• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The SciFi20 Project

By "this stuff", I meant the canon documents of SciFi20 and T20 which are copyrighted to FFE (1977-2014) but are sold as "QuikLink Interactive" products at some PDF web stores.

As a player, I never really cared just thought it was a cool way to use d20 rules while still using the books and modules from CT.

My CD case (the one from the FFE store) still bears the QLI logo but is clearly marked as a FFE product ((c) 1977-2014). The RPG Realms logo is gone as is the official "d20 system" logo.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/95100/SciFi20-Players-Guidebook

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/160094/D2001-Traveller20-Core-Rules-Set

If anyone can correct me, I would be very thankful. I love this version. I know there are viewpoints and opinions. The artwork is fantastic and I am happy that it is still available.
Not to be funny.
What question? SciFi20 has been de-Traveller'd. If the artwork is Traveller it would be gone. But generic stuff would stay. It's generic. FFE probably negotiated for the printing rights to D20. In the past we do not have access to all of the historical Traveller printed material because rights to print we're not secured by GDW(Marc and Frank) / FFE (Marc). QLI may have maintained the rights to public material already on the market (Gateway sector, etc).

You're looking at the wrong license... the D20M STL, I believe.

The actual D20M OGL license is a standard Wizards 1.0a OGL. Which allows using everything in the SRD....

Thing is, you can bring over character creation from other OGL SRD's with just extra declarations, so the lack of CGen was a speedbump.

Thank you Aramis. That makes sense. It seemed dated.
It's a refresher. I recall reading all these SRDs 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Not to be funny.
What question? SciFi20 has been de-Traveller'd. If the artwork is Traveller it would be gone. But generic stuff would stay. .

My point is that the Traveller20-to-SciFi20 conversion is not the most ideal example ( in terms of educational value) of using the OGL 1.0a (section e), but I think it is sufficient based on the circumstances.
I was speaking more in terms of the OGL as it is (at its simplest form).

The original artwork is not gone.

All interior artwork of the SciFi20 bundle of books is the work of Bryant, Daly, Fidler, et. al., taken from the T20 Handbook (They are credited, of course and probably agreed to share their work). Cover Art of T20 was by D. Mattingly and by Bryan Gibson for SciFi20. I think that Gibson also did the referee's screen .

The descriptive text covering the Khuur and Vorfen are identical to the descriptions of the Sydites and Vargyr, respectively.

I love poring over the artwork in these books.

Last edited:
My point is that the Traveller20-to-SciFi20 conversion is not the most ideal example ( in terms of educational value) of using the OGL 1.0a (section e), but I think it is sufficient based on the circumstances.

All interior artwork of the SciFi20 bundle of books is the work of Bryant, Daly, Fidler, et. al., taken from the T20 Handbook (They are credited, of course and probably agreed to share their work). Cover Art of T20 was by D. Mattingly and by Bryan Gibson for SciFi20. I think that Gibson also did the referee's screen .

The descriptive text covering the Khuur and Vorfen are identical to the descriptions of the Sydites and Vargyr, respectively.

I see.
Yeah I don't have Scifi20, so I'm not comparing only commenting. I agree it's not ideal. The art in T20 was designed for a time 100 years before the 3I golden age. This is an advantage since it would not require the same effort to replace if "Traveller" logos are not stamped everywhere.

There a many directions to go with Open Licensing beyond D20. Do you know of any websites that compare rule set quality? I think it's purely personal preference.

I see.
Yeah I don't have Scifi20, so I'm not comparing only commenting. I agree it's not ideal. The art in T20 was designed for a time 100 years before the 3I golden age. This is an advantage since it would not require the same effort to replace if "Traveller" logos are not stamped everywhere.

There a many directions to go with Open Licensing beyond D20. Do you know of any websites that compare rule set quality? I think it's purely personal preference.

If you are interested in the Traveller SRD document and the Traveller Logo License, here they are

Mongoose Traveller 1.1 SRD
The Traveller Logo Licence with Open Game License 1.0a

For d20 rules, I think the best place to start is with the "Hypertext d20 SRD."
d20 3.5 SRD

d20 Modern:
d20 3.0 SRD

d20 Fifth Edition:

Fifth Edition Basic Player's Guide
Fifth Edition Basic DM's Guide

What I appreciate the most about Hunter and MJD's work is that they seem to have taken the best elements of d20 modern setting 3.0 and d20 version 3.5and made the resulting product easy to play without too many unnecessary complexities

I hope some of this is helpful.

Last edited:
If you are interested in the Traveller SRD document and the Traveller Logo License, here they are

Mongoose Traveller 1.1 SRD
The Traveller Logo Licence with Open Game License 1.0a

For d20 rules, I think the best place to start is with the "Hypertext d20 SRD."
d20 3.5 SRD

d20 Modern:
d20 3.0 SRD

d20 Fifth Edition:

Fifth Edition Basic Player's Guide
Fifth Edition Basic DM's Guide

What I appreciate the most about Hunter and MJD's work is that they seem to have taken the best elements of d20 modern setting 3.0 and d20 version 3.5and made the resulting product easy to play without too many unnecessary complexities

I hope some of this is helpful.

Sure I haven't reviewed 5.0. There is also D6, Pathfinder and others. A lot of material. MJD's contribution to T20 was above and beyond. Agreed.

Hunter was pathological about buying full rights, not just first use.

Back