• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starting new Classic campaign in January - advice wanted!

So, comrades, I'll be starting a brand new Traveller campaign next month, and Classic is the ruleset. This is for my regular tabletop group, and for all of them it'll be the first time playing Traveller. I've got some comments and questions mixed in as I sort out my exact ideas here for the campaign, and I'm hoping to get some commentary on how you all think it would go with the very minor tweaks and such not I'd be making. Feel free to comment or ask questions and the like.

Rules:
I'll be pretty much using the rules "as-is." Book-wise, I'll be using: Books 1-3, 4 (some equipment, and recruiting, mass combat, etc if it happens); Supplements 1, 2, 3 (question in a moment), 4 (comment in a moment), 6 (of course!), 7, 8, and 11.

Rules-wise, I'll run basic combat like it says in Bk1. Space combat will be Bk2 minus the miniatures thing (we'll just use real-world ranges - otherwise, I like the "let's jigger the computer programs and worry if a shot will take us out in one hit" thing).

For character creation, I plan to use Bk1 and Sup4. Failing the Survival roll just means you're kicked out, age 1-3 years, and don't get a skill or benefit. Also, character generation ends for that character.

Another of the few house-rules: any character in a career that does not get rank gets 2 skills per term instead of one (like Scouts). Why? Mostly because the guys with "officer" and promotion rolls can get 4 skills in one term, plus 2 every term thereafter, plus extra loot and goodies when mustering out (not counting extra skills due to rank, like Army Lts and the like). I figure the extra guaranteed skill is a nice balance. Only problem I can see is that certain careers become very "safe" for lots of skill, but then, that's what the reenlistment roll is for (since it's unmodified). That also stops character creation.

Setting:

Setting is the Imperium, as outlined in the Spinward Marches book, and the Library Data info. One change though:

IMTU, Nobles are sort of like the Senators from Republican Rome and "figurehead leaders" in, say, British Commonwealth countries. What I mean is, for me, Nobles are those of family (or achievement) who are allowed to sit on the various Subsector, Sector, or Imperial Senates. The receive no "pay" for this, unless they're in the Noble career (more on this in a moment). The Subsector Duke is more of a "Principes Senatus" than a lord of a piece of the Imperium. In fact, as things are, each planet rules itself, and the Navy and Army are split amongst their various commands.

What are nobles then? Nobles are those who legislate or decree action within their area. For example, for the Imperial Navy to invade rebel worlds in a particular subsector, the Subsector Senate would meet (with all nobles of Baron and above within the subsector able to attend).

Now, how does this fit with the Noble career? Basically, all nobles NOT part of the official career are backbenchers - their title gives them the right to sit on council or committee, and they can vote, but that's it. They do not lead the various councils or subcommittees, they can present neither decree or legislation. That's left for Nobles who work in the career. Think of them as the Tribunes, Praetors, and Consuls of our Imperium - they are the ones who are given governorships in those few places the Imperium runs directly.

They act as local "head of state" for certain ceremonial functions that are the right of the Imperium (for example, Countess So-and-So, for her 3 planets of the Imperium, is the one who can grant Imperial citizenship and signs the papers, or acts as the arbitrator between her three worlds in disagreements). As mentioned, in the Subsector or Sector Senate, she can propose legislation or decrees and petitions, and can sit in judgement of other nobles for crimes against the Imperium.

Thoughts? In my view, this gives plenty of reason why nobles can have title and simultaneously no money, but also why they are highly regarded and will probably receive many benefits for their title. It also lets knights be lower gentry without land; a nice, quiet title. I'll probably right more late but this is what's in my head now.

Last edited:
C.R.E.A.M. (Credits Rule Everything Around Me) :D

So, comrades, I'll be starting a brand new Traveller campaign next month, and Classic is the ruleset. I've got some comments and questions mixed in as I sort out my exact ideas here. Feel free to comment or ask questions and the like.

Rules:
I'll be pretty much using the rules "as-is." Book-wise, I'll be using: Books 1-3, 4 (some equipment, and recruiting, mass combat, etc if it happens); Supplements 1, 2, 3 (question in a moment), 4 (comment in a moment), 6 (of course!), 7, 8, and 11.

Rules-wise, I'll run basic combat like it says in Bk1. Space combat will be Bk2 minus the minatures thing (we'll just use real-world ranges - otherwise, I like the "let's jigger the computer programs and worry if a shot will take us out in one hit" thing).

For character creation, I plan to use Bk1 and Sup4. Failing the Survival roll just means you're kicked out, age 1-3 years, and don't get a skill or benefit. Also, character generation ends for that character.

Another of the few house-rules: any character in a career that does not get rank gets 2 skills per term instead of one (like Scouts). Why? Mostly because the guys with "officer" and promotion rolls can get 4 skills in one term, plus 2 every term thereafter, plus extra look and goodies when mustering out (not counting exra skills due to rank, like Army Lts and the like). I figure the extra guaranteed skill is a nice balance. Only problem I can see is that certain careers become very "safe" for lots of skill, but then, that's what the reenlistment roll is for (since it's unmodified). That also stops character creation.

Setting:

Setting is the Imperium, as outlined in the Spinward Marches book, and the Library Data info. One change though:

IMTU, Nobles are sort of like the Senators from Republican Rome and "figurehead leaders" in, say, British Commonwealth countries. What I mean is, for me, Nobles are those of family (or achievement) who are allowed to sit on the various Subsector, Sector, or Imperial Senates. The receive no "pay" for this, unless they're in the Noble career (more on this in a moment). The Subsector Duke is more of a "Principes Senatus" than a lord of a piece of the Imperium. In fact, as things are, each planet rules itself, and the Navy and Army are split amongst their various commands.

What are nobles then? Nobles are those who legislate or decree action within their area. For example, for the Imperial Navy to invade rebel worlds in a particular subsector, the Subsector Senate would meet (with all nobles of Baron and above within the subsector able to attend).

Now, how does this fit with the Noble career? Basically, all nobles NOT part of the official career are backbenchers - their title gives them the right to sit on council or committee, and they can vote, but that's it. They do not lead the various councils or subcommittees, they can present neither decree or legislation. That's left for Nobles who work in the career. Think of them as the Tribunes, Praetors, and Consuls of our Imperium - they are the ones who are given governorships in those few places the Imperium runs directly.

They act as local "head of state" for certain ceremonial functions that are the right of the Imperium (for example, Countess So-and-So, for her 3 planets of the Imperium, is the one who can grant Imperial citizenship and signs the papers, or acts as the arbitrator between her three worlds in disagreements). As mentioned, in the Subsector or Sector Senate, she can propose legislation or decrees and petitions, and can sit in judgement of other nobles for crimes against the Imperium.

Thoughts? In my view, this gives plenty of reason why nobles can have title and simultaneously no money, but also why they are highly regarded and will probably receive many benefits for their title. It also lets knights be lower gentry without land; a nice, quiet title. I'll probably right more late but this is what's in my head now.
A later Traveller edition had (iirc) and Traveller 5 has Wounding instead of Death on a failed Survival Roll. You might want to allow for that.

One thing I dig about T5 is the new Career benefits of being a Noble (or at least in the Career anyway) is that they now get a real Fief and minor Stipend. Also, Proxy Votes.

PbP, online chat room, RPG gaming board?

I am kind of interested depending on how it is run.

PM sent for potential ? character

Dave Chase

PbP, online chat room, RPG gaming board?

I am kind of interested depending on how it is run.

PM sent for potential ? character

Dave Chase

I, naturally, am stupid. It's for my regular tabletop group. I just wanted to post my ridiculous musing for the game and get folks' comments here. Sorry! I'll edit and make it clearer!

IIRC their is an optional rule in later printings of the Basic game that say as an optional rule is if you fail a survival roll you muster out half way through a term (normally on a medical), receive no skill, can't try for Commission or Promotion and I think you missed out on that terms benefit roll to boot.

a wile back I added a house rule allowing MT style "Special Duty" rolls, one option was it scored you a additional skill and allowed you to roll on a special table that has Book 4-8 and Sup-4 skills on it, option two was no extra skill but it opened up the table. I've got all the Book 1 careers and half the Sup-4 careers done up, still working on the rest if your interested?

IIRC their is an optional rule in later printings of the Basic game that say as an optional rule is if you fail a survival roll you muster out half way through a term (normally on a medical), receive no skill, can't try for Commission or Promotion and I think you missed out on that terms benefit roll to boot.

It's definitely in the options for the various '81 and later printings. It became the standard in later editions of the game (MT onward) to have short-term-and-out. T20 and MGT have additional bad effects, but may not result in out, on a failed survival.

Cool Beens! knew I was right

I'm currantaly in the middle of my Annual Summer Campaign and Pick-up games (that usually tie up mid to late January), also I've got a player who has started a Solo game that I expect carry on till about March, Made the same Scout twice, used the same Stats and Enlistment rolls, but from then on we used Book 1 & my Special Duty table for one version of the character and Book 6 for the other, Both versions came out the same for Skills (no Stat advances where gained during terms) although some skills where gained in different terms the end result was the exact same character, even the Mustering out Benefits where the same (dice roll on the Cash table was different but same result and swap the order the Ship and Int Benefit where gained). I'm running a Rigina Survey campaign. when I warped up last night the character was pulling some Illegal salvage in the Morneb system, they have already blown their Buffer they'd built for themselves and will be 4 days in to "Catch-up time" when there done, looks like they wont get the sector in the bag before Holiday unless they pass up the Red Zones

Back