• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Imperium's information highways

rancke

Absent Friend
Here's the outputs from a whole set of runs, with varying assumptions. Note that all figures are averages over the very long haul - corresponding to dozens of jumps or traveling halfway across the Imperium or more. Over shorter distances, the varying performance of individual ships and links won't average out, resulting in far different travel times (for example, crossing a prosperous cluster it may take only a smidgen over 3 weeks to traverse 18 parsecs by J-6 liner, but crossing a backwater on a Subsidized Merchant, it may take 16 weeks to cross 8 parsecs).
Since a single J6 liner is enough to convey information at its top speed, I will ignore the slower merchants. I don't dispute that backwaters will get their news late. What I'm concerned about is chiefly sector and subsector capitals.

COMMERCIAL ASSUMPTION 1 - Assumes a "pony express" style message hand-off. All runs use XMITTIME=2 hours (not that transmission is slower, but that commercial passenger liners have other things to do immediately before and after Jump, so will not transfer messages as promptly as Xboats) and DISPATCHRATE=24 hours (to reflect daily scheduled ships). Also assumes a randomly-determined network of high-population worlds.
It wouldn't be randomly determined. It would depend on available passengers willing to pay for high-performance service or belonging to organizations that they can persuade to pay for it. In other words, millionaires, Imperial officials, and corporate bigwigs.

For estimating total passenger numbers I'm using GT:FT. For estimating how many of them are bigwigs, I'm going with 1% of the total, which I'm quite sure is lowballing the figure tremendously. A case could be made for almost all long-distance (more than one or two jumps) travel being bigwigs.

Links between worlds may not always operate at maximum possible jump if suitable worlds are closer than JUMP parsecs. There are assumed to be no gaps in the network - either suitable high-population worlds are never more than JUMP parsecs apart, or some links operate at a loss, perhaps under subsidy).
You're overlooking the passengers that want to visit that world two or three or umpteen jumps away and don't care a whit for the intermediate stopovers.

Let's take a concrete example: Deneb to Mora. Deneb has a WTN of 6 and Mora one of 6.5. Distance is 20 parsecs. BTN is thus 6+6.5-2.5 (for distance) or 10. Passenger BTN is thus 11 due to Mora's status as a sector capital (I don't count it twice as both subsector and sector capital).

A passenger BTN of 11 means between 500,000 and 1,000,000 passengers per year or between 1369 and 2739 per day. This number should almost certainly be doubled, as, unlike goods, many passengers will eventually want to return home, so it's probably 1369-2739 Denebians and returning Morans going to Mora and 1369-2739 Morans and returning Denebians going to Deneb. But let's ignore that. If just 1% of the passengers (13-27/day) are bigwigs, you have a basis for a small high-performance Deneb-Mora passenger service that crosses 20 parsecs in 4 jumps without caring about intervening worlds.

(As it turns out, Deneb to Mora is a bit wrong as an example, because the optimum route happens to go via Vincennes, so you'd have additional passengers that only want to go from Deneb to Vincennes (and back) and from Vincennes to Mora. And on top of that you get every passenger from everywhere else in the Imperium who wants to visit Mora. I can't estimate just how many that will be, but the passenger BTN between Capital and Mora is also 11, so just from Capital you get another 500,000 to 1,000,000 per year. And I'm very much inclined to believe that more than 1% of them will be bigwigs.)

Anyway, I see no reason to believe there won't be commercial support for connections between high-population worlds that are quite distant from each other.

Subsidies may come into play in some cases. The Usani-Mora run would possibly not have enough passengers to support a high-performance passenger service, since Usani has a population of only 2 million[*]. A subsidized J6 connection to Hdr would allow bureaucrats from Usani to link up with the 17-parsec-in-3-jumps route to Mora (And the J5 to Vincennes route too).

[*] Though it's pretty likely that a much higher than average proportion of those 2 million are Imperial bureaucrats and corporate lobbyists and such-like. (or perhaps there are millions of lobbyists that don't count because they're transients and travel back and forth every few months ;))
Navigational efficiency is assumed to be comparable to X-boat (67.5%) or Navy (82.5%) networks, since both of these are randomly determined.
You may or may not have a point there. The Deneb-Mora example averages 5 parsecs per jump, which is 83% efficiency before taking handoff time into account. On the other hand, Usani to Mora is 23 parsecs in four jumps, an average of 5.75%. Vincennes-Mora is 6 parsecs/jump.

It would really be necessary to calculate each main route in the Imperium specifically. Back when I had a computer that could run Galactic, I mapped out a J6 route from Capital to Mora that had the occasional short jump to accomodate important worlds. Unfortunately I can't find the figures, so I can't say anything more about the efficiency.

Note:I suspect that non-X-boat message performance in the Imperium circa 1100 falls somewhere in the range indicated by Commercial Assumption 2 and Commercial Assumption 3. Freight and passenger movement is slower due to longer times required to physically move freight and passengers. Using XMITTIME=48 hours to handle passengers, luggage, and express freight, produces the following chart. Note that ordinary (non-expedited) freight would move even more slowly.

Once a passenger liner arrives in a system, priority news can be transmitted to the mainworld in whatever time the available bandwidth will allow. After that, the information can leave any time an outgoing ship is sheduled to leave, quite possible long before the incoming ship reaches port.

I think handover times for the main news items would be much lower than your estimates. Bulk mail would be quite a different matter.

COURIER NETWORK - Assumes a "pony express" style message hand-off with XMITTIME=1 hour and departures every other day (DISPATCHRATE=48 hours). Note that by increasing the dispatch rate to 1 ship every 24 hours, these networks will approximate the performance of a dedicated point-to-point courier to within 0.1 parsec/week. Increasing the dispatch rate will also roughly double the cost of maintaining the network.

It would double the cost unless it was a sunk cost, the owning organization having to pay for those couriers anyway. In wartime, J6 couriers (not just J6 -- I'm sure the IN will have some couriers with lesser jump capacity) are needed in great numbers to collect and disseminate information. In peacetime, those couriers would be used for optimizing transmission of reports and orders for no other reason than that they're there.

With enough couriers, the IN could even use the multiple courier scheme to increase information speed. Dispatching two couriers at the same time to the same destination decreases the average transmission time by about 6 hour. Four couriers get the average down by about another 2 hours. Beyond that point the law of diminishing returns apply with a vengeance.

There's even evidence that the IN does employ such measures. There are three TNS newsbriefs datelined Regina in 1112 that quote dispatches that have been brought from Terra to Regina in 336, 375 and 375 days. I've estimated the number of jumps from Terra to Regina via Capital and Mora to be 56, for an average transmission time of 6 days 0 hours for the first and 6 days 17 hours for the two others. By assuming deep space fuel depots in strategic places I can shave 5 jumps off that, for averages of 6 days 14 hours and 7 days 8 hours. Alternatively, by assuming a direct run from Deneb to Regina (instead of detouring through Mora), I can shave off two jumps, for averages of 6 days 5 hours and 6 days 23 hours. But that includes handoff time.

My preferred explanation is no deep space fuel depots (or perhaps one or two), direct Deneb to Regina routing (54 jumps), efficient handoffs, double couriers, one extremely lucky run (could be a record) and two average ones. YMMV, but whichever options you choose, the IN quite evidently is very much on the ball when it comes to moving information.

Incidentally, those three newsbriefs are also proof that the IN carries news for civilians. I guess they don't prove that the IN also carry government dispatches, but I think that's a pretty good assumption.

Hans

Last edited:
J6 Route

It is interesting that just before reading this thread I was looking at the 6 route between Vincennes and Mora with Isurkun as a midpoint fuel stop.

(Otherwise a drop tank dedicated route from Vincennes to Mora and back, with no intermediate fuel stop [security reasons], acquiring tanks at each endpoint.)

I like J6 routes as you've described them, though I believe the J6 ships would do everything possible to make jumps of no less than J5. I do see a few reasons why they might go "slower" but few and far between.

I like J6 routes as you've described them, though I believe the J6 ships would do everything possible to make jumps of no less than J5. I do see a few reasons why they might go "slower" but few and far between.
Yes, the Deneb to Mora run is almost certainly going to be by J3 liner to Hdr, change to J5 liner to Vincennes, change to J6 liner to Mora via Isurkun. Possibly the J6 liners would do the 5-parsec jumps between Vincennes and Hdr too, to allow the passengers to enjoy an uninterupted residence for the whole ride.

Hans

Possibly the J6 liners would do the 5-parsec jumps between Vincennes and Hdr too, to allow the passengers to enjoy an uninterupted residence for the whole ride.
Hans

Just a sudden thought; how about some type of passenger module to be shifted between differing ships. These could operate similar to sleeper cars on long haul Rail Road Trains.

Back when I had a computer that could run Galactic

Hans FYI: I was able to get gal23 running on my win7 64bit laptop using dosbox

gal_000.gif

Hans FYI: I was able to get gal23 running on my win7 64bit laptop using dosbox
Thank you. I guess I should make another attempt to get it to work. Back in the day I found Galactic very useful. I still use the LOC files for my system notes, nowadays I just access them directly.

Hans

I'll post in the software section how to get it setup :) I hadn't looked at it awhile myself, thanks for bringing it back to my attention. The later Gal24 using visual basic, I think, would be harder to run.

Oh and besides the Imperial express boat network I would definitely think there must be a megacorporation or two that has rapid express between planets with financial markets no matter how far. Because to corporations information is money and information before its common knowledge is worth even more. My two bitcoins of thought ;)

I'll post in the software section how to get it setup :) I hadn't looked at it awhile myself, thanks for bringing it back to my attention. The later Gal24 using visual basic, I think, would be harder to run.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Oh and besides the Imperial express boat network I would definitely think there must be a megacorporation or two that has rapid express between planets with financial markets no matter how far. Because to corporations information is money and information before its common knowledge is worth even more. My two bitcoins of thought ;)
I'm convinced that all the megacorporations have J6 couriers. But Guy is quite right about the massive expense of getting those final hours wrung out of a courier network. I don't think even a megacorporation would be able to afford a system that could beat the Naval network as I envisage it (and as I think there is canon evidence for). And if the 'NavyNet' carries civilian information, one obvious kind of civilian information to get the priority treatment would be financial news.

There may even be an Imperial edict or regulation about the Imperium not being allowed to play favorites (written for the X-boats, but applied to NavyNet too)

On the other hand, the NavyNet "bandwidth" is probably far too low to carry all the financial information for every member world. Perhaps it would be able to at least handle all companies with Imperial charters? Reports issued by the Imperial Ministry of Commerce perhaps? I really have very little idea of the amount of information that would be involved.

Hans

civilian vs. military info channel transfer times

I remember something, probably from the I.R.I.S. info in OTU, JTAS article regarding the fact that Imperial Authority routinely exploits the lag between 'the rate of information dissemination via everyday traffic' vs. the real speed of the xboat network. it boils down to the question of 'how soon does the Spinward Marches find out the Emperor is dead?' in the canonical sense but it was very clear that Nobles and well-informed insiders would have truly important intel days before the General Populace, and could thus put plans in place to 'deal with all contingencies'.
that savvy or underhanded parties could also use this, is obvious, for political, or naturally, commercial ends.
the system was described as having lots of automation, encryption and other handwavium cladding to prevent leaks before the ISS, aka 'Imperial Intelligence' wanted the info out of the bag.
the idea that 'official' channels wouldn't include fiscal info of a deep and detailed nature seems unlikely to me.
bandwidth is dirt cheap at these techlevels, and when you're dealing with "the Are-yu" as a basic unit of exchange, you can definitely afford 'the fastest possible route'. a megacorp tipping it's hand as to just how close to as fast as the Throne's Agents they can move data might just result in some "issues" for them.
just saying.

I remember something, probably from the I.R.I.S. info in OTU, JTAS article regarding the fact that Imperial Authority routinely exploits the lag between 'the rate of information dissemination via everyday traffic' vs. the real speed of the xboat network. it boils down to the question of 'how soon does the Spinward Marches find out the Emperor is dead?' in the canonical sense but it was very clear that Nobles and well-informed insiders would have truly important intel days before the General Populace, and could thus put plans in place to 'deal with all contingencies'.
That is certainly a canonical statement. It's from MT. My thesis is that the story doesn't work. It contradicts other canonical facts, such as the existence of navy couriers, the employment of J5 couriers by a subsector-wide company, and the ability of civilians to have J6 ships built.

Hans

Back