• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starlifter, Mod. 1 (T20 Design)

Class: Starlifter Mod. 1
Type: Far Merchant
Architect: Father Fletch
Tech Level: 13
USP AF-32222R1-000000-00000-0 MCr 126.880 300 Tons
Crew: 6
Cargo: 104 Passengers: 8 Low: 12 Fuel: 66 EP: 4.5 Agility: 1
Craft: 1 x 5T Air/Raft
Fuel Treatment: Fuel Scoops
Architects Fee: MCr 1.266 Cost in Quantity: MCr 101.559
Detailed Description (T20 Design)
HULL
300 tons standard, 4,200 cubic meters, Airframe Cone Configuration, 100 Structure Points
CREW
Pilot, Navigator, 2 Engineers, Steward, Medic
ENGINEERING
Jump-2, 2G Maneuver, Power plant-2, 4.5 EP, Agility 1
AVIONICS
Bridge, Model/1bis Computer, Model/1 Flight Avionics, Model/1 Sensors, Model/1 Communications
HARDPOINTS
Three
ARMAMENT
None
DEFENCES
None
CRAFT
1 5-ton Air/Raft (Cost of MCr 0.275)
FUEL
66 Tons Fuel (2 parsecs jump and 28 days endurance)
On Board Fuel Scoops, No Fuel Purification Plant
MISCELLANEOUS
11 Staterooms, 12 Low Berths, 1 Additional Airlock, 8 High Passengers, 12 Low Passengers, 104 Tons Cargo
USER DEFINED COMPONENTS
None
COST
MCr 127.871 Singly (incl. Architects fees of MCr 1.266)
MCr 101.284 in Quantity, plus MCr 0.275 of Carried Craft (Hardpoints charged)
CONSTRUCTION TIME
71 Weeks Singly, 57 Weeks in Quantity
COMMENT
The brain child of Coral Blue Design Studios, located in scenic Coral Gables Arcology, Sentry/ Ley this design takes existing parts and enables the class B starport at Sentry to build jump capable ships that can server the local cluster. Built from a modified Hind XIII, now becoming surplus with many newer TL 14 designs being accepted into Imperial service, this design is a combination of various Imperial Military Surplus parts that produce a versatile Far Trader capable of serving the Shanape Cluster, or any other cluster located J2 off of a main.
First the Hind XII hull is stripped of much of its armor plating, one of the extra airlocks, the drop capsule launch tubes, the sick bay, the auto doc, turrets, weapons, missile magazines, avionics and the marine bunk rooms. Her engine compartments are also stripped. This leaves a great deal of space to work with. Often the Hinds come mostly stripped already, saving on initial purchase and yard costs.
After having her space worthy status checked and certed the hull is rebuilt from the landing struts up. One of the first jobs is the installation of the Jump grid. This delicate process is done with imported parts manufactured at Harukaze/Ley to TL 12 standards, which does add to the total cost somewhat. Eventually the SPA, local industrial concerns, planetary government, and nobles, in conjunction with the University of Dukh (Sentry Campus) hope to produce their own components, and begin the process of making Sentry a local source of Jump capable starships. This would also lead to a petition to reclassify the starport at Sentry to Class A.
The jump grid, manufactured to IISS-SC101J-12 compliant standards, is then mated to the main jump drives from 3 scout couriers, surplused and reconditioned. The initial run of 10 Starlifters were built with unissued but surplused drive units, stored in a local Scout Way Station. Future manufacture will used factory recerted Ling-Standard Products, General Products and GSbAG engines. This allows for cost savings, built in redundancy and parts familiarity and availability, allowing the Starlifter to enjoy logistics and maintenance benefits during her lifespan.
The maneuver units are locally produced to IISS-SC102M-12 compliant standards and then installed. This insures parts compatibility with the J drives and aids in maintenance and refit throughout the lifespan of the ship. This also results in 6 thruster modules and gives the Starlifter her distinct appearance.
The power plant is also locally manufactured to IISS-SC103P-13 compliant standards. The cost and size benefits of this advanced design allows the smaller power plant to meet the needs of the ship in a compact package.
While the drive section is installed the rest of the ship is being rebuilt as well. The extensive quarters and drop capsule facilities are rebuilt into a smaller quarters area and fuel tankage. The troop egress/AFV compartment is extended and rebuilt as a cargo bay. This bay is able to take advantage of the large egress doors built in for battlefield loading and unloading. The landing gear is capable of raising or lowering to meet a variety of local conditions. This means that loading and unloading the Starlifter is a breeze. She has loading doors located port, aft and starboard. This also means that when landed the doors can be opened to act as canopies and the cargo bay becomes an open-air market, with goods on display for retail sale. The specially designed doors can open either up to serve as overhead cover, or down to serve as loading ramps, you can even vary both so that while docked next to an elevated warehouse loading ramp crew can walk down the opposite ramp or enjoy the shade of the rear canopy.
Sensors are locally produced and usually only built to SPA navigation standards. There is room for fitting more extensive sensors, though at an increased cost in computer, space and volume demands. The Starlifter does not usually mount weapons, though her combat legacy has left her with 3 hardpoints capable of fitting a standard turret. Wiring harnesses and plumbing are in place for the turret weapons, and the power plant is designed to supply the turrets, should the owner want to fit any.
Able to take advantage of the airframe design and built in fuel scoops, the Starlifter can enjoy fuel cost savings on frontier systems. The large, high placed bridge gives a good field of view to the crew when maneuvering in tight quarters at a starport. Both the airframe and bridge make gas giant refueling much easier and smoother than in simply streamlined designs.
Capable of mounting turrets and with surplus avionics, sensors and communicators the Starlifter can be configured for safe and secure core areas or for more challenging markets, all depending on the buyer’s need.
Low berths and passenger cabins for 12 and 8, respectively, are fitted, and the finish throughout is first class. Taking advantage of the artisanship available in the many arcologies on planet the interior of each Starlifter is unique, often using aquatic themes and materials to impart a sense of class that any noble would be happy to travel in. Even the crew quarters, though compact, are well fitted and comfortable. With centuries of experience in long distance, long duration undersea travel a part of the Sentry character, the transition to designing jump capable ships was simple.
With her rakish lines and combat heritage the Starlifter stands out wherever she goes.

High Guard Shipyard v1.14
© 2000-2002 Andrew Moffatt-Vallance
Release Date: 11/13/2001
Email: a.vallance@netaccess.co.nz

Nice work. A great starter ship for PCs! I like the re-cycled feel of the hull and engines. Should make scout characters feel right at home.

How hard would it be for a crew to refit her with a fuel purification plant?

Now this is really weird. Yesterday I actually worked out a pair of designs using a very similar concept, and I was planning to post them today.

I started with a 100-ton 3-G non-starship landing craft built around a 60-ton cargo bay. The idea was they they would be carried aboard commercial freighters in lieu of cargo pods or in small craft racks. (See: Deck Cargo at Freelance Traveller)

Then I welded on a section at the stern for crew quarters and jump drive, plus fuel tanks along the hull sides. The resulting ship is 160 tons, Jump-2, 2-G with about 60 tons of cargo and no passengers.

Tom, you are going to post them, right?

Originally posted by Tom Schoene:
Now this is really weird. Yesterday I actually worked out a pair of designs using a very similar concept, and I was planning to post them today.

I started with a 100-ton 3-G non-starship landing craft built around a 60-ton cargo bay. The idea was they they would be carried aboard commercial freighters in lieu of cargo pods or in small craft racks. (See: Deck Cargo at Freelance Traveller)

Then I welded on a section at the stern for crew quarters and jump drive, plus fuel tanks along the hull sides. The resulting ship is 160 tons, Jump-2, 2-G with about 60 tons of cargo and no passengers.
Great idea Tom-stars fer you! A natural progression of new starships being built from LASH type lighters (lighter Aboard Ship)/ or military surplus landers shows the natrual progression of economies as war slacks off, and demand for commercial shipping re-occurs! Go for it! :D :cool:

Father Fletch, great conversion work! The freelance shipyard has been mined by me (and others) for many an idea imtu. Great work! Now maybe we can get a proper publishing page from our ANcients for making these a part of the new OTU...Gateway era campaign universe!

Originally posted by Father Fletch:

HULL
300 tons standard, 4,200 cubic meters, Airframe Cone Configuration, 100 Structure Points
AVIONICS
Bridge, Model/1bis Computer, Model/1 Flight Avionics, Model/1 Sensors, Model/1 Communications
Arghhhh! Need more error trapping!!! If I understand the rules correctly, the airframe hull should require upgrading the avionics to model/2 (which in turn require a model/2 computer to support).

<sound of Andrew frantically trying to code a fix for this error>

Originally posted by Andrewmv:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Father Fletch:

HULL
AVIONICS
Arghhhh! Need more error trapping!!! If I understand the rules correctly, the airframe hull should require upgrading the avionics to model/2 (which in turn require a model/2 computer to support).

<sound of Andrew frantically trying to code a fix for this error>
</font>[/QUOTE]While we're at it., a 300-ton hull should have 130 Structure points (100 + 15 per 100 tons over 100)

And Power 2 should yield 6 EP, I think. I note that there's no instruction for calculating the Power Plant USP number in T20 and the design sequence implicitly encourages non-standard power plant sizes. How would you code those in a USP?

Back