• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TNE FF&S Mk I Mod 0 Turret & Barbette

snrdg082102

SOC-14 1K
Hello all,

I have tried to replicate the Turret and Barbette using the Cylinder equations for Surface Area and Volume.

The only item I am not close on is the Surface Area:

The equation I have for surface area is (2 x Pi x r x H) + (2 x Pi x r^2)

Does anyone know of a spreadsheet (MS Office or Open Office) that automates the process for building a turret or barbette?

If there is no spreadsheet is it possible for someone to provide an example that returns the specifications for a FF&S turret and barbette please?

And that assumes that they're fully external.

Are we even sure they're cylindrical? The barbettes on the Gazelle are boxes, and the exposed turret area on a lot of the Scout representations is a hemisphere, more or less.

Hello elbmc1969

And that assumes that they're fully external.

Are we even sure they're cylindrical? The barbettes on the Gazelle are boxes, and the exposed turret area on a lot of the Scout representations is a hemisphere, more or less.

TNE FF&S Mk I Mod 0 (January 1994) Book III: Weaponry Lasers 3A p. 126

3A. Standard Socket-Mounted Lasers
Most starships are fitted with one or more of two standard-sized sockets.These sockets will accept standard-sized lasers, missile launchers, and nuclear dampers. These sockets come in two sizes, referred to by tradition as turrets and barbettes.Turret sockets are 3 displacement tons (42 cubic meters), and barbette sockets are 6 displacement tons(84 cubic 2 meters). Both sockets are cylinders, with the following dimensions:

The structure that houses the weapons are the exposed end of the cylinder.

Hello all,

I have tried to replicate the Turret and Barbette using the Cylinder equations for Surface Area and Volume.

The only item I am not close on is the Surface Area:

The equation I have for surface area is (2 x Pi x r x H) + (2 x Pi x r^2)

Does anyone know of a spreadsheet (MS Office or Open Office) that automates the process for building a turret or barbette?

If there is no spreadsheet is it possible for someone to provide an example that returns the specifications for a FF&S turret and barbette please?

Yes, there is an excel spreadsheet that does this.

Hello Theophilus,

Yes, there is an excel spreadsheet that does this.

I have a couple of Excel spreadsheets that were built using earlier versions of Excel that I have not been able to get to function in my 2010 version.

If there are any that will work in Excel 2010 could you please provide a link to them ?

which spreadsheets do you have, that is who is the originator?

I installed excel 2000 on my windows 8 laptop, so I don't have any problems.

You might try loading your spreadsheets in to a) Google Sheets or b) Libre/OpenOffice. They might load there, may even work.

I was fortunate to have LibreOffice open up some 30+ year old word processing files I stumbled upon. I have no idea what the original word processor was, the files didn't even have an extension.

But LO figured it out and loaded them up, I even got the associated, embedded illustrations. There were some issues (I assume) with the conversion, but the result was head and shoulders above what I had before.

I was quite impressed.

Won't that old spreadsheet that I rehabilitated (a couple of years back) do the trick? I've certainly used its turret sheet to calculate things.

Hello Theophilus,

which spreadsheets do you have, that is who is the originator?

I installed excel 2000 on my windows 8 laptop, so I don't have any problems.

They are
Ssw-1B; FFSXL97, Rb98r4, Gary Seebo's guns big and small, Roger Malmstein: Vb-98r5 & ffs weapon design.

My attempts at contacting the creators of the spreadsheets has failed.

Hello whartung,

You might try loading your spreadsheets in to a) Google Sheets or b) Libre/OpenOffice. They might load there, may even work.

I was fortunate to have LibreOffice open up some 30+ year old word processing files I stumbled upon. I have no idea what the original word processor was, the files didn't even have an extension.

But LO figured it out and loaded them up, I even got the associated, embedded illustrations. There were some issues (I assume) with the conversion, but the result was head and shoulders above what I had before.

I was quite impressed.

My last attempt to open them used Apache Open Office 4.1.3. Where do I find LibreOffice?

I and a couple of family members had a bad experience with Google products so I stay away from them.

Hello Theophilus,

I've got BR-98r4. and a couple others.

Drat the web gremlins are playing games again. When I downloaded them they worked in my old MS Office. When I upgraded computers and Office they stopped working. I may have BR-98r4 too, but most of them loose the macro links or some bit of formula. I've attempted to fix them but have made them worse instead.

I slapped together a spreadsheet that builds empty turrets and bays that seem to work. Thank you all for the response.

Back