• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Standard Cabins/Freshers

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
The funny bunks are based on the US Navy's new "Sit-up berths" with allow sailors (or Marines) to read in bed, write letters, mine even have a fold-up computer terminal.

situp.jpeg
:confused:

How do you sleep in those?

Originally posted by bozzutoman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
situp.jpeg

How do you sleep in those?[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I imagine you slide your feet on down to the end. The people sitting up in them are reclining somewhat -- if they slide on down so their feet go past those shelves I think there's just enough room to lie down in the bunk.

Originally posted by Tanuki:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bozzutoman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
situp.jpeg

How do you sleep in those?
</font>[/QUOTE]I imagine you slide your feet on down to the end. The people sitting up in them are reclining somewhat -- if they slide on down so their feet go past those shelves I think there's just enough room to lie down in the bunk.[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]At first I thought those were shelves myself, but I think you can see the tip on one guy's toe behind them, so I am inclined to think they are ladder steps to help climbing into the higher bunks.

The funny bunks are based on the US Navy's new "Sit-up berths" with allow sailors (or Marines) to read in bed, write letters, mine even have a fold-up computer terminal.

situp.jpeg
The question I have is the top left person in another bunk or storage space?

Originally posted by bozzutoman:
situp.jpeg

They do seem like steps, but there doesn't seem enough room for anyone to lie down and stretch out. And the top one looks completely unfunctionable.

This picture makes them seem a little bit more feasible (but still a bit kloogy):

http://www.ship-technology.com/contractors/interiors/hopeman/hopeman5.html
It looks like there are guids on the top (little bits poking up on top) so that the units are stackable, but that raises the question of keeping the sleeper secure in rough seas or other similar conditions. Someone falling from the third bunk would really hurt themself if they landed on their head.

Thanks for the better picture, bozzutoman
5_berth.JPG

The feet not only go behind the "ladder" (called "stirrup steps" on the Navy's site), but also behind 15 cm of wall. The foot of the lowest bunk goes all the way to the drawers, the feet of the upper bunks are only a layer of sheetmetal away from the "sit-up" area of the bunk underneath. The dark circular object is, I think, an exhaust fan near the toes. I think this gives almost 2 meters to stretch out in.

And the top bunk is very similar to the 2nd bunk, but the "sit-up" area goes into the overhead (presumably a dropped ceiling?) When I use this kind of berthing I only stack two high, and the third bunk is an old-fashioned, lie down bunk used for overcrowding.

You're welcome Uncle Bob... thanks for introducing me to this rather crafty invention.

That third bunk must be a real p.i.t.a. to get into.

From what I understand of TNE-GT ship berthing designs I've perused these past many years, these are perfect Solomani-cramped designs! Compact and comfy (unless yer on the top bunk). Its that line that forms to the fresher ye gotta be wary of! :D ;) :cool:

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
Its that line that forms to the fresher ye gotta be wary of! :D ;) :cool:
I picture the "I gotta go potty" episode of the Animanics with the line. Questionable subject matter, but well done. :D ;)

Here's an interesting reference; real-world habitation requirements on Royal Navy ships.
Lots of detailed info on space required for bunks, toilets, galleys, and so forth. Good for reminding designers that there should be toilets near watch stations as well as in staterroms, for example.
Defence Standard 02-107

Originally posted by Tom Schoene:
Here's an interesting reference; real-world habitation requirements on Royal Navy ships.
Lots of detailed info on space required for bunks, toilets, galleys, and so forth. Good for reminding designers that there should be toilets near watch stations as well as in staterroms, for example.
Defence Standard 02-107
Thanks! The US Navy references were scattered, incomplete, and have been sealed off since September 2001.

Thanks! The US Navy references were scattered, incomplete, and have been sealed off since September 2001.
The best starting place for the US info is The USN's Habitability Net website.

I have the equivalent US document from that site, but as you say, it seems to be gone now. (That happened fairly recently; I downloaded it in late September 2002.) It's marked "APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE/DISTRIBUTION UNLIMITED" so I'll be glad to e-mail it to anyone who wants it.

drop me a line at taschoene@starpower.net

The best starting place for the US info is The USN's Habitability Net website.

I have the equivalent US document from that site, but as you say, it seems to be gone now. (That happened fairly recently; I downloaded it in late September 2002.) It's marked "APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE/DISTRIBUTION UNLIMITED" so I'll be glad to e-mail it to anyone who wants it.

drop me a line at taschoene@starpower.net
Tom -- I'd like a copy, please.

Me Too!

BTW,I was looking at the RN doc, and it looks like they allow from 12.5 Dton for Admirals down to 0.6 Dton for junior enlisted men. Officers run 2-4 Dton (except in submarines). Senior officers in medium-to-large ships get about 4 Dton, 2.5-3 Dton in their cabins (which are also offices) and about another Dton in the wardroom & hygeine.

Back