• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Domains of the Archdukes

Only two of the Rebellion powers were actual Archdukes: Brzk and Norris. (And Norris' was based on a forgery.)

Craig and Margaret were "only" Dukes. Craig was under the Domain of Ilelish, and Margaret under Sylea.

Originally posted by daryen:
Just for completeness, the canonical list of Domains, as published in the MT Ref Manual, are: (snip)
Thank you Daryen! And the original poster's question is now answered. Viz:

- Deneb, Norris(1)
- Vland, Ishuggi
- Antares, Brzk
- Sylea, Lucan(2)
- Gateway, Tranian
- Ilelish, Dulinor
- Sol, Adair

Dulinor forfeits his archducal title or promotes himself to the next level depending on how you look at it. Tranian and Adair remain loyal, Tranian out of stupidity and Adair because he has no other choice. Brzk, Ishuggi, and Norris all eventually break with the Imperium, each for different reasons and each at different times. Lucan remains the only 3I archduke, besides also being an emperor and a very naughty boy.

Have fun,
Bill

1 - Via self appointment retroactively confirmed by Strephon at Usdiki who was retroactively confrimed as the actual Emperor! ;)

2 - Via 'self appointment' also if Lt. Windhook's story is true!

Just for completeness, the canonical list of Domains, as published in the MT Ref Manual, are: (snip)

- Deneb, Norris(1)
- Vland, Ishuggi
- Antares, Brzk
- Sylea, Lucan(2)
- Gateway, Tranian
- Ilelish, Dulinor
- Sol, Adair

Dulinor forfeits his archducal title or promotes himself to the next level depending on how you look at it. Tranian and Adair remain loyal, Tranian out of stupidity and Adair because he has no other choice. Brzk, Ishuggi, and Norris all eventually break with the Imperium, each for different reasons and each at different times. Lucan remains the only 3I archduke, besides also being an emperor and a very naughty boy.

Have fun,
Bill

1 - Via self appointment retroactively confirmed by Strephon at Usdiki who was retroactively confrimed as the actual Emperor! ;)

- Deneb, Norris(1)
- Vland, Ishuggi
- Antares, Brzk
- Sylea, Lucan(2)
- Gateway, Tranian
- Ilelish, Dulinor
- Sol, Adair

Have fun,
Bill

Originally posted by alanb:
The canonical Archdukes of Gateway and Sol were Tranian and Adair, respectively. Norris was the self-appointed Archduke. Well, Lucan was self-appointed too, in a sense.
Note that in the GTU Strephon did appoint Norris archduke in 1114. In fact, that is the earliest difference between the two universes that I have been able to identify. Maybe it's the change point?

Tranian was Lucan's biggest supporter. He seems to have been motivated by honour, duty and all the other things Lucan didn't exhibit.
That's not my theory. I think Tranian tried to become the power behind Lucan's throne and supported him because he thought he could control the little fraticide.

Why do I think so? Because someone in the Imperial Palace would have to know that "Strephon" was a double. Whatever his actual title, there would be a 'Keeper of the Clones' whose job it would be to see to the comfort of the clones[*] and keep them under wraps when Strephon was home (The Chief of Security would also be a good candidate for knowing). Whoever it was would be bound to tell someone. And who more likely to be the one he selected to tell than the senior Imperial noble present on Capital?

So I assume that Tranian knew all about it, if not ahead of time then shortly afterwards. I think he saw a chance to grab the reins of power and went for it.

[*] I really hope that some day those clones get retconned into surgically altered doubles, but that's by the way.

Hans

The canonical Archdukes of Gateway and Sol were Tranian and Adair, respectively. Norris was the self-appointed Archduke. Well, Lucan was self-appointed too, in a sense.
Note that in the GTU Strephon did appoint Norris archduke in 1114. In fact, that is the earliest difference between the two universes that I have been able to identify. Maybe it's the change point?

Tranian was Lucan's biggest supporter. He seems to have been motivated by honour, duty and all the other things Lucan didn't exhibit.
That's not my theory. I think Tranian tried to become the power behind Lucan's throne and supported him because he thought he could control the little fraticide.

Why do I think so? Because someone in the Imperial Palace would have to know that "Strephon" was a double. Whatever his actual title, there would be a 'Keeper of the Clones' whose job it would be to see to the comfort of the clones[*] and keep them under wraps when Strephon was home (The Chief of Security would also be a good candidate for knowing). Whoever it was would be bound to tell someone. And who more likely to be the one he selected to tell than the senior Imperial noble present on Capital?

So I assume that Tranian knew all about it, if not ahead of time then shortly afterwards. I think he saw a chance to grab the reins of power and went for it.

[*] I really hope that some day those clones get retconned into surgically altered doubles, but that's by the way.

Hans

Hans

Another point to consider about Tranian, from the character bio in GT: Nobles. He was a childhood friend of Lucan's. He probably saw an opportunity to gain huge political points for himself by backing his old friend's claim to the throne.

GT: Nobles also states that Strephon was something of a mentor to Tranian, and that both Strephon and Tranian came to power at a very young age. So of all people, I believe Tranian would be most likely to disregard the disadvantage of Lucan's youth and inexperience at the time he assumed office, optimistically (and foolishly) believing that Lucan would "grow into it" as he matured.

I noticed the "Rebellion Sourcebook" states that Lucan initially rewarded Tranian for his support. What form did those rewards take, I wonder?

XO

Another point to consider about Tranian, from the character bio in GT: Nobles. He was a childhood friend of Lucan's. He probably saw an opportunity to gain huge political points for himself by backing his old friend's claim to the throne.

GT: Nobles also states that Strephon was something of a mentor to Tranian, and that both Strephon and Tranian came to power at a very young age. So of all people, I believe Tranian would be most likely to disregard the disadvantage of Lucan's youth and inexperience at the time he assumed office, optimistically (and foolishly) believing that Lucan would "grow into it" as he matured.

I noticed the "Rebellion Sourcebook" states that Lucan initially rewarded Tranian for his support. What form did those rewards take, I wonder?

XO

XO

Back