• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Vision For T5

Avery

Administrator
Administrator
The Vision for T5 --- Traveller 5th edition.

Traveller 5 has its roots in T4… When I was asked to tab in the errata to the T4 rules set, I replied that there was so much to do that I would have to re-write rather than simply edit existing text. I began doing that task in mid-1997.

Traveller 5 also has its roots in Classic Traveller. Now, a return to CT is impossible, if only because CT does not have tasks, which I consider a central requirement of a modern working RPG. T5, however, is committed to being a single coherent game system which is firmly grounded on CT, but which learns the lessons of 20 years of publication.

The core of T5 is the basic rules book, to be set in some as yet undecided era. In addition, the core rules set will include (in several volumes) Atlas, Tech Reference, and Companion, all dedicated to detailed the basic concepts and rules of the game.

Additional milieux will be handled with the Stand Alone Entry Point concept: basic rules books which repeat the essential rules, but edited to correspond to the specific milieu. For example, The Interstellar Wars would cover space combat in more detail, with careers appropriate to the Terran Confederation (and the Ziru Sirka). The Long Night will cover the period between the Rule of Man and the Third Imperium. Etc. Etc.

Ultimately, I think that T5 and CT will co-exist much like original and Advanced D&D. Each serves its own audience and demographics. In that sense, Classic Traveller will remain in print even after T5 is published.

I am delighted to see T5 with such a grandiose vision! I have played Traveller since CT back in 1980. IF you have yet to decide upon a Mileau for T5, let me advocate that one or two mileaus be presented initially with one of those settings being the Far Future.
Why the Far Future? Because everyone already knows the history and the past. If we want new blood/players, we need a setting where grognards like us can't debate canon and alienate newbies in the progress. What better way than to see what the universe of Traveller would be long after the Virus and the "New Dawn." In such a setting, the canon is whatever you determine it to be , or the players
smile.gif

I agree with the ImperialOne. Although I've enjoyed reading the Milleu 0 Campaign, I was never prompted to playing it. It seemed to me and my fellow players that some options were closed because the "history of the future" was already written. I am afraid that the Milleu 200 will have the same problem. Go ahead and give us the Far Future!

I also think that the way forward is the way forward... the past is fascinating and should be explored, but I think it's time to continue developing from 1130/1200.

I think the idea of jumping far ahead in the post virus timeline is an excellent idea. This creates a completely new setting for Traveller, which makes the newer players on equal footing with the grognards. I know of several posts I have seen here and there where people feel "left behind" in the deeper discussions of the the old canonical debates. As an older player, I can appreciate the familiarity of the CT technological restrictions, but would love to see the emerging cultures and societies in a fashion similar to T4's beginning of the Third Imperium.

T5 - The Far Future
A new vision with a fresh canvas to paint it on...

------------------
Roger Barr
Lucky Credit GM
TravelerGM@aol.com

I agree with the other posters. Though I'm a Traveller since 1979, I'm tired of the debates on cannon and what is the GNP of Regina. It would be exciting and refreshing to experience a new Traveller universe.

Good luck. Looking forward to T5

------------------
Merchant 4 Terms Cr~5000
786AB7
Pilot-2 Trader-2 Streetwise-3
JOT-2 AutoPistol-1 Vacc-2 Admin-1

Even more importantly, a T5 set in the Far Future could also delve into more exploration of the unknown (i.e. Galactic Core), rather than focus within. It is usually a society that looks to expand its horizons that give an impression of growth & vitality... compared to those older/decaying government structures that focus within their own borders.

The Far Future is OK, but as a grognard aspirant, I'd prefer 1120 or even 600.

I played back in the early eighties, got away from Traveller during and after college and am now looking to get my group back into it, and I like the CT setting - there's still a lot to it for me and my group to discover and do there.

If you want something different, make a complete break and make it set in a completely alternate universe (using the same rules system will show that it can be done a la CT).
It could have a similar feel and play but avoid any complaints from rookies or grognards alike in how to integrate it with previous canon. (Crossovers would be inevitable I suppose.)

Personally, I'd be happy to see a Milieu free core rulebook, much like the LBBs were. I'm sure that some generic stuff could be included in the book to get newbies started without getting involved in the whole canon thing.

At the risk of a me-too, I must say that it's time to move on. Let bygones be... My one beef with the Imperium was that there was never anywhere "new" to go. I want to see some completely fresh material, not just mouldy, warmed-over reprints and retro art. New places, new things! Put the old mysteries to bed and make all the answers to them common knowledge (since they are anyway), and give us some bright, shiny new ones to play with. Let us look back upon TL15 and think: "How much simpler and more brutal life must have been for those poor, impoverished barbarians of the 1100s."

Once again this will be defined by the marketing strategy.
If the target is the grognards, it simply doesn't matter the setting, people will buy anyway, this is a faithfull public.
If the target is general public and new gamers then the setting has to be in the future beyond the virus era. The new players should not be limited by grognards that keep teeling the future, this is very upsetting for new players and will reduce the play value.
Best regards

------------------
Vicente

[This message has been edited by Vicente (edited 22 February 2001).]

If a vote will have any effect, here's my vote in favor of milieu-free basic rules also.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Takei:
Personally, I'd be happy to see a Milieu free core rulebook, much like the LBBs were. I'm sure that some generic stuff could be included in the book to get newbies started without getting involved in the whole canon thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unreal John:
If a vote will have any effect, here's my vote in favor of milieu-free basic rules also.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree - the basic rules do not need a milieu. To use a model based on CT, if books 1-3 are the rules, a Book 4 could be packaged providing a base starting milieu for those who want one. But the milieu specifics shouldn't be built into the rules, that makes other milieu's harder.

StrikerFan

On the other hand (for example), I envision EVERYONE (Terran) in the Interstellar Wars is in the Navy... The Fighting Fleet, the Exploration Corps, the Construction Service, the Logistics Service, etc.

And the Vilani have different careers. It gets hard to have a "generic" system as a foundation, and then tailor it to each / every milieu.

I envision instead a rules book specifically for selected milieux... that incorporates the specific rules you need. I have (in other posts) called this a Stand-Alone Multiple Entry Point.

But not every Terran was directly involved wih the Interstellar War. Somebody has to support life back home. Although their number may decrease during this time, I see no objections to people living in traditional ways (barbarians) or any no-military related carrier during the war (I'm sure that somebody in the board will post real life numbers about the percentage of population directly involved with war).

The careers should be generic enough to englobe characters from several cultures. CT (except some alien modules), MT, and T4 are already written in this way. Additional careers may appear in mileu specific books to add some flavor, as well as some may be prohibited -- it would be weird to have nobles in a equal rights society.

I still remember that the first Traveller books I got have no reference to the Imperium or such. We start playing it anyway. As a matter of fact, many people uses Traveller's rules in home made setting very different to the official campaign.

Best wishes,
Ronaldo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Avery:
On the other hand (for example), I envision EVERYONE (Terran) in the Interstellar Wars is in the Navy... The Fighting Fleet, the Exploration Corps, the Construction Service, the Logistics Service, etc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Including the ground troops? I can see it being possible, but it is a little unusual. Mind you this is probably not the thread to get into a detailed discussion ablut this :*)

How about a core rules system that includes several generic careers (pirates, belters, etc.), and then millieux specific careers published with each separate background?

Mike

<SNIP>
It gets hard to have a "generic" system as a foundation, and then tailor it to each / every milieu.

I envision instead a rules book specifically for selected milieux... that incorporates the specific rules you need. I have (in other posts) called this a Stand-Alone Multiple Entry Point.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I strongly agree with your initial point, though I am not sure of the merit of your example.

The mechanics of a RPG do more than assist on deciding the outcome of actions. Much of the tone, the feel of a game is controlled by the way the mechanics help form the game universe.

There sounds like the potential for a lot of duplication though with each era with its own rule book.

------------------
Mark Lucas
Lucas-digital.com

Ultimately, I think that T5 and CT will co-exist much like original and Advanced D&D. Each serves its own audience and demographics. In that sense, Classic Traveller will remain in print even after T5 is published.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is the case, is there any possibilities of new CT material? Could some or all of the T5 sourcebooks have compatibility with CT as well ( assuming the rules are different enough to warrant it.)

A little while back I suggested an addition to the CT reprints - the "New Classic Adventures" book. It wouldn't be hard to create a set of adventure/sourcebooks in the style of the original adventures. Ten per volume, with as much background as the original CT adventures. Best if they were themed - "The Spinward Main", "Navy Adventures" etc.

Thoughts, anyone?

Back