• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Some questions on space combat

I have a few questions about space combat!

1) How to change range
In the SRD on page 149, there is a chart of space combat ranges. In the equivalent table on page 146 of 1st ed Mongoose Traveller, it gives the Thrust required to change ranges, but I can't find the equivalent in Cepheus Engine.
Am I just not spotting it?

2) What is the advantage of double and tripple turrets with the same weapon?
In 1st ed mongoose traveller, a double or tripple turret with duplicates of the same weapon added +1 damage per dice of damage e.g. a tripple pulse laser would do 2d6+4 on a hit. I cannot find the equivalent rule in Cepheus Engine. Have I just not spotted it, or is it different?

3) What if you have multiple sandcasters?
This is a question that I also have of Mongoose Traveller, Cepheus Engine has inherited it. You may use a ship reaction to fire a sandcaster at an incomming beam attack. But what if I have say a 2,000 ton ship with 10 sandcaster turrets installed and a whole squadron of sandcaster operators standing by? Do I still only get one sandcaster shot per ship reaction? Or with one reaction, can every sandcaster operator make an attempt?
On a related note: What does a triple sandcaster do for me? 3d6 from one attack? 1d6+2?

4) What if you have lots of point defense weapons?
The HMS Can't Touch This from above, has the rest of it's load out in beam lasers, for use as point defense? Does it also only get < reaction > shots, despite many weapons and many operators? What does double or triple turrets do for point defense?

5) What if you have multiple missile racks?
Does this just give you more missiles to attack with, or does it go like a double or triple beam turret and increase the damage?

Thanks in advance!

While I am not a fan of space combat, I have been working on Cepheus Engine and my own take on the rules, so for what it is worth, here are my views.

I have a few questions about space combat!

1) How to change range
In the SRD on page 149, there is a chart of space combat ranges. In the equivalent table on page 146 of 1st ed Mongoose Traveller, it gives the Thrust required to change ranges, but I can't find the equivalent in Cepheus Engine.

No idea.

2) What is the advantage of double and tripple turrets with the same weapon?
In 1st ed mongoose traveller, a double or tripple turret with duplicates of the same weapon added +1 damage per dice of damage e.g. a tripple pulse laser would do 2d6+4 on a hit. I cannot find the equivalent rule in Cepheus Engine. Have I just not spotted it, or is it different?

I would say go with the Mongoose Rule until otherwise advised.

3) What if you have multiple sandcasters?
This is a question that I also have of Mongoose Traveller, Cepheus Engine has inherited it. You may use a ship reaction to fire a sandcaster at an incomming beam attack. But what if I have say a 2,000 ton ship with 10 sandcaster turrets installed and a whole squadron of sandcaster operators standing by? Do I still only get one sandcaster shot per ship reaction? Or with one reaction, can every sandcaster operator make an attempt?
On a related note: What does a triple sandcaster do for me? 3d6 from one attack? 1d6+2?

I would say that every sandcaster can be used for defense.

As for a Triple Sandcaster, I would rule a 3D6 per sandcaster per attack.

4) What if you have lots of point defense weapons?
The HMS Can't Touch This from above, has the rest of it's load out in beam lasers, for use as point defense? Does it also only get < reaction > shots, despite many weapons and many operators? What does double or triple turrets do for point defense?

Every point defense system can shoot. I would say that double or triple turrets increase your chances of hitting by +1 and +2.

5) What if you have multiple missile racks?
Does this just give you more missiles to attack with, or does it go like a double or triple beam turret and increase the damage?

Thanks in advance!

Multiple missile racks give you more missile to shoot.

Side Note: It would be nice if someone would come up with a drawing of a missile intended strictly for vacuum use. I keep thinking of something like a rectangular box with a drive unit at one end, a guidance unit at the other, along with four-chamber attitude control units on the four sides to change the course vector. Definitely not a streamlined atmospheric missile.

1) How to change range

That's hilarious they didn't reproduce it, but you're overthinking things. Cepheus is built off the Mongoose SRD. Just use the Mongoose values. You'll be fine.

Back