• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Secret of Olafur Magnusson

jatay3

SOC-13
At Hofnir Starport, on Anduril:

Two weary spacers, Njal and Thor are quietly sipping there drinks at a small but well-known Brubecks. They are telling many a tale of near and far.

Njal says: "I've gone on many a voyage with Magnusson. Aye he's a good fellow; feeds us well, treats us proper, doesn't get to mad if we come back
drunk from port leave."

Thor: "They say there's more about him that meets the eye. I've heard rumors you know..."

Njal: "You'll hear a lot of things from rumors...but in this case it's true"

Thor: "You mean he's working for the Impies..."

Njal: "What you think I'd would hire out to him if he was?"

Thor: "While you might have helped him work with the Impies against someone besides our people, couldn't you?"

Njal: "He isn't working for the Impies; he isn't even working for the SWC. Do you really want to know? It'll cost you another drink"

Thor: "Very well"

Thor buys another round and they sit quietly

Njal continues: "He's working for the Forbund"

Thor: "Which 'Forbund'"

Njal: "Kulturhistoriskt Forbund. They pay him to ferry their researchers to various places"

Thor: "Well that's a let down, but I might expected it. Nothing interesting ever happens."

Njal: "Why just next week were shipping a professor
named Valdemer off to some planet aways away. We've all been promised a real hefty bonus."

Thor: "Well I hope you enjoy it. Personally I'm happy enough to take some time off and visit my folks farm"

As they chatter away a mysterious figure slinks out of the bar.

A week later the "Talisman" comes out of jumpspace. The navigator takes his bearings.

He says: "Sir, i'm afraid we've misjumped"

Later the engineer comes with his report:"Sir no question, we've been sabatoged."

An alarm bell starts to ring:
"Ships to starboard-and they look like Impies"

Olafur shouts out: "Njal, can't you keep your mouth shut. I warned you about telling 'bar-stories'"

Thomas Catone IISS, captain of the of the Odeysseus class, Disguised Scout Cleopatra*
waits by his ship

A mysterious figure comes by.

Thomas says: "have you found out what I want to know?"

The man replies: "The Talisman is leaving in a week"

Thomas: "Very good, can we stop it"

The man replies: "don't worry I know how to handle the problem"

Thomas: "I'd rather NOT know, thank you. I'll leave that up to you."

The Man says: "what about my pay"

Thomas replies: "your first half has already been deposited in your account as agreed"

The Mysterious Figure slinks away

Thomas sighs. You can meet some pretty nasty people in this line of work

*a new invention: a purpose-built reconisance ship desquised as an Empress-Marvara. Has a great jump capibility, and is equipped with numerous easily disguiseable sensory devices

Back