• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Imperial Duchy

rancke

Absent Friend
Here's an article I was working on for JTAS Online but never finished. With the recent changes to the OTU wrought by Marc Miller I figure I might as well post it here on the IMTU forum. Perhaps some of you will find it useful.

Note that this was intended for GT, so tech levels are GTL rather than TTL.

THE IMPERIAL DUCHY

a feature article

by
Hans Rancke-Madsen​

The basic administrative unit of the Imperium is the duchy or, as it is usually known, the subsector. In theory each subsector of the Imperium is a duchy and each duchy is a subsector. Consequently the two terms have become synonymous and is often used interchangably. This is not, however, entirely correct. In practice about 10% of the Imperium's subsectors are not independent duchies. The most common reason for this is that the subsector in question is too weak, in population and resources, to make a credible duchy. An example of this is Lanth subsector, whose tax base is less than 2% of the Imperial average. Lanth is therefore split up between the surrounding duchies of Lunion, Regina, and Rhylanor.

The Imperium has a policy of not allowing duchies that are larger than a subsector. This serves as a useful curb of ambitious dukes, who know that the Imperium will not countenance them expanding their influence into neighboring subsectors. Obviously the existence of subsectors too weak to be duchies means that some duchies are oversized, like the aforementioned duchies of Lunion, Regina, and Rhylanor. However, the policy means that when such a weak subsector eventually becomes strong enough to make a credible duchy, it will be separated out from its former duke(s).

There are a few exceptions to this, usually when political concerns overide other considerations. Jewell, a county under the Duke of Regina which consists of all Imperial worlds in the Jewell subsector, has for centuries been strong enough to function as an duchy in itself (albeit a relatively weak one), but for all that time the dukes of Regina have been known as some of the Emperor's most faithful vassals. Separating out Jewell from their demesne would have sent quite the wrong message to the nobles of the Imperium, and so Jewell remains a mere county. The Duchy of Alderamin is an even better example of an oversized duchy. It consists of the whole Alderamin subsector plus the part of Esperanza subsector that is not included in the Vegan Autonomous District. This includes enough high-population worlds to make Esperanza an exceedingly viable duchy in itself, but until recently the dukes of Alderamin were Aslans and splitting off part of their duchy would have been an intolerable insult (With the recent death of Duke xxxxxxxxxx without a direct heir, political observers predict that the Emperor will take the opportunity to adjust the situation).

ORGANIZATION

All duchies are governed by an Imperial duke owing fealthy to the Emperor. Apart from that, however, there is considerable variation. Some dukes run their duchies as autocracies using the lesser nobles of the duchy as their deputies. Other dukes delegate authority to their counts and let them run their counties as they see fit, subject to varying degrees of ducal supervision. Some duchies have various advisory councils, often called either moots or senates. Size, composition, and function of these councils vary a lot. The senate of the Duchy of Alderamin, for instance, consist of all the duchy's Imperial peers and no one else. It convenes only when summoned by the duke and functions purely in an advisory capacity. The senate of the Duchy of Regina, on the other hand, consists of all the duchy's peers plus a number of delegates appointed or elected by the individual worlds in proportion to the size of their populations. It assembles at regular intervals and have limited legislative powers (subject to veto by the duke). In a few cases the Emperor even tolerates constitutional arrangements, where the duke cannot legislate without the approval of some form of parliament. There are certain limits to such setups, however. The Emperor often grants his vassals various powers which they CANNOT relinquish.

IMPERIAL ADMINISTRATION

Many of the Imperium's functions are managed at the duchy level. What people refer to as Imperial laws are actually often enacted by the duchy and may not apply in the neighboring duchy (although dukes tend to pay attention to what their fellow dukes do and often try to dovetail their legislation with that of their neighbors. And, of course, the Imperial High Laws and various Imperial edicts do impose a lot of similarity).

Where a larger scope is needed, the Emperor turns to his ministries and to the Imperial armed forces. Most of these organize on a subsector by subsector -- NOT duchy by duchy -- basis as well as sector by sector and, lately, domain by domain. In the antebellum period sectors were sometimes subdivided into quadrants -- areas two subsectors by two -- but this has mostly fallen into disuse. The result is a dual administration situation somewhat akin to that of the Federal and State administrations of that Old Terra region known as the U.S.A. Due to communication times, the duchies are, however, in a stronger position vis-a-vis the ministries than the U.S. states were vis-a-vis the federal government. Jurisdictional disputes between Imperial and duchy organizations with similar duties are not uncommon.

THE DUCHY FORCES

A duke is the commander-in-chief of his duchy's forces. Although the ducal armies and navies of the Imperium are just as much Imperial organisations as the regular Imperial Army, Navy, and Marine Force, they are separate organisations. Imperial military taxes are paid by individual worlds to their duke. The duke passes along a set percentage (usually between 40 and 60 percent, the exact percentage depending on local conditions and historical factors) to his sector duke and keeps the rest to pay for the forces of his duchy: a navy, an army, and whatever other military and para-military organizations local conditions call for. The duchy also run some non-military organisations, but they are funded separately.

In practice the duchy forces are separate only insofar as they have separate budgets. Regular and duchy forces routinely cooperate and coordinate their activities, and transfers and secondments back and forth between them are very common. In addition, all duchy forces are automatically part of the Imperial reserves and all duchy units are subject to being taken over by the Imperium in times of crisis. This process is called 'imperialization' and means that the Imperium takes full control of the unit and assumes full responsibility for salaries and upkeep. As a matter of curiosity, huscarles -- the household troops of Imperial nobles -- cannot be imperialized without their consent, but it would be a bold noble who refused to give it.

Just as subsector has become synonymous with duchy, 'subsector navy' is very often used instead of 'duchy navy'. Furthermore, since most ducal navies cover the same territory as a regular Imperial fleet, the terms 'subsector navy' and 'subsector fleet' are often used interchangably; again this is not entirely correct.

Duchy navies are often percieved as comic-opera outfits composed exclusively of obsolete ships and worn-out navy hand-me-downs crewed by inexpert weekend warriors. There is a small amount of truth in this, but not much. Duchy navy crewmembers are usually less experienced overall than their IN counterparts, (not the least because of the IN's habit of recruiting the cream from the duchy navies), but the difference in efficiency ratings is usually only five to ten percent. As for the ships, SOME colonial navies are indeed mostly composed of obsolescent IN castoffs. Until Strouden reached TL 12 a few years ago, the Duchy of Lunion Navy was happy to buy old IN ships, because the best that could be build locally was TL 11. Now Lunion is in the process of gradually replacing its TL 11 fleet and its old TL 12 ships from the IN with locally produced TL 12 ships. A few duchies are even willing to take old TL 11 IN ships because the best they can produce locally is TL 10. But navies with TL 12 shipyards in their own duchies consist primarily of locally built top-of-the-line ships, though political considerations may force them to employ some ships from powerful local worlds with lower tech levels.

THE SECTOR DUKE

One of a sector's dukes is the sector duke. In addition to his duties as duke of his own duchy, his mandate include all Imperial activities in the sector that are not included in the mandates of his fellow dukes. This usually means all imperial activities organized at the sector level, but obviously excludes the internal affairs of other duchies, as well as many Imperial activities organized at a lower level. The most important duty involved is oversight of all Imperial Navy activities in the sector.

Comments welcome. Just keep in mind that this is in MY Traveller Universe, not the OTU. ;)

Hans

Last edited:
This is cool :) but I'm just courious on how you would resign out MgT "Tripwire". Where one of the major happinings is the installation of a new Duke for the Duchy of Jewell.

When looking at star charts Jewell appears to have 2-3 additional counties prior to 3FW and those were lost during and the rich core county was given as a "wardship" to the Duke of Regina.

Just asking for thoughts :D

This is cool :)
Thank you. :)

...but I'm just courious on how you would resign out MgT "Tripwire". Where one of the major happenings is the installation of a new Duke for the Duchy of Jewell.
What is "Tripwire"? your campaign? An official MgT campaign module? I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking.

When looking at star charts Jewell appears to have 2-3 additional counties prior to 3FW and those were lost during and the rich core county was given as a "wardship" to the Duke of Regina.
IMTU Jewell never was a duchy. Vilis was (with a Duke of Arden in charge). When Vilis was gutted by the peace settlement, the Emperor "invited" the Duke of Arden to take up residence on Capital and turned his title into an honor title, leaving the Count of Vilis in charge of the remaining Imperial worlds in the subsector (and answering to the Duke of Regina).

Hans

What is "Tripwire"? your campaign? An official MgT campaign module? I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking.

Hans

Yes, it's a MgT adventure/campaign

I think I meant resolve, reconcile or thoughts in general. (I just got off a 10hr graveyard shift and am having problems concentrating).

YTU solution is interesting. :)

I'm afraid I don't know enough about that adventure to say. At a guess, I'd ignore it, since I've always thought of Jewell as a county under Regina. If it was a truly outstanding adventure, I might turn the installation of the new duke (he's succeeding another duke, right?) into the elevation of the County of Jewell into a duchy. As a last resort (if I really liked the adventure), I'd retcon my universe and tell my players that Jewell has been a duchy all along (I don't think any of them is concious of the status of Jewell anyway ;)).

Hans

From MgT site:

In an effort to increase their control over Jewell subsector, the Imperium has announced that a new duke will be appointed to oversee Imperial interests there. This move has caused political friction with the Zhodani who have since restricted trade to their worlds.

Imperial agents’ suspect the Zhodani are now planning to deploy a new super weapon, forcing the Imperium to strengthen their borders and military outposts. With tensions running high only the bravest travellers remain in business, demanding higher fees for their services.

Making the most of the current trade opportunities, the players take on a passenger who pays them a handsome fee for their services. However, the passenger is more than he appears to be and the players are soon plunged into a world of conspiracy and danger.

Tripwire is set in the Jewell subsector of Spinward Marches. The story takes the players to every system in Jewell where an adventure awaits them at every turn. This book is more than just a campaign; it serves as a useful guide to the Jewell subsector, detailing each world with a brief history, local laws and places of interest. Tripwire also includes a timeline of Jewell subsector, random encounters, new equipment and spacecraft.

It's pretty easy to solve.

Have the new duke installed and the adventure played out, then have Norris's agents assassinate him and reclaim the territory for Regina - blame it on Zho agents or Ine Givar 'terrorists'.

It's pretty easy to solve.
I'm not sure what the issue is. The quoted text says that a new duke is being installed. If you put the date around 1116 and say that Jewell is being upgraded from a county to a duchy it would fit in with established canon. Jewell is going to be a comparatively weak duchy (IIRC it has a tax base about 2% of an average Imperial duchy. Or 8% or somthing like that; quite small, anyway). But given some Imperial subsidies it should be viable. And Imperial policy seems to be to make duchies coterminious with subsectors whenever possible1, so the Aledon dukes must have been expecting to lose it some day.
1 My take is that this is very deliberate; it reduces the friction between neighboring dukes that they know that they won't be allowed to keep any territorial gains outside the borders of their subsector.
Have the new duke installed and the adventure played out, then have Norris's agents assassinate him and reclaim the territory for Regina - blame it on Zho agents or Ine Givar 'terrorists'.
That would not (IMO) work. The Duke of Jewell would have an heir who'd take over and if Norris wiped out the entire family Strephon would just appoint a new duke of Jewell (And send some extremely suspicious Imperial Warrant-holders to track down the culprit).

(Also, it's not something the Norris of my TU would do -- I just don't see him as that sort of scumbag.)

Hans

Sigh... still trying to resolve certain canon issues with Tripwire. It's on the pile, after errata.

Ironically, the canon issues aren't with the Duke of Jewell. That one has a straightforward resolution. But I do appreciate the reminder. I'd forgotten about Tripwire. I really need a third list.

Personally, I don't see why a duchy has to be associated with a fixed subsector size. Historically, they were of all different sizes and populations. I like that more chaotic approach, myself.

Personally, I don't see why a duchy has to be associated with a fixed subsector size. Historically, they were of all different sizes and populations. I like that more chaotic approach, myself.

The reason I made that claim is that early setting material used the term 'subsector' synonymously with 'territory ruled by a duke'. The term 'duchy' is never used. So historically duchies (i.e. territories ruled by dukes) were apparently all of the same size (except for some exceptions in the Spinward Marches).

Hans

My take is the division of space into sectors and sub-sectors would have been laid down before explorers actually visited them so the actual situation in the sub-sectors - clusters of systems of greatly varying power - wouldn't have been known until after arrival.

This could have lead the natural power structure being shoe-horned into the pre-defined sub-sector structure with a lot of messy overlaps but it mostly works out as the natural centers of power - the alpha systems with a cluster of subordinate systems around them - are often one per sub-sector anyway.

So IMTU although the Dukes are nominally the Dukes of the sub-sector in practical terms they are the Dukes of the sub-sector's alpha cluster.

(so effectively they are different sizes, shapes and populations even if they're not officially)

My take is the division of space into sectors and sub-sectors would have been laid down before explorers actually visited them so the actual situation in the sub-sectors - clusters of systems of greatly varying power - wouldn't have been known until after arrival.
Yes, the sectors and subsectors were defined by the First Imperium.

This could have lead the natural power structure being shoe-horned into the pre-defined sub-sector structure with a lot of messy overlaps but it mostly works out as the natural centers of power - the alpha systems with a cluster of subordinate systems around them - are often one per sub-sector anyway.
But that's exactly what the Third Imperium is known to have done; shoehorn its own structure on to existing situations.

So IMTU although the Dukes are nominally the Dukes of the sub-sector in practical terms they are the Dukes of the sub-sector's alpha cluster.
Well, no. Each subsector has only one high duke regardless of how many major worlds there are in it. Other alpha worlds, as you call them, have to make do with counts. Also, formally a subsector's high duke is not associated with any of the alpha worlds. A well-known example of this is Norris, Duke of Regina (Duchy of) who has no formal say in the government of Regina (Despite his secondary title as (high) Marquis of Regina (System). When the duke is linked to a world (as in the case of Delphine of Mora) it's achieved by the duke having a second hat as a planetary ruler.

(so effectively they are different sizes, shapes and populations even if they're not officially)
Population differences are obviously linked to the number of major worlds in the duchy, but I think the odd shapes are rare and linked to special situations, mostly on the borders and when subsector have populations well below the average.

Hans

but I think the odd shapes are rare and linked to special situations, mostly on the borders and when subsector have populations well below the average.

Hans

Sure, what I mean is the natural clusters tend to be less than the size of a sub-sector so the "odd shapes" of the "natural" Duchies are generally internal to the sub-sector if you see what I mean.

for example

Glisten is in the center of a large, spider web like cluster

http://travellermap.com/?x=-93.754&y=44.237&scale=46.8515625

whereas the Mora cluster is more of an oval shape taking in Palique

http://travellermap.com/?x=-90.04&y=53.949&scale=46.8515625

and Vilis, Aramis and Lanth barely have a natural cluster at all.

So simply by saying IYTU the 3I only cares about the important systems then although the Duke is officially and theoretically the Duke of the sub-sector, in practice they are only the Dukes of the important bits (because they don't care about the rest) and in that case those important bits would fit the original comment.

Sure, what I mean is the natural clusters tend to be less than the size of a sub-sector so the "odd shapes" of the "natural" Duchies are generally internal to the sub-sector if you see what I mean.
A subsector is too large to be just one cluster. What you're talking about would be counties, and the counts are specifically excluded from interstellar governmental authority (the lowest level of interstellar government is the subsector).

So simply by saying IYTU the 3I only cares about the important systems then although the Duke is officially and theoretically the Duke of the sub-sector, in practice they are only the Dukes of the important bits (because they don't care about the rest) and in that case those important bits would fit the original comment.
But what canon actually says is that the dukes are the dukes of their entire subsectors. So, yes, if things were different, they would be different. But they're not.

Hans

A subsector is too large to be just one cluster. What you're talking about would be counties, and the counts are specifically excluded from interstellar governmental authority (the lowest level of interstellar government is the subsector).

No what I'm talking about is the way human societies work in practice. If all the important and/or valuable stuff in a sub-sector is in a 5-6 parsec cluster around the local alpha system then that is what the Duke will spend 99.99% of their time on.

But what canon actually says is that the dukes are the dukes of their entire subsectors. So, yes, if things were different, they would be different. But they're not.

And as I said the Dukes can be *both* officially and legally and all the rest of it Dukes of the entire sub-sector and at the same time *effectively* not because they only care about the important bits.

So if someone prefers

all they need to do is flick a switch in their head that says the 3I only cares about the important bits of the sub-sectors and out pops a (more or less) canon OTU which is one third Coruscant and two thirds Firefly.

#

Historical example:

At one point in time Roman emperors were emperors of little villages in Brittany that might never have seen a Roman.

Not even once.

No what I'm talking about is the way human societies work in practice. If all the important and/or valuable stuff in a sub-sector is in a 5-6 parsec cluster around the local alpha system then that is what the Duke will spend 99.99% of their time on.
But Traveller world populations are almost never distributed like that. Take Mora. The Mora system is surrounded by worlds with populations between 4 and 6, all of them utterly insignificant (as far as trade and taxes are concerned anyway). Two parsecs from Mora is Fornice with 20-29 billion people. But I say the odds are good that the two worlds are economic rivals and would very much not consider themselves part of the same political fraternity. And then you have Heroni in the extreme rimward/coreward corner, six parsecs from Mora and very much not part of any Morani cluster, and Pallique at the rimward edge, also six parsecs from Mora and also not part of any Morani cluster (I've not bothered to look at the pop 7 and 8 worlds). There is no informal border you can draw around a smaller Morani cluster that takes in all the important systems in the Mora Subsector.

Going the other way, you can't have two clusters in the same subsector that effectively answer to two different Imperial nobles, because any count of such a cluster would be a) not holding interstellar governmental authority in his own right, and b) subject to the subsector duke who would be very much interested in the major system(s) of the county.

Hans

Back