The north - south pair who gets the highest score on a particular hand (also called a board)gets the top score.) Seeing duplicate bridge has been around a lot longer than the internet, I guess their definition of lol has to be considered as legit also.

MTRSB = MT Rebellion Sourcebook
COACC = MT Close Orbit and Aerospace Combat Command
SSOM = MTSOM
FF&S = TNE's FF&S
FF&S1 = TNE's FF&S
FF&S2 = T4's FF&S

Andy: Bridge shorthand doesn't need be considered legit on the net outside of bridge boards...

which statement makes me think of Granny Stellar at the helm of her 996 Surplused Type S in 1107ish... which she bought in 1050.

MTFS - This suppliment (Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium) is also frequently jokingly referred to as "Shattered Ships of the Fighting Imperium" due to its singificant problems with many of the designs.

And Journal of the Traveller's Aide Society is also often abbreviated JTAS.

GT - Gurps Traveller
GT:xxxx - A supplement for GT
Examples:
GT:N (Nobles)
GT:BTC (Behind the Claw - the Marches, essentially)
GT:FT (Far Trader - Supplement 7 a la Gurps)
GT:FI (First In - Supplement 6 a la Gurps)
GT:GF (Ground Forces - Supplement 5 a la Gurps)

Some other useful shorthands:
"Cogs and Dogs" - DGP's Vilani and Vargr supplement (redone Alien modules for MT)
"Cats and Rats" - DGP's Aslan and Solomani supplement (redone Alien modules for MT)

OTU = Official Traveller Universe. The offical game setting.

MTU = My Traveller Universe. Your home campaign setting, if it differs from the OTU.

AotI = Atlas of the Imperium. A map book of all the sectors within the Imperium, showing where star systems are located, the starport rating, gas giants and bases present, names of large population worlds and other information.

It's represented by this smilie:
file_21.gif

And lest we forget
IMHO= In My Humble Opinion.

TPTB= The Powers That Be.

BTW= By The Way.

YTU= Your Traveller Universe.

TTFN= Ta Ta For Now.

And my personal favorite K= OK
toast.gif
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Casey:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kafka47:
Here's one that stumps me: heh
Heh that's not shorthand. That's an onomatopoeia. For me at least it's like a short laugh. Not quite LOL and definately not LMAO but still something was amusing.

</font>[/QUOTE]I believe I heard this (heh) used in the Star Wars movie "Return of the Jedi"
The little bugger sitting on Jabba the Hutts tail uses this statment when he gets zapped by R2D2.

I also use this as a pair (heh,heh) sort of like saying "it is not hilarious but I'm getting away with something or am about to do something sneaky".

And then there is
FTR= For The Record.
MTCW= My Two Cents Worth
IMHU= In My Home Universe

And

FTA= Fun Travel and Adventure

And here's another in the general category you might come across:

IANAL

No, it's not something to do with forbidden (in some jurisdictions at least) acts. It's a statement that he poster is not speaking as an authority on legal matters. It stands for "I am not a lawyer" and there are a couple close variations iirc.

Of course, there are offshoots of IANAL:
IANAGD - I am not a Game Designer
IANAA - I am not an Ancient
IAAL - I am a lawyer
IANAZS - I am not a Zhodani Spy
etc.

Back