• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Congress of Arden

rancke

Absent Friend
Over on the SJG boards a mention of the Congress of Vienna gave me the notion that it, or a Fantasy or SF version thereof, would make a wonderful multi-player scenario for a convention.

So for the last couple of days I've been sketching out an outline for a major convention event based on a Traveller version of the Congress of Vienna.

As usual when I post these ideas here on CotI anyone is welcome to use them in part or in whole for any legitimate Traveller purpose, including work for pay. Though I'd appreciate an acknowledgement and a comp. ;)

So with that out of the way, let's get to the main event:

In a universe not so very far from the OTU, but still with some significant differences, the Fifth Frontier War is coming to an end. The Zhodani managed to capture Rhylanor before Imperial reinforcements stopped any chance of further gains. An armistice is in place and from every corner of the Marches and beyond, diplomats and statesmen are converging on Arden, the host of the upcoming peace negotiations. The Congress of Arden is about to begin!

Major Players

The Imperial Peace Delegation headed by the Duke of Lunion (appointed by Sector Duchess Delphine, who is too frail to go herself). The other members are the Duke of Rhylanor, anxious to regain Rhylanor, the jewel in his crown, and Sector Admiral Lord Frederick Santanocheev (played by an assistant referee as a major doofus?).

The Zhodani Peace Delegation, also three man strong, headed by a fairly neutral person supported by a Hawk and a Dove.

Medium Players

(Mostly two-man delegations)

The Sword Worlders

The Darrians

The Federation of Arden

The 40th Squadron (Note: Unlike in the OTU, one or two 40Sq worlds are of significant population and tech level -- enough to actually be a thorn in the Imperium's side).

The Thoengling Empire

The Commonality of Kedzudh (Also revised to make a modicum of sense).

The Worlds of Leader Rukh.

The Avalar Consulate

Minor Players

(Mostly single delegates)

The Weltbund Government in Exile

12 year old Seldrian Countess Aledon representing her missing father, Duke Norris.

Braan Dilgadin, Seneschal to the missing Duke Norris, anxious to secure a regency for Seldrian Aledon (rather than the duchy going to someone else, which is a very real possibility).

Countess Josephine of Efate, ranking noble of the Duchy of Regina in the absence of her missing cousin Duke Norris. Possible successor to the duchy. Will she back her half cousin or work for her own advantage?

22 year old Dame Birgitte Aledon, representing her grandmother Countess Rachel Aledon, Duke Norris' 76 year old aunt and closest eligible adult relative.

Audine Aledon Garhik, recently appointed Marquis of of Vincennes and Count of Perez and Eriris [sic]. He would be Rachel Aledon's heir to the duchy if he didn't have his current title already. As it is, he has a lot of clout and no major interest in the outcome. Unless he decides that trading a county for a duchy some time in the future is an attractive possibility.

Several other Imperial nobles from the Duchy of Regina (All the high counts -- Salak of Jewell, Fernando of Vilis, Ursula of Rethe, Evan of Roup, Enoch of Heya, [Count of Dinomn], [Count of Enope]).

Representatives of a dozen worlds whose future depends on what the major players decide: Regina, Efate, Roup, Jewell, Vilis, Rhylanor, Sacnoth, Gram, Narsil, Mire, Darrian, Entrope (one from each side of the neverending civil war),

As many secretaries and guards as the referees can handle. None of them are spies or secret agents, of course.

Complications

The Duke of Regina has been missing for three years. Both Seldrian Countess Aledon and Countess Josephine of Efate claims to speak for the Duchy of Regina. Who will the other delegates listen to? Both? Neither? And is one of all those minions a disguised duke with an Imperial Warrant in his pocket? Is another of the minions a Special Envoy of the Emperor with another warrant in HIS pocket?

The Senate of the Duchy of Regina is a purely advisory body that just gives the duchy's notables a voice in duchy affair. With the duke missing and a lot the notables assembled on Arden, the Senate is going to take the opportunity to decide on a reccomendation for the Emperor on how to handle the situation. Such a resolution has absolutely no legal effect, but it's not inconceivable that the Emperor will base his decision on it. Each notable from the DoR has a number of proxy votes in the Senate and will have a senate session late in the event where a vote will be taken. Before that one or more resolutions must be discussed and drafted and support for them gathered.

Before and during the war some of the Duchy of Regina's notable became involved in a Zhodani-inspired conspiracy to turn the duchy into a neutral buffer state between the Consulate and the Imperium. The Zhodani plan was to capture Rhylanor and as many other worlds as they could and trade them back to the Imperium in return for Imperial acceptance of such a development. The conspirators are supposed to gather enough support to turn the duchy into a republic (run by a select group of notables, of course). During the Congress the conspirators must get their ducks in a row and send off the signal for the Revolution to begin.

Formerly Neutral-on-the-side-of-the-Zhodani Arden is hovering on the brink of a pro-Imperial revolution. The government is desperately trying to keep the lid on. What are the odds that the revolution will begin while the Congress is on Arden?

Game mechanic: Each character has a certain amount of unspecified political influence (Expressed as a number). They also have private, equally unspecified, political goals for which they want to line up support. Some just want as much as they can get, others want a specific amount. Players can pledge their support to other players as payment for support with issues before the Congress.​
Comments, criticisms, ideas?

Hans

Last edited:
I'd play!

I like it, but I wish to see more Adventures slanted toward power players and not scrappy Free Traders and scruffy Scouts.

I would love to be a fly on the wall for that gathering! Are the conference chairs squeaky, and is there a Hiver off to the side with a bottle of 3-in-1 oil and a sector-wide development plan in his back pocket? :D

Rhylanor?! Heck no! We're 8 billion strong and TL15! I'm starting an underground movement - let's just see those mindreaders try to police 8 billion minds. By the time that conference is over, they'll be happy to pay the Imperium to take this world back!

Rhylanor?! Heck no! We're 8 billion strong and TL15! I'm starting an underground movement - let's just see those mindreaders try to police 8 billion minds. By the time that conference is over, they'll be happy to pay the Imperium to take this world back!

This is obviously a YMMV issue. My take arose from wondering why the Zhodani were trying so hard to capture Rhylanor in the first place, as I didn't see any way at all that the Imperium would let them keep it nor any way they could realistically keep it in the long run. So why bother trying at all, as they quite obviously were trying very hard? The answer I came up with was that the Zhos wanted it as a bargaining chip, to return it peacefully in exchange for concessions elsewhere. So obviously they thought that they could hold it long enough to get some use out of possessing it. Their plan to turn Regina into a neutral buffer state seems a plausible one given their basic goal of keeping the Imperium at bay. (Plausible insofar as they might have such a plan; not necessarily insofar as the plan itself was likely to succeed ;)).

Hans

This is obviously a YMMV issue. My take arose from wondering why the Zhodani were trying so hard to capture Rhylanor in the first place, as I didn't see any way at all that the Imperium would let them keep it nor any way they could realistically keep it in the long run. So why bother trying at all, as they quite obviously were trying very hard? The answer I came up with was that the Zhos wanted it as a bargaining chip, to return it peacefully in exchange for concessions elsewhere. So obviously they thought that they could hold it long enough to get some use out of possessing it. Their plan to turn Regina into a neutral buffer state seems a plausible one given their basic goal of keeping the Imperium at bay. (Plausible insofar as they might have such a plan; not necessarily insofar as the plan itself was likely to succeed ;)).Hans

Hi,

Whilst I agree with the Zhodani war aims, I'm not so sure the Impies would stop fighting and accept an armistice just as their reinforcements turned up.
Now if the Zho capture Rhylanor and defeat the Corridor Fleet at say Jae Tellona as well....

Regards

David

Whilst I agree with the Zhodani war aims, I'm not so sure the Impies would stop fighting and accept an armistice just as their reinforcements turned up.
Once the Zhodani capture Rhylanor, getting it back by force of arms involves messing it up in a major way. It's not that the Imperium can't take it back; it's that Duchess Delphine and Lord Admiral Santanocheev doesn't have the political will to deal with the inevitable consequences.

Of course, at the negotiating table going back to war is always an option if the Zhodani demands turn out to be unacceptable.

Now if the Zho capture Rhylanor and defeat the Corridor Fleet at say Jae Tellona as well....
Oh, I'm sure Santanocheev will be able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory more than once and I've been thinking about giving the Zhos a few more bargaining chips, like Jewell and Efate. After all, the purpose is to create as many interesting features for an LARP event as possible (I'm only sorry I can't think of a way to get Aslans involved :rolleyes:), not to come up with the very most plausible historical events. That's the main reason I'm proposing setting it in an alternate universe.

Hans

My take arose from wondering why the Zhodani were trying so hard to capture Rhylanor in the first place, as I didn't see any way at all that the Imperium would let them keep it nor any way they could realistically keep it in the long run.

Actually, in DonM's MgT Alien Races 4: Zhodani, that question is at least partially answered: There is a (large) Ancient's device in the Rhylanor System that Tozjabr operatives in deep cover had discovered during/after the 4th Frontier War. The Zho's have a "matching component" that controls it (based on another example of one that they do have), and the Imperials do not know about it (or at the very least do not understand what it is if they do).

Actually, in DonM's MgT Alien Races 4: Zhodani, that question is at least partially answered: There is a (large) Ancient's device in the Rhylanor System that Tozjabr operatives in deep cover had discovered during/after the 4th Frontier War.

If that's the motive, they must have discovered it a good deal earlier. The Zhos tried hard to conquer Rhylanor during the 3rd Frontier War and came close to succeeding.

Be that as it may, my take was formed many years before Don wrote MgT:Zhodani. I can't help it if he got it wrong. All he had to do was ask. ;)

The Zho's have a "matching component" that controls it (based on another example of one that they do have), and the Imperials do not know about it (or at the very least do not understand what it is if they do).
I see. The Ancient who happened to built the thing on Rhylanor also happened to move into Zhodani territory(-to-be) and build another one just like it (Ancients each create their own technology, remember?). And despite the fact that the Rhylanorians don't know about its existence, it is nevertheless so well guarded that nothing less than a full-scale invasion and takeover of Rhylanor will give the Zhos access to it?

I think I'll stick to the Ancient terraforming complex on Rhylanor from MT2 in MTU.

Hans

... I've been thinking about giving the Zhos a few more bargaining chips, like Jewell and Efate. ...

They take Rhylanor but not Jewell?? Yeah, definitely if you're going to say Rhylanor fell, then Jewell and Efate should be in their hands as well. Even leaving aside the ease with which Jewell falls in the board game, I can't see a salient that remote managing to hold out, not if we're going to say the bad guys were capable of intruding deep into Imperial space and taking a TL15 world of 8 billion.

The Rhylanor thrust was a risky and ultimately doomed move. It is a "bridge too far," and I think you're right that the Imperials could have dislodged them with ease. However, I also think you're right that there's a lack of will to risk the economic consequences of such a battle. Rhylanor at TL15 with its 8 billion is a critical resource for the Imperial Navy. The next best sources of TL15 parts and equipment is 10 parsecs further off in Mora and then 22-23 parsecs away at Trin and Glisten; taking Rhylanor deprives the Marches of almost a quarter of their supplies of TL15 equipment, not to mention the supply point closest to the front. Even beseiging Rhylanor means great difficulty supplying the Navy with the parts it needs to maintain and repair ships fighting in the coreward sectors, and if they decide to bombard Rhylanor's industries from orbit, it means problems for years while those industries are rebuilt. The Zho can in essence hold Rhylanor hostage, demanding a hefty ransom to return her intact.

After all, the purpose is to create as many interesting features for an LARP event as possible (I'm only sorry I can't think of a way to get Aslans involved :rolleyes:), not to come up with the very most plausible historical events. That's the main reason I'm proposing setting it in an alternate universe.

well, if it's not the OTU, why not have a alsan clan move into the imperium at some point, say during the Civil War ("look, keep the subsector quiet and you can have the damm planet!"), or as auxilia hired by the imperium? or even just have a the Hireate send a few observers to the event to see if thiers room for some wheeler-dealing?

After all, this is explictly a gathering of major players, it would make sense a few extras would turn up for appeances sake.

And despite the fact that the Rhylanorians don't know about its existence, it is nevertheless so well guarded that nothing less than a full-scale invasion and takeover of Rhylanor will give the Zhos access to it?

FWIW, the object is "significantly larger than 35000 dtons", and looks like veined-rock. I don't remember if it is buried on Rhylanor or somewhere else in the system. The Zhos have the controller for the device (and one other [smaller] example of said device).

The Zhos want it for its possible use in ameliorating the effects of the oncoming Empress Wave (which they know about from the Core Expeditions).

After all, the purpose is to create as many interesting features for an LARP event as possible (I'm only sorry I can't think of a way to get Aslans involved :rolleyes:), not to come up with the very most plausible historical events. That's the main reason I'm proposing setting it in an alternate universe. Hans

How about an Aslan military Advisor as part of the Darrian delegation?
Possibly without a Psi-Shield and thinking about detonating one of their sun exploding devices in Zhodani space (if they have them in the ATU)...

Regards

David

I see. The Ancient who happened to built the thing on Rhylanor also happened to move into Zhodani territory(-to-be) and build another one just like it (Ancients each create their own technology, remember?). And despite the fact that the Rhylanorians don't know about its existence, it is nevertheless so well guarded that nothing less than a full-scale invasion and takeover of Rhylanor will give the Zhos access to it?
Hans

The Zho know about the effects of the empress wave from the 7th core expedition, the ancients device they have controls human minds in a 100 parsec area, they theorise with the one on Rhylanor they can negate the effects of the empress wave, they can't trust the impies so they have to capture Rhylanor. What's not to love about the scenario? (Also explains driving on Rhylanor before the border worlds were secured).

Regard

David

Actually, in DonM's MgT Alien Races 4: Zhodani, that question is at least partially answered: There is a (large) Ancient's device in the Rhylanor System that Tozjabr operatives in deep cover had discovered during/after the 4th Frontier War. The Zho's have a "matching component" that controls it (based on another example of one that they do have), and the Imperials do not know about it (or at the very least do not understand what it is if they do).

If that's the motive, they must have discovered it a good deal earlier. The Zhos tried hard to conquer Rhylanor during the 3rd Frontier War and came close to succeeding.

Be that as it may, my take was formed many years before Don wrote MgT:Zhodani. I can't help it if he got it wrong. All he had to do was ask. ;)

I think I'll stick to the Ancient terraforming complex on Rhylanor from MT2 in MTU.

Hans

The Zho know about the effects of the empress wave from the 7th core expedition, the ancients device they have controls human minds in a 100 parsec area, they theorise with the one on Rhylanor they can negate the effects of the empress wave, they can't trust the impies so they have to capture Rhylanor. What's not to love about the scenario? (Also explains driving on Rhylanor before the border worlds were secured).

Regard

David

If we accept the existence of the device(s), then that explains the Frontier Wars in toto. The Zhodani want the device on Rhylanor, and have (in their typical long-view way) been trying to manipulate the situation in the Marches to facilitate their acquiring it.

Which puts a wrinkle in the Congress scenario - the Zho's will likely give away everything that does not compromise their hold on Rhylanor, all the while trying to avoid giving their game away.

Now, if you ignore the existence of the device(s), then it all becomes fog again. :)

... Which puts a wrinkle in the Congress scenario - the Zho's will likely give away everything that does not compromise their hold on Rhylanor, all the while trying to avoid giving their game away. ...

Hmmm -

So, all I and my fellow members of the underground have to do is locate this artifact - AND DESTROY IT! :devil:

Hmmm -

So, all I and my fellow members of the underground have to do is locate this artifact - AND DESTROY IT! :devil:

Some of those Ancient artifacts are pretty tough - you may have to haul it to the local equivalent of Mount Doom - or maybe a trajectory into the local star...

If we accept the existence of the device(s), then that explains the Frontier Wars in toto. The Zhodani want the device on Rhylanor, and have (in their typical long-view way) been trying to manipulate the situation in the Marches to facilitate their acquiring it.
If the Imperials don't know about the artifact and you gave me the budget for a single frontier war, I'm pretty sure I could come up with a way to acquire anything small enough to move at all. Without having to fight a war.

Mind you, I have no particular scheme in mind. I just think that interstellar wars cost a lot of money and money is a most powerful tool. So as long as the Imperial don't know about the artifact and pour money into guarding it, it should be possible to acquire it on the q.t..

Hans

Ah, the simple Imperials...

Which puts a wrinkle in the Congress scenario - the Zho's will likely give away everything that does not compromise their hold on Rhylanor, all the while trying to avoid giving their game away.

Now, if you ignore the existence of the device(s), then it all becomes fog again. :)
No long view in the Imperials eye and that is good since it shields long plans from their own short sightedness. The Zhodane can do very well waiting and trying again some other time. They plan for centuries, look at the Core Expeditions. They might give up a lot to keep the Imperium from learning of the device's existence, I would if I was them. Fight tooth and nail to keep Rhylanor, but make it seem as if we wish to maintain a deep foothold in their Frontier without ever revealing our true reason. Plus folks forget, barter, bargaining and story telling have always been part of the superior Zhodani culture. :devil:

A motley assortment of ex-service personal, newly redundant or retired, are sitting around a table in a star port bar on Rhylanor. They are swapping stories of past glories when their bragging is interrupted by a rather attractive well dressed woman shouting for help.

She is:
1- being lead to the door by two obvious thug types
2- kneeling beside the crumpled body of her diner guest
3 - etc

She is an academic researching the location of...

Would the group like a job, it can only pay...

Shouldn't take long for the Zho agents yo get their PC patsies to find the device and get it off world :)

Back