• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The humble O2 tank

Carlobrand

SOC-14 1K
Marquis
MT Imperial Encyclopedia: the basic TL9 Portable life support system is a Cr3000, 7 kg, 11 liter volume pack with two standard tanks that lasts you 4 hours. Those two tanks, under the label, "Oxygen Tanks", are TL5 basic 5 liter 2.5 kg Cr500 tanks. By simple math, each tank supports you for two hours.

Quick fact: pure oxygen at anything over about 0.3 atmospheres is dangerous, can cause injury, even lethal injury. Not a major problem: we drop the pressure in the suit. It's actually easier to move around in them that way - that's what NASA does.

Quick math: a person takes in about 6 to 9 liters of air a minute,depending on his level of exertion. At 21%, that translates as about 1.2 to 1.9 liters of O2. We don't use all of it: when we take in 6 to 9 liters of air at 21%, we breathe it out at about 16% O2 and 5% CO2.

So, let's say you're suit's inflated to 30 percent pressure of O2, and you're actively breathing at 1.9 liters per minute for 120 minutes: 228 liters unless you've got a way to filter CO2 and recover some of that unused oxygen you're breathing out. 228 liters in a 5 liter tank. Pressure is - 45.6 atmospheres? Did I do that right? 670 psi, the old fashioned way?

But I've seen tanks at 1900, 2200, even 2400 psi. Why are we so badly underfilled? Is it the business about being surrounded by vacuum?

NASA, according to these folk (it's a children's science page, but the numbers are good, I think):

http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/space/teachers/suited/9d6o2.html

run primary tanks filled to 5,860.5 kilopascals pressure. That's 58 atmospheres, 850 psi, almost 30% higher than what we're doing but still a whole lot under what some of the terrestrial tanks can store. They use it with a recycling system that cleans out the CO2 and lets the unused oxygen be re-used, which gives them 6 to 8 hours on 0.55 kilograms of oxygen (I think that's around 414 liters at room temperature). On the other hand, their secondary tank runs to 7 times as much pressure, around 6000 psi, though it can't support them as long because apparently it can't use the recycling system. (Though I'm not seeing how 1.19 kilograms of oxygen in the secondary only lasts them half an hour. I'm getting something wrong.)

Nasa's newer shuttle space suits are newer than Traveller. Did tanks in the 80's top out around 700 psi? Or did I screw up the math or make a mistake somewhere else? Occurred to me that they might be delivering plain-old air at 1 atmosphere - solves some problems in using them on worlds with exotic atmospheres, but it makes the suit a lot harder to move in. On the other hand, this is a TL9 suit - maybe they solved that.

The bit you have to remember though - getting into a pure oxy/low pressure space suit (as current astronauts do) take quite some time. You have to purge the nitrogen from your blood, and carefully lower the pressure while huffing pure O2. If you jumped straight in the suit and out the airlock you would discover 'the bends' rather quickly.

IIRC the 'normal time' from getting in the suit to the door is about 30minutes.

So 'normal air' would be easier to use, and have no problems if you had to jump in/out of the suit in a hurry. But then you have the pressure problem (ie: you look and move like the Michelin man) unless it has constant volume joints to prevent lockup.

The other bit though - you never see Trav suits mentioning the cooling vest. Maybe the TL9+ suits have a fancy way of taking care of heat/sweat/smells/etc which takes up extra space in the PLSS.

Why is one tank with 1048 liters of - I presume air - only lasting the diver 30 minutes?

Because the basal rate is multiplied by the pressure at consumption.

15L basal rate at 2.3 ATM is ~35L a minute. 35*30=1050

Because the basal rate is multiplied by the pressure at consumption.

15L basal rate at 2.3 ATM is ~35L a minute. 35*30=1050

Ah, so if he were using the tank with normal pressure around him, it would last 2.3 times as long. And, presumably, if he were taking things easy instead of exerting himself, it would be longer still.

Ah, so if he were using the tank with normal pressure around him, it would last 2.3 times as long. And, presumably, if he were taking things easy instead of exerting himself, it would be longer still.

Yep. Good control and resting posture can reduce consumption to about 2/3 of basal, perhaps as low as half with meditation. high stress and activity can triple respiration, and panic can result in wasting air out of the tanks, resulting in 5-10 times basal for a given pressure. Or so I've read, repeatedly.

Yep. Good control and resting posture can reduce consumption to about 2/3 of basal, perhaps as low as half with meditation. high stress and activity can triple respiration, and panic can result in wasting air out of the tanks, resulting in 5-10 times basal for a given pressure. Or so I've read, repeatedly.

I'm seeing that. I'm generally assuming a resting rate, but the rate varies from 6-9 liters per minute resting to as much as 65 at maximum exertion. It's easily double my working rate just for mild exertion.

http://www.molecularproducts.com/pd...n Confined Environments Technical Article.pdf

Which, if the MegaTrav tanks are delivering 4 hours based on an assumption of mild to moderate exertion, means they're likely pressurized to 1900 to 2000 psi. (Also means the occupant can greatly extend the duration by getting in the suit and then taking a nap.:D)

I may be slow, but I'm learning. :)

Back