• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: The First Blood Rule - New Evidence Found! Extra-Extra! Read All About It!

In Mike Wightman's thread, he pondered the meaning of what he calls a "side bar" on page 47 of The Traveller Book.

It is the section on the combat cheat sheet that refers to "Wounding And Death". The passage he cited....

Each die rolled for wounds is treated as a group of hits that should not be divided; for example, a 1D result of 5 should be treated as 5 hits to be applied as one group to one of the physical characteristics. Select the first physical characteristic to receive wounds randomly; the wounded player character may select all subsequent physical characteristics to receive wounds.

Now, let me direct your attention to page 36 and the last paragraph of the Wounding And Death section. There is an example of how wounds are meant to be applied in Traveller.

There are three characters. All of them have attributes of 777777.

CHARACTER ONE.

He is wounded by a Rifle, taking 3D damage: 1, 1, 1.

This is the character's first wounding, so the First Blood rule kicks in. The damage is taken as a whole and applied to a random stat.

STR is rolled randomly, and it is reduced by 3 points.

Character One's stats are now 477777.

OK, we all know this. Where this gets interesting is with Character Two.

CHARACTER TWO.

The second character also gets hit from a shot of a Rifle, doing 3D damage: 6, 3, 4.

Again, this is the character's first wounding, so the First Blood rule kicks in. But, look at how the rule is used!

First, all three dice are taken as a whole--13 points of damage, applied to a stat randomly.

That random stat is STR. So, stats become 077777.

But there is still damage left over. Note how the example takes the remaining dice in order, first the "3" (which has been reduced to "2" because one point was used earlier on STR), and then the "4" die.

Also note that each of these dice are not taken as a whole, like the total above that reduced the character's STR to zero! Each remaining die, the 2 and the 4, are applied randomly to the two remaining stats.

The 2 is applied randomly to the character's END.

The 4 is applied randomly to the character's DEX.

Leaving the character with these stats: 035777. That is, if you follow the text. The numbers printed say 054777, which seems to be a typo.

This supports the page 47 "side bar" that Mike discusses above.

CHARACTER THREE.

He is also hit by a Rifle, doing 3D damage: 6, 6, 6.

First, the damage is taken as a whole, 18 points, applied randomly to DEX. This reduces the character's stats to 707777, and the remaining damage is: 5, 6.

The 5 is applied randomly to STR, making the character's stats 207777.

Then, the last 6 die is applied randomly, again to STR, wiping it out, so that stats are 007777.

4 points of damage still haven't been applied (this is the last 6 die, reduced to 4 after 2 points where applied to STR), and that can only go on the remaining physical characteristic of END.

This leaves Character Three with the stats 003777.

FIRST BLOOD RULE PROCEDURE

From these examples, and the information on page 47, the method for using the First Blood rule is:

1. Total all damage and take the from a physical stat randomly.

2. Keep the dice in order. If the stat rolled in step 1 requires some points from another die to be reduced to zero, then those points come off the second die rolled.

3. After the total of the throw is applied, as is done in step 1, then any remaining dice are taking singly and randomly applied to remaining physical attributes.

Last edited:
I am confused as to the novelty of any of this.

I just retread these rules in Book 1 and read rules that produce the results you describe (although there is no example to guide me.)

The rules state that dice are assigned to a single characteristic.
The rules also state that if a characteristic is driven to zero any remaining points are applied to a new characteristic.

The first rule is clear. The second rule provides a condition for altering the first rule in a specific circumstance.

These rules have been in all editions since 1977. I don't understand why this is news?

I am confused as to the novelty of any of this.

I just retread these rules in Book 1 and read rules that produce the results you describe (although there is no example to guide me.)

The rules state that dice are assigned to a single characteristic.
The rules also state that if a characteristic is driven to zero any remaining points are applied to a new characteristic.

The first rule is clear. The second rule provides a condition for altering the first rule in a specific circumstance.

These rules have been in all editions since 1977. I don't understand why this is news?

It's news because of the procedure.

How I've played First Blood, and how I think most people play it, is like this:

Digger has stats 777777. He gets hit with 3D damage: 4, 6, 5.

That's a total damage of 15 points. You roll randomly to apply it, taking out the STR characteristic. 077777.

That leaves 8 points of damage.

You roll randomly again between DEX and END, taking out the END. 070777.

That leaves 1 point of damage, which must be put on DEX.

Digger now has stats of 060777.

What the example says is a bit different.

The first part is the same. You total the entire damage and apply it to a random physical stat.

That's 15 points of damage applied to STR.

Stats are now 077777.

That leaves damage of 3, 5. Note how the damage dice are taking in order. The 4 was applied first, then the extra 3 points came off the second die (which can be higher or lower than the third die).

And now, you apply these points randomly and individually. You don't apply the remaining 8 points randomly, you roll for each die.

You roll first END, the same as above, but you only put 3 points of damage to it. Stats are 072777.

Next, you roll randomly again to apply the 5 die, rolling between DEX and END. You get DEX.

Digger now has stats of 022777.

022777 is a far cry better than 060777.

The example also shows that it is important to roll damage dice one by one and keep track of the order.

You roll 1D, then 1D, and then the last 1D instead of rolling 3D together on one throw.

The example also shows that it is important to roll damage dice one by one and keep track of the order.

You roll 1D, then 1D, and then the last 1D instead of rolling 3D together on one throw.

This partly why I dumped the CT wound system and went with something requiring less fiddly bits.

You are completely correct i:)

I have been doing it like you for years - on a critical hit rather than first blood but the effect is the same. Roll a random stat and subtract damage, roll another random stat then subtract remaining damage, and remaining damage is subtracts from the third stat.

Rolling for a random stat for each die after the first characteristic is reduced to zero does lessen the chance of a second stat also being immediately reduced to zero and hence a serious wound.

Good find, I will add that to the list of stuff to try in my next CT outing.

16 dice rolling down the table at the same time is a beautiful thing...

:devil:

I'm not keeping track of each die of a FGMP. The energy is just going to fly and unleash chaos.

For combat, I just added current STR, DEX, and END to form a hit point pool. Damage was applied to this and if it went to zero or less, the character was dead. After combat, the remaining points were divided back out to the physical characteristics (with none higher than precombat levels).

I haven't used it since 1990 or so, so I don't remember if it was a simple binary alive/dead, or if after the character took a certain percentage of damage the character was rendered unconscious.

16 dice rolling down the table at the same time is a beautiful thing...

:devil:

I'm not keeping track of each die of a FGMP. The energy is just going to fly and unleash chaos.

"What? A twenty-ton mega-saber-tooth cat from where in the Sword Worlds? Eat super-heated plasma gone fusion kitty!"

I feel better now.

I can understand why the First Blood rule is written the way it is. It is hard to describe, without using examples, that method.

1. Take all damage as a whole against one stat randomly.

2. Lower next rolled die if needed.

3. Apply the rest, if any, of the damage dice independently and randomly but as whole dice.

Part of the problem is the use of the terms "Hits" and "Wound". Maybe those should be defined in the Combat chapter or on page 11 with the other terms.

NOW...the question is...does the text of TTB say that the First Blood rule is applied the first time a character takes a wound during a combat scene?

Or, does it say the First Blood rule is applied only as the character's first wound?

We all know what Mike says about this.

We all know what I have to say about this, too.

I'm ready to be persuaded either way. I'm just interested in what the rules say--what the rules as written describe.

Right now, all I see is the rules saying that the First Blood rule is applied as a character's first wound. I don't see anything that implies that the First Blood rule is supposed to be applied as the first wound in each and every individual combat scenario.

But, like I said, if contradicting evidence is found, I'll change my stance.

We don't keep track of the order of the dice. We just put the die in order from largest to smallest.

Simple house rule since 1979. Not backed up by any rule or article.

We don't keep track of the order of the dice. We just put the die in order from largest to smallest.

Simple house rule since 1979. Not backed up by any rule or article.

Seems logical and simple.

The example, I'm sure you know, seems to keep track exactly.

Keeping track can add mean life or death for a character, or maybe a slighter wound.

Take for example damage of 6, 4, 6 applied to a character with stats of 774A55.

Random damage takes out STR, leaving damage of 3, 6. Stats are 074A55

3 randomly applied to END. 071A55

6 randomly applied to DEX. 011A55

Do the same thing, but change the order of the damage to 6, 6, 4.

STR taken out. Stats 074A55. Damage left is 5, 4.

5 randomly applied to END. 070A55. Damage left is 4 + 1 = 5.

5 randomly applied to DEX. Stats are 020A55.

I'd much rather have 011A55 than 020A55 when taking the same amount of damage.

I've always played it like the examples and frankly was confused and kerfuffled by the arguments here.

Never could just assign damage by firing or victim player. Very random and odd results.

Well, glad that's settled.

With my hit location/striker pen and QNDMD in combination, you get a real image for what has happened, which is geared more towards the medic drama and secondarily to indicate just how bad it is.

All those 6 hits in Example 3 for instance would indicate STR broken bones/skull/ribcage or really bad bleeding, DEX hit would be nerves severed and/or trauma or concussion if head, and END would be a large open wound and a heavily damaged organ or brain depending again on location.

Oh, and first blood, per combat situation.

I would rule the break between battles and new battle situation and therefore first blood obtains if the character has got past the initial woundings and gone to the half stat state. Long enough to be shocked again by a fresh wound.

Also, going largest to smallest tends to cut the larger numbers down as they are applied to the first randomly chosen stat, before any remaining hits and each die is distributed randomly to the last two stats. In a way, possibly slightly advantageous for the players on a more consistent basis.

Just what I've seen in practice.

Also, going largest to smallest tends to cut the larger numbers down as they are applied to the first randomly chosen stat, before any remaining hits and each die is distributed randomly to the last two stats. In a way, possibly slightly advantageous for the players on a more consistent basis.

Plus, there's the small advantage of being able to throw 3D together as damage, and then just arrange them, lowest to highest (or highest to lowest, as you do).

I've always played it like the examples and frankly was confused and kerfuffled by the arguments here.

Never could just assign damage by firing or victim player. Very random and odd results.

Well, glad that's settled.

With my hit location/striker pen and QNDMD in combination, you get a real image for what has happened, which is geared more towards the medic drama and secondarily to indicate just how bad it is.

All those 6 hits in Example 3 for instance would indicate STR broken bones/skull/ribcage or really bad bleeding, DEX hit would be nerves severed and/or trauma or concussion if head, and END would be a large open wound and a heavily damaged organ or brain depending again on location.

There's also an option Hits Location chart in Challenge or Journal. It's the one with cyborg rules, IIRC.

You are completely correct i:)

I have been doing it like you for years - on a critical hit rather than first blood but the effect is the same. Roll a random stat and subtract damage, roll another random stat then subtract remaining damage, and remaining damage is subtracts from the third stat.

Rolling for a random stat for each die after the first characteristic is reduced to zero does lessen the chance of a second stat also being immediately reduced to zero and hence a serious wound.

Good find, I will add that to the list of stuff to try in my next CT outing.

It's after the first successful attack, not after one is zeroed. (tho' zeroing is typical.)

Back