• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Social Standing

Timerover51

SOC-14 5K
I am trying to determine how to handle Social Standing in an area where not all of the planets have any concept of nobility. Once you get past 9, the assumption in both the standard Traveller rules and the Cepheus Engine is that the individual is a member of the nobility. What do you do when there is no nobility?

Related to that is what do you do when the individual is a second son or daughter and will not inherit the parent's estates or title? They may be referred to as Sir or Lady. I think that in that case, the individual will need to earn a title in the course of making rank, and gaining distinction independent of any parent. Anyone have any thoughts that they wish to share?

Lastly, how do you handle someone with a Social Standing of 12 on the rank advancement table? They are already a 12, so earning a rank of 10 or 11 is somewhat meaningless. Do they get a double roll on the skills tables or no roll at all, or just one roll?

For social standing for situations like you describe, I determine what the local culture / societal norms are and then fit the person within those.

For example, if business ownership or wealth determine social status, then the noble fits where their wealth and enterprise would put them. Owning a yacht or starship, having lots of funds, and they are treated much the same way a noble in the 3I would be, as the upper crust of society. If they're titled but broke, they get treated as say Middle Class, average, or even lower down the social scale.

If on the other hand, the world is a theocracy then it really doesn't matter what your social standing is as an outsider. You aren't part of the social system so you get treated as the outsider you are.

If it is lineage and family connections, then you need those and a proper pedigree to be considered upper class, otherwise you are just another foreigner or non-entity to the well heeled of that society.

Depending on the society, the thing(s) that determine status would change. You just need to know what that particular society has for expectations.

Winston Churchill didn't have a title; the Kennedys are considered American royalty, and the Bushes are certainly patricians.

Non presumptive heirs of nobility could still have courtesy titles, the protocol can be a little confusing and varies from country to country. All daughters of British dukes and marquises are addressed as Lady, only the eldest one of an Earl, and the rest are The Honourable. The heir to a noble title could use his father's second most prominent one as courtesy.

I am trying to determine how to handle Social Standing in an area where not all of the planets have any concept of nobility. Once you get past 9, the assumption in both the standard Traveller rules and the Cepheus Engine is that the individual is a member of the nobility. What do you do when there is no nobility?

You might wish to base the Soc on the "scope" of the individual's social-influence, as compared to the standard "Imperial" titles. In other words (regardless of the titles used, or lack thereof), someone with Soc-15 would have influence at the subsector level, someone with Soc-14 (and possible Soc-13) would have influence at the mutli-world level, someone of Soc-12 or less would have influence across a given world, etc.

Note that such influence need not necessarily be formal/official influence.

In the United States of America, we do not have Nobility. We have Celebrity.

In some aspects of how this translates. Use the Kennedy's as a template. In some sense, they were viewed as an American Royal Family. Given the celebrityhood associated with Jackie "O" and JFK Jr. Not Noble but placed on a pedestal like Kings and Princes.

Another example in our modern time, the Kardashians. We all love to hate them and they are celebrated like Wiliam and Kate.

Last edited:
For a setting with no obvious noble patents take a leaf out of how human cultures have done it throughout recorded history - if your family has wealth, access to education and political power and can influence big business you have a high social status. The alternative is to take it at the point of a sword.

In the United States of America, we do not have Nobility. We have Celebrity.

In some aspects of how this translates. Use the Kennedy's as a template. In some sense, they were viewed as an American Royal Family. Given the celebrityhood associated with Jackie "O" and JFK Jr. Not Noble but placed on a pedestal like Kings and Princes.

Another example in our modern time, the Kardashians. We all love to hate them and they are celebrated like Wiliam and Kate.

I am not even sure who the Kardashians are or why we should pay any attention to them. Are they a media creation?

Last edited:
Self promotion, mostly.

Apparently, Youtube guidelines on ensuring your videos are promoted emphasizes this, pushing your brand by using other popular media platforms.

I think thir legacy will be as long lasting as Beau Brummell's.

SOC is a flexible concept, and adapting it takes no great measure of intelligence (otherwise I'd be stumped! :eek:o:)

On a primitive (Paleo- or Neolithic-type civilisation) world:

SOC roll 2D6:
2-11...no higher status
12...roll again, below:

2-7...great warrior, or in the least, from a famed clan of warriors or ancient culture hero
8-10...hereditary shaman/medicine-man (may have precog abilities, other PSIONIC traits...)
11-12...great tribal chief, lineage from tribal founder.

Thus, it doesn't necessarily have to be based on a pseudo-Mediaeval European hierarchy of strutting, nose-in-the-air blue-bloods.

Mongoose has some material on this. Translating the different SOC levels with not just nobility, but with business magnates, entertainers, crime lords, athletes, renowned scientists, etc. I believe it is in the MgT1 Dilletante career book.

Something I've done with Social Standing in the past (to avoid it being a dump stat really) is to make it a base for influence. Characters with a higher social standing have better access to contacts, ability to grease the wheels of power and generally get other people to do things for you.

You can make this sit in any context - from Imperial nobility through to mob contacts, connections within the military-industrial complex (take Erik Prince, for example), celebrity of some sort or another, or the ear of senior folks within megacorporations. Increased social standing would potentially go with increased recognition.

I'll drop off my treatment of SOC from my TC setting thread, make of it what you will-

[FONT=arial,helvetica]This one is very underutilized IMO in most TUs, besides the 'do I get a yacht' question and the matter of nobility privilege, and was the stat that got me thinking about the whole use of stats and how they are largely neutered in favor of skills.

I don't have a 1000 star empire with the emperor and 'loyal' vassals as organizing principle, just the opening phase of Earth's exploration and expansion. So I do not have nobles in the classic OTU sense.

Went through thinking about all manner of human history, cultures etc. and decided that this is a valid character differentiation. EVERY society, from ancient to modern democracy/communist/fascist setup, has stratas of people that are 'in' and 'in power', and those that are not.

Also, being human, the power elite AND the common citizen are IMO more comfortable dealing with people 'at their level' across cultures and nations moreso then 'their own kind' at a different social level. There is a behavioral element to one's 'place in society'.

Americans especially like to think that we are all one great big fluffy meritocracy hence ignoring this stat, but even so there is strata based on wealth if nothing else, with behaviors that apply.

I have read some Mongoose Traveller on 'keeping up' re: social events and what sort of neighborhood you live in at what price, and I like that. I think IMTU the stat is actually something tracked to include demographics, a valuation of the neighborhood the player lives in, credit rating/societal reputation, attitudes, honor, and associated behaviors.

So, I am amping up the use of SOC in three ways.

1) SOC can go up or down by player action in game. In particular scandals, conviction in crime, failing to meet financial obligations, or lack of activity within X community can drop the stat, increased wealth, moving into the right clubs/social circles, achievements and reputation can increase it. SOC can change more readily then the other stats.

Players will want to manage it carefully, if for the 'credit rating' aspects if nothing else, and can be a major RP element to increase or prevent dropping.

2) SOC is the base stat for Fiscal Checks.

For loans/investments, it would be a task check with appropriate skills such as Trader, Admin, etc. but basically who you know and what reputation you have, and how much you can expect to raise/be granted. Difficulty Level would be set by the referee by a number of factors in play, particularly how much the amount sought is divided by the character's income, under how much a cloud the character is under with LE or society in general, etc.

The flip side for the underclass is utilizing the power of The Street to work around society's conventions and resource allocation structure to get things done outside the rules set by the power elite. So Social Standing is the primary stat for Streetwise checks, but in reverse from the normal stat/task check- it's rolling SOC or higher with Streetwise added in and DL modifying.

3) SOC is the primary modifying stat for reaction rolls in a social setting.

On a reaction roll, check the difference between the characters' SOC.

If the same, +3.

If the difference is 1, +2.

If the difference is 2, +1 mod.

If the difference is 3, 0 mod.

If the difference is 4, -1 mod, etc. etc.

Each level of Liaison and/or Steward adds +1 to the reaction roll.

In general, the attack factor should not be taken literally except in a frontier/bar/urban hell type setting, the attack should come as a verbal attack. Which may turn into a fight/duel/vendetta, depending.

There are two exceptions to the above.

* If a natural 2 or 12 is rolled, the SOC modifier is completely ignored- kindred spirits or despised personalities have come to the fore, ignoring class behavioral issues due to a strong deep reaction.

* Corporations, businesses, crews, military forces, none could operate if people with critical skill sets cannot get along due to SOC issues, so in a professional setting people tend to use their professional persona.

For that purpose, everyone who is 'being professional' is treated as SOC 8, no positive or negative mods between each other, Liaison and/or Steward +1 per skill level.

If one character is acting professionally and the other retains their 'natural' social reaction persona, the professional is treated as being at 8 and the social at their level, mods and Liaison apply.

Referees may exact different rolls for 'maintaining professionalism' in the face of provocation or excessive length of time 'on the job'.

Note that at upper levels of the military, government and corporations, one is expected to perform at social events, as 'an officer and a gentlemen' or as a gracious business/community leader, and drinking, long party hours or peer pressure may cause a character to drop out of their professional persona, with possibly positive or negative effects.
[/FONT]

Back