• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

[Synthetics] and [Chimera] Modified Humans

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
Genomods: synthetics and chimera designed for specific environments or purposes.

Geneered Chimera are practical at TL14.

Spacer
Human Chimera SDEIES 221222.
Size 60 humanoid pattern.
Legs with Manipulators.
Vacuum resistance, short-term.
High oxygenation.
Low-G environment.

Smaller than typical humans, Spacers are designed to feel at home in minimal-gravity environments, and in the complete weightlessness of space. Their feet are modified manipulators, with opposable big toes. They can oxygenate their blood to a high level in a short period of time and have strong mucous membranes, as well as slightly recessed capillary blood vessels, allowing them to survive for short periods of time in total vacuum. At normal gravity, they usually feel weak, and use exoskeletal armor to get around.

As genetically engineered people, they might not have good protection against the hard radiation of space. So they won't intentionally be outside without a vacc suit.

Stout
Human Chimera SDEIES 424222.
Size 120 HBS-T-AN-LL-N.
High-G environment.

The heavy-world counterpart to Spacers, Stouts are comfortable in environments 2 G's and higher. Muscles are modified to handle crushing gravities, and inside their torsos are bony geodesic structures, creating internal compartmentalization to prevent crushing of organs. They have four sturdy legs to better distribute their mass. They tend to become ponderous and dizzy under normal gravity.

Aquarian
Human Chimera SDEIES 222222.
Size 72 humanoid pattern.
Webbed hands and feet.
Gills and lungs.
High oxygenation.
Underwater environment.

Aquarians are designed for aquatic environments. They have gills as well as lungs, and long, webbed hands and toes (which make getting around on land slightly uncomfortable for them). Their ears are less pressure-sensitive, and as with Spacers, their blood can oxygenate to a high level. Their hearing and vision are both adapted to underwater use as well.

Synthetics are practical at TL13.

Spartan
Synthetic SDEIES UPP=AA7700. MCr 4.9 each.
14 open skill levels.
Size 96 humanoid pattern.
Armored skin.
All senses +24.
Sterile.
Batch-production.
Shortened lifespan (about 40 years).
Servile.

Designed purely for combat, Spartans live rather sad lives, but when they enter combat, they are masterful. Spartans superficially resemble Stouts, with strong muscles. However, they are designed for typical human environments, and come in typical human sizes and proportions, allowing them to use normal equipment. Their skin is reinforced with natural armor. All of their senses are heightened, and they have amazingly high Dexterity (fast reflexes). They are created sterile, and have designed-in instincts to serve a certain group of people, or have innate inabilities to process certain amino acids, requiring them to maintain loyalty to their masters. Due to their design, Spartans are illegal in some parts civilized space.

Drone
Synthetic SDSIES UPP=A74100. KCr 560 each.
8 open skill levels.
Size 84 humanoid pattern.
Sterile.
Batch-production.
Shortened lifespan (about 40 years).
Servile.

Drones are are designed for slave labor. They are strong like Spartans, with altered muscles for a longer work day, but have low mental abilities and no social status. They also have built-in "loyalty factors" such as amino acid deficiencies and limited life-spans. Due to their design, Drones are illegal in civilized space, but some remain, and some unscrupulous people continue to produce them.

Last edited:
A better question is what is the downside to genetic modification?

Low San? A tendency to Megalomania?

And what about the Researcher genemod? Why not one for this as well?

The Linguist genemod?

Read the "Old Man's War" series by John Scalzi on some modifications and how they affect the person.

Consider the implications of mind transference. What happens when you can move to a body suited for the task at hand?

A better question is what is the downside to genetic modification?

Good question. I've changed them to be synthetics, which carries some downsides. I think, though, the main restrictions are going to be environmental or self-determination. The environmental synthetics just won't work well in environments typical to standard humanity. And Spartans and Drones are essentially slaves.

I think, but don't know for sure, that synthetics have a reduced lifespan, but that's not really here nor there in a game context -- in fact, it becomes a potential long-term goal for player characters to solve their lifespan problem.

And what about the Researcher genemod? Why not one for this as well?

The Linguist genemod?

If I recall the Rules right, skill packs can be chosen for Synthetics, so you are correct here.

But I'm not targeting skills on purpose: I think a Quaddie -- er, excuse me, a Spacer -- or Aquarian or Stout, and even a Spartan, is perfectly capable of being a Researcher or Linguist. In other words, specializations of synthetics.

Maybe I'm doing this wrong -- instead of Synthetics, I should be talking Genetic Modifications. Chimera or just Engineered Human Variants.

The only mod which is not good for typical players would be the Drone. Although a referee can always make an "accident" Drone which happens to have decent Int and EDU, and run him through a successful pre-game career.

Maybe I'm doing this wrong -- instead of Synthetics, I should be talking Genetic Modifications. Chimera or just Engineered Human Variants.
I think you should determine what the being is by the method of reproduction. The definitions in the book on pg 92 at the top seem to guide well enough.
The other thing to examine, if it makes a difference to you, the Spacers and Stouts cannot breed with standard humans as humans are SDEIES, Spacers and Stouts use S and V for C3.

I think the two most common inner-system exotic atmospheres are CO2 and N2.

I don't know if there can be geneered human chimeras who can survive on, for example, a world with a CO2 or N2 primary atmosphere. The first one chemically interacts with water to form carbolic acid -- not a good idea for humans to be in full CO2 environments.

N2, meanwhile, allows water to exist, but is unbreathable and rather caustic I think. Nitrogen is potentially a breathable gas to an appropriate alien lifeform, but I'm not sure what you'd get if you combined genetics between a human and a nitrogen-breather.

I think the most common outer-system atmosphere is ammonia and/or methane. I could see things breathing that sort of air, but there's little or no advantage to any sort of human anatomy to that environment.

Ah, my "chimera" examples aren't chimera: the requirements are that their Genetic Profiles be the same. So I can't get half-humans with Vigor or Stamina. Not a difficult change to make.

Forgot about this system in T5.

Mostly do to one of my players looking it over and asking if we were going to play an Albedo style game.

Surprisingly good sci-fi despite being a "Furry" comic.

Back