• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Three dumb design questions

I think that plankowner hits the nail on the head when he says, There is a Force of Gravity and an Acceleration due to gravity. Most people use the terms interchangeably because the MASS is constant.

This I think has been the root of our disagreement. While I was thinking (perhaps incorrectly) of acceleration solely in terms of a resultant (sum, total, overall, net, whatever term is mathematically correct) change in velocity, you were using it to denote a force.

DaveShane said Accelleration and velocity are not the same thing.
I have never tried to claim that acceleration was velocity, I am not sure how you jumped to that conclusion. What I was trying to explain was that when you were saying 4G acceleration, I was misunderstanding what you what you were saying as an overall (net, total…) acceleration and not a force, but thanks to plankowner, I think we are now on the same page, regarding this topic in terms of the real world.

DaveShane said That planet is pulling down at the constant acceleration of 40 m/s^2 (4Gs.) In order to lift from that planet you need to apply a constant acceleration (from thrust, lift or some other means) greater than the acceleration of the planets gravity. If you don't apply that 4G acceleration you are stuck on the ground. If you stop applying the 4G acceleration before acheiving escape velocity you will fall back to the surface.

I attempted to say this very thing, however where you use the term acceleration I was using the term force. Even if I was using incorrect terms I think you could get what I was trying to say, this is not a physics class afterall. What I said was, ” For any given mass M, on a 4G world it will have a weight of 4M. In order to accelerate that mass vertically we gave to apply a thrust force greater than 4M, that is all. It is not a matter of acceleration. It is the excess force above 4M that will cause acceleration.”

Again I agree in the real world, but as I will illustrate later, the real world has very little to do with space travel in Traveller.

DaveShane said: In your propsed alternative gravity is changed from being a force in it's own right capable of applying an acceleration to a divisor (in the language of math a scalar as opposed to a vector) of another bodies force. Apples in your universe don't fall from trees. They stay just where they are untill something pushes them. If whatever pushes them pushes them up they will eventually reach orbit. This is demonstrably not the case in either the real world or the Traveller aproximation thereof.

This where you loose me and I apologize if my limited knowledge of physics is frustrating you. I am not trying to say that gravity should not be a force, and I am not trying to rewrite Newton and I would still want apple to fall (unless they were in zero G ;). My proposed equation was merely an attempt to apply what another poster had called handwaivium to the question. As stated earlier the Traveller universe is a bizzaro universe where mass does not matter, thrust does not exist and the limiting factor to a ship’s acceleration is its volume. This acceleration is expressed as a whole multiple of 1 earth gravity.

As Arimis and other people have said, if mass remains constant you can factor it out. True enough in the real world, but in Traveller a ship’s acceleration remains constant regardless of mass. Let’s look at this example, assume a ship floating free of any gravity well for the following:

200 ton Free trader volume has a volume of 2800 cubic meters. 1 Ton = 14 cubic meters.

If a full 10% of that ship is the hull, bulkheads, super structure and other solid components, and all of that has the same density as iron, that ship would have a mass of 2,204,720 KG (Density of iron is 7874KG per cubic meter X 280 Cubic meters.)

If that ship is running with its hold empty, using F=MA the force needed to accelerate that mass at 1 gravity is F = 2,204,720 X 9.81 F= 21,628,303.2 Newtons

Yet if that same ship’s cargo hold is filled entirely with uranium it will still accelerate at 1 gravity using the same engines and the same power despite having an additional mass of 21,869,400 KG (82 tons X 14 cubic meters per tone X 19050 KG per cubic Meter of uranium.)

Plugging these numbers into F=MA, this same ship’s engines are now capable of producing a thrust of 239,167,117.2 Newtons.

Feel free to plug in any other reasonable assumption for the mass of a ship you want and I am still highly confidant in saying that nobody would concede the above is even remotely possible in the real world.

In the Traveller Universe that is the way things are, so please tell me, given all the above disregard for RW Physics, why on a high G world would the equation A=N/G be so unreasonable a convention to ease game play. I would even be open to a limiting factor of A=N for gravities of less that 1G.

For added fun, if we could take those 239 million Newtons and apply them to an empty ship

F=MA, 239 000 000 = 2 200 000 X A A would equal 108.6363… Meters per second squared or approximately 11 Gs. On a 4g world you would still have a net acceleration of 7Gs

So for the sake of RW accuracy IYTU you are free to apply any real world equation and value for any force, acceleration or gravity you wish. IMTU I’ll stick with the game rules and let reality flavor the game play not take it over.

Respectfully,
R

PS Just for comparison, according to Boeing, a 747-8 has a Maximum Takeoff Weight of 960,000 pounds (435,456 kg) and thrust of 66,500 pounds.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747family/747-8_facts.html

Hi Rover !

As I tried to say in my last post, there are perhaps some details missing in Traveller and quite a few things in Traveller contradict each other.

If you use CT rules it it pretty clear, that m-drives are fully influenced by gravity.
So here the formula would not be A=N/G but A=N-G (considering just vertical movement).
A pretty elegant handwave to explain the 1g ship lift-off problem is to consider a kind of overdrive, allowing to boost m-drive rating for a limited time. But this is not noted in the core rules and a problem with gas giant refueling may persist.

If you use MT rules, there is a design sequence, where local gravity is completely neglegted (=m-drives negate an amount of local gravity) in contrast to thrust-based vehicles and there are travel times to orbit given for 1g ships and size A worlds.
Besides that, MT does not make (AFAIK) any useful statements regarding m-drives and gravity.
So here the formula could be simply A=N.

Using A=N/G represents a TU, where the effect of local gravity is reduced, so this solution is located somethere between CT and MT. Guess thats perfectly ok, its just another TU and is just as realistic or unrealistic as any other TU using reactionless drives

This behaviour could be caused by some antigrav units integrated in the maneuver drive package. Those will offer supporting lift under local gravity conditions (working even more efficient under high-g conditions) but dont have effect in deep space.

Anyway, as long as you mess around with those reactionless drives, you must not use any of Newtons reaction formulas.
CTs maneuver drives take out those part of physics there these formula could be used.
What you of course could do is to use the formula to calculate the amount of "real world" thrust necessary to reach the same accelaration.
Think of a gravitational effect, and just like a stone and a feather will fall with the same accelaration in vacuum, because mass does not matter, a ship will fall to its destination with the same accelaration, regardless if the cargo hold is full or not.

regards,

Mert

MT uses exactly the same formulae to orbit as CT. Once in orbit, any continuous acceleration drive system can break orbit, courtesy of orbital dynamics.

SSOM simply gives an explanation for the odd-end of the chart: 1G drive on size 8, 9 & A worlds.

And you're quite wrong about Newtonian rules of motion. You just have to change the frame of reference to find the reaction mass for the so-called reactionless thrusters: Planets and Stars, and/or the universe itself, or at least the local space-time curvature.

Hi !

Where do I find the formula "to orbit" in CT ?
Edit...Hmm, guess I found it...
Does the calculation of athmo velocity for thrust driven vehicles and m-drives in MT come from Striker ?

Regarding Newtons stuff:
Aramis ???
The whole m-drive thing is highly unphysical. So it really make no sense to mix it with real world physics.

regards,

Mert

The only thing non-newtonian about CT/MT drives is the nature of the reaction mass. Since frame of reference is important, one can simply put that the gravitic drive uses the rest of the universe for reaction mass.

Traveller ships do adhere to the other two directly. When at rest, they remain at rest; when in motion, they remain in motion.

Using the rest of the universe as reaction mass, they appear to evade #1: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. They do, however, given a frame of reference, including other massive objects, have an equal and opposite reaction below measure. That's not exactly canon, but it's close enough.

Yes, MT design is essentially striker. Only a pen, a couple of armor values, and the variety of options don't match.

Back