• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Non OTU: Terran Imperial Monopolies

Golan2072

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award
The basis of my Terran Empire is that of Imperial Monopolies - each of the nine Great Houses has an Imperial Patent granting it with a monopoly over one good which is crucial for interstellar civilization; even the Emperor himself agrees to buy these goods from the Great Houses (as each is the sole legal manufacturer of that particular good). In essence the "technocratic feudal" arrangement IMTU in the Terran Empire is that the Emperor grants the nine Major Houses with monopolies allowing them to rake massive profits; in return, they must raise a military force of a certain size which may be called forth by the Emperor at his discretion, up to 36 months in a decade, and pay a flat 20% of their monopoly revenues to the Emperor. They also get the right to rule their domains - one Subsector per Great House with the Emperor directly ruling the tenth Sub sector (the Empire is 3x3 Subsectors).

What I would like help for is ideas for goods to be monopolize; one major good per Great House. The ideas I had so far were Jump Drives (House Solana), "positronic" high-order robot brains (House Chiang), and Battledresses and other forms of powered armor (House Taylor). I have six (actually seven if you include the Imperial Household) more houses to assign monopolies to:

House Nakamura
House Bergman
House Kozlov
House Dahari
House Mehra
House Rasheed

And the Imperial Household - House Durnhal

I was thinking about granting a monopoly on banking (or just investment banking?) to the Imperial Household, but I'm not sure if that's too extreme or not.

Keep in mind that worlds should be able to produce the basics of survival (food, shelter, water, clothing, air, filters [and other survival equipment)], spare parts for life-supporting infrastructure etc.). So these aren't monopolized - the Empire does not engage in hydraulic despotism per se.

In addition to these Imperial Patent monopolies over certain goods, they also have privileged access to technology. At TL15 - the tech level of the Imperial Golden Age - only the Great Houses were allowed to own ships with drives Q-U (and thus 3,000-3,999 dton ships or fast 1,000 dton ships) and only the Imperial Household was allowed to own ships with drives V-Z (and thus 4,000-dton or bigger ships and fast big ships. Only the Great Houses and the Imperial Household were allowed to equip their troops with Battledresses.

What do you think?

Nifty idea.

Instead of banking per se, interstellar funds transfers between banks and/or worlds. Given a user fee of 0.01%, they could be making quite a bundle.

One of them should have a monopoly on the interstellar transport of intoxicants.
One should be naval weapons.
One could have an anagathics monopoly.
One could have the TAS as a business.

Some could be tax-concession non-monopolies. EG: one makes their money on taxing interstellar media, another recreational intoxicants, and another spices, as they come through the starports. Several could be granted interstellar license concessions - Doctors, skilled space crews, university accreditation, civil engineering and architecture, CPAs, etc.

Licensing Mercenaries, lawyers, and Judges probably should be the imperial house's retained exclusives.

And one could be the starport authority. All imperial ports are staffed by them.

You probably have to grant extraterritoriality for each enclave a Great House constructs on each world, in order to facilitate trade of their respective monopolies.

Are Lesser Houses bound up with one of the Greater, or do they survive along the cracks, margins and fringes?

Sounds like an unholy mix of CHOAM nobility/fiefdom houses and the Corporations from Rollerball.

Got six corps from Rollerball-

Luxury
Communications
Energy
Transportation
Food
Housing

So, six of your nine.

Just off the top of my head, additional critical functions-

Medical
Security (LE AND ground armed forces)
Education

Finance, Law and Navy/Marines would seem to be good Imperial House reserved powers.

Plenty of conflict built-in even with a competitive/cooperative arrangement- who owns genetic engineering for instance, Food or Medical, with side interests possibly in Housing Energy and Luxury?

From Jack Vance's Emphyrio we have (from memory)

Power & Water
Communication & Entertainment
Disposal & Recycling
Transport
Trade
Tourist Service
Proctective Service (Police)

Hans

My thoughts so far on the Monopolies:

House Solana - Jump Drives. They are also the Emperor's Own Shipbuilders (the Emperor buys ships only from them)
House Chiang - "Positronic" Robot Brains. Also a major electronics company.
House Taylor - Powered Armour. They are also the Emperor's Own Armorers.
House Nakamura - Anagathics. Major pharmaceutical company.
House Bergman - Fusion Reactors (which are usually self-contained units).
House Kozlov - Energy weapons and naval weapons.
House Dahari - Gravitics. Biggest vehicle manufacturer.
House Mehra - Nuclear dampers and other ship/planetary defensive screens.
House Rasheed - Operating systems and starship software.

Imperial Household (House Durnhal) - Banking (miss your starship mortgage payment and face the Emperor's wrath!)

Of course for at least half of these you could get "Imperial Certified" spare parts from the Cicek or the Zhuzz at half the price, but caveat emptor.

Anything else has no monopoly and may be openly manufactured and traded by anyone.

superconducting tech would be a good one. it would be very valuable in just about all high tech gear (ships, battledress, computing. etc) but it could be worked around at some cost and loss of capability. (as per your "no hydraulic despotism" line)

I would also add meson weaponry to the list of imperial only techs (so that the Imperial fleet always has that edge over everyone else, as well as keeping it out of the players reach).

Back