• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Standard Starships in THB

I figured the designer missed the Small Craft Bridge includes two seats when the craft were designed across the board. So all the seats were a goof, not just the extra seat in the Fighter.

I definitely agree that a two man crew for a fighter is about minimum under T20. So you can maneuver and shoot. Most of my 50T Fighters that I have designed actually have a crew of 4. (Pilot, Gunner, Offensive EW/Computer and Defensive EW/Commo or similar combination.) Since in T20 you don't need as much computer, in a fighter, you can use that space and the resulting energy/fuel savings, to come up with some interesting additions to a fighter. (Crew of 4, 14 days endurance, plenty of armor and two cabins.) Of course when you have that smaller computer you have to rely on Ground Control or Carrier or AWACS equivalent to generate an intercept but it doesn't make it impossible to hit a ship with a higher computer and good agility.

I am not saying that small craft aren't used for trips between the planet and moon, or between the Habitable zone and the Asteroid belt or some other in system transfers. I do figure the vast majority of small craft will be used for Ship to ground and High Port to Low Port transfers. It is easy enough to customize the empty space to add the cabin for longer trips. It is tougher to remove a cabin if that is the "Standard."

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bhoins:
Passenger capacity in a Fighter? Besides if you want minor passenger capacity, it is easy enough for the customer to add it. If it isn't needed, like a fuel shuttle or cargo design then it isn't there. I do agree that the addition of a small craft cabin, when most trips taken by small craft are less than a couple of hours definitely seems like a waste of space. Again if the customer wants it for an application they can add it.
The thrid couch in the fighter is a goof*. As for the passenger seat I think Bhoins was referring to other than the fighter. In any case a two place fighter makes sense to allow for a pilot and gunner, or as a trainer, or any number of possibilities.

* What I think might have happended, and it's just a guess, the designer built it like the HG version, no bridge just a computer and add a seat, as a single place fighter. Except T20 is pretty specific about needing both unlike HG which I'd asked about a while back to see if it wasn't errata.

For other craft, yes while the typical use players will see and make of them might be just shuttling between orbit and world I think the majority of small craft will be employed locally in-system. Some of those trips will take days or even weeks so you will need a small cabin for the crew that is for example making a delivery to that moon or neighbour world. Still, I have been building my conversions like the CT ones, just the basics and customization space left for the extras such as cabins, passenger seats and so on. So on that we agree.
</font>[/QUOTE]

Back