• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Terraforming in 2300AD

rfmcdpei

SOC-12
In the canonical 2300AD setting, the only worlds which have been terraformed into human habitability are Sans Souci and Nous Voila on the French Arm and Ellis on the American Arm. That strikes me as odd. Hochbaden and Dunkelheim elsewhere on the French Arm could also be good candidates, while on the Chinese Arm, worlds like Gerollblock in the DM-56 328 system (more Earth-like in its physical characteristics than Heidelsheimat, but unfortunately in the middle of a sterilizing asteroid belt), Dukou at Epilson Eridani, the unusually uninhabitable Pedro co-orbiting with garden world Paulo at Procyon, and the gas giant moon Syun at Zeta Tucanae, which already has a thin nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere. On the American Arm, the planet Dawes is located one orbit out from King but is still in the outer life zone and could potentially by much more Earth-like than King. In the Core, finally, Mars at Sol and Limbes orbiting Alpha Centauri B are also candidates. There are almost certainly other worlds, located in planetary systems never described in the Colonial Atlas or other sources, which might also be transformed.

There are good reasons that terraforming hasn't touched any of these worlds. Including the costs of life support, it would be much more inexpensive to set up a colony on a fully Earth-like world, even if it's a relatively inhospitable one like Cold Mountain or Aurore. Lost Hochbaden is a partial exception, but it was built by Bavaria specifically as a showcase colony for which money would presumably not have been an issue. More, the three worlds which were/are being terraformed were at worst marginally post-garden, either heavily glaciated or desertified. Of the worlds that I named above, Dunkelheim (desertified), Dawes (glaciated) and Syun (which I'm guessing is desertified) are the only worlds that come close to meeting these criteria. Combine these economic and technological issues with the fact that many of these systems were colonized only recently and are still lightly populated, and you've got a pretty good explanation for the lack of ongoing terraforming.

It isn't a perfect one, though. The world of Syun is located in the middle of the long-settled Delta Pavonis-Beta Hydri-Zeta Tucanae-Rho Eridani-82 Eridani corridor, and apparently supports a sufficiently complex biosphere sufficiently complex to produce a barely breathable atmosphere. Dawes is heavily glaciated and apparently lifeless, but the King system has been settled for a century and Dawes seems to be much more potentially Earthlike than King could ever be. In the Core, meanwhile, the established stutterwarp powers with their extrasolar holdings might have little reason to invest in costly programs close to home, but nations which lost out in the great game try to do whatever they could with the worlds that none of the larger powers had bothered to claim.

There is plenty of room for more terraforming in 2300AD, whether implicitly in as in canonical sources or explicitly in a variant timeline. It could be something as simple as Indonesia working on Mars or INAP activity on Limbes, or the efforts of a Chinese Arm power (Manchuria, Canton, Japan ...) to make Syun more attractive, or the beginnings of a great American project to transform Dawes into a garden world. The numerous adventuring possibilities for people associated with massively complex activities operating on a scale of a planet if not an entire planetary system can best be left to the reader's imagination.

Terraforming is a fun issue. Anybody interested ought to look up Martyn Fogg's book Terraforming - it has lots of useful information about how hard it is. For game purposes we can of course ignore all the really hard parts and just handwave that the methods work better (and especially faster), at least for the simple cases.

I think that would be the key issue of terraforming: some planets are relatively easy to push over from one state to another. Nous Voila for example was kept cold by the high ice sheet albedo, but once it thawed up a bit dark oceans and lakes emerged that began to heat it up more. I would also assume the existence of a whole cloud of automated solettas that reflect extra sunlight onto the planet - one reason it is now de-terraforming is simply that the Kafers used them for target practice.

Some of the "obvious" targets might not be suitable for terraforming because of rather subtle problems. I have looked into terraforming Mars quite deeply for another setting, and it seems doable but a lot of hard work. Not only does the planet need to be heated so the permafrost and locked-in carbon dioxide is released (I would go for albedo reducing dust, solettas and massive amounts of super greenhouse gases) but we need to add a lot of extra water to make it really liveable (Freeman Dyson's idea of self-replicating machines dismantling a Saturn moon seems nice to me, but outside 2320 tech). Then there is a need to build canals in order to prevent water build-up in the southern uplands, and that will require BIG engineering (I assumed the use of the very cool cylindrical terraforming nuclear bombs mentioned in Fogg's book). Once the warming process is underway there is going to be pretty massive changes in the landscape, causing landslides and flooding as well as tricky weather patterns. You don't want a Martian global dust storm in the middle of the process - it could crash it or perhaps establish a new, nasty equilibrium. Spreading life across the soil-less desert is another very tricky effort, which I solved using many engineered species). Even with megaengineering and nanotech in my optimistic scenario this process took centuries.

I would argue that glacial planets are easier to thaw than desert planets are to water. It is not so much an issue of how the planet looks as what resources are locally available and whether they can be released in some self-reinforcing form.

Kimanjano and Kie-Yuma are in my opinion two of the easiest worlds to terraform: just implant cyanobacteria in the oceans and watch them eat the carbon dioxide. In fact, I expect this to already have happened deliberately or accidentally (don't tell NARL!). Just don't let them fix too much nitrogen so you end up with nitric acid oceans, or deplete the greenhouse gases so the planet freezes. As the banded iron formations show, the real process was quite slow and might actually have frozen earth a few times.

I think the 2300AD explanation of the rarity of terraforming might just be expense: even the ultra-fast (compared to above) terraforming that can be done requires manufacturing gigatonnes of albedo-dust, planet-wide civil engineering, atmosphere converter megabuildings and flotillas of solettas. France and Trilon Corp can afford it on a good day.

Terraforming is a fun issue. Anybody interested ought to look up Martyn Fogg's book Terraforming - it has lots of useful information about how hard it is. For game purposes we can of course ignore all the really hard parts and just handwave that the methods work better (and especially faster), at least for the simple cases.

I think that would be the key issue of terraforming: some planets are relatively easy to push over from one state to another. Nous Voila for example was kept cold by the high ice sheet albedo, but once it thawed up a bit dark oceans and lakes emerged that began to heat it up more. I would also assume the existence of a whole cloud of automated solettas that reflect extra sunlight onto the planet - one reason it is now de-terraforming is simply that the Kafers used them for target practice.

In the past, Nous Voila was warm enough to possibly host an indigenous sentient species; Sans Souci seems to have been less

::deletia re: Mars::

Was your Mars research for The Final Countdown?

Kimanjano and Kie-Yuma are in my opinion two of the easiest worlds to terraform: just implant cyanobacteria in the oceans and watch them eat the carbon dioxide. In fact, I expect this to already have happened deliberately or accidentally (don't tell NARL!).

"Oh well, we accidentally exterminated the local biosphere. We may as well do what we can to make it Earth-like with nothing in our way now."

I think the 2300AD explanation of the rarity of terraforming might just be expense: even the ultra-fast (compared to above) terraforming that can be done requires manufacturing gigatonnes of albedo-dust, planet-wide civil engineering, atmosphere converter megabuildings and flotillas of solettas. France and Trilon Corp can afford it on a good day.

Maybe also the United States and Manchuria? Germany might also have been able to do if it hadn't lost the core of the Bavarian holdings to separatists and the far French Arm to the Kafer War.

Hmm. Might the big powers be getting ready to now look into terraforming? Pre-Kafer Nous Voila was a major success story, as spokespeople could point out, and the immense expenditures for research and construction could be, well, politically quite useful.

Was your Mars research for The Final Countdown?

No, it was for "Land of the Ten Suns", a multi-campaign setting I really ought to put completely on-line. About a thousand year of history among the inhabitants of Mars, including everything from the etiquette of spices among Xanthian nobles (for heaven's sake, never put saffron on the blue water slices!) to the religious politics of the Bioists to the genetics of fur colour. And while the Martians busied themselves about their various concerns they were (perhaps) scrutinised and studied by the posthumans in the Dyson sphere dominating the evening sky...

Maybe also the United States and Manchuria? Germany might also have been able to do if it hadn't lost the core of the Bavarian holdings to separatists and the far French Arm to the Kafer War.

Hmm. Might the big powers be getting ready to now look into terraforming? Pre-Kafer Nous Voila was a major success story, as spokespeople could point out, and the immense expenditures for research and construction could be, well, politically quite useful.

I think once the methods have been proven they would become cheaper. But the first few terraformings would be breaking new ground and be very expensive. So both the US and Manchuria can likely do it, but they might not have any planets suitable for that particular method. If they found a Nous Voila-like or Ellis-like world they might go for it.

No, it was for "Land of the Ten Suns", a multi-campaign setting I really ought to put completely on-line. About a thousand year of history among the inhabitants of Mars, including everything from the etiquette of spices among Xanthian nobles (for heaven's sake, never put saffron on the blue water slices!) to the religious politics of the Bioists to the genetics of fur colour. And while the Martians busied themselves about their various concerns they were (perhaps) scrutinised and studied by the posthumans in the Dyson sphere dominating the evening sky...

A Dyson Sphere inside of Mars' orbit? How did Mars avoid a permanent solar eclipse?

I think once the methods have been proven they would become cheaper. But the first few terraformings would be breaking new ground and be very expensive. So both the US and Manchuria can likely do it, but they might not have any planets suitable for that particular method. If they found a Nous Voila-like or Ellis-like world they might go for it.

That's an idea.

A Dyson Sphere inside of Mars' orbit? How did Mars avoid a permanent solar eclipse?

Dyson spheres are not solid objects, so it is possible to arrange orbits or just tilt big solar collectors so that Mars gets sunlight. This is all regulated by the Cruithne Accord, essentially the last joint political decision of the solar system. If the posthumans ever forget or just stop caring, things would soon turn nasty and dark.

In this setting Mercury, Venus, most asteroids and several outer planet moons and Kuiper belt objects were used by the Dyson inhabitants. Earth and the Moon was left as a nature preserve (reputed to be inhabited by luddites), Mars was left to terraform on its own and the rest of the system... who knows? In the core campaign Mars was a roughly renaissance/steampunk society with no space capability. I might run a future campaign set a bit in the "future", dealing with the Martian space race. Who will be the first Martian to land on Earth?

For terraforming, there is nothing more useful than self-replicating machines that build solar reflectors and accelerate ice chunks to fill your ocean beds. I think 2300AD robotics is almost at the point where simple replicators could be built. That might launch a very nasty arms race...

Back