• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Imperial Regalia?

Magnus von Thornwood

Super Moderator
Baron
So I am working on a post in my PbP game in which The Emperor has explained that He desires the character(s) to take out a dangerous neighbor. While I was writing this I remembered an instance where I described a believe a Royal Marine General as being the point of the spear used to pin the leaders of a rebellion to the wall with. Which got me thinking it would be cool (okay to me) to have some sort of Spear/Lance of State. It precedes The Emperor when the Imperium is engaged in actions that do not rise to the level of outright declared war (then the Sword of State is carried), but will involve Imperial Service Members being expose to harm. Perhaps it is hung with Ribbions blazoned with the hex and name of the worlds in question when a very public point is being made and some sort of grey cover when The Crown doesn't wish to declare as yet where the action is taking place, but does it desire it be known it is acting.

I have also been thinking about what sort of regalia a character receives with those snazzy titles. Which of course led me to wondering what the various other TUs might have as part of their various regalia.

So, please, OTU, ATU, YTU comment away. Well, off to do some professional reading before calling the crew and checking out Cap2. Because he is the perfect human being and US Citizen, if only because he lives a world with superpowered people. :)

I don't deal much with royals, doing of my play in the hinterlands. A ducal signet ring is about as good as it gets out here.

Well, traditional Terran regalia include the crown, orb - representing the world, and scepter/staff/mace, representing might and authority (of the "I thwack you with my stick if you don't do what I say" variety, I suspect, though they became rather fragile for that as they got more fancy).

Others include: the cape (I've no idea what that's supposed to symbolize); the sword (of war, symbolizing the crown's martial power, and of justice, symbolizing the crown's power to mete out the high justice); spurs (indicating a knighthood, since the king was often chief warrior); the Seal of State. In Japan, one of their items of regalia is a mirror, representing wisdom (through self-reflection,perhaps?). In some equatorial countries, a fly whisk is among the regalia - I don't know what that symbolizes.

Roman Catholic religious regalia included the flail and crook, harking to more mundane roots and their responsibility to be shepherds of men.

Given a far future context, one item of future regalia to consider might be the briefcase, an item containing the codes and communications equipment by which the leader would launch a nuclear attack. The swords of war and justice may have been replaced by fine pistols.

You might also, since you're talking about the king handing something to someone, consider items of royal favor, rather than regalia: a ring, a handkerchief with the royal arms, the pen that signed your knighthood. The British used gorgets, a metal disk hanging below the neck that had evolved from neck armor into something purely decorative - you could restrict that to a certain class of honor-holder.

In a far future context of ceremonial violence, especially something "grey", you might consider a simple knife or a pistol, communicating a command to do some deed and return with it when you are done. The holder of the knife or wearer of the pistol would be entitled to the full support of the emperor's subjects, but the item would not give command authority - you could present it to the admiral and demand a ship to take you to planet X, but you would not have authority to order the ship to open fire on the planet.

In the context of the crown giving orders that it does not want publicly discussed but does want "known," you might consider a scroll with the orders in a color-coded scroll tube: red for some military action, black for some action involving stealth or black-ops, white for more mundane peaceful activities.

A long while ago I did a lot of work on an adventure set on Knorbes for Milieu 1000. It's completely non-canon, of course, but I mentioned two heirlooms that (by implication) the Emperor gives to each of his nobles:

The player characters have all received invitations to call on Sir Warfrem Goris, an Imperial baronet and fairly highly placed member of the Duchy bureaucracy.

The baronet explains that his grandfather, Sir Sweinard Goris, was a younger son of the 12th Marquis of Knorbes. He was studying on Regina in 904 when a global war on Knorbes escalated to the use of biological weapons and the Imperium first quarantined and then interdicted that unhappy world. In the confusion that reigned at the time, the navy task force was unable to extract the marquis or any of his family. Sir Sweinard received an Imperial baronetcy and a generous stipend to go with it and settled down to make a new life on Regina.

Six months ago, the interdict of Knorbes was lifted, and Sir Warfrem wants to hire the group to find out what happened to his ancestor and the rest of the Knorbes branch of the family. He himself cannot go as his duties keep him on Regina for the foreseeable future.

In addition to information about the fate of his family, Sir Warfrem wants his agents to be on the lookout for his ancestor's badges of office: an iridium signet ring bearing the family coat of arms inside an Imperial starburst and a coronet bearing the same device. He explains that these items belong to the Emperor and are held in trust by the Goris family; in the absence of other family members it falls to Sir Warfrem to discharge that trust. He offers a sizable success-only bonus for the return of these items.
Since AFAIK nothing whatsoever is said in canon about badges of office, the ring and the coronet are at least canon-compatible.

Hans

I was reading about the relics of the Church of the Chosen One, and there is an artifact that, well,
The "holy book" of the Church of the Chosen Ones is an
Ancient artifact. This artifact is a twisted piece of multi-colored
crystal, garish in its appearance, but pleasing enough to the
Vargr taste. The founder of the Church claimed to have received
this artifact personally from the Ancients. Only the inner
council of the Church has access to the device and, in fact,
no other members of the Church have ever seen it. At various
times the device is functional and it then reveals some new
insight to the sect. It is not available for public examination,
of course, because it is holy to the Church. Among nonbelievers
there is a great deal of skepticism about this process.
Challenger 27 pg 26.

It is later revealed that the device is a psionic artificially intelligent teaching device.

Imperial (or lesser noble) regalia may not all be inert objects. Perhaps part of the regalia is some form of AI adviser, in the form of a book or data pad. It can be formed into almost anything, really, including a ring, coronet, badge.

Of course, when the Virus hits, that could prove interesting. [evil laugh]

In some equatorial countries, a fly whisk is among the regalia - I don't know what that symbolizes.

I think that is likey a case of a practical item that became traditional. The monarch needed a fly swat, and a suitably ornate fly swat was made/given to him, sort of like the highly decorated fans used in some eastern countries.

I don't deal much with royals, doing of my play in the hinterlands. A ducal signet ring is about as good as it gets out here.

Well, traditional Terran regalia include the crown, orb - representing the world, and scepter/staff/mace, representing might and authority (of the "I thwack you with my stick if you don't do what I say" variety, I suspect, though they became rather fragile for that as they got more fancy).

I have to ask: is thier any ideas as to what the Vlani emperors of the 1st imperium wore as regalia? it would be relevant, as both the 2nd and 3rd imperiums, claiming decent for the 1st, would likey incorporate parts of that regalia.

Others include: the cape (I've no idea what that's supposed to symbolize); the sword (of war, symbolizing the crown's martial power, and of justice, symbolizing the crown's power to mete out the high justice); spurs (indicating a knighthood, since the king was often chief warrior); the Seal of State. In Japan, one of their items of regalia is a mirror, representing wisdom (through self-reflection,perhaps?).

the Cape, i believe, is another "ornate version of a practical item" job, and, as you point out for most of them, the items in question once had a clear-cut, practical role that was then assigned a symbolic role later on.

Roman Catholic religious regalia included the flail and crook, harking to more mundane roots and their responsibility to be shepherds of men.

Given a far future context, one item of future regalia to consider might be the briefcase, an item containing the codes and communications equipment by which the leader would launch a nuclear attack. The swords of war and justice may have been replaced by fine pistols.

I quite like the idea of the nuclear football becoming a part of the regalia.

You might also, since you're talking about the king handing something to someone, consider items of royal favor, rather than regalia: a ring, a handkerchief with the royal arms, the pen that signed your knighthood. The British used gorgets, a metal disk hanging below the neck that had evolved from neck armor into something purely decorative - you could restrict that to a certain class of honor-holder.

In a far future context of ceremonial violence, especially something "grey", you might consider a simple knife or a pistol, communicating a command to do some deed and return with it when you are done. The holder of the knife or wearer of the pistol would be entitled to the full support of the emperor's subjects, but the item would not give command authority - you could present it to the admiral and demand a ship to take you to planet X, but you would not have authority to order the ship to open fire on the planet.

In the context of the crown giving orders that it does not want publicly discussed but does want "known," you might consider a scroll with the orders in a color-coded scroll tube: red for some military action, black for some action involving stealth or black-ops, white for more mundane peaceful activities.

one option for the "item of royal favour" is a banner, such as a special variant of the Imperial symbol (the sunbust defaced with banner of Captial, perhaps? or maybe a stylized image of the Iridium Throne, showing that you speak for the occupant of that throne, or that you have come direct form the Captial).

or maybe a Helmet or other peice of armour or clothing, like a sash, or a Brassard.

or, to show that the actions are being done "at a layer removed" from the Throne, you could use the banner and devices of one of the emperors other, lesser titles, like the Archduke of Sylea, for example.

Thus, "The Emperor" is not taking offcial notice or action, but the archduke of Sylea, who happens to be the same person as the the Emperor, is exercising his duty as a Noble of the Imperium to futher the needs of the Imperium.

I have also been thinking about what sort of regalia a character receives with those snazzy titles. Which of course led me to wondering what the various other TUs might have as part of their various regalia.

Hi,

I quite like Liz XX from Doctor Who with her twin blasters, cape and porcelain mask and in Julian May the 'Sword' and 'Spear' were photonic weapons.

But I think all Imperial High Nobility need some sort of crown/coronet/tiara incorporating a psi shield.

Kind Regards

David

You've got some great ideas here Carlobrand. I just want to chime in on a few.

Orbs usually have a Christian cross on top denoting the sovereignty of God and the church and by inference the divine right of kings.

Scepters aren't just derived from maces but also rods of justice. The may be made of ivory or ash wood, denoting purity and mercy. Actual maces are often presented to cities by their kings to show that certain royal authorities are devolved on them by charter.

Also anything used in the coronation ceremony can be part of the regalia. For example the spoon and holy oil container for kings and queens of England.

Others include: the cape (I've no idea what that's supposed to symbolize); the sword (of war, symbolizing the crown's martial power, and of justice, symbolizing the crown's power to mete out the high justice); spurs (indicating a knighthood, since the king was often chief warrior); the Seal of State. In Japan, one of their items of regalia is a mirror, representing wisdom (through self-reflection,perhaps?). In some equatorial countries, a fly whisk is among the regalia - I don't know what that symbolizes.

The cape is actually ermine. Originally this was the very expensive fur of a little mammal but in heraldry became stylized. It varies across Europe but you can tell things about rank and title from how it is displayed. I remember a certain peer entering the House of Lords during the opening of parliament ceremony in the UK explaining that the ermine he was wearing was bought by his dad in the 30's and he used it because it would be too expensive to replace and he only wore it once a year.

Swords of State are borne before a monarch. In Britain there are five. The jeweled sword used at the coronation, the great sword of state borne before the monarch at the opening of parliament, the sword of justice to spirituality, the sword of justice to temporality and the Curtana or sword of mercy (which is broken and blunt). Each has a meaning denoting the monarch's responsibilities as defender of the faith, kingdom and dispenser of justice.

Seals of State. Also known as sovereign seals. Usually kept by the Chancellor or chief minister or in a republic by the President or senior law officer. To explain it in the simplest way the seal symbolizes the power from which all law in a country is derived. For something to be legal or become law it must be done under the seal. The sovereign seal of Ireland for example comes in the form of a harp. Interestingly it is kept by the President of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a secret organization responsible for the declaration of the Irish republic.... but thats another story. The President of Ireland and all ministers in the government each have seals of office which they afix to documents to give them the force of law. These seals of office all have at their center a harp identical to the sovereign seal. Each year a "turning of the seal" ceremony takes place to compare the seals of office to the sovereign seal. the seals are offered up to each other to ensure they match. this way everyone knows all laws, documents and licences are legal.

If you are ever brought up in court in Ireland look around the courtroom for a harp. That's an image of the sovereign seal denoting that the proceedings held under it have the force of law. If you don't see it, challenge the judge as to the legality of the hearing. I know the USA and each of its states have sovereign seals, is it possible to do similar there or in the Imperium I wonder?

One more Seal of state story. When Ireland was a separate kingdom with they English king as head of state, that king would send a viceroy to run things day to day. Like England, Ireland had a Great Seal of State that symbolized the King's power. Usually the Lord Chancellor had charge of the seal but in his absence it was kept by the Lord Chief Justices (the most senior judges or legal officers). Several times when disputes arose between the Viceroy and the parliament of Ireland the Lord Chief Justices refused to afix the seal to laws the Viceroy wanted to force through, effectively crippling his power.

Seals are powerful things.

And for the Pope there's the triple tiara, the ring of the fisherman and the stole with the pins in it representing wounds and nails.

Given a far future context, one item of future regalia to consider might be the briefcase, an item containing the codes and communications equipment by which the leader would launch a nuclear attack.

I'll like this idea {steals it} :D
I think I'd give it an extra twist by implanting the nuclear "football" or its equivalent into the user and as we're talking regalia I'd make it semi-visible maybe the Emperor has a ruby set in his forehead about where the center of a diadem would be. This ruby is actually the IR or laser communicator which gives him access to the Imperial dooms day arsenal :devil:

The British used gorgets, a metal disk hanging below the neck that had evolved from neck armor into something purely decorative - you could restrict that to a certain class of honor-holder.

Most European armies of the 19th century used the gorget and it does indeed come from medieval plate armour. All officers supplied themselves with a gorget, usually of a pattern and metal defined by the higher command or unit the officer belonged to. The practice was for the duty officer or officer of the day at a post to wear his gorget to show he was on duty so that a messanger entering the post could identify him easily. The Germans retained the gorget into the 20th century and certain NCOs wore it. I'm not sure if gorgets are associated with any sign of nobility or noble order but its certainly possible, especially for those serving duty in the Emperor's presence.

Collars (which look like a Mayor's chain of office) are associated with knightly orders. Most have a collar from which the badge of the order is suspended. Some have a star worn on the breast of a coat or uniform, ladies sometimes get a rather ornate ribbon on to which the badge of an order is pinned and worn like a brooch.

In heraldry a noble's arms (i.e. his shield with the "coat of arms") or banner was given to his agent to show that the agent acted as his proxy.

There's also the marshal's baton, a short ornamented stick denoting supreme authority over military forces.

Sorry for the wall of text.

And for the Pope there's the triple tiara, the ring of the fisherman and the stole with the pins in it representing wounds and nails.

The Triple Tiara hasn't been used for the last 4 popes (JP I, JP II, B XVI, F); its symbolism was specifically as monarch of the Papal States, and since the last vestiges of same have been ceded to italy, during WWII, it's not appropriate. Paul VI refused to wear his following Vatican II.

The Ring of the Fisherman is unlike most in that it's actually the seal, and each is custom made only after the enthronement - each is unique, and each is destroyed upon the death of the pope.

The Pallium (it's not a stole) with its jewels isn't papal regalia, per se, as every archbishop gets one, and it isn't passed on, either - every archbishop or patriarch with one gets buried in it; it's a liturgical vestment, and clergy are buried ready for liturgy. Popes Benedict and Francis have returned to the large form for themselves, and allow archbishops to opt for the large form rather than the ring-and-tabs of the small roman form. Eastern Catholic Bishops (not just archbishops) have the omophorion (byzantine rite term - other rites use different terms), which is from the same prototypical garment.

The actual papal regalia are the white simar and zuchetto (which are given the moment the new pope accepts the election), the red shoes and the fisherman's ring (commissioned for use at the enthronement 2 weeks later), the keys to Castel Gandolfo, and the Papal Throne in St. Peter's Basilica.

The Pallium is a sign of being an Archbishop; the Crozier (shepherd's crook) is regalia of every bishop, as is a ring-seal with their personal arms; the liturgical miter is technically a crown (Eastern Rites' miters still match the traditional crowns of the various regions) and is a bishop's vestment.

The Triple Tiara hasn't been used for the last 4 popes (JP I, JP II, B XVI, F); its symbolism was specifically as monarch of the Papal States, and since the last vestiges of same have been ceded to italy, during WWII, it's not appropriate. Paul VI refused to wear his following Vatican II.

[snip]

The Pallium is a sign of being an Archbishop; the Crozier (shepherd's crook) is regalia of every bishop, as is a ring-seal with their personal arms; the liturgical miter is technically a crown (Eastern Rites' miters still match the traditional crowns of the various regions) and is a bishop's vestment.

Thanks Aramis thats what I get for writing without reference materials to hand. But you've also reminded me of two things.

There have been many Papal Tiaras and twenty-two are still in existence and on display. The most famous Papal Tiara was made for the coronation of Gregory XVI in 1831/2 but contains jewels who's provenance can be traced to 562AD. Which brings me to a good point:

Many pieces of regalia and other artifacts contain famous jewels with their own history and/or pieces of older regalia remade into the new.

The mention of the personal arms of bishops reminds me that in place of a helmet in a knight's arms bishops, archbishops and cardinals get ecclesiastical hats. In style they are large brimmed with a low crown. The rules of heraldry give different colours and different numbers of knots on the hat cords for the various ranks, starting with six for a bishop

Getting back to Magnus's original idea. The spear or standard borne in front of the Emperor brings to mind the Roman standard or Aquila. Not in usage but form. Its also suitably imperial. There's even a cool latin term for the guy who carries it; the Aquilifer, or eagle-bearer.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Roman_aquila.jpg

You could make the eagle holographic or animatronic, each pose could signify the different degrees or state of war.

Wowsers!

Thank you all so very much. Turns out to be a slightly more complex subject than I thought when I tossed it up here.

I was speaking with Count Interhaus yesterday and he had some comments. His first that a spear is a footman's weapon and as such not worthy of a sovereign to bear or have borne. On the other hand, lances are regal. So, he is cool with a Lance of State, but not a Spear of State. He did think that spears are fine for military unit standards though. His other comment was that the Emperor should use lances where I have the spear in the OP, but with no ribbons till completion and the target enbossed on the handle.

Right now the Sword of State is looking to be an Absurdly Sharp Blade of about 3cm width of stasis field reinforced diamond.

Well, company came by so must dash.

Spears are easier than lances to get through most doorways. ;)

Unless your Emperor rides a horse, I can't see how a lance is any more "regal" than a spear. I don't know of any Terran historical precedents that have taken this view. If you really want to go futuristic with it, maybe it should be the "FGMP of State"?

Thanks Aramis thats what I get for writing without reference materials to hand. But you've also reminded me of two things.

There have been many Papal Tiaras and twenty-two are still in existence and on display. The most famous Papal Tiara was made for the coronation of Gregory XVI in 1831/2 but contains jewels who's provenance can be traced to 562AD. Which brings me to a good point:

Many pieces of regalia and other artifacts contain famous jewels with their own history and/or pieces of older regalia remade into the new.

The mention of the personal arms of bishops reminds me that in place of a helmet in a knight's arms bishops, archbishops and cardinals get ecclesiastical hats. In style they are large brimmed with a low crown. The rules of heraldry give different colours and different numbers of knots on the hat cords for the various ranks, starting with six for a bishop

Tassels: Starting with 2 for a priest, actually. Simple priest, 1 per side. Rectors 2 per side, canons 3 per side, archpriests (IIRC) 3 per side. Abbots, auxiliary bishops 6 per side. Ordinaries (including bishops) 10 per side, Patriarchs 15 per side. In the UK, ordained ministers of all churches may use the 1 per side.

Headgear: the hat referenced is the roman Galero. Modern ecclesiastical heraldry allows use of the miter in place of the Galero, or it may be omitted, with the tassels pendant from the cross. The Catholic use forbids Catholic clergy from use of civil style crowns/circlets; the exception being where the miter still matches the civil crowns. (which would be the Middle East and the Slavic states.) The hat may be directly arising from the arms, or may be surmounting a cross in the case of bishops, abbots, and ordinaries.

I was speaking with Count Interhaus yesterday and he had some comments. His first that a spear is a footman's weapon and as such not worthy of a sovereign to bear or have borne. On the other hand, lances are regal. So, he is cool with a Lance of State, but not a Spear of State.

Bearded spears and halberds were both signs of rank for officers from the mid 1600's to the mid 1700's. Later on the Spontoon became a mark of the Sergeant. Practically they are useful for dressing ranks and somewhat useful for self defense.

Bearded spears are what Yeoman warders (Beefeaters) carry.

Practically I would point out, as other have, that lances are difficult to carry vertically. a mounted knight can rest it on his foot or stirrup but the center of balance is made for horizontal use. Are you thinking jousting lance or something more javelin like?

There's nothing very regal about the more modern lance which consists of a lance head a counter weight and a length of bamboo.

Tassels: Starting with 2 for a priest, actually. Simple priest, 1 per side. Rectors 2 per side, canons 3 per side, archpriests (IIRC) 3 per side. Abbots, auxiliary bishops 6 per side. Ordinaries (including bishops) 10 per side, Patriarchs 15 per side. In the UK, ordained ministers of all churches may use the 1 per side.

Headgear: the hat referenced is the roman Galero. Modern ecclesiastical heraldry allows use of the miter in place of the Galero, or it may be omitted, with the tassels pendant from the cross. The Catholic use forbids Catholic clergy from use of civil style crowns/circlets; the exception being where the miter still matches the civil crowns. (which would be the Middle East and the Slavic states.) The hat may be directly arising from the arms, or may be surmounting a cross in the case of bishops, abbots, and ordinaries.

Darn it Aramis you have a bigger bookshelf than me :eek:o:

While it is perfectly possible that whoever designed Cleon I's regalia went back to Terra's history for inspiration, it seems to me that all these suggestions show a certain lack of imagination.

I think the regalia of the Third Imperium would combime symbols of both the 1st and the 2nd Imperiums (Like the double crown of Upper and Lower Egypt).

IIRC Hiroshi I never called himself emperor, but Hiroshi II probably had a crown made. Did it have symbols drawn from the Terran Federation Navy? Admiral's rank symbols perhaps?

I suggest that the Vilani chaplet (the circle with an off-center circle cut out of it) comes into it somehow. It's true thatGT:Nobles says that the only heraldic use of the Vilani chaplet in the 3rd Imperium is on the arms of the Order of Sylea, but using it on regalia is not heraldic use, is it?

BTW, I seem to recall several pictures of Strephon (and one of Lucan) in ceremonial dress. Having a look at them might give some ideas. From what I recall the Imperial robes are somewhat minimalist when it comes to symbols. Perhaps the Emperor of 11,000 worlds is so powerful that he deliberately eshews symbols of power. He has no need to impress people with glitter and gewgaws!

Hans

While it is perfectly possible that whoever designed Cleon I's regalia went back to Terra's history for inspiration, it seems to me that all these suggestions show a certain lack of imagination.

I think the regalia of the Third Imperium would combime symbols of both the 1st and the 2nd Imperiums (Like the double crown of Upper and Lower Egypt).

IIRC Hiroshi I never called himself emperor, but Hiroshi II probably had a crown made. Did it have symbols drawn from the Terran Federation Navy? Admiral's rank symbols perhaps?

I suggest that the Vilani chaplet (the circle with an off-center circle cut out of it) comes into it somehow. It's true thatGT:Nobles says that the only heraldic use of the Vilani chaplet in the 3rd Imperium is on the arms of the Order of Sylea, but using it on regalia is not heraldic use, is it?

BTW, I seem to recall several pictures of Strephon (and one of Lucan) in ceremonial dress. Having a look at them might give some ideas. From what I recall the Imperial robes are somewhat minimalist when it comes to symbols. Perhaps the Emperor of 11,000 worlds is so powerful that he deliberately eshews symbols of power. He has no need to impress people with glitter and gewgaws!

Hans

I did suggest/ask about links to vlani symbols further up thread in my last post, but it seems to have been overlooked.

does Vlani script lend itself to caligraphy? i think something like the ottoman Tughras would make a intresting and "different" symbol of the emperor.

also, if your surrounded by High admirials, Dukes, and other nobility done up in the latest fashions and court finery, wearing a rather toned down and "simple" style of clothing can be it's own form of emphasis, highlighting the fact your confident enough that don't need to dress fancy to display your power.

...Practically I would point out, as other have, that lances are difficult to carry vertically. ...

As a symbol, it does not have to be utilitarian. It could indeed be no more than five feet long, even less, simply designed to look like a lance, with a rondel guard for the hand and a point at the tip.

Alternately, there was also a very interesting knight's polearm for fighting afoot, a 5' to 6' pole with a grip/guard a couple feet from the top, more of a spike head than a spearhead, at the base of the spike a short hammer backed by a short hook. Designed for 1:1 combat against heavily armored foes, knock them down or pull them off balance and then use the spike to threaten them into surrender or to dispatch them. (Thus the guard in front of the forward hand, more to prevent the thing from slipping while you were shoving it through armor.) A kind of spear, but a knightly weapon intended for honorable individual combat against a fellow knight. They're calling it a Martel de Fer on the site, a kind of war hammer, but with a spike tip. In this context, it could be presented at court as indicating the will of the Duke of Sylea to have the fellow be his champion in a fight against some opponent of high rank, where it would be inappropriate for the Crown to engage a subordinate in such a fight.

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-12108760-medieval-knights-in-combat.php

Fox-Davies Art of Heraldry don't fit on a small one. ;)

Ooh, I have one of those! Relic of my heraldry days.

Fox-Davies Art of Heraldry don't fit on a small one. ;)

Fox-Davies, A Complete Guide to Heraldry here :D

A small thought I've had on badges of rank in a future with Augmented Reality.

Magnus started me thinking about Orders of Knighthood IMTU. I've never gone into great detail about what the various, badges, collars and ribbons of the orders look like, assuming they are just there in the background. However it has now occurred to me that as well as these physical symbols knights and peers could be virtually tagged with symbols of rank.

Practically I'm thinking that as my PCs navigate their way through the court they may see an icon like a chess piece knight or a coronet of rank float above some people when using augmented reality enabled glasses/handcomps/comms. Displaying such an AR tag would be the same as pinning on a badge, ribbon or sash. Indeed I'm thinking that such objects may have Radio Frequency tags carrying this information built in. Imagine your PC being awarded symbol of his or her rank that has an RF tag in it that carries the same information available in the T5 patent of nobility cards.

Its a little bit beyond Travellers' usual space opera vibe but it may inspire someone wishing to use essentially medieval symbols in a much more high tech setting. The intent of regalia, badges and heraldry after all is to make the wearer readily identifiable as to his position, rank and identity.

Why is always the semi-throwaway posts?

Fox-Davies, A Complete Guide to Heraldry here :D

A small thought I've had on badges of rank in a future with Augmented Reality.

Magnus started me thinking about Orders of Knighthood IMTU. I've never gone into great detail about what the various, badges, collars and ribbons of the orders look like, assuming they are just there in the background. However it has now occurred to me that as well as these physical symbols knights and peers could be virtually tagged with symbols of rank.

Practically I'm thinking that as my PCs navigate their way through the court they may see an icon like a chess piece knight or a coronet of rank float above some people when using augmented reality enabled glasses/handcomps/comms. Displaying such an AR tag would be the same as pinning on a badge, ribbon or sash. Indeed I'm thinking that such objects may have Radio Frequency tags carrying this information built in. Imagine your PC being awarded symbol of his or her rank that has an RF tag in it that carries the same information available in the T5 patent of nobility cards.

Its a little bit beyond Travellers' usual space opera vibe but it may inspire someone wishing to use essentially medieval symbols in a much more high tech setting. The intent of regalia, badges and heraldry after all is to make the wearer readily identifiable as to his position, rank and identity.
Several things.

1. Just have to say, I dig the .sig line, gravity is PITA.

2. Continuing to be amazed at the sheer volume and details this thread is attracting. And quite happy.

3. The above bit with the RFIDs/AR Tags, that is some cool stuff. I am of course going to incorporate that I think.

4. Glad I kicked you into a creative phase. My muse is generous like that. :)

Back