• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: The First Blood Rule - New Evidence Found! Extra-Extra! Read All About It!

So I went back to the example on p.36 of TTB, and the example states:

I said this earlier in the thread. I think the versions are saying the same thing. The problem is the use of the word "wound" and "hits" in the description.

Plus, the intended method for applying wounds is rather finicky: Roll randomly the first die of damage. Roll randomly any damage left over from that first die, if needed. Allow the player to pick and choose where other damage is applied, as long as damage is kept in whole die.

Except if it is the first wound of the combat*. Then, it's a Critical Hit, where the total of the damage is taken against a physical stat randomly. But, if that stat is zeroed, then consider any points from the first die of damage to reduce the second die. Then apply the rest of the damage in whole die, rolling randomly for each die, separately.

That's all rather confusing!

Add to that, the text seems to be referring to points of damage as "hits" and the die, or groups of "hits" as "wounds".

So, a 3D damage roll of 6, 5, 3 is a total of 14 hits, or three wounds.

*Combat. That's me starting to give in to peer pressure and agree with the crowd about using Critical Hits the first time in combat.

The reason I'm changing my mind? It's not that I'm the only one with that original opinion. Its that the reading of the damage has changed now that I've figured out the method in TTB.

With some or all of the damage applied to the character randomly with each and every hit, my stance (and reason for that point of view) doesn't make as much sense.

So....count me on board with the Critical Hits happening at the first of each combat situation, like everyone else agrees.

If I am convinced (in this case, I convinced myself) that I am wrong, I have no problem stating that and changing stance.

Actually now that I look at it again...

kidding :) :) :)

I can not believe I overlooked the evidence of the wording of the combat example, oh well :)

There's still piracy and near c rocks to discuss... :devil:

I still like the mental image of characters shooting each other with miniature guns that do 1 point of damage, just prior to entering combat, in order to defeat the first blood rule...

The text of Starter Traveller differs slightly from TTB in the combat example.
The Starter Traveller combat example, second column on page 21, states that first blood applies to the first wounding of the combat, saying this for each of the three characters involved.
In the second paragraph of Wounding and Death, column 1 page 21, it states that wounded player can choose which characteristics the groups of hits are applied to. It then amends this in the next paragraph, for first blood wounds, with these being applied entirely randomly.
Upshot of this is as follows:

• First blood applies to each combat.
  • First blood damage is applied randomly, in whole dice lots, with remainders randomly carried over to another physical characteristic.
  • Non first blood hits are applied, in whole dice lots, to the physical characteristics of the wounded players choosing.

Back