• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starport law level

Originally posted by Hyphen:
However, murder is an Imperial crime as well as a crime on most planets. IMTU there is an extradition policy available so that the SPA can hand back real criminals fleeing a murder charge - but it is only used when the Starport Director allows it to be used.
I reckon it would be rather automatic for crimes that are recognized under Imperial law. The Starport would extradite provided that the culprit is tried under Imperial legal standards.

The system in the "Law in the Imperium" article in Challenge 50 establishes the categories of High Justice, Imperial Law, Recognized Law and Local Law.
Prosecution for the first two categories is conducted by Imperial authorities themselves.
For all "recognized" crimes, extradition to local authorities would be a sure thing, provided that the trial conforms to Imperial standards. Recognized offenses cover all the serious crimes such as murder, manslaughter, rape, kidnapping and grand theft.
For local offenses, including minor theft, the Starport IMTU might or might not extradite depending on the rapport and/or treaties the SPA has with the World government - and would of course have its own local laws concerning such offenses as well, should they occur on the Starport grounds.

Other cases in which the SPA might not be willing to extradite is if a possible local trial cannot be expected to conform to Imperial standards of fair trial, or if they decide to prosecute a crime which is defined both under Imperial and local laws (such as murder) in an Imperial trial.

Regards,

Tobias

Parmasson, I'd think law level 9 on Regina would be high enough for the locals to bother. I'm thinking more like at airports, currency transfer restrictions, posession of resrticted goods, quarantine restrictions etc etc. Australias are pretty strict.

Using CT wouldn't you have to roll over 9 on 2d6 to NOT be hasseled by the locals? That's not an easy task.

Back