• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

STAT THAT SHIP! PART 11- Avrora class freighter

bryan gibson

Absent Friend
Another look at a ship from the Terran Praesium setiing - The Avrora Class Freighter

AvroraCOLORcopygridded.jpg

600 dtons, +/-10 percent

a freighter/passenger liner, that cruises the starlanes. Of NR manufacture, and popular for its versatility.

Image copyright Images Studio 2006

the praesidum has a max jump of 3, and this would be a TL 12 ship, but its designed for good mdrive legs. In any universe, fast transit is always desirable, and as a pasesnger freighter, pax will pay a premium for speed.

Hmm, I tried to do a re-engineering, but came out with a tonnage around 2000 dT.
I took the left cargo door as a measurement base and assumed something 3 m high and perhaps 8 m wide.
This result in a cute ship around 108 m long, 50 m wide and 18 m high.

Kind of problem ?

TE

Even if its perhaps too big:

Quick stats:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">2000 dT streamlined hull
108 m long, 51 m wide, 18 m high
Unloaded weight: 7500 t

PP - 34 dT 8100 MW Output
JD - 80 dT Jump-3
MD - 100 dT 2 g
Fuel - 500 dT 1 jump-3 & PP
10 T.MissileT - 10 dT 5 batts. F-4
10 T.SandcT - 10 dT 5 batts. F-5
40 Staterooms - 40 dT
LifeSupport/Env - 355 dT
Bridge - 5 dT Model3 & Controls
SubCraft - 5 dT AirRaft
Cargo - 740 dT

Crew: 19 (6 command, 4 bridge, 6 engineers, 1 maint, 2 Stewards) + 27 gunners</pre>[/QUOTE]Hmm, have to check command crew calc....

regards,

TE

Might just be big thrust for a rapid transit in system.

I'd be looking at ~ J2/M4 airframe flattened sphere as a basis. Probably TL11 (NR internal maximum TL), but possibly some imported parts from elsewhere at TL12.

Avrora Liner
Hull: 600 dTon flattened sphere (airframe)
Tech Level: 11
Armor: None
Computer: Model 2

Engineering
Jump Drive rating: 2
Maneveur Drive rating: 4
Power Plant: 30 EP
Agility: 1
Fuel Tanks: 150 dTon (1 jump 2 + 4weeks operation)

Fittings
6 Crew Staterooms
30 Passenger Staterooms
Engineering Shop
2 Airlocks
Sickbay
2 Freshers
Fuel Scoops
Fuel Purification plant (TL 11)
6 Hardpoints
Bridge (10 dTon)
Ship Lockers (7 dTon)

Crew
Pilot, Astrogator
4 Engineers, 5 Stewards

Capacity
Cargo: 100 dTon
Life Support: 144 persons (maximum)
Passengers: 30 high passages
Passengers(TP): 120 seated in 30 cabins

T20 Cost (as standard design): 263.234 MCr

Variants
The Avrora is likely to age gracefully towards a pure cargo role. This is likely to constitute removal of the passenger and some crew areas to end up with a cargo capacity of arround 240 dTon, or with more stripping and a smaller maneveur drive and powerplant getting up to the 330 dTon mark.

A militarised variant (of either the cargo or liner design) is also available. This generally involves the removal of two passenger staterooms to accomodate turret hardware, and a small reduction in the cargo area available. The default configuration is
2x Triple Beam Laser Turret
2x Triple Sandcaster
2x Triple Missile Turret

Bryan,

TheEngineer is trying to estimate the volume of the vessel from the image, based on an estimate on the size of the left cargo door as being 3m high, and therefore the ship being of approximately 15-21 m in height.

I'd estimate the left door (the "1" door) as being half height (1.8 m or so) for a vessel 10m high (over the front part) and 50 long which is in the ballpark for a 600 dTon ship.

I can't stop thinking of this vessel as a 747.

Everything just a matter of scale

I'm using the excel designer for volume distribution, by simply putting the sideview image on the sheet and creating decks, so that the profile looks all right.

I then scaled it down, so that volume is around 600 dT, which results in a 72m x36m x 12 m vessel (hey, thats really the length of a 747).
Anyway it appears a bit to small to me, considering the doors of the picture, so I will proceed with the "big one"

As veltyen I think of a power down in order to perhaps break the 1000 dton cargo limit...

well, the vessel as I planned it in drawing was to be the size of a 747, so while I can't speak to where youre conceptualizing, thats dead one for what I had in mind.

Yep.
Anyway, that picture is another pretty artistical motivation !
I always wanted to do the stats and a deckplan for a large freighter...

Well, I got the impression, that the detail level of deckplans can be reduced significantly.
Guess their job should just be to give a better impression of the insides.
What I like very much are sidecuts. Maybe sometimes this is even enough, unless you want to play AHL or something similar.
So the top view deckplan is perhaps just a intermediate step to get a correct sidecut....

hmm. Personally, I suspect its more a question of what you want from a deckplan, more than anything else.

I tend to do deckplans that show the layouts and position of the innards, rather than sweat the inner details of volume and counting squares. A grid oin my deckplans is more for the placeemt of the plans and objects rather than worries of measurements and minis ala AHL.

Others like them detailed and mathematically correct. Its all subjective, I suppose.

Here's my version: It leans more toward a cargo hauler than a space liner:

Class: Aurora
Type: Freighter
Architect: Mark A. Siefert
Tech Level: 11

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">USP
EX-61224R2-000000-20000-0 MCr 405.734 600 Tons
Bat Bear 1 Crew: 18
Bat 1 TL: 11

Cargo: 213.000 Passengers: 10 Emergency Low: 1 Fuel: 144.000 EP: 24.000 Agility: 2 Ships Troops: 1
Craft: 1 x 4T Air/Raft
Fuel Treatment: Fuel Scoops and On Board Fuel Purification
Backups: 1 x Model/1bis Computer

Architects Fee: MCr 4.057 Cost in Quantity: MCr 324.587</pre>[/QUOTE]Detailed Description

TONNAGE
600.000 tons standard, 8,400.000 cubic meters, Needle/Wedge Configeration

CREW
11 Officers, 7 Ratings

ENGINEERING
Jump-2, 2G Manuever, Power plant-4, 24.000 EP, Agility 2

AVIONICS
Bridge, Model/1bis Computer
1 Model/1bis Backup Computer

HARDPOINTS
1 Hardpoint

ARMARMENT
1 Dual Beam Laser Turret in 1 Battery (Factor-2)

DEFENCES
None

CRAFT
1 4.000 ton Air/Raft (Crew of 0)

FUEL
126.000 Tons Fuel (2 parsecs jump and 30 days endurance)
On Board Fuel Scoops, On Board Fuel Purification Plant

MISCELLANEOUS
22.0 Staterooms, 1 Emergency Low Berth, 213.000 Tons Cargo

COST
MCr 409.791 Singly (incl. Architects fees of MCr 4.057), MCr 324.587 in Quantity

CONSTRUCTION TIME
99 Weeks Singly, 79 Weeks in Quantity

Hi !

A sidecut of the off-scale vessel

AuroraExp.png

Rough deckplans are ready, too.
Anyway I wonder if the cargo hold should be made more compact, but perhaps with increased height for extraordinary transports....

regards,

TE

Sigg, which cargo door (left/right) ?
Besides, I assumed the left cargo door to actually be the "garage" door of the airraft etc.

Er, why arbitray ?
I took a look at the picture, especially the visible hatches. Those where about 10 to 12 pixel high. A somehow reasonable size should be around 2 m in order to allow any vacc suited person to get out upright.
The overall height in the picture (without the upper fins) is around 120 pixel, which results in a height of (120/10)*2 = 24 to (120/12)*2 = 20 m.
So actually the vessels height just scales with the defined height for those hatches.

Actually the sidecut is just a result of the rough deckplan design I've already made.
Guess I finish a CC2 version today.

Regards,

TE

Back