• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 Sophont Review

Paranoia Press was implicitly decanonized, or at least softened, when FASA began detailing Far Frontiers with conflicting borders and regional assumptions along the common border with Vanguard Reach. The Beyond was later assumed decanonized when DGP put a very different dot map for that sector in one of their Aliens books. Whether they were assuming decanonization (The PP Beyond has some crazy stuff in it in light of later development) or were told to over-write was never established in print that I recall.

The Paranoia Press materials are on the Apocrypha CD, and I have the Chuck Kallenbach notes which repair things. See the References tab for "VRU". Also, in the recent list Marc passed to me, he explicitly listed the Sred*Ni. So Marc's at least interested in taking a second look at the materials, so they appear in the review.

You ID'd the sophonts, but is there dare I ask a full work-up of T5 stats for each of these?

Last edited:
You have the Malaach twice on your list, once under "Malaach", once under "Shassahhrhi", partly because the race is first mention in SGK1, then expanded on in SGK3.

I thought I was missing several entries from SGK, but realized the text description says "semi-sophont" or "semi-intelligent", I would put them under animals (i.e. beasts), not races (i.e. Sophonts), where you did the opposite. Specific examples are Inchok, Kiakh'iee, Mikhidians. My question would be is there a more or less canon answer to the question of which side of "semi-" should be counted?

You ID'd the sophonts, but is there dare I ask a full work-up of T5 stats for each of these?

Not yet. Something for future authors. After building the list, and checking it twice, we'll move forward.

You have the Malaach twice on your list, once under "Malaach", once under "Shassahhrhi", partly because the race is first mention in SGK1, then expanded on in SGK3.

I thought I was missing several entries from SGK, but realized the text description says "semi-sophont" or "semi-intelligent", I would put them under animals (i.e. beasts), not races (i.e. Sophonts), where you did the opposite. Specific examples are Inchok, Kiakh'iee, Mikhidians. My question would be is there a more or less canon answer to the question of which side of "semi-" should be counted?

Since the ultimate decision will be for a future author, the decision was to put them all on the list, and let them decide, rather than leave it off and it be accidentally missed in the future.

Yes, the Malaach are on there twice, because the modern group aren't recognized as connected to the extinct group. I thought I'd explained that in the Notes tab.

Two Spelling errors:

You have a race called 'Bwamps', which I have as 'Bwampb', or 'Bwampbs'. A review of the source (KU5, Gvurrdon Sector Campaignbook) confirms the latter spelling.

You have a race called 'Takashi', which I have as 'Tashaki'. A review of BTC confirms the latter spelling. .

Two Spelling errors:

You have a race called 'Bwamps', which I have as 'Bwampb', or 'Bwampbs'. A review of the source (KU5, Gvurrdon Sector Campaignbook) confirms the latter spelling.

You have a race called 'Takashi', which I have as 'Tashaki'. A review of BTC confirms the latter spelling. .

Eh? I'll blame my typing, or Microsoft's spell check :)

Some additions thanks to e-mails and discussions with folks :)

I should explain that the second mention of the Malaach was changed at the request of Jae Campbell, who has helped me figure out the population demographics of Dagudashaag for T5SS, and gave me some additional details that my readings of the SGK issues missed.

The Group One details are all in there... and the JTAS Online items now appear as well.

I'm hoping there aren't any more major additions... I want to get back to the T5SS updates.

JTAS Online articles with new alien races, but are not in your updated list

• E'chik'te - minor, location unknown, author: Eric and Ilona Funk, JO 2009/06/30
  • Ghaeth Rrzarra - Vargr culture, Antares sector, author: Paul Drye, JO 2001/05/15
  • Iishkalami - minor, Lazisar (1233 Empty Quarter), M5 V, author: Michael Brown, JO 2004/02/03
  • Isani - minor, unknown location, K5 V, author: Michael Brown, JO 2003/09/16
  • Ne Kraeda ren Kelva - minor human, Foreven Sector, author: Stuart Driver, JO 2005/05/10
  • Payans - human culture, Paya (Spinward Marches), author: Ed Wisniowski, JO 2001/03/06
  • Pinin - human chimera, Imperium, Author: Mark Gellis, JO 2010/12/28
  • Sulliji - chimera, Catacomb (Deneb 2234), author: Paul Drye, JO 2003/01/21
  • (unnamed) Thamberites - minor extinct, Thanber/Querion (SM), Author: Stu Driver, JO 2006/05/09
  • Utamway - Human culture, Sauria, location unknown, author: Eric Funk, JO 2009/06/30

Other missing races:
  • Kursae, location unknown, T5 Core Rules, page 16
  • Neiikhi - human chimera, Morian Khama (Dagudashaag 1905), SGK10
  • Selenite - human chimera, Velscur (Alpha Crucis 1530), MGT: Solomani

I think I'm done for now. And this has aggravated my carpal tunnel. I'm going back to the Trade Route project.

JTAS Online articles with new alien races, but are not in your updated list

• E'chik'te - minor, location unknown, author: Eric and Ilona Funk, JO 2009/06/30
  • Ghaeth Rrzarra - Vargr culture, Antares sector, author: Paul Drye, JO 2001/05/15
  • Iishkalami - minor, Lazisar (1233 Empty Quarter), M5 V, author: Michael Brown, JO 2004/02/03
  • Isani - minor, unknown location, K5 V, author: Michael Brown, JO 2003/09/16
  • Ne Kraeda ren Kelva - minor human, Foreven Sector, author: Stuart Driver, JO 2005/05/10
  • Payans - human culture, Paya (Spinward Marches), author: Ed Wisniowski, JO 2001/03/06
  • Pinin - human chimera, Imperium, Author: Mark Gellis, JO 2010/12/28
  • Sulliji - chimera, Catacomb (Deneb 2234), author: Paul Drye, JO 2003/01/21
  • (unnamed) Thamberites - minor extinct, Thanber/Querion (SM), Author: Stu Driver, JO 2006/05/09
  • Utamway - Human culture, Sauria, location unknown, author: Eric Funk, JO 2009/06/30

Other missing races:
  • Kursae, location unknown, T5 Core Rules, page 16
  • Neiikhi - human chimera, Morian Khama (Dagudashaag 1905), SGK10
  • Selenite - human chimera, Velscur (Alpha Crucis 1530), MGT: Solomani

I think I'm done for now. And this has aggravated my carpal tunnel. I'm going back to the Trade Route project.

Thanks. I typed "minor race" in the JTAS online search, but that obviously didn't catch everything.

For this project, homeworlds/sophont details only.

Demographics are part of T5SS when I get back to that :)

I found another one, which I didn't find on your spreadsheet.

Aion. minor/chimera, location unknown. GT:First In, in multiple sidebars.

I found another one, which I didn't find on your spreadsheet.

Aion. minor/chimera, location unknown. GT:First In, in multiple sidebars.

Minor, with no other information. We need specifics to declare something chimera. And yet another "location unknown" sophont.

Minor, with no other information. We need specifics to declare something chimera. And yet another "location unknown" sophont.

The sidebars (p84 to 90) describe the Aion as engineered with a genetic memory. A system has a single K3 star, planet orbits a gas giant just outside the normal habitual zone. The Aion apparently achieved space flight "a long time ago", probably before grandfather arose, found no other sophonts, and gave up and went home.

The sidebars (p84 to 90) describe the Aion as engineered with a genetic memory. A system has a single K3 star, planet orbits a gas giant just outside the normal habitual zone. The Aion apparently achieved space flight "a long time ago", probably before grandfather arose, found no other sophonts, and gave up and went home.

Clues in the narrative suggest a location within or close to the current Imperium, but there is no date implied other than that expressed by a full Scout organization, and one reference to "ten thousand years of space exploration and we still can't..." by one of the Scouts. Keying off of the internal dates assumed by GURPS Traveller in the first place, the Aion would be an undiscovered archeological mystery in the Golden Age, and likely not discovered until the Fourth Imperium under the Rebellion/New Era timeline. I'd almost suggest Old Expanses, but that sector already has the Schalli in a similar situation. The Delphi/Glimmerdrift border is another possibility, or the farthest Imperial spaces behind the Claw in Trojan Reach, though that conflicts with proximity to Capital implied by the tale. The actions of the Scouts early in the tale suggest a system beyond the Second Survey, but still within reach of the Emperor.

Ultimately the story is just wibbly enough to defy good placement. An era shift to early Third Imperium or Rule of Man (or even a particularly pretentious Long Night state) allows more of the tale to make sense, but creates contradictions in other elements.

And yet another "location unknown" sophont.

The large number of location unknown sophont races is partly due to the prevailing attitude by writers, especially through the T4 and GURPS era's, of not having an authority to bless these kinds of additions, and not having a consistent and useful stellar data set with which to make decisions.

But now that we have the authority to bless additions (or remove them), and a good stellar data set, these issues can be resolved.

And I agree, the Aion would work well on the Delphi/Glimmerdirift border

Khermi (Thorstone / Glimmerdrift Reaches 1003) - This works close enough. K5 primary. Gas giant. Main world isn't habitable. Amber Zone.

This thread was not intended for "let's place the location unknown" sophonts. This project was to list them all together so Marc could decide which ones to keep and which ones to eliminate.

"Wanderers"

I am not sure if it is too late to mention this or not, but I just happened to be looking over the T5 Sophont Review Spreadsheet, and noticed the entry for "Wanderers". The entry seems to conflate several different races associated with the same name.

(CAVEAT: I do not believe I own a copy of "Gateway Domain Campaign Adventure 1: Homecoming" (GDHC), so I am ignorant of any information that might be contained in that document on p.30-33).

1) In MegaTraveller Journal #4 (MTJ4), p.56-57, 64-67, and esp p.70 (Droashav Origins), The "G'naak" of K'kree legend are identified as the "Droashav" currently living on Trevannic in the Gateway Domain. Their name means "Wanderers", which is derived from their wandering travel on their hollowed-out STL-asteroid ships.

2) In MJD's Gateway to Destiny (GtD), p.37-38, an "insectoid" species called the "Wanderers" is detailed. Their ships are described as follows:
The Wanderers entered the Gateway region around year 320 after crossing the Lesser Rift in their Worldships. These Worldships are gigantic non-jump-capable vessels, each home to a large (the actual size is unknown) community of Wanderers. From the Worldships, Jump-capable vessels range across the region, trading and visiting various worlds. The Wanderers have set up a number of small enclaves on various worlds, from which they conduct trade. Humans are very rarely invited into these enclaves.
But GtD also mentions the Droashav in an independent entry on p. 26, so the "Wanderers" of GtD are not the same as the Droashav "Wanderers", despite the similarities in name and description of method of STL-travel.

3) TMg Minor Alien Module 1: Luriani (MGL) mentions the Wurlana of Daramm as "Wanderers" on p.40-41. They are wanderers on the seas of Daramm primarily, and on STL-asteroid ships later, but the Wurlana are Luriani, not a separate minor race. It also mentions the Kaski (cited in the T5 Spreadsheet "Wanderers" entry - MGL20) as a race to whom the early Luriani gave the secret of Jump Drive, but the Kaski of p.20 are never called Wanderers, and are described as follows:
The Kaski were a militant minor race in the adjacent Empty Quarter sector and considered a much greater threat than the Luriani. The Vilani campaign to absorb Kaski was bungled, the first fleet sent to achieve the task lost due to incompetence. Eventually, the Vilani defeated and absorbed the Kaski, but the damage to Vilani prestige had been heavy.
I know nothing of the World entry for Ansenz/Antares2425, but I see from TravellerMap that it is identified as a Kaski dieback world.

The Kaski should probably have their own entry under their own name (with the Ansenz/Antares2425 and Empty Quarter world/location info), and the MGL 20 reference, with no connection to Wanderers.

The Droashav should probably have "Wanderers" added to the "Other Names" column under the Droashav entry, and the insectoid "Wanderers" of GtD p.37-38 should probably be the primary race identified as Wanderers on the spreadsheet (i.e. remove the Kaski reference and the Ansenz/Antares2425 world origin and remove the MGL20 reference. I do not know what the GDHC 30-33 reference details, as I do not have that document.

Last edited:
When I click on it, I get a zip file, which opens to an xlsx file.

Perhaps if I just posted the spreadsheet instead of being clever and putting it in a zip file?

There is less call to .zip things these days, as memory capacities and transmission speeds are through the roof. It's only good for saving multiple files in their original folder/directory relationships. :)

Back