• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Emerald Monarch

The initial rotation and panning is great, IMO.

The explosions are cool, but same old same old - great for atmo shot, but not for space. I preferred the earlier one - craters or scorch marks would have completed the effect, IMO.

The initial flashes were sweet. In space, the explosion would start off like in atmo - radiative energy released (flash) with rapid expansion. For a conventional missile, probably gone in a 10th of a second (1000ths for non-conventional).

Interior flashes and damage would be visible, however, and the glow of superheated materials at the impact sight. In an upper atmo, one could have the nice visual effects ala project fishbowl when using non-conventional missiles (and energy weps).

Its too bad Hollywood rarely matches the reality of such things - the dramatic shift from silent impending death to the chaos of noise inside a ship (and its sudden extinction in many cases). Exterior shots of flash then nearly instantaneous views of a crater of destruction (and imparted motion) instead of billowing clouds of expanding gases and debris actually would be more cinematic.

EDIT: arg! auto-correction spell checking makes for so many context errors... like crater being changed to creator!

Last edited:
The explosions are cool, but same old same old - great for atmo shot, but not for space. I preferred the earlier one - craters or scorch marks would have completed the effect, IMO.

The initial flashes were sweet. In space, the explosion would start off like in atmo - radiative energy released (flash) with rapid expansion. For a conventional missile, probably gone in a 10th of a second (1000ths for non-conventional).

I'll do some thinking and experimentation and see what I can put together. It would certainly be a unique look not seen in movies. The trick will be getting sufficient eye candy to sell it. Ultimately, you want to achieve the "wow, that looked cool" effect, which is largely why Hollywood departs from realism.

Very cool effect!

However, TBH, it didn't strike a cord with me.

Not sure I can describe why, but I'll try... The equal sized and brightness swirling dots coalescing in was rather disconcerting. The bright actinic light source is also a little too strong and regular, IMO. Also, the encompassing pattern feels too distinct. The moment just before disappearing, the blue blurred and expanding effect with the electrified ice pattern, however, really was striking - if the ship took on the bright expanding light that suddenly extinguishes, that would be sweet.

Not to sound too critical, though - its a very nice creation and thanks for sharing it!

Very cool effect!

However, TBH, it didn't strike a cord with me.

Not sure I can describe why, but I'll try... The equal sized and brightness swirling dots coalescing in was rather disconcerting. The bright actinic light source is also a little too strong and regular, IMO. Also, the encompassing pattern feels too distinct. The moment just before disappearing, the blue blurred and expanding effect with the electrified ice pattern, however, really was striking - if the ship took on the bright expanding light that suddenly extinguishes, that would be sweet.

Not to sound too critical, though - its a very nice creation and thanks for sharing it!

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind criticism as its helps make the final product better.

I was trying for something not seen in other scifi while trying to remain true to Traveller. The swirling dots is an additional effect for what is supposed to be the materialisation of the jump field around the ship. I like the dot effect, but I will try turning it down a bit and add a little more variation. I will also turn down the light flares a bit as I agree they are a bit bright.

I like the swirling dot effect - just seems too consistent. Vary them a bit, maybe some color/brightness variation, flare and/or blur trails as well, and they'd look less 2D.

The jump grid is built into the hull of the ship. The jump field in my effect is just the manifestation of that grid in the visually coolest manner I could conceive. :D

I've made some tweaks and I'm at the "that'll do" point for this VFX. On to laser impacts and hull damage, then I'll have what is needed to piece together a trailer.

Back